Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Nfl network has sb50 on and I forgot how much it actually looked like a game at the beginning. Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol 10-6 and we led only 30% of the time

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The next All Or Nothing is about the Rams last year. I actually really want to see this.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/31/15137018/all-or-nothing-amazon-rams-season-2-release-date

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I hope they had a camera in the room the moment Jeff Fisher got fired so I can rewind and play it over and over and over

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lol 10-6 and we led only 30% of the time

Totally sustainable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

E: whoops

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/miamidolphins/status/847901609489313792

and so ends the career of the worst dolphins draft pick in team history

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

For where he was drafted he really *is* a worse pick than Ginn or White.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ehud posted:

Holy poo poo, forgot he went #3.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Ehud posted:

Ehud I believe we disagreed vehemently over who won that Raiders/Dolphins trade and I think we both lost

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Blitz7x posted:

Ehud I believe we disagreed vehemently over who won that Raiders/Dolphins trade and I think we both lost

Who did you guys draft with our pick(s)

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Ehud posted:

Who did you guys draft with our pick(s)

#12 DJ Hayden & #42 Menelik Watson.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Uterine Lineup posted:

DJ Hayden & Menelik Watson.

We won that trade by virtue of both guys giving us comp picks back.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

For where he was drafted he really *is* a worse pick than Ginn or White.

ginn's turned into a productive ish player.

White should be ranked higher since sending him out there amounted to criminal negligence.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Uterine Lineup posted:

#12 DJ Hayden * Menelik Watson.

Menelik Watson at least has a really cool bio you could read about? Silver lining and whatnot.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
How come Jordan didn't work out? I remember vaguely Dolphin fans complaining he was being misused but that's about all.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Durandal1707 posted:

How come Jordan didn't work out? I remember vaguely Dolphin fans complaining he was being misused but that's about all.

They tried to make a peak of his physical strength and ability athlete add 30 pounds of muscle and were surprised he kept on getting busted for PED's.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Durandal1707 posted:

Football Outsiders has a metric with a pretty.... iffy history that absolutely hated Dion Jordan in sackseer. It combines a formula made up of:

1) An "explosion index" that measures the prospect’s scores in the forty-yard dash, the vertical jump, and the broad jump in pre-draft workouts;
2) A metric called "SRAM" which stands for "sack rate as modified." SRAM measures the prospect’s per game sack productivity, but with adjustments for factors such as early entry in the NFL Draft and position switches during college;
3) The prospect’s college passes defensed divided by college games played; and
4) A metric that measures the prospect’s missed games of NCAA eligibility. This metric includes games missed for reasons such as time spent in Junior College, academic problems, injuries, benchings, and suspensions.

Their writeup for him was:

quote:

A decision to turn the card in for Dion Jordan is definitely a decision to bet on measurables. Jordan is a long, fast athlete at 6-foot-7 with 33 7/8-inch arms and a 4.60 forty time. The problem with Jordan is that he has tons of game experience but little production to show for it. In 39 games at Oregon, Jordan only recorded 14.5 sacks and two passes defensed. It is curious that Mingo absorbs so much criticism for his production against LSU, while Jordan receives little, when Mingo has outperformed Jordan on all fronts and against stronger competition. Jordan’s lack of passes defensed is especially concerning, given that scouting reports on Jordan note (positively) that he was regularly asked to drop into coverage, and thus likely had plenty of opportunities to make plays on the football. Jordan’s best-case scenario is probably to become Kamerion Wimbley -- another player with great athleticism and little sack

Sackseer that year loved Jamie Collins and Ezekial Ansah, and hated Jarvis Jones a bit less then Dion Jordan.
The problem was it also loved the heck out of Barkevious Mingo.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dion Jordan also has actual drug problems (not PED's) and does not care about football.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
FO doesn't factor in the Give a Heck® multiplier which measures how many heck a player gives

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Out of curiosity I grabbed a list of each guy they wrote about for Sackseer from 2012-2015 and tossed the rankings in a list:

It's actually a healthy bit better then I thought it was with some obvious misses.

98.1 Khalil Mack
97.7 Jamie Collins
95.7 Vic Beasley
94.6 Bud Dupree
94.6 Barkevious Mingo
94.4 Jadeveon Clowney
91.3 Anthony Barr
90.6 Nick Perry

89.7 Randy Gregory
84.6 Kony Ealy
82.3 Ezekial Ansah
80.1 Damontre Moore
77.9 Frank Alexander
77.3 Bjorn Werner
75.2 Preston Smith
71.0 Kyle Van Noy

67.8 Eli Harold
64.5 Margus Hunt
64.2 Ronnell Lewis
62.9 Shea McClellin
60.6 Chandler Jones
58.7 Jarvis Jones
54.9 Andre Branch
52.3 Dion Jordan
51.3 Whitney Mercilus

43.3 Dante Fowler Jr
29.3 Dee Ford
28.1 Jonathan Massaquoi
26.4 Bruce Irvin
25.4 Quinton Coples
21.6 Melvin Ingram

18.5 Shane Ray
16.9 Vinny Curry
15.5 Courtney Upshaw
4.0 Michael Sam

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
No guys it's because he's gay

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

I re-read their writeup on him, because it's pretty interesting and points out he had a very productive senior season which helped buoy the case for him.. but also points out that it was a bit of a misnomer:

quote:

At the bottom of the page is a chart of all of the SackSEER projections for edge rushers who received an invite to this year’s NFL Combine. Of great interest to most readers will be Missouri defensive end Michael Sam, who seeks to make history by becoming the first openly gay player to play in the NFL. The Football Outsiders staff certainly has a great deal of admiration for Sam’s courage, and we will be rooting for him to succeed. SackSEER, however, is a series of equations that are indifferent towards a prospect’s strength of character. In Sam’s case, those equations are not kind.
SackSEER is not a fan of Sam’s production, which may be somewhat counter-intuitive considering that Sam was the co-defensive player of the year in the SEC -— widely acknowledged to be the best defensive conference in college football. But Sam was not consistently productive over his career: he had only nine sacks in his first 37 games with the Missouri Tigers. Although he certainly had a nice senior season with 11.5 sacks in 14 games, edge rushers who are one-hit wonders in their senior seasons rarely pan out in the NFL. The lone exception is Tamba Hali, and Hali had the additional excuse of being miscast as a defensive tackle for his two years -— an excuse Sam cannot claim. Moreover, it may not be a coincidence that Sam’s senior season coincided with the ascension of teammate Kony Ealy.
Perhaps just as concerning is Sam’s average of less than a tenth of a pass defensed per game. Sam had plenty of time to accumulate passes defensed -— a whopping 52 games -— but collected few. Moreover, we have relatively good proof in the form of Kony Ealy’s good passes defensed rate that the scorekeepers at Missouri and its opponents were not overly stingy with awarding passes defensed to defensive linemen while Sam played for the Tigers.
To top it off, Sam’s Combine was even poorer than his 4.91 forty-yard dash time would suggest, as Sam scored below average on every drill that SackSEER cares about. Particularly poor were Sam’s vertical leap and three-cone drill, which were the second-worst and the tenth-worst, respectively, among the 320-plus edge rushers in SackSEER’s database. Sam’s three-cone, in fact, was almost a full second slower than teammate Kony Ealy, despite the latter being ten pounds heavier than the former.
Overall, there have been only 14 prospects that SackSEER rating likes less than Sam. Half of those guys had exactly zero career sacks (even if you exclude Brandon Jenkins, who has zero career sacks but was drafted just last year). Only three of those 14 players had, or are on pace to have, double-digit career sacks: Talance Sawyer, Robert Ayers, and Ellis Wyms. Before the Combine, some projected Sam as a third- or fourth-round pick. SackSEER thinks he’s closer to a seventh-round pick or an undrafted free agent.

I also had posted this awhile ago in the draft thread, his mockdraftable spider chart is one of the worst for a combine prospect:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/michael-sam?position=EDGE

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

shouldn't that give him a higher sack seer score ?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

quote:

Although he certainly had a nice senior season with 11.5 sacks in 14 games, edge rushers who are one-hit wonders in their senior seasons rarely pan out in the NFL. The lone exception is Tamba Hali, and Hali had the additional excuse of being miscast as a defensive tackle for his two years -— an excuse Sam cannot claim. Moreover, it may not be a coincidence that Sam’s senior season coincided with the ascension of teammate Kony Ealy.

Whitney Mercilus says hi :cool:

e:Oh derp that was his junior season :downs:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

Lmao

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

This is cool, and started looking at the bottom and realized, oh right, the %'s are so low due to how often teams spent tied, so started looking into how often was a team losing:

It's interesting, there are pressures on the statistic in both directions. When teams are just trading scores, teams will often be losing on their offensive possessions as the lead goes back and forth (or alternates with a tie). But the bigger pressure is probably the other way, which is that teams that are good on offense will often (but not always) have longer drives, in terms of snap count. That second factor is a lot of why the Patriots blow everyone else out of the water: good offense built around an unstoppable onslaught of shorter plays.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Michael Sam sacked Johnny Manziel in a preseason game, so if nothing else his heart is in the right place.

For the bottom of that list I was under the impression Shane Ray was doing ok. Not amazingly or anything, but a decent NFL pass rusher.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 1, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Grittybeard posted:

Michael Sam sacked Johnny Manziel in a preseason game, so if nothing else his heart is in the right place.

And flashed the money sign right after it in the sickest burn of that preseason.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

Out of curiosity I grabbed a list of each guy they wrote about for Sackseer from 2012-2015 and tossed the rankings in a list:

It's actually a healthy bit better then I thought it was with some obvious misses.

The methodology is pretty solid, but even with the stats going into it, you aren't gonna hit 100% of the time--too much other stuff going into why a player succeeds or fails.

It's telling that Sam couldn't crack the Cowboys' roster in a year when the team as a whole logged 27 sacks (28th in the NFL that season).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalli posted:

Which way does it miss (I don't know these guys that well)? If all the misses are in the same direction, it could still be very useful.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ulmont posted:

Which way does it miss (I don't know these guys that well)? If all the misses are in the same direction, it could still be very useful.

I need to take a look at it.... but it's the weekend, so it'll probably wait until I'm bored at work again.

I think the sackseer stuff for this draft class is going up soon, so it'd be nice to compare.

I know some guys like Mercilus, Shane Ray and Bruce Irvin are way overperforming those results, and Mingo was a huge bust, but at least some of the other whiffs are due to injuries which pretty much can be ignored. I think the stat may actually be okay, at least for the top end guys.... There's also tables of everyone from the combine, and I think those numbers are all over the place.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Oh god I ate too much shrimp what have I done

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bad Moon posted:

Balance out your shrimp levels with some white wine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP97PPTufJA

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Ehud posted:

Well done sir

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Bad Moon posted:

We eating so many shrimp, we getting iodine poisoning.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/RyanDLeaf/status/848158354484715520

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wrong forum

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Best April Fools joke yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler