Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Sounds like they've really boxed in the school districts over the years, just incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Sounds like they've really boxed in the school districts over the years, just incredible.

This is the state where a Justice of the Supreme Court literally put his hands around the neck of another Justice, and on another occasion called the Chief Justice "a total bitch" and threatened to "destroy" her. When he met with state ethics investigators, he basically said, "Well, in my defense, she was being a total bitch."

That Justice won re-election a few months later.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Pockets of Wisconsin are cool but it's a deeply weird state

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

The narrator of Shittown is such a useless loving dweeb and I can't figure out yet whether that's a net asset or liability to the narrative

If it plays out like Serial...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

2) The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has been completely and utterly inept since putting Mike Tate in charge in 2009; he was ran out with pitchforks after botching the recall and the disaster that was the 2014 gubernatorial election, and his successor, Martha Laning, has been similarly inept. Their messaging strategy is basically Clinton's 2016 campaign: "We don't need to have a message, we just need to point at Walker and say, 'Man, gently caress that guy, vote for us.'" And that strategy gave Republicans their biggest majorities in the Legislature since the 1970s.

Man, the provincial equivalent of the democrats(the ostensibly leftist but not nearly enough PQ) has been similarly incompetent up here. The leader was a Clinton-like figure that failed to take a stand on the growing division within the party (baby boomer values vs people actually caring about unions and working class rights) and thought the fact that nobody in the world likes her at all wouldn't matter, and she was so unpopular during her brief stint as provincial PM that even surviving an assassination attempt didn't keep the provincial Liberals (the neo-con party that just had a major corruption scandal resulting in them ousting their leaders) from getting a majority.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

morestuff posted:

Pockets of Wisconsin are cool but it's a deeply weird state

New Glarus is a Very Good Beer and an aggressively cute town, and House On The Rock is a pilgrimage for my wife and i every few years. Madison's a really cool town from what I remember and I've heard good things about Milwaukee lately.

That's it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

New Glarus is a Very Good Beer and an aggressively cute town, and House On The Rock is a pilgrimage for my wife and i every few years. Madison's a really cool town from what I remember and I've heard good things about Milwaukee lately.

That's it.

cheap NBA games and the Mars Cheese Castle too but yeah

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 31, 2017

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
poo poo i forgot about cheese. Add curds onto that list.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Jenny, it's pretty inconsequential to the overall greatness of the show

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've never been to Wisconsin but it's weird that they're known for the same things Quebec is. Good beer, dairy products, bumpkins, and weirdo cinema geeks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've spent time in both, I'd take the good parts of Wisconsin any day. Beer was better, cheese was better, less condescension from francophiles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've spent time in both, I'd take the good parts of Wisconsin any day. Beer was better, cheese was better, less condescension from francophiles.

Pfff, just what I'd expect from an anglo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The so called "French Canadians" are subjects of queen Elizabeth II and therefore British not French.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

The so called "French Canadians" are subjects of queen Elizabeth II and therefore British not French.
Tabernac!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FreudianSlippers posted:

So they'd be British Canadians? Still need to identify them by the language, so they'd have to be French British Canadians. But really, since Canadians are subjects of the Queen, they're not really Canadian but British. So really "French Canadians" should be called "French British British".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's why we keep trying to separate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's it.

Outside of my year in Baltimore, I've lived in Madison since 2010 and it's been great, and Milwaukee is definitely a very good city (although the drive to get there from Madison to see a concert or whatever is brutally boring).

Honestly, though, if my wife's family didn't own property in the middle of nowhere -- it's a five-room cabin, wood-burning stove, middle of nowhere in Marinette County, with 200 acres of woods that are absolutely gorgeous; my late father-in-law built the house with his Dad and grew up there -- my wife and I probably would have stayed in Dubuque or moved to Maryland. It's really impossible to overstate the peace and serenity that comes from spending a weekend or a week in the woods where there's no satellite TV, no Internet, and it takes fifteen minutes to drive into town to get some groceries.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ungulateman posted:

Colour me surprised, I had extraordinarily low expectations for a video game adaptation of a 'intelligent' 'thoughtful' game like AssCreed.

On the surface, at least, the whole conceit of 'genetic time travelling' struck me as Very Raceist. I guess there's a certain interesting idea in Generic White Male Protagonist reverse-vicariously living through his cool ancestor, while being trapped in Corporate Hell, but I never finished any of the games or saw the movie, so.

Desmond isn't white is he

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He looks completely different every game for some reason, he's pretty white in some of them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
He starts out Middle Eastern and morphs into Nolan North

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All Canadians, regardless of native tongue, are Brits.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You should tell the Brits that, then. They've been letting Canadians have the run of the place for years!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Snak posted:

He starts out Middle Eastern and morphs into Nolan North

This seems like more of a lighting thing than anything else. This is also from III:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Clay

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Hedenius posted:

Anything Mel Brooks was involved in after 1974 is trash but the only film people keep defending is Spaceballs. And it is that bad.

I still have to see The Elephant Man.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Saw Night of the Comet (1984) tonight. Very nice picture. One of the many 1980's responses to Dawn of the Dead, Comet leans on strong imagery in the expressionist tradition of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari to depict a psychic landscape of the dehumanizing and isolating cultural logic of the western Cold War endgame. Comet is to be commended for the earnest and forthcoming joy with which it depicts the liberating festival season of apocalypse, returning to the more typical pattern of intense cynicism only in its depiction of the "end of history".

A good Dick Rude double feature with Repo Man..

Also a good Christmas movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So it turns out Slipknot guy's movie is way better than the Linkin Park guy's movie. It's got the Neveldine stamp as well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

Silent Movie is great and High Anxiety is funny. I think the latter is better if you've seen a lot of Hitchcock films since a lot of the plot is a parody of Spellbound.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Jenny Angel posted:

The narrator of Shittown is such a useless loving dweeb and I can't figure out yet whether that's a net asset or liability to the narrative

I laughed at how scared he was to quote other people using ~*~the n word.~*~

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

Silent Movie is great and High Anxiety is funny. I think the latter is better if you've seen a lot of Hitchcock films since a lot of the plot is a parody of Spellbound.

The Blow Up parody is so funny in a really dumb way.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Discount Viscount posted:

idgi

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mel Brooks was an executive producer for The Elephant Man.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DC Murderverse posted:

Oh awesome they dropped the minimum wage in my city by almost $3 this will almost certainly have no effect on my current pay

No sir I bet the corporation that pays my bills will not be dropping my wage at all because they're nice and good and capitalism isn't hosed

I've never actually heard of a place lowering the minimum wage. What the gently caress? Why is this a thing that they can even do?

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand how Scott Walker keeps getting re-elected. I mean I get that Americans love republicans, but even for an R, he's so obviously evil and contemptuous of the working class.

Most people who vote republican are doing so against their own best interests so this doesn't seem unusual. Just look at how many rubes are crawling out of the woodwork to say they regret voting for Trump.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Blow Up parody is so funny in a really dumb way.

Yeah that scene rules

Spatulater bro! posted:

Also Cronenberg's The Fly iirc

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah that scene rules

Also Cronenberg's The Fly iirc

And Solarbabies for some reason!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I've never actually heard of a place lowering the minimum wage. What the gently caress? Why is this a thing that they can even do?

There was a failed push to do this in Washington state after Seattle raised minimum wage to (eventually be after tiered phasing) $15 an hour. It's the same thing where individual cities (since they tend to be more progressive) pass LGBT non-discrimination measures and then the state makes those illegal. I think the anti-trans bathroom bill in North Carolina only became a thing when Charlotte enacted some non-discrimination thing.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Spatulater bro! posted:

What the poo poo. Elephant Man is like my favorite movie and I had no idea about that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What the Christ is shittown

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

There was a failed push to do this in Washington state after Seattle raised minimum wage to (eventually be after tiered phasing) $15 an hour. It's the same thing where individual cities (since they tend to be more progressive) pass LGBT non-discrimination measures and then the state makes those illegal. I think the anti-trans bathroom bill in North Carolina only became a thing when Charlotte enacted some non-discrimination thing.

Our country is gross and mean.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

What the Christ is shittown
Liverpool apperently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLknxq-QZ48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym