Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey folks. Just bought a game called Scythe -- strange kinda Risk of Cataan thing, only problem is, it seems like I only got half of the game board? Or that half of the board is printed on either side of one piece of gameboard, and it won't be opened up any more. What am I missing here :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bogart posted:

Hey folks. Just bought a game called Scythe -- strange kinda Risk of Cataan thing, only problem is, it seems like I only got half of the game board? Or that half of the board is printed on either side of one piece of gameboard, and it won't be opened up any more. What am I missing here :downs:

An add on. One half of the board is the full board. The other side of that is part of the bigger map, which is something that not everyone wants/needs, so they decided to split it off as an add on.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Bogart posted:

You should have the full board on one side, and half of the board printed twice as large on the other side. As a deluxe add-on you can buy the other half of the board printed at double size to have a super huge board, but you don't need it to play.

EFetc.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
...Ah. Yeah, that makes sense!

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Also keep in mind that Scythe is mostly an economic/resource-management game, with combat being infrequent. You'll threaten combat a lot to control areas, but fighting is expensive and you need to pick your battles carefully. I think its a really solid game, just don't go in expecting a non-stop giant robot slugfest.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Also keep in mind that Scythe is mostly an economic/resource-management game, with combat being infrequent. You'll threaten combat a lot to control areas, but fighting is expensive and you need to pick your battles carefully. I think its a really solid game, just don't go in expecting a non-stop giant robot slugfest.

Oh no, I've played the game before with friends. (Friends who had the expansion, I realize now.) I was just calling it Risk of Cataan because I don't read the thread too much and don't know if it's a big thing outside of my dumb friend group. :shobon: Thanks, though!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

Oh no, I've played the game before with friends. (Friends who had the expansion, I realize now.) I was just calling it Risk of Cataan because I don't read the thread too much and don't know if it's a big thing outside of my dumb friend group. :shobon: Thanks, though!

Pretty sure it's one of the more popular games at the moment.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ginette Reno posted:

Argent is a fun game. I didn't like it with 5-6 players though. Was a bit too slow with that many. It's a great 4 player game though.

Viticulture has an interesting theme but it hasn't clicked super well for me yet, but I've only played it a few times.

I'm pretty sure you'd need some kind of customized super-table to actually play Argent with 6 players. I've never done so before and the thought of attempting to do so makes me vaguely nauseous, and I even like Argent a lot but I totally agree that it's a great 3-4 player game but 5+ is probably not a great idea even though it's technically possible.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Y'all are really sleeping on City of Horror here. It's seriously the best 6 player <2 hour game I've ever found.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ginette Reno posted:

Pretty sure it's one of the more popular games at the moment.

I thought the hype had mostly moved on to other games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Tabletop featured Harbour. The fact that that video exists is going to sell thousands of copies of that piece of poo poo game.

Now I finally understand why people hate Wil Wheaton. Okay, that's a lie, I always understood, but I am still unreasonably upset by this development.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Keyflower, Dominant Species, Imperial can be finished in a normal gaming session with 6 people. Game of Thrones & Eclipse are other good 6 player options, but take longer.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Tabletop featured Harbour. The fact that that video exists is going to sell thousands of copies of that piece of poo poo game.

Now I finally understand why people hate Wil Wheaton. Okay, that's a lie, I always understood, but I am still unreasonably upset by this development.

I don't understand. Is it because he made a video about a game that isn't good, or....

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
People ITT dislike Tabletop for being overproduced, and occasionally ballsing up major rules.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Krazyface posted:

People ITT dislike Tabletop for being overproduced, and occasionally ballsing up major rules.

I would say not even occasionally. they had steven jackson on to play loving munchkin and got rules wrong.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

I thought the hype had mostly moved on to other games.

Nah, it's been a consistent seller and an expansion is about to release or has been released.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How the hell do you get Munchkin rules wrong?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I would say not even occasionally. they had steven jackson on to play loving munchkin and got rules wrong.

Lmao.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I'm still very salty with regards to the presentation made by Tabletop's producer one year at PAX, where they basically tried to claim that the boardgame boom was because of them, not that they just had timed it right to piggy-back on an emerging trend by being the only non-neckbeardy media in the hobby at the time.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Three Kingdoms: Redux preorders are open (shipping in May). $50 shipped seems pretty solid for that game: https://www.capstone-games.com/

They've also got Haspelknecht and the expansion (+ a free promo apparently) if that's your thing. They announced a reprint of Lignum as well (with American Rails, Vanuatu, and some other stuff later this year). They're a pretty cool company (excellent CS) and they're choosing some really interesting games to reprint (previously they did Arkwright) so I hope they continue to do well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Ok, as someone who knows very little about board games, what is it about munchkin that it is bad they got the rules wrong, and who is steve jackson? I know I recognize his name from some CYOA rpg book things but idk anything else about him so

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Steve Jackson created Munchkin.

Munchkin has very simple rules.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Magnetic North posted:

I think it's hilarious that he made a huge two-part video of an actually good game that's out of print now after the GW/FF split.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did he point out at all that they were loving it up, or is it one of those things where for the sake of entertainment they simplified or skipped certain rules?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tabletop had a period where they hosed up rules a lot, which to Wheaton putting all the blame on one producer.

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok, as someone who knows very little about board games, what is it about munchkin that it is bad they got the rules wrong, and who is steve jackson? I know I recognize his name from some CYOA rpg book things but idk anything else about him so

It took me years to realise there are two Steve Jacksons. One did Fighting Fantasy and Games Workshop, one did Munchkin (and, confusingly, a few Fighting Fantasy books).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's British Steve Jackson who does Fighting Fantasy and American Steve Jackson who was raided by the Secret Service because GURPS Cyberpunk creator researched computer hackers for his setting. I would totally raid him today to destroy all copies of Munchkin.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tabletop had a period where they hosed up rules a lot, which to Wheaton putting all the blame on one producer.

It took me years to realise there are two Steve Jacksons. One did Fighting Fantasy and Games Workshop, one did Munchkin (and, confusingly, a few Fighting Fantasy books).

loving WHAT

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah this guy doesnt know about the two Jacksons.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
goddamn public school education

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Game night! WIth three players total.

Anachrony: Pretty standard worker placement with neat theming and a few gimmicks and definitely overproduced minis. Definitely just play with the rule where you get 1 paradox per timefucked era instead of actually rolling for paradox. Christ did that get annoying for such little gain. But it's solid, if somewhat unremarkable. I feel like the end of game goals are a bit undercosted, since it doesn't really feel like they were worth pursuing or fighting over too much, but maybe our game was weird in which I had like 20 points over second place (who had 20 points over third).

The Networks: Surprisingly difficult decisions, and a lot of nail biting "please give me an 8 PM show please give me an 8 PM show gently caress gently caress gently caress" sort of moments. A part of me wishes that the shows/stars/ads had a bit more interesting effects and choices in themselves, though. Like the Guy Who Always Dies in Everything was probably the most interesting designed card, rather than being some variant of "Be this genre." But a nice, quick game.

Santorini: Don't play this with three. I have no idea how you're supposed to outplay two people able to block your win. Seems a fine enough game otherwise, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shadow225 posted:

6 player games:
Colt Express
Sushi Go Party
Libertalia
Between Two Cities
Lords of Waterdeep + Expansion
Camel Up

Not yet played:
Argent + Expansion
Viticulture

Also Hyperborea, Carson City, Historia, Evolution and (if you don't mind a better version of Guillotine) Pecunia Non Olet.

I don't know if North Star Games plan to do a new Evolution variant this year, but next year will be Evolution: The Oceans designed by another company under licence. Same mechanics, same artist, but unlike the regular Evolution Project games there's no way of running it in parallel.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't understand. Is it because he made a video about a game that isn't good, or....

People have lots of problems with Tabletop, but it is the biggest show in town. Being featured will make a game sell even if it sucks. Harbour is a terrible, mostly forgotten game at this point.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Remember citizens of the BG thread that only Officially Approved Board Games can be discussed in this thread. If you do not know what those game are, please PM me.

Also remember that not knowing the list of Officially Approved Board Games is grounds for banning/summary execution!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Are there any good lightweight worker placement games, or is that a genre that needs a moderate amount of complexity to work well?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Has no one mentioned Twilight Imperium at 6 players?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

djfooboo posted:

Has no one mentioned Twilight Imperium at 6 players?

Because we are filled with love and mercy for our fellow humans.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

Brad Talton said on the BGG boards that Argent is getting a reprint and an expansion. Which means that it probably won't fit in the Argent box anymore, dammit.

A second expansion? Jesus, as if there weren't enough stuff. I'll buy it anyways though...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tales of Woe posted:

Are there any good lightweight worker placement games, or is that a genre that needs a moderate amount of complexity to work well?

If you squint you can pretend Tokaido is a very basic worker placement with the gimmick of actions just no longer being available after taken/bypassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

Stone Age is a good light worker placement game