Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

Looks like it's still in the planning phase. He's currently assessing whether there's a demand for a collector's (aka blinged out) edition and the answer seems to be no. I imagine a reprint will, at the very least, include errata'ed cards.

Tell him that I'd pay good money for a set of hero stands that actually let you see which student belongs to which player at a casual glance instead of having to peer at a tiny cardboard token from across the enormous table you need to play the dang game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Player-coloured wizard hats

terebikun
May 27, 2016
I was stoned in my LGS and grabbed Patchistory off the clearance rack for 15 dollars. Was this a good idea? I'm pretty sure I've heard it's good, and 15 dollars feels like a good deal. God I hope it's not bad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

terebikun posted:

I was stoned in my LGS and grabbed Patchistory off the clearance rack for 15 dollars. Was this a good idea? I'm pretty sure I've heard it's good, and 15 dollars feels like a good deal. God I hope it's not bad.

I have it and want to get rid of it, I really hate the game for reasons I can't properly articulate (and at least some of that is that I had a really negative first experience), but $15 is an insane steal and if you don't like it you can definitely flip it for more than that.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Countblanc posted:

I have it and want to get rid of it, I really hate the game for reasons I can't properly articulate (and at least some of that is that I had a really negative first experience), but $15 is an insane steal and if you don't like it you can definitely flip it for more than that.

Good to hear I can at least flip it! They also have Arctic Scavengers: Recon for 3 bucks, but I've already got Trains and not sure I can justify more than one deckbuilder.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Countblanc posted:

As a counter to this, we've played our copy at least 4-5 times, and enjoyed it each time except the first. The rules are badly written and vague in some places, it's really hard to learn from the rulebook. Definitely look up some player aids or such on bgg.

Overall, it probably takes longer to play than it should weight-wise, but it's definitely seen good play, and holy crap $15 is a really good price for it.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Is there a good way to stay on top of when Kickstarters launch? There are a few on my radar that I'd like to keep track of but it seems like inevitably I always end up forgetting about it. Also, more times than I can count I find a Kickstarter that ended months ago that just completely slipped by me.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Doug posted:

Is there a good way to stay on top of when Kickstarters launch? There are a few on my radar that I'd like to keep track of but it seems like inevitably I always end up forgetting about it. Also, more times than I can count I find a Kickstarter that ended months ago that just completely slipped by me.

Isn't there a way to setup notifications for specific KS? I feel like that's a thing.

Gonna play a 2, possibly 3/4 game of Colonists tonight, really hoping for The Alchemist and Altruist colonies to be available. I balled hard on the Envoy Colony last 3 player game and it was fun. Oh, you're taking an Improvements strategy? Have fun with my steward parked on the Developer space :angel:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

terebikun posted:

Good to hear I can at least flip it! They also have Arctic Scavengers: Recon for 3 bucks, but I've already got Trains and not sure I can justify more than one deckbuilder.

Recon is an expansion that is now included in the base game, which is why it's so cheap.

Game's not great anyway though

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
What's the deal with Tabletopia? I just recently discovered it, and the number of games on there is pretty amazing. However, any time I've been there it seems like a ghost town.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Doug posted:

There's a weekly roundup on a board games subreddit.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What are some good dungeon board games? Heard positive things about Gloomhaven.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

What are some good dungeon board games? Heard positive things about Gloomhaven.

Having tried lots of them, they're all orders of magnitude worse than gloomhaven.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dungeon Lords / Dungeon Pets :v:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The D&D boardgames (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt) are decent, and my group had a lot of fun playing through all the scenarios.

But yeah, just wait until next week and pre-order Gloomhaven.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Decent 2nd Edition became markedly better with the app that turns the game in to a coop dungeon crawler.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Doug posted:

Someone linked this to me a bit ago:

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games/tabletop%20games?ref=discovery_overlay

It's not a total round-up per se, but it's a good look at what's out there at the moment.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

FulsomFrank posted:

Someone linked this to me a bit ago:

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games/tabletop%20games?ref=discovery_overlay

It's not a total round-up per se, but it's a good look at what's out there at the moment.

There's also https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/219329/2017-kickstarter-boardgame-projects

e: So did anyone end up backing Rising Sun? Someone in my group did, so I'll get to try it I guess!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

T-Bone posted:

There's also https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/219329/2017-kickstarter-boardgame-projects

e: So did anyone end up backing Rising Sun? Someone in my group did, so I'll get to try it I guess!

I did. It looks interesting to me and I think Lang is talented enough to make this work.

Worst case is it's dogshit and I trade it away but I think that would be quite the disaster.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

FulsomFrank posted:

I did. It looks interesting to me and I think Lang is talented enough to make this work.

Worst case is it's dogshit and I trade it away but I think that would be quite the disaster.

I was planning on it but two of my friends already backed it, so I probably don't need my own copy. (I do need my own copy).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure someone in my group backed Rising Sun but I am very happy I did not.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Radioactive Toy posted:

Decent 2nd Edition became markedly better with the app that turns the game in to a coop dungeon crawler.

Misspelling Descent as Decent always makes me chuckle, especially in this context.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doug posted:

What's the deal with Tabletopia? I just recently discovered it, and the number of games on there is pretty amazing. However, any time I've been there it seems like a ghost town.

It has no real target audience. I was really excited for it because it seemed like an officially supported way to play online modules of some games I really like like Codex and Gloomhaven, but it isn't rules-enforced or in the case of Gloomhaven updated with much content (there is a single scenario). Basically people who just want to pirate games with fan made modules already have Tabletop Simulator if they're cool with no rules and janky physics.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I watched the Rising Sun gameplay video through the first season. I don't know if they're playing with an older version or something, but I've spotted two rules mistakes. When Dragonfly harvests he takes a reward where the Turtle clan has a stronghold, Turtle has higher honor and their strongholds count as a model so they should have the highest force in that province. Then when the war phase starts, Koi turns their coins into ronin, but their ability does the opposite; he uses them interchangeably so I guess it works out fine, but still odd.

I really like the look of the mechanics in the game, but I hate the kickstarter business model. It probably has something like a 25% chance of being poo poo, 50% chance of being decent, and a 25% chance of being amazing. If it ends up being amazing I'd regret not having the kickstater version with all the bells and whistles and extras. But if it ends up being only decent then I'll regret having paid $150 for an OK game. It'll probably be pretty easy to flip for the money back, but that takes time and effort. Ugghhh.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I bought Mechs vs. Minions thinking "If it's bad I can flip it," and it wasn't bad but I also didn't want to keep it. When it came time to sell it and I thought of trying to ship that giant loving box I said gently caress it and sold it to a local guy for $70.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I'll probably be getting Rising Sun just because there are (surprisingly) not too many games in the 6 player range that are not a party game or 8 hour 4x game for my Friday night game group. I have plenty of 2-5 player dungeon-crawlers and euros, and 7+ players are great for Secret Hitler, but most of the time 6 is the magic player number that show up for our group and we end up always playing Power Grid or 7 Wonders. The game looks serviceable, and during the diplomacy bits I can send my friends text messages full of anime to psych them out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm thinking about getting Rising Sun mostly because it's 60-70 minis for $100 and I can use all those minis for a fantasy ranked battles or skirmish game for much cheaper than they normally would cost. I'll probably end up doing a solid Rutibex and make some dumb homemade counters for the actual game or just use the components for another game, since it doesn't sound like it'll be all that great.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ross Perowned posted:

I'll probably be getting Rising Sun just because there are (surprisingly) not too many games in the 6 player range that are not a party game or 8 hour 4x game for my Friday night game group. I have plenty of 2-5 player dungeon-crawlers and euros, and 7+ players are great for Secret Hitler, but most of the time 6 is the magic player number that show up for our group and we end up always playing Power Grid or 7 Wonders. The game looks serviceable, and during the diplomacy bits I can send my friends text messages full of anime to psych them out.

6 player games:
Colt Express
Sushi Go Party
Libertalia
Between Two Cities
Lords of Waterdeep + Expansion
Camel Up

Not yet played:
Argent + Expansion
Viticulture

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ross Perowned posted:

How you don't have city of horror I'll never understand. 6 players optimal, 90 minutes.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Shadow225 posted:

6 player games:
Colt Express
Sushi Go Party
Libertalia
Between Two Cities
Lords of Waterdeep + Expansion
Camel Up

Not yet played:
Argent + Expansion
Viticulture

I cannot recommend Sushi Go Party or Viticulture enough.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Kashuno posted:

I cannot recommend Sushi Go Party or Viticulture enough.

My copy of Waterdeep ironically got into some water damage, and I've played Libertalia but wasn't really thrilled with it. I do need to get Between Two Cities at some point.

Rising Sun just seems like a fun game and players will have their own cool figs instead of a hand of cards.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Argent is a fun game. I didn't like it with 5-6 players though. Was a bit too slow with that many. It's a great 4 player game though.

Viticulture has an interesting theme but it hasn't clicked super well for me yet, but I've only played it a few times.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Mission: Red Planet and Pictomania are also really good at 6.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Viticulture is a neat game but I am currently really loving mad at it after being stymied the past two games by bad orders, visitors, and grape draws. Tuscany fixes a lot of these problems though so I have to use the expansion more.

How have I not heard of Between Two Cities until now? It looks really cute.

What are people's thoughts on it?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll recommend Not Alone for most number of players, up to 7. It's surprisingly solid at all player counts, but it's more of a mind game at lower counts, and a game of attrition at higher.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

Viticulture is a neat game but I am currently really loving mad at it after being stymied the past two games by bad orders, visitors, and grape draws. Tuscany fixes a lot of these problems though so I have to use the expansion more.

Do you like drafting games, especially 7 Wonders? You will probably love it. In my experience, people really enjoy it for the coop and building aspects. You may have to explain how each piece scores a few times, but they're fairly easy. I truthfully haven't played it since picking up Sushi Go Party, but I'm still hanging onto it because I feel like it's just different enough from other drafting games to keep around.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

FulsomFrank posted:

Between Two Cities is a really neat little game, easy to teach and fast to play. Its a drafting game where you're working together with the person on either side of you. You build one city cooperatively with the player on your left and another cooperatively with the player on your right; your final score is the weaker of the two cities. As a light filler I recommend it.

I haven't played enough times with the same group to see how it fares when played super competatively. The optimal strategy seems to be building one city focused on factories and another focused on houses, with parks/shops being solid situational choices and avoiding taverns/offices, but being a drafting game everyone going for the same strategy makes that strategy less effective.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

Viticulture is good but I'm finding it too long and random at 5-6 players..

I like Between Two Cities a lot more than 7 wonders, it's easier to teach as well. It plays 1-7 but 2 is a lie and 1 merely tolerable, 3-7 all play very nicely (and similarly). The partnership aspect has me caring about my neighbours just the right amount. I really like the middle round shaping/ruining your cities trying to fit the double-sized tiles.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So, anyone heard much about Codenames Duet?
Looks like it's a variant of Codenames for 2 players, where the identity legend cards are double-sided, showing half the "good" agents to one player and the other half to the other player.
The players alternate giving clues/guessing, avoiding the two assassins. Seems pretty neat, but actually sounds a bit too easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

rchandra posted:

I like Between Two Cities a lot more than 7 wonders, it's easier to teach as well. It plays 1-7 but 2 is a lie and 1 merely tolerable

Two is actually pretty good if you use the variant on BGG to use the Automa cards for the dummy player