Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

hopefully she has a somewhat grounded and realistic relationship, like Amy and Rory got, and not like anime ninja maid and vore fetish lizardwoman. Actually, I hope Moffat kills those two before he leaves.

Those two characters are cool though? I really have never understood the hate for The Good, The Bad and The Potato Gang.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Burkion posted:

That's not what was said at all.

Come on man, you're better than that.

I have little patience for people who want characters to be killed off at all. I have substantially less patience in cases like these.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't care if Moffat's pet characters get killed off, I just want them to fade away and go unused during Chibnall's run. The universe feels small when you keep returning to the same five side characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Let the Paternoster gang jump over to Big Finish where they rightfully belong. We got Jago & Litefoot & Strax....give me Vastra & Jenny & Quick next.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Let the Paternoster gang jump over to Big Finish where they rightfully belong. We got Jago & Litefoot & Strax....give me Vastra & Jenny & Quick next.

Vastra is in a story in the next Churchill set.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Has there been any word about the Paternoster gang being in this season, come to think of it? I really don't think Chibnall will use them, and I'd think Moffat would want to revisit them one last time for sentimental reasons.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

AndyElusive posted:

Those two characters are cool though? I really have never understood the hate for The Good, The Bad and The Potato Gang.

One of my favourite jokes was when Richard E Grant said he thought Sherlock Holmes was based on Vastra and went:

Imagine how people would react if they found out the legendary detective was...

*pulls off Vastra's veil, revealing the reptile monster beneath*

...a woman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't care if Moffat's pet characters get killed off, I just want them to fade away and go unused during Chibnall's run. The universe feels small when you keep returning to the same five side characters.

I feel like it's best for each showrunner to develop their own supporting cast(s). RTD had (variously) Rose's family and Martha's family and Captain Jack and Wilf while Moffat's had River, the Paternosters and a few others. I'm sure Chibnall will have some folks of his own.

That said, I think the difference between, say, Jackie and Mickey and the Paternoster Gang is that the latter and their relationship to the Doctor are less well-developed (at least in my opinion). Jackie and Mickey get to grow as characters over the course of their appearances but Vastra, Jenny and Strax (who I don't dislike at all, I should say) arrive fully-formed and stay that way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a couple of other things that I suppose belong in this thread:

Newsbeat reports that Phoebe Waller-Bridge is now the favourite for the Thirteenth Doctor; and

Radio Times says that the Doctor will be "trapped on Earth" in season 10.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Considering the second episode is the one with the emoji bots, I'm guessing he's not stuck on Earth for very long.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Can't wait for the meltdown for a female doctor

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

GonSmithe posted:

same. It's going to be really funny.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
People will call it 'Nurse Who', and I won't know how to feel.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bill being gay is cool. Representation is fantastic and it's about time. As a bonus, there's no chance of there being an awkward romantic tension subplot.

The next Doctor likely being a woman is also great and about time and oh god dammit they're going to do an awkward romantic tension subplot if Bill sticks around aren't they.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

Bill being gay is cool. Representation is fantastic and it's about time. As a bonus, there's no chance of there being an awkward romantic tension subplot.

The next Doctor likely being a woman is also great and about time and oh god dammit they're going to do an awkward romantic tension subplot if Bill sticks around aren't they.

Once Gon brought up the next Doctor being a woman

I went from being okay about Bill being gay to horrified

Those *FUCKERS* stop making the Doctor and the Companion do this stop it

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

Jago & Litefoot & Strax & Vastra & Jenny & Quick & Ellie & Captain Jack

:swoon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

I'm skeptical it'll happen. The "favorite of people gambling on it" stuff is fun, but the articles in which it was clear that the BBC had emphasized a "dashing young doctor" and "romance" and hearkening back to the Tennant days makes it feel like Chibnall's hands were tied out of the gate.

I would be extremely happy to be proven wrong, though, and would yell "In your face, cynic!" at my past self.

As someone who's probably liked Moffat's run a bit more than most of the posters in this thread though, it was time for him to go either way. This is a template show that is best served by change, and there's a reason that Moffat's quirks are starting to grate. The superhero Christmas special would have a lot more of a middling fun romp if I could have written off the superhero guy and his girl Friday as typical low-level sexism instead of rolling my eyes and gnashing my teeth at The Stephen Moffat brand of warped relationship dynamics.

I hope he comes back to write a bottle episode every three seasons or so, though. I really liked Heaven Sent, and that kind of self-contained, reflective episode with bookends, repetition, and a basic horror of some kind is something he was always good at, from the RTD years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I'm skeptical it'll happen. The "favorite of people gambling on it" stuff is fun, but the articles in which it was clear that the BBC had emphasized a "dashing young doctor" and "romance" and hearkening back to the Tennant days makes it feel like Chibnall's hands were tied out of the gate.

Sure, as much as I would enjoy the Thirteenth Doctor being played by Ruth Wilson or Natalie Dormer or whoever else, I fully expect it will Ben somebody like, say, Aidan Turner.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Watching homophobes on social media melt the gently caress down over Bill is really giving me life. Like...do these people really spend their daily lives in a state of constant fear that the gays are taking over television?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Watching homophobes on social media melt the gently caress down over Bill is really giving me life. Like...do these people really spend their daily lives in a state of constant fear that the gays are taking over television?

The gays, blacks, asians, etc. Anyone not straight and white, basically. I noticed they tested the waters a bit last season with Clara hinting at same sex dalliances.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

The gays, blacks, asians, etc. Anyone not straight and white, basically. I noticed they tested the waters a bit last season with Clara hinting at same sex dalliances.

Yeah, people are latching into that too. "Clara was bi! Bill doesn't need to be gay, you people just got representation!!"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Especially over a show whose whole ethos is "approach the other with kindness. Even if they are scary ancient lizard monsters, they probably have a legitimate grievance you should listen to instead of just trying to blow them up." Like what are those kinds of people getting from Doctor Who?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah, people are latching into that too. "Clara was bi! Bill doesn't need to be gay, you people just got representation!!"

Christ. :cripes: Yes, don't be greedy, gays! You got Clara! And Captain Jack only 8 years ago!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Christ. :cripes: Yes, don't be greedy, gays! You got Clara! And Captain Jack only 8 years ago!

I never counted Jack as he was more of a recurring guest than a full time companion. Plus they wrote him as coming from a time when pan/Omni sexuality was the norm.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Clara who had a series long arc centered around her heterosexual relationship. But they slipped in that one line about her snogging Jane Austen! Totally equality there!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

I never counted Jack as he was more of a recurring guest than a full time companion. Plus they wrote him as coming from a time when pan/Omni sexuality was the norm.

If we can count John Hurt as a Real Doctor, we can give Jack Full Companion status. He's still very important from our early 21st Century viewpoint for representation, regardless of where/when he's from.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: NEW TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbJqNa0_Oz0

That final shot :stare:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lance Parkin said on Facebook something like "You know, I'd rather than the new companion was a middle-aged man obsessed with the television shows of his youth, and the new show runner was a 28 year old lesbian interested in showing us a new side of the Doctor that we've never seen before" and I can't say I disagree with him.

That said, woot! More gay characters in prominent TV roles! More concrete and unambiguous representation!
(Please don't gently caress this up Moffat)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
did missy dab?!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Wow, this season looks like it's shot pretty well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

did missy dab?!

She most certainly did

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Lance Parkin said on Facebook something like "You know, I'd rather than the new companion was a middle-aged man obsessed with the television shows of his youth, and the new show runner was a 28 year old lesbian interested in showing us a new side of the Doctor that we've never seen before" and I can't say I disagree with him.

I mean isn't that basically RTD in a nut shell?

Only instead of 28 he's literally a monster from the show on the loose?

The joke is that he is a tall, tall man

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

DoctorWhat posted:

did missy dab?!

UGGGGHHHHHHH

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Eiba posted:

I like this post, and the journey it takes.

jivjov posted:

Wait, was she? I missed that. I've only watched most of Clara's episodes one time, though, and I missed a couple with 12. I remember Danny as being the only real romantic interest, in story or even in passing.

edit:

Box of Bunnies posted:

Clara who had a series long arc centered around her heterosexual relationship. But they slipped in that one line about her snogging Jane Austen! Totally equality there!

I guess I should have kept scrolling. I don't even remember this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It was a random one-off joke line about how they visited Jane Austen and Clara snogged her a bit

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It was in the Caretaker episode and she's telling her whole class about it while The Doctor is climbing around outside trying to track down the pesky Skovox Blitzer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are Moffat and Capaldi doing the next Christmas special, or are both departing after the normal season run? I'd thought they hadn't cast his replacement yet, but now that I think of it, they'll have to be filming his regeneration soon, won't they?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Are Moffat and Capaldi doing the next Christmas special, or are both departing after the normal season run? I'd thought they hadn't cast his replacement yet, but now that I think of it, they'll have to be filming his regeneration soon, won't they?

Did you see the final shot of the trailer? :ohdear:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe the season will end on a regeneration cliffhanger, like the 10th Doctor one before the next episode had him shunt the energy to his spare hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Did you see the final shot of the trailer? :ohdear:

Right, that's what triggered it - like, in theory, they've got to cast his replacement to end that scene, but maybe they'll just end on the glowing hand and pick up with the regeneration at Christmas.

• Locked thread