Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh so they're charging a $10 premium for a USB-C charging port and cable? That's, uh, maybe not great.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Nolgthorn posted:

Buy a pro controller I don't know why you guys are buying charging grips

Don't need it, still ridiculous.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

You don't have to buy it. I don't think anyone is complaining about the battery life of the joycons. Them offering a product isn't in itself greedy.

Them offering it for more than $15 is totally greedy.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Harlock posted:

Jackbox doesn't have online play unless you stream the game

It doesn't have online play but you need to play online

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Oh so they're charging a $10 premium for a USB-C charging port and cable? That's, uh, maybe not great.

Compared to the $20 one its worth it I think.

Does a second set of joycons come with a grip?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bombadilillo posted:

Compared to the $20 one its worth it I think.

Does a second set of joycons come with a grip?

Joycons come with the little black straps, nothing more.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Joycons come with the little black straps, nothing more.

Ok, I can see why someone would want an extra grip then.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I like the multi-use of joycons since you can use them in several configurations. Charging grip was such a small difference in price to me compared to just an empty plastic shell so I ended up getting one as a second grip so I don't end up with dead joycons. Plus its nice to be able to keep two joycons permanently attached when I don't have three other people over. It's paying for my own laziness, pretty much.

Just one pro controller and the base console is really all you need, though, along with a third party lan connection.

On to less talk about accessories, what physical game releases are coming up worth getting? Already pre-ordered Mario Kart 8 and Puyo Puyo Tetris, didn't really see any others worth their price tags. Jackbox is going to be eshop, yeah?

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 31, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harlock posted:

:(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Anyone lose a joycon yet?

Yea sorta I lost it but I know where it went hehehe *coughs and shakes* *reaches for phone to call 911 and proctologist in that order* *points to dilznick for some unrelated reason*

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

enojy posted:

Yea sorta I lost it but I know where it went hehehe *coughs and shakes* *reaches for phone to call 911 and proctologist in that order* *points to dilznick for some unrelated reason*
LMFAO!!!

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I just beat my second run of Has Been Heroes and unlocked a fat man. Whether a run is "fun" or "over quickly" seems very luck based. The game is very, very heavy on unlockables, so there's a lot more variety as you play. But that also means your first runs are also probably your hardest. When I first went up against the skeleton summoner I had... no chance of beating him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Harlock posted:

I don't understand.

What does this mean, as it relates to Switch?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

I don't understand.

I don't know what Harlock is talking about but Jackbox needs to connect to the internet. Your switch will talk to Jackbox.tv to run the game. You and your friends go to jackbox.tv on your phones or laptops and punch in the code on the TV to join the game. The switch plays the game, tells the website what games to send to your phones and then gets back the scores and whatnot. You can't play it without internet.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My biggest regret with the Nintendo Switch is that they didn't design the carts to look like tiny NES cartridges

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It amazes me that Nintendo didn't just put a charging grip in the console bundle itself. It would solve any complaints about charging joycons unless somebody has 5 or more of them. But considering they are charging $15 for two of the Wheel Cradles, I am surprised we got anything in the box.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know what Harlock is talking about but Jackbox needs to connect to the internet. Your switch will talk to Jackbox.tv to run the game. You and your friends go to jackbox.tv on your phones or laptops and punch in the code on the TV to join the game. The switch plays the game, tells the website what games to send to your phones and then gets back the scores and whatnot. You can't play it without internet.

I think he means, you can't play with other people over the internet. The game does require internet but I'm pretty sure it's a local-only multiplayer affair unless you're streaming it.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

I don't understand.

That in order to see the switch display part of it the person has to either be with you or you can stream it somehow. Someone can still connect through their phone with the room code but they can't see the prompts on the switch screen.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I think a lot of people just don't really understand what Jackbox is. It's a local (or Twitch stream) party game that communicates with the internet via jackbox.tv

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

oh!!!!!!!! I thought you had to like, stream through twitch or something to do online and that was the only way. If you can do this through phones then thats exactly how its always worked and how I was hoping it worked

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah Jackbox works the same on Switch as it does on every other platform unless you setup a stream it's meant for a local group play setting

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the twitch comment was meaning to say other people won't see the main screen unless they're with you or you're streaming it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the game is meant to be played locally with the option of streaming it so other randos can vote for things or play a secondary part of the game. Unless you are able to stream with no delay, the game becomes too easy sometimes. I was playing the saw-like game and it had me making a pattern out of some squares. The issue is that the stream was 15 seconds behind so it popped up my part while the stream was still showing the pattern I was supposed to memorize.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gotcha as long as this works just like jackbox has always worked thats good and cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I think the game is meant to be played locally with the option of streaming it so other randos can vote for things or play a secondary part of the game. Unless you are able to stream with no delay, the game becomes too easy sometimes. I was playing the saw-like game and it had me making a pattern out of some squares. The issue is that the stream was 15 seconds behind so it popped up my part while the stream was still showing the pattern I was supposed to memorize.

hitbox is very very low delay

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Is there anyway to buy Binding of Isaac outside of NA and have it on my main account?

Edit: Looking around, seems like a no. Nicalis :argh:

Lobstertainment fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 31, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just got off the phone with Nintendo. They are emailing me an overnight UPS label to send it to them to get my screen fixed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Do any brick and mortar chains have the amFilm screen or do I need to use Amazon? I'd prefer to go grab it today but am thinking I'll have to order it online.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sorry if my comment was unclear I thought people were looking to play online with others who were not local in the same room. The only way to do that is to stream it somehow. They can still join your game with room codes and stuff but it's not really fun unless you can see the screen

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I want La-Mulana on this. The screenshot button would make it easy to take notes on puzzles and stuff, and the ability to play it anywhere would be pretty great since it's a really long game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Had to make a quick stop at Best Buy for something else and they had 3 Grey Switches in stock. First time I've seen them in stock anywhere.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Harlock posted:

Sorry if my comment was unclear I thought people were looking to play online with others who were not local in the same room. The only way to do that is to stream it somehow. They can still join your game with room codes and stuff but it's not really fun unless you can see the screen

It's cool that's why I asked.

It works like I wanted, so I'm happy. I was just confused about the streaming.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Well, I gave in to peer pressure and bought BotW despite hating every 3D Zelda to date. I'm about 5 hours in and can say that, without a doubt, this is the best 3D Zelda that has been made. Which is to say, it's a pretty good open world game. Not sure why everyone is talking like it's the second coming or something, but it's good enough that I'll probably finish it (I like fantasy open world games). I don't really like the combat but finding/solving the shrines is enough fun that it's keeping me going. The glider is a cool mechanic and, having just started Horizon as well, I wish they had something similar.

Also I was at Target earlier and they didn't have any Switches but they had like 6 pro controllers on display.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm gonna pick up a pro controller next week to see what the fuss is all about. Does it work with macOS?

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Oh wow the Shovel Knight boss rush isn't a dream at all. This is real. :stare:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Considering how many April Fools jokes from Japanese companies end up becoming actual things I can only hope this Ashley game concept with art (as always) by Ko Takeuchi ends up being a real game that comes out.

I mean Ashley is pretty much a bigger draw than Wario himself in Japan nowadays seeing how they keep making more badges of her.

I'd be really surprised if she's not a playable fighter in the next Smash Bros. at this rate.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

HEB is loving legit guys. I've finally made the switch. Zelda and Snipperclips here I come.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Housh posted:

I'm gonna pick up a pro controller next week to see what the fuss is all about. Does it work with macOS?

Works great with OpenEmu but you have to manually bind buttons. I'm sure they'll auto-bind with an update like other controllers soon.

Lobstertainment posted:

Is there anyway to buy Binding of Isaac outside of NA and have it on my main account?

Edit: Looking around, seems like a no. Nicalis :argh:

You can still play off-region games with any account, if that matters.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Housh posted:

I bought it hesitantly, thinking people were hyping it for no reason. I am gay for it. It feels good to hold and by that I don't just mean it makes games more enjoyable to play, but it makes my hands literally feel good to hold and play with it, like I just received a hand massage or something. It's cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/847961727664701440

Seems later this week there's going to be a announcement on whatever this is. Japanese badge arcade is gonna be hyping it up.

• Locked thread