Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

big nipples big life posted:

MoMA what are your top 5 video games?

Games that finished development I mean.

-Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy and Mechwarrior 3
-CS through Source
-DCS and other flight sims
-UT
-Hello Kitty Island Adventure

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Can anyone do the maths on how much money in bandwidth has been wasted with the lovely patcher so far? That seems like the biggest waste of backer money that could actually be estimated and presented as a 100% Bad Thing to even the densest of backers

It's about a penny per gigabyte. So someone that downloads the game will be around 30 cents and every patch will be around 20 cents.

So if someone with a starter package would download the game/patch it around 150 times CIG will lose money.

The ironic thing is the reason they haven't messed with the patcher is probably an economic one. No one plays it, so it is cheaper to pay for the surplus bandwidth charges than it is to hire folks to reduce the costs.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's about a penny per gigabyte. So someone that downloads the game will be around 30 cents and every patch will be around 20 cents.

So if someone with a starter package would download the game/patch it around 150 times CIG will lose money.

The ironic thing is the reason they haven't messed with the patcher is probably an economic one. No one plays it, so it is cheaper to pay for the surplus bandwidth charges than it is to hire folks to reduce the costs.

Hmmm, thanks.
Seems to me like the only real way to actually put forward a good argument about the waste of backers money, the other upside being that the faithful would be in a position where:

More players = more waste
less players = less waste

So they'd have the head spinning choice of admitting higher wastage by CIG or offsetting that by acknowledging the dwindling player base. Either way it's funny

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

-CS through Source
-UT

Is the joke that you only like games designed in the 90s?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

drat

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Raskolnikov posted:

From that Wired article from two years ago:

:lol: Why is this always so funny?
One of these things is not like the other!
That was before I threw in the towel (:10bux:) and decided I was sick of being called a goon with no actual goon status. Although my favorite goon requotes came from the old thread when it would be publicly viewable. Some classic requotes from my RSI account. Goons couldn't believe someone could be so deluded until others would suggest a re-read while wearing their sarcasm hat.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Raskolnikov posted:

I don't think it's a joke - that trait is pretty much universal among SC backers.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hey, how do you expect the ship to stay protected and weather the hazards of space if it's not wearing its space helmet, huh? :colbert:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

quote:

On a related note, I saw some questions about how more players would participate with the long-awaited delta patcher system. We're hard at work on this and are happy to say we're reaching some very critical milestones!

This is incredible news. A delta patcher, bog-standard with every product since the dawn of Chris leaving the industry (which incidentally coincided with it starting to get good), is so complicated for CIG that they're "hard at work" on it.

Hard at work. On a delta patcher.

But wait - it's all OK - because they're reaching critical milestones.

Never mind asking "what milestones could something as simple as a patching program possibly entail" because that just shows that you do not understand just how complex and ahead of the rest of the industry CIG is. Also please disregard the fact that we haven't reached these milestones, but that we are reaching them. Please don't pay attention to any of this.

Just remember that a game company that can't get a fundamental, ubiquitous industry standard functioning, after years of effort, is absolutely going to be able to make this impossible game. We can prove it because we're reaching some very critical milestones.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Wee

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

This is incredible news. A delta patcher, bog-standard with every product since the dawn of Chris leaving the industry (which incidentally coincided with it starting to get good), is so complicated for CIG that they're "hard at work" on it.

Hard at work. On a delta patcher.

But wait - it's all OK - because they're reaching critical milestones.

Never mind asking "what milestones could something as simple as a patching program possibly entail" because that just shows that you do not understand just how complex and ahead of the rest of the industry CIG is. Also please disregard the fact that we haven't reached these milestones, but that we are reaching them. Please don't pay attention to any of this.

Just remember that a game company that can't get a fundamental, ubiquitous industry standard functioning, after years of effort, is absolutely going to be able to make this impossible game. We can prove it because we're reaching some very critical milestones.

I'm going to archer this post for elsewhere. Consider your goon valour stolen.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

It's funny every time. Why is it funny every time?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Hmmm, thanks.
Seems to me like the only real way to actually put forward a good argument about the waste of backers money, the other upside being that the faithful would be in a position where:

More players = more waste
less players = less waste

So they'd have the head spinning choice of admitting higher wastage by CIG or offsetting that by acknowledging the dwindling player base. Either way it's funny

Right. Which boils down to their usual modus operandi in all their decisions such as taking on engineering debt. The space bus raised $500K worth of funding. There is no way in hell they can make the space bus and various mechanics (such as the infamous MixMaster 5000 and in-flight entertainment poo poo) for less than that. They live in a world of opposite land.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Right. Which boils down to their usual modus operandi in all their decisions such as taking on engineering debt. The space bus raised $500K worth of funding. There is no way in hell they can make the space bus and various mechanics (such as the infamous MixMaster 5000 and in-flight entertainment poo poo) for less than that. They live in a world of opposite land.

A competent developer could. But they'd also have a design document, a road map, trust in their team leads...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

ManofManyAliases posted:

Best post you've ever made

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share our plans for the 2.6.2 release today as we're nearing the final stages before going to Live!

2.6.2e-521264 is currently on PTU and is available to all players for testing. The Buccaneer has been made available for all PTU testers!
We've got a singular issue left that we are identifying where all pads are full. This is due to ships not being cleaned up as players leave the game.
A code build has just been completed and is now in internal QA testing.
Provided it passes, we will publish this update to PTU at approximately 3pm CDT/9pm GMT.
This is a Live candidate, so we expect to leave it up for a few hours. Players with fast internet and no bandwidth caps are encouraged to help us stress test!
Assuming this all checks out, we will then be publishing 2.6.2 to Live around 7pm CDT/1am GMT.
Shortly after the publish, we will announce sales information.

Stay tuned for more information! We appreciate everyone's help in getting 2.6.2 out the door; we're almost there!

On a related note, I saw some questions about how more players would participate with the long-awaited delta patcher system. We're hard at work on this and are happy to say we're reaching some very critical milestones!

For more information on the Turbulent side of the delta patcher, check out https://youtu.be/CPJK3KozJo4?t=955.
great job CIG, you beat the clock!

of course there will be like six more patches in the next few weeks because poo poo is broken af right now, whatever the new code did is making players and ships invisible and the framerate even worse

congrats on proving the leaks fake

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I witnessed a 10 mile freeway expansion with new bridges and ramps get built start to finish within the star citizen development.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Glad they are still claiming they are working on that delta patcher.

Early days.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Interesting SC namedrop in this article about Malaysian outsourcing.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/31/15125824/games-companies-outsourcing

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share our plans for the 2.6.2 release today as we're nearing the final stages before going to Live!

2.6.2e-521264 is currently on PTU and is available to all players for testing. The Buccaneer has been made available for all PTU testers!
We've got a singular issue left that we are identifying where all pads are full. This is due to ships not being cleaned up as players leave the game.
Provided it passes, we will publish this update to PTU at approximately 3pm CDT/9pm GMT.
This is a Live candidate, so we expect to leave it up for a few hours. Players with fast internet and no bandwidth caps are encouraged to help us stress test!
Assuming this all checks out, we will then be publishing 2.6.2 to Live around 7pm CDT/1am GMT.

Stay tuned for more information! We appreciate everyone's help in getting 2.6.2 out the door; we're almost there!

For more information on the Turbulent side of the delta patcher, check out https://youtu.be/CPJK3KozJo4?t=955.

How about no? Which pretty much explains why they're begging people to go download and play this tripe. Why aren't you playing, instead of typing on dead gay comedy forum?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Those guys take credit for everything now

https://twitter.com/3000ad_games/status/847508991718690817

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/847901032499884032

They tried to pull the same stunt back when we put Line Of Defense into Steam's CBT from Early Access, thus disabling the store.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 31, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

How about no? Which pretty much explains why they're begging people to go download and play this tripe. Why aren't you playing, instead of typing on dead gay comedy forum?

I'm working right now.

You?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
So you're the guy they are paying to check the thread these days. Good for you, that's a move up from writing the TOS.

Otherwise, that's a pretty funny response when you responded to him in less than three minutes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm working right now.

You?

Just chillin' and trollin'

Did my major update yesterday. With planets and everything.

http://lodgame.com/changelog/

MORE: http://lodgame.com/galleries/17-03-30/

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

what do these cnc renegade screenshots have to do with star citizen?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Alright Derek, spill the beans: How did you get Battlezone II: Combat Commander to work in Windows 10 like that?

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

TheAgent posted:

hello

• supposedly CIG working on something "exceptional" for E3
  • Roberts has been MIA the majority of the year
  • many design and gameplay changes are stalled due to lack of his approval
  • since leads left or were fired, almost all decisions sit with Roberts
  • CIG is using unpaid interns to help code and complete artwork
  • several backers have been selected to help the design team
  • special select backers were recently invited for an "appreciation" meeting/dinner
  • unsure what the criteria was, but one backer had purchased over $100,000 worth of ships
  • planetary module still coming along
  • loading screen transition still in
  • atmo fighting "in discussion"
  • Star Marine a failure, Roberts unhappy with it entirely
  • Roberts "imagined a different game" and blame devs that left for problems
  • top execs blame recent bad funding on backers unwilling to help more
  • "It's like giving a cat an Easy-Bake oven and expecting it to cater the Royal Wedding" on current tools
  • "Bullies playing with the nerdy kids toys" on new mocap

:pgabz: best read of the week

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

-CS through Source
-UT
You should check out Derek's game. It looks like it's from the 90's as well.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Cool, and I'm proud that you're actually doing work on it.

Question: how many players can you support per instance?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

I guess it's at least 2x SC.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I guess it's at least 2x SC.

Don't disparage SC's tech; at the current rate it won't be too long before they are able to fit all Star Marine players into a single instance.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

hello

• special select backers were recently invited for an "appreciation" meeting/dinner
  • unsure what the criteria was, but one backer had purchased over $100,000 worth of ships

I just caught this. Enjoy the expensive meal, idiots! After all, you paid for it. And then some.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well, they'll be broken down into separate instances, but everyone can see each other. You might cross a threshold into an open ship and then you jump into someone else's instance, creating a third instance within the ship. At that point if someone jumps into your sector they're bringing their own instance. All fidelitous of course. Spared no expense.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Is this an iOS or Android game?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I love how proud Derek is to post these ugly rear end screenshots like that was going to somehow shut MoMA up :xd:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hi everyone!

Huge milestone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Those are pretty drat ugly but also cute as hell :3: