Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Meridian posted:

Sweet, I'm already on there. I'll hit you guys up once the game is downloaded.

No worries. I've mained him since he launched and Trykt is helping me lab some stuff with him for Combo Breaker so we'll help you do combo.

skit herre posted:

That's pretty much my thing, thank's for summing that up. Pretty sure that was funnier than what went on else of the time. not one of you dared to voice chat with me, babies :) See you and have a good time

We asked you to come play games with us and you didnt. You alienated people becaude you because you were constantly seeking attention and validation for your dumbassery. Good loving riddance.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
apparently that SFEX april fools thing is actually playable and will be at some event with kazunoko

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

skit herre posted:

That's pretty much my thing, thank's for summing that up. Pretty sure that was funnier than what went on else of the time. not one of you dared to voice chat with me, babies :) See you and have a good time

i would also very much enjoy to get at least a probe out of this dumb thread, so get the squad rollin pls

You can just stop posting, no one needs to help you with that.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheManSeries posted:

No worries. I've mained him since he launched and Trykt is helping me lab some stuff with him for Combo Breaker so we'll help you do combo.

We asked you to come play games with us and you didnt. You alienated people becaude you because you were constantly seeking attention and validation for your dumbassery. Good loving riddance.

This will be my first time playing the game, but I've been looking forward to playing it since finally giving up on SFV. Always looked really cool when I watched tournaments.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Sucks that Madcatz is gone, but the reliability of their sticks went to shot so I can't be too angry. At least that will mean cheap sticks in the next month or two.

I'm sure Qanba and Razor are rubbing their hands together.

TheManSeries posted:

No one wanted to talk to you because you were constantly seeking attention and validation for your dumbassery. Good loving riddance.

He also bragged about being terrible with money and gave hints of being a deadbeat.

Meridian posted:

You can just stop posting, no one needs to help you with that.

He's clearly in the "whoops guess people here don't like me, well let me just act like a troll so they (and I) are convinced that this was my plan all along", phase.

Sorry dude, you aren't a puppetmaster who's pulling the strings, you're just socially retarded. Do yourself a favor and just cut your losses and go home.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 31, 2017

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

You may also wanna hit up the r/KillerInstinct discord and only the discord. We run sets a fair amount. Also I will get some info together for you on the discord.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheManSeries posted:

You may also wanna hit up the r/KillerInstinct discord and only the discord. We run sets a fair amount. Also I will get some info together for you on the discord.

Thanks dude, I appreciate it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Meridian posted:

This will be my first time playing the game, but I've been looking forward to playing it since finally giving up on SFV. Always looked really cool when I watched tournaments.

do the dojo, it's really well done and I felt like I knew a lot going into training mode and online from doing the dojo missions

I need to finish them thigh because idk what a shadow counter is still

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Cool poo poo about KI that may not be apparent to newcomers:

• Not all combo breaking is guess work, there's a LOT in the game you can react to. When you learn what's reactable it makes the guessing considerably easier, as well.
  • You can't combo break the very beginning or the very end of combos. You also can't break on projectile hits.
  • Doing block strings (even with just simple, 2-hit moves) is often risky because Shadow Counters exist. If you have 1 bar and you make a good guess you can completely turn the momentum of the match around.
  • Chip kills exist but are rare. Most matches end with an Ultra combo because they're an unbreakable way to remove the last ~10% health from an opponent.

Also every character has multiple unique mechanics including how their Instinct mode works, special properties on normals, special exceptions to the combo system, etc. You sometimes get really weird match-ups from this, for example Aria cannot heal "Potential Damage" (the white flashing life) unless she switches forms (like switching our characters to heal red life in Marvel). When she fights Cinder, he's a character that specializes in piling on tons of Potential Damage even outside of combos. Cinder can get huge chunks of any or all 3 of her lifebars flashing white and essentially one touch kill her different forms on his next hit. General Raam can also do this, but in a much different way.

Play KI ya'll, it's neat.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

apparently that SFEX april fools thing is actually playable and will be at some event with kazunoko

it seems crazy to me that a small game studio like Akira would put that much effort into an April Fools joke and I would be surprised if absolutely nothing came out of it.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

TheManSeries posted:

A lot of my friends have anxiety issues and depression and I genuinely feel a lot of sympathy and kinship with someone who obviously can't get a handle on their life and it spills into other people's lives but wow thank god this loving guy is gone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have a lot of sympathy for people who obviously cant get a handle on their life, also *said while looking at smash 4 pools*

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

skit herre posted:

Pretty sure that was funnier than what went on else of the time.

It wasn't. You need to stop posting/chatting while that hosed up. Trust me, I've been there.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
:yikes:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

i have a lot of sympathy for people who obviously cant get a handle on their life, also *said while looking at smash 4 pools*

I mean, people are defending KI here right now, you don't even need to avert eyes from this thread.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lots of games are cool and fun and if you would only unlearn the stigma that locks you inside the prison of fear you could open your heart to an enchanted world of battling wonder

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think combo breakers are dumb but i also think KI has really good music and understands how to make interesting but not insanely polarizing character gimmicks as well

also KI seems to be a game that is what it sets out to be, even if i strongly disagree w/ several of those directions. other games are commonly middling and dont understand what they are, or try to appease too many people at once at the expense of a good vision.

i would rather have more games like KI and skullgirls (design wise, anyway), even if i dont play most of them.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 31, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

anime was right posted:

i think combo breakers are dumb but i also think KI has really good music and understands how to make interesting but not insanely polarizing character gimmicks as well

also KI seems to be a game that is what it sets out to be, even if i strongly disagree w/ several of those directions. other games are commonly middling and dont understand what they are, or try to appease too many people at once at the expense of a good vision.

i would rather have more games like KI and skullgirls (design wise, anyway), even if i dont play most of them.

Would you mind expanding on what parts of KI's design you don't like? I'm just curious.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Waku Waku 7 is cool.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Meridian posted:

Would you mind expanding on what parts of KI's design you don't like? I'm just curious.

keep in mind my time with the game was brief and long ago:

i think combo breaking feels lovely because once you get a hit, you should be rewarded for that. this isn't a huge issue, but it's compounded by:

combo breaking isnt about character interaction, its about memorizing opponent offense in most cases. in traditional fighting games, before the final reward for a good decision (a hit that translates into damage), every interaction is based off character specific tools clashing against each other. some tools may be more universal than others. in KI, this is a hard direct comparison to make, but essentially what is treated as frame or positional advantage in other games (the step before getting a hit in), in KI, that step is the hit itself, and in that step, there is very little character vs character interaction, even if there is player expression in that moment, what makes fgs and most competitive games interesting is player expression through asymmetrical options. one player uses zangief grabs to different effect, daigo uses an srk differently than alex valle etc.

my other gripe with the game (i think this was toned down), is the game is loud. its got a consistent tone in terms of player feedback. loud effects should be reserved for important items or use of scarce resources do denote to the player said importance, power, or sacrcity. a super looks flashy not just for the sake of looking cool, but to tell the player "this is going to hurt, avoid this" and to reward the person doing lots of damage with "see how cool you are for making this rare animation play?" if every move looked like raging demon, then if you made a raging demon, the raging demon wouldn't be as fun to do bc even though it would be harder to land, it has way less impact. in KI, they actually do that crazy thing i just said, all of the normal moves have loud effects, so the special moves and shadow moves dont feel as unique or special. long combos dont feel special if the announcer is always yelling. this homogenization of gamefeel means that theres less high notes to strive for. this is bad for slective memory (ppl dont remember the cool poo poo they did), and striving for cool poo poo is a means of long term player engagement which is Regular Ol' Fun. if you get a pentakill in a moba or w/e, its loving rare. if you kill everyone in overwatch with an ult or w/e it feel sick as hell. by creating greater different between the regular game experience and these high moments, these high moments are fun and you look forward to them. this is one of the few pacing elements a designer can really control in an asymmetrical competitive game, and without that difference, KI just doesnt feel as cool.

skullgirls kinda has a similar pacing issue except its like player stress/attention being always set to the max bc of reset world and everyone landing right next to each other a lot. marvel got around this with character deaths and long combos w/o resets where your brain can take a break.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
again tho, id rather live in a world where we have more KIs and SGs and less sfvs.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

ki is fun, I played it yesterday and I picked the girl that dies from moving or attacking and lost over and over

it looks stupid though

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

again tho, id rather live in a world where we have more KIs and SGs and less sfvs.

Agree on all fronts and for the same reasons. :hf:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

anime was right posted:

combo breaking isnt about character interaction, its about memorizing opponent offense in most cases..

Personally I have a good time with the game because there is unique character play at neutral and mixup, but when a combo starts the game changes entirely for a short period of time. It's no longer about character gimmicks (though there are gimmicks to note, like Jago's around the world, or TJ's auto-barrage) it's more of a direct confrontation between players. Who is willing to make the bigger gamble here? Shoot for the moon on offense and risk it all or take your quick and easy one chance lockout knockdown? This was a gamble they improved big time in seasons 2 and 3, where in season 1 it was just take the knockdown city. I think the play you're looking for is still there, there's just a different gambit afterwards. The animations you can reaction break are generally easy to recognize within a few matches with a character and instead comes down to learning what kind of person you're playing against.

quote:

my other gripe with the game (i think this was toned down), is the game is loud. its got a consistent tone in terms of player feedback. <...> by creating greater different between the regular game experience and these high moments, these high moments are fun and you look forward to them. this is one of the few pacing elements a designer can really control in an asymmetrical competitive game, and without that difference, KI just doesnt feel as cool.

On this note I can agree somewhat, but there are subtle differences in how big of an impact a combo is going to make now, where level 1s don't even move the screen, but level 4 can lead to a semi-cinematic blowout (which can be toned down with an option thank god). Further, the camera really does handle highlight bigger events, zooming in a bit for shadow moves, shadow counters, instinct activations and the rare but often game ending counter breaker. Neutral can be pretty restrained by comparison, outside of fireball explosions from a couple cast members.

To each their own though. I'm happy to find a bunch of folks willing to give the game a try now that it's on pc. :)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Personally I have a good time with the game because there is unique character play at neutral and mixup, but when a combo starts the game changes entirely for a short period of time. It's no longer about character gimmicks (though there are gimmicks to note, like Jago's around the world, or TJ's auto-barrage) it's more of a direct confrontation between players. Who is willing to make the bigger gamble here? Shoot for the moon on offense and risk it all or take your quick and easy one chance lockout knockdown? This was a gamble they improved big time in seasons 2 and 3, where in season 1 it was just take the knockdown city. I think the play you're looking for is still there, there's just a different gambit afterwards. The animations you can reaction break are generally easy to recognize within a few matches with a character and instead comes down to learning what kind of person you're playing against.

On this note I can agree somewhat, but there are subtle differences in how big of an impact a combo is going to make now, where level 1s don't even move the screen, but level 4 can lead to a semi-cinematic blowout (which can be toned down with an option thank god). Further, the camera really does handle highlight bigger events, zooming in a bit for shadow moves, shadow counters, instinct activations and the rare but often game ending counter breaker. Neutral can be pretty restrained by comparison, outside of fireball explosions from a couple cast members.

To each their own though. I'm happy to find a bunch of folks willing to give the game a try now that it's on pc. :)

i think its cool to like that style of gameplay, imo. like, i dont think its ideal, but its different and i think explores the concept well. one of the biggest problems i have w/ lots of fgs is they half-loaf in every direction. i'd rather see an idea fully realized (what if getting hit was still a mixup?) and just go to town with it, make it as fun as possible or w/e. if some people dont like that, thats cool, if some people love that, thats also cool. 3s accidently ended up making this weird parry monster thats half one game and half another. if they said "gently caress it, lets make crazy as poo poo option selects the whole game" youd end up with

oh that was virtua fighter basically lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
keep in mind what upsets me about skullgirls defense force ppl, etc, is that they defend the poo poo about their game that has niche appeal or is generally "bad design" but can be enjoyable to some people by calling it generally good or Not Bad For Most People But Instead The Best. i also think brian is entitled to like 3s because hes good at it and accepts its parryworld even though parryworld is really invisible and off-putting to most players. zand defends grognard poo poo because he likes grognard poo poo, but refuses to accept that fgs cannot exist as a genre to many people unless much of the grognard poo poo is obfuscated, paced into the learning curve better, or removed to do as little harm as possible to high level play. i think fgs should be made for people who like grognard poo poo, and i think there should be good accessible fgs that arent memes like divekick. the audience of these basic games can be used to introduce people to harder niche games with cooler ideas. but without a big mainstream game with good high level play that also caters to baddies, you're never gonna have an audience. i want to see big games that are really good for most ppl, and fully realized niche concepts for smaller audiences. but the latter is never going to get the graphical fidelity of a AAA title.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

anime was right posted:

but without a big mainstream game with good high level play that also caters to baddies, you're never gonna have an audience. i want to see big games that are really good for most ppl, and fully realized niche concepts for smaller audiences. but the latter is never going to get the graphical fidelity of a AAA title.

This is kinda what I'm hoping riot bought the rising thunder team to do, but with LoL characters or something.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dj Meow Mix posted:

This is kinda what I'm hoping riot bought the rising thunder team to do, but with LoL characters or something.

its kinda hosed up that street fighter SHOULD be this game, but fails at being either at the same time. at the same time, i really think this leaves the market open to riot (which is almost entirely how LoL got big in the first place).

i also think they will not design the game in the way rising thunder was being designed, assuming their design principles are the same. i genuinely think they'll make like bad throws but good movespeed or something. buttons will feel better and animations/characters will be much better realized, if they make a fg.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 31, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
we're never going to get the Riot fighting game and it will forever be a mystery why Rising Thunder team got bought.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

I like when gambles mostly happen in neutral

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

anime was right posted:

keep in mind what upsets me about skullgirls defense force ppl, etc, is that they defend the poo poo about their game that has niche appeal or is generally "bad design" but can be enjoyable to some people by calling it generally good or Not Bad For Most People But Instead The Best. i also think brian is entitled to like 3s because hes good at it and accepts its parryworld even though parryworld is really invisible and off-putting to most players. zand defends grognard poo poo because he likes grognard poo poo, but refuses to accept that fgs cannot exist as a genre to many people unless much of the grognard poo poo is obfuscated, paced into the learning curve better, or removed to do as little harm as possible to high level play. i think fgs should be made for people who like grognard poo poo, and i think there should be good accessible fgs that arent memes like divekick. the audience of these basic games can be used to introduce people to harder niche games with cooler ideas. but without a big mainstream game with good high level play that also caters to baddies, you're never gonna have an audience. i want to see big games that are really good for most ppl, and fully realized niche concepts for smaller audiences. but the latter is never going to get the graphical fidelity of a AAA title.

zand is right though

i mean he's a jerk and i don't like the exact same grognard stuff that he does, but he's still generally correct

also i'm pretty sure your description of obfuscating how the game really plays from newer players is exactly the problem i described that drove me away from 3S a while back so i don't want any part of what you're selling here lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

zand is right though

i mean he's a jerk and i don't like the exact same grognard stuff that he does, but he's still generally correct

also i'm pretty sure your description of obfuscating how the game really plays from newer players is exactly the problem i described that drove me away from 3S a while back so i don't want any part of what you're selling here lol

you're real fun at parties i bet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

melty blood is the only good video game

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The thing I liked about melty blood was there are so many specials you could literally input any given special input you know in either direction and press any button and you'll get a special move.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

anime was right posted:

you're real fun at parties i bet

I am, in fact, but only because I'm a sellout who plays Overwatch and other badly compromised games despite what I think of them.

People don't graduate from more accessible games to better designed games, more accessible games sell better and take over entire genres and big commercial game developers engage in a race to the bottom to make their games as soft-edged and not-ever-frustrating as possible.

Good design is distinctive and challenging and the result of that is that, yes, I'm not gonna like parries enough to play 3S and you're not going to like the "always on" pressure of Skullgirls and so on, but that's fine. It's good for developers to be confident enough in their vision to risk alienating people.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I downloaded KI to give it a shot since people were talking about it and I can't even figure out where the hell it installed on my computer.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I agree with anime is right's general point that fighting games should have a clear vision of what they want yo be rather than to appease everyone. However, I disagree with his claim that many of these games basic mechanics are objectively bad rather than subjective.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

zand is right though

He's more right than most people on here give him credit for. However, he's often too conservative for his own good. It's rare to see a '97er person on the FGC today though. Kind of like running into Sega fanboys in the wild.

In Training posted:

Waku Waku 7 is cool.

I've spent only two hours or so with it but it is very fun.

In Training posted:

I downloaded KI to give it a shot since people were talking about it and I can't even figure out where the hell it installed on my computer.

Go into your settings on the Xbox app and find where it saves the downloads. You start the game by clicking "Play" in the "My Games" tab.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 31, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I agree with anime is right's general point that fighting games should have a clear vision of what they want yo be rather than to appease everyone. However, I disagree with his claim that many of these games basic mechanics are objectively bad rather than subjective.

He's more right than most people on here give him credit for. However, he's often too conservative for his own good. It's rare to see a '97er person on the FGC today though. Kind of like running into Sega fanboys in the wild.

I've spent only two hours or so with it but it is very fun.

Go into your settings on the Xbox app and find where it saves the downloads. You start the game by clicking "Play" in the "My Games" tab.

I can start the game but I was trying to find the root folder because my PS4 stick doesn't work automatically so I was gonna mess with x360ce to get it working but this all too much work.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

In Training posted:

I can start the game but I was trying to find the root folder because my PS4 stick doesn't work automatically so I was gonna mess with x360ce to get it working but this all too much work.

Install joy2key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

In Training posted:

Windows Apps folder, which is hidden by default. You also have to change the owner of the folder from "Trusted Installer" to yourself

https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

Then Microsoft.KillerInstinct-Win10.somethingsomethingsomething

Trykt fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 31, 2017