Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Haledjian posted:

When does Vetra's loyalty mission become available? I read I'm supposed to get an email from her after Trail of Hope, but I just landed on Kadara and I haven't seen anything yet.

Also not sure how far I am in the critical path--feels like more than halfway, maybe? But I haven't finished a single loyalty mission and I've only put colonies on two planets. It's confusing.

Everything pretty much popped up after I fully completed Trail of Hope, all the possible colonies pop up and then going to each one will open up a bunch of loyalty/ark missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

evilmiera posted:

That was my thought too. I'm not sure dropping a jetfuel-spewing radio station with guns in it is all that respectful of the Angaran beliefs.

You can't fast travel to it, either.
Have fun making that climb every time you want to turn in a quest.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

enigmatikone posted:

Maybe a bug on your side, because I sure did fast travel there several times.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

enigmatikone posted:

Eh. Yes you can.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

enigmatikone posted:

You can fast travel to it fine. It doesn't show unless you change the map to the "floor" it's on.

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

Wiseblood posted:

You can fast travel to it fine. It doesn't show unless you change the map to the "floor" it's on.

Ah, didn't think of that. Good to know if/when I start a new game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Roger Ebert once wrote an article about how he could tell when a movie was made by cocaine addicts.

"They have a lot of energy, but no organizing ability. So they sit there day after day, filming the same scenes over and over again.”

The Chris Roberts school of game design!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Haledjian posted:

Also not sure how far I am in the critical path--feels like more than halfway, maybe? But I haven't finished a single loyalty mission and I've only put colonies on two planets. It's confusing.

Since the game lets you finish the main path and keep playing, it's possible for you to leave loyalty / outpost establishing quests to after the main plot. So you *can* jam through it if you like. Which makes it harder to figure out where you are and, if you are like me and your old Mass Effect habits die hard, will leave you feeling anxious that you might advance the main story too fast.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Halloween Jack posted:

Roger Ebert once wrote an article about how he could tell when a movie was made by cocaine addicts.

orcane posted:

"They have a lot of energy, but no organizing ability. So they sit there day after day, filming the same scenes over and over again.”

The Chris Roberts school of game design!

So this one, then?

Never read it before, but it's a good read.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

doingitwrong posted:

Since the game lets you finish the main path and keep playing, it's possible for you to leave loyalty / outpost establishing quests to after the main plot. So you *can* jam through it if you like. Which makes it harder to figure out where you are and, if you are like me and your old Mass Effect habits die hard, will leave you feeling anxious that you might advance the main story too fast.

Yeah, I really want to finish everything before I finish the main story. Even if I don't have to, I prefer building up to a definitive endpoint where Ryder & co are all fully leveled and best friends. Makes it easier to start a NG+ go back to my real life responsibilities

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hmm, how do I get back into the Kett base on the iceplanet? I forgot to do something or other, but I can't find the path back into it.

Reclaimer posted:

Respecced before the final mission, holy hell charge+annihilation+lance with the no c/d upgrade is just amazing.

Didn't even have to use my AK.

It was a good day.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Leaving atmo. All clear.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Leaving atmo. All clear.

Suvi's voice actress could read the phone book and it would still be magnificent. :allears:

The long animations could stand to be cut down but I have this strong suspicion that they're also hiding loading screens.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Suvi's voice actress could read the phone book and it would still be magnificent. :allears:

The long animations could stand to be cut down but I have this strong suspicion that they're also hiding loading screens.

I wonder if they'll go the way of the ME3 scanning room and be quietly cut down later in the game's life.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Serf posted:

I wonder if they'll go the way of the ME3 scanning room and be quietly cut down later in the game's life.

I dunno. I hate the mining mini game. Am I the only one who liked Mass Effect 2's mining mini game?

":sigh: now probing Uranus... very funny, Commander."

I know it can't happen but I wish they'd cut the travel animations and add in Mass Effect 2 mining to make scanning planets more impactful and so you can avoid the dumb Nomad mining. :colbert:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno. I hate the mining mini game. Am I the only one who liked Mass Effect 2's mining mini game?

":sigh: now probing Uranus... very funny, Commander."

I know it can't happen but I wish they'd cut the travel animations and add in Mass Effect 2 mining to make scanning planets more impactful and so you can avoid the dumb Nomad mining. :colbert:

I meant the room that scans you when you leave the war room section of the Normandy and go back to the rest of the ship. I played it again recently and you just cruise right on through that hidden loading screen now.

And yeah, gently caress the mining in this game. I just run Cheatengine when I want to craft stuff. RPGs still have a hard time presenting good gathering (either make it the whole focus of the game or make it happen as part of core gameplay).

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

for some reason i have no problem looting enemy corpses in dragon age but having to do it in this game makes me irrationally angry
maybe it's because i have to press and hold the button instead of grab-and-go
maybe because the button is also the melee button so if i miss i go charging off into the distance attacking thin air

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Serf posted:

I meant the room that scans you when you leave the war room section of the Normandy and go back to the rest of the ship. I played it again recently and you just cruise right on through that hidden loading screen now.

And yeah, gently caress the mining in this game. I just run Cheatengine when I want to craft stuff. RPGs still have a hard time presenting good gathering (either make it the whole focus of the game or make it happen as part of core gameplay).

Oh I got you. I don't think they patched that out on 360 because it was there when I played last year. :smith:

The woes of playing on console. I wish I could cheat myself infinite resources.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

AriadneThread posted:

for some reason i have no problem looting enemy corpses in dragon age but having to do it in this game makes me irrationally angry
maybe because the button is also the melee button so if i miss i go charging off into the distance attacking thin air

Sup fellow asari sword wielder.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I never really felt like I ever even had to mine, by the time I reached the 3rd planet or so I was just disassembling everything and built up hundreds of every resource from that + AVP freebies. And before then I was just wearing armor/using weapons I found in boxes.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Reclaimer posted:

Sup fellow asari sword wielder.

Asari sword really adds to Dorky Sara Ryder characterization.

"Let me just get in the Nomad…" *teleports through the Nomad slashing at air*

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I kind of like the kett fire sword more. Melee doesn't do a lot of damage for some reason though... Even with asari sword and damage weapon mods.

Haledjian posted:

When does Vetra's loyalty mission become available? I read I'm supposed to get an email from her after Trail of Hope, but I just landed on Kadara and I haven't seen anything yet.

I couldn't do it until I finished the hunting the archon quest or so...

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 31, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

Can't you remap it?

On PC the melee and use buttons are separate mappings by default.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't help but feel it would have been a better use of the D-Pad to have it switch between Profiles rather than the almost literally useless "tell squadmate to go to there" button

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

precision posted:

I can't help but feel it would have been a better use of the D-Pad to have it switch between Profiles rather than the almost literally useless "tell squadmate to go to there" button

I like that you hit the reload key (X) on Xbox to actually pick a selected profile load out. If I hit the usual "select" button from the weapons load out interface (A) I instead overwrite my saved profile with the current one I'm trying to switch out of. Great UI.

:psyduck:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I like that you hit the reload key (X) on Xbox to actually pick a selected profile load out. If I hit the usual "select" button from the weapons load out interface (A) I instead overwrite my saved profile with the current one I'm trying to switch out of. Great UI.

:psyduck:

This is why I don't switch profiles anymore

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
And don't forget selecting something in game is a third button, Y. Unless you're in the nomad, where that sends you to orbit. Y from a planet puts you in the nomad. Y from the nomad puts you in the tempest. Y from the tempest puts you in some orifice of your choice if you talk to its host long enough. It all makes sense.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 31, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Number Ten Cocks posted:

That's very weird. Are you talking about switching Profiles in the field by bringing up the Weapons Wheel? On PS4, you bring up the Weapons Wheel by tapping the touchpad, press Square (Reload) to go to the Profile screen, and you literally can't write a profile from there, you can only select one.

It sounds like you're tying to switch profiles from the normal Pause menu or from the Loadout screens, which you shouldn't need to do. Assuming it's similar to PS4 that is. Otherwise that is pretty dumb

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like how they made the UI bad in ways I haven't seen since the time of bad Xbox (the first Xbox) and PS2 ports (the bad ones).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

precision posted:

That's very weird. Are you talking about switching Profiles in the field by bringing up the Weapons Wheel? On PS4, you bring up the Weapons Wheel by tapping the touchpad, press Square (Reload) to go to the Profile screen, and you literally can't write a profile from there, you can only select one.

It sounds like you're tying to switch profiles from the normal Pause menu or from the Loadout screens, which you shouldn't need to do. Assuming it's similar to PS4 that is. Otherwise that is pretty dumb

The issue is if you're say, unlocking a power, and you want to apply it to a favorite set which you are not currently in, Load is Y, save is A.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Yes, that's what I was trying because I didn't see profiles from the weapon/consumable wheel. So I hit a button from that "quick select" menu to go to a further menu? LOL.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

precision posted:

On the PC, you switch with the F-keys, and they never actually tell you how to do it.

Also, I just went to the mining asteroid last night and had to go look up how to leave, since it won't let you out of the Tempest in the terrifyingly dangerous level 1 radiation (you hold down T to emergency extract).

DrNutt posted:

It's not a bug, MEA doesn't let you sneak up behind people and startle them.

They can be kinda rude to you, though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyX6xiVALCw

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I kind of like the kett fire sword more. Melee doesn't do a lot of damage for some reason though... Even with asari sword and damage weapon mods.

I went Krogan Hammer all the way, and I felt the opposite. Whenever I tried using guns everything slowed down. Whereas with charge, melee, shotgun, melee, air melee; everything that wasn't a large target was dead or flying off into the distance on the highest difficulty.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Ugh, those people are the worst.

*puts paw over face*
*record scratch*

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Melee doesn't do a lot of damage for some reason though...

Say whaaat. Mine doesn't just hit like a shotgun, it also charges my shotgun so it does more damage (And then the shotgun makes the melee do more damage in turn, etc etc.)

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I couldn't do it until I finished the hunting the archon quest or so...

That's reassuring--I just read somewhere else that that's the case, too. I guess a shitload of side missions pop up toward the end or something?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Haledjian posted:

That's reassuring--I just read somewhere else that that's the case, too. I guess a shitload of side missions pop up toward the end or something?

Just about after every single main mission my inbox was full of updates.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sometimes the way the plot interacts with sidequests is really loving whack in this game. Havarl spoilers: I had the quest step "wait for Jaal to arrange a meeting with so and so (Roekar leader)" but I also had a sidequest about dealing with the Roekar, during which I met the dude AND gained his trust and got him to begrudgingly work together with us outsiders. Now looking in my journal, I saw the quest step "ON HOLD: wait for Jaal to arrange a meeting with so and so" and I thought, welp, guess I broke that quest. But then later I did get an email from Jaal that was like, "yo, I set up a meeting with dude whenever you are ready." Really weird.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrNutt posted:

Sometimes the way the plot interacts with sidequests is really loving whack in this game. Havarl spoilers: I had the quest step "wait for Jaal to arrange a meeting with so and so (Roekar leader)" but I also had a sidequest about dealing with the Roekar, during which I met the dude AND gained his trust and got him to begrudgingly work together with us outsiders. Now looking in my journal, I saw the quest step "ON HOLD: wait for Jaal to arrange a meeting with so and so" and I thought, welp, guess I broke that quest. But then later I did get an email from Jaal that was like, "yo, I set up a meeting with dude whenever you are ready." Really weird.

Different Roekaar leader. The one you met is just a local commander among them. Akksul, the one Jaal is to set up a meet with, is their ideological founder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

*puts paw over face*
*record scratch*

N-no! That's my bit!