Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Eh I linked the video rather than digging for the article because I was initially lazy.

Jimmy essentially reads that entire article with his own reaction poo poo so lol.

:ed::balls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
still lolling over the idea that demanding a democrat exhibit a goddamned spine w/r/t high-dollar corporate donors counts as a purity test

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ThndrShk2k posted:

FDR says always primary from the left unless they submit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBvWk-W5Jqs

Ace of Baes posted:

Is there a time segment that gets the jist of it because there's no way I'm watching a 15 min long YT video .
If you want to start from where Jimmy gets animated jump to 10:40

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lmao I didn't even realize the linked video already was Dore, should have assumed

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Who even started the purity test meme? More importantly, how did they manage to spin the idea of wanting to elect officials that actually represent you into being bad?

What is even the alternative? Voting blindly for whoever happens to have a D by their name?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

zegermans posted:

Lmao I didn't even realize the linked video already was Dore, should have assumed
:golfclap:

Nice "save"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zhulik posted:

What is even the alternative? Voting blindly for whoever happens to have a D by their name?

Uh, if by this you mean doing your civic duty, yes :shepbert:

fake-edit, forgot shepbert isn't a real smilie, should be tho

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zhulik posted:

Who even started the purity test meme? More importantly, how did they manage to spin the idea of wanting to elect officials that actually represent you into being bad?

It's been around at least as long as the Obama era when Dems decided that they should be compromising with Republicans whenever possible, even when Republicans repeatedly state and demonstrate that they have no intention of ever compromising on their "kill all poors" stance and hate Dems and everything they stand for, and yes that's absolutely the alternative they want. Preferably donating too.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

loquacius posted:

Uh, if by this you mean doing your civic duty, yes :shepbert:

fake-edit, forgot shepbert isn't a real smilie, should be tho
There's smugbert though
:smugbert:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Zhulik posted:

Who even started the purity test meme?

the band purity ring

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zegermans posted:

I feel like she might have a chance if she embraces unions because right-leaning union people are kinda mad the governor is doing exactly what he ran on

I just want to appreciate how zegermans accidentally stumbled into "going to bat for working people would help win elections" when he's been posting the exact opposite itt for a long time.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ThndrShk2k posted:

:golfclap:

Nice "save"

what you think I put effort into this

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I just want to appreciate how zegermans accidentally stumbled into "going to bat for working people would help win elections" when he's been posting the exact opposite itt for a long time.

patently false, I just post in this thread to mock internet slacktivism. In my ideal world Bernie would be running everything.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zhulik posted:

it's a suggestion that people should save their best choice vote for the primary election and vote for the democrat in the general, op

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mormonpartyboat posted:

the band purity ring

Good album. https://youtu.be/PmRraoL9v7k

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Zhulik posted:

Not blindly, if the Dems were actually non-poo poo it would be them asking for purity tests in favor of Wall Street Dems.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
You still want to vote Democrat in that case: they're not as good about militarizing police (still!) and present a weaker target for an armed revolution of the proletariat

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

ThndrShk2k posted:

It was never sent in the end because things worked out, but he almost sent it.

https://www.opednews.com/populum/page.php?f=Franklin-D-Roosevelt-Lett-by-Michael-Moore-121112-817.html

This is pretty funny considering he caused a double dip recession by implementing austerity to balance the budget in 1937.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The stereotype that folks on the left are as likely to attack each other as our ideological opposites didn't exactly come from nowhere, but what we're seeing is an overcorrection, mostly because the party doesn't really have a solid identity at the moment.

Like, it's hard to rally around being specifically the party of the powerless when all the Democrats will really commit to being is "the ones who aren't an apocalypse cult".

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's a suggestion that people should save their best choice vote for the primary election and vote for the democrat in the general, op

hosed up, but makes sense, I guess. Thank you.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Catherine Pugh is getting a lot of praise, from conservatives!

https://twitter.com/TPCarney/status/847877680167092224

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

You see...the bad dems are actually good, because while they might vote with Trump on mandatory internment camps, they"ll vote with the democrats when it comes to funding charters schools and instituting austerity measures.

all Dems are bad Dems

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FDR had to deal with bad corporate cock sucking bad dems

quote:

Franklin D. Roosevelt Letter to the Democratic Convention
July 18, 1940
Members of the Convention:
In the century in which we live, the Democratic Party has received the support of the electorate only when the party, with absolute clarity, has been the champion of progressive and liberal policies and principles of government.
The party has failed consistently when through political trading and chicanery it has fallen into the control of those interests, personal and financial, which think in terms of dollars instead of in terms of human values.
The Republican Party has made its nominations this year at the dictation of those who, we all know, always place money ahead of human progress.

The Democratic Convention, as appears clear from the events of today, is divided on this fundamental issue. Until the Democratic Party through this convention makes overwhelmingly clear its stand in favor of social progress and liberalism, and shakes off all the shackles of control fastened upon it by the forces of conservatism, reaction, and appeasement, it will not continue its march of victory.
It is without question that certain political influences pledged to reaction in domestic affairs and to appeasement in foreign affairs have been busily engaged behind the scenes in the promotion of discord since this Convention convened.
Under these circumstances, I cannot, in all honor, and will not, merely for political expediency, go along with the cheap bargaining and political maneuvering which have brought about party dissension in this convention.

It is best not to straddle ideals.
In these days of danger when democracy must be more than vigilant, there can be no connivance with the kind of politics which has internally weakened nations abroad before the enemy has struck from without.

It is best for America to have the fight out here and now.

I wish to give the Democratic Party the opportunity to make its historic decision clearly and without equivocation. The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time.
By declining the honor of the nomination for the presidency, I can restore that opportunity to the convention. I so do.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

lol

I don't think Seattle has crumbled because of $15 minimum wage, correct me if I'm wrong

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Rastor posted:

lol

I don't think Seattle has crumbled because of $15 minimum wage, correct me if I'm wrong

I think the result has essentially been "people working less hours and taking home the same amount of pay they used to."

Which, uh, is actually good.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rastor posted:

lol

Doing better than ever, but rent control would help as well.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
liberals are the ideological enemies of the left

u can have more than 1 enemies

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Doing better than ever, but rent control would help as well.

epic this

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the consolidation of capital and globalization mean jobs all migrate to extremely dense places, the more this happens, the more young people must move to cities to be employed, which further centralizes labor into small areas. the issue is these places are not building out housing fast enough to keep up with this, and because of foreign investors and how stable real estate is, its more beneficial to make a bunch of luxury condos that do nothing and take up 10-20x the amount of space a person actually needs to live in these cities.

meanwhile, entire towns and jobless cities have housing thats utterly abandoned, but no one can live there bc no jobs.

the rent is too drat high!!

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

zegermans posted:

patently false, I just post in this thread to mock internet slacktivism. In my ideal world Bernie would be running everything.

the people you mock are actually out there volunteering, organizing, phonebanking for candidates, youre just hanging around like a smug condescending idiot that nobody likes who thinks he knows better than everyone else despite constantly being wrong and having egg on his face, aka a Democrat

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

You all failed abuela

http://www.shakesville.com/2017/03/sanders-supporters-were-unwitting.html?m=1

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hillary was a russian agent all along aiming to divide the democratic party???? :eyepop:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

[Note: If your instinct is to head to comments with any variation of "But Clinton..." prepare for your comment to be deleted. "But Clinton..." is not relevant to this thread.]

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
oh hoho, more like Blini Bros

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Venuz Patrol posted:

In the article its her accusing people of running purity tests because they are considering running a primary challenger against her so that cant be it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Please stop quoting zegermans

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Matt Zerella posted:

ZEGER mans!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Matt Zerella posted:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

Proverbs 27:6 posted:

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bernie unwitting agent of Hillary

• Locked thread