Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To use AV Club's favourite terminology......Noah Hawley has a finale problem.

Seriously, we had 7 episodes of the most visually stylish/unique show on television and then the most stylised thing in this finale is.....a bunch of slo-mo?

I felt it was sorta boring tbh. Everything this season and the big showdown just came down to magic energy field and David making gurning faces. Excited for s2 and the Clement/Plaza double-act though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

So did anyone else get this vibe like Oliver was a willing host? He didn't seem to be struggling against SK at all and he's been shown to be an incredibly powerful psychic so...?

I thought he was supposed to be kinda weak?

Everyone keeps talking about how super strong David is and all Oliver ever did was get stuck in the astral plane.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
He's super strong, which is how he got stuck in the astral plane in the first place. He's just got nothing on David.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I got the feeling the Shadow King sexed his way into Oliver's mind.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Oliver required protection to keep the Shadow King out, either his ice cube or diving suit. He wasn't prepared when he got hit.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

Well, this entire season was the dude fighting Shadow King.

What would people have wanted, a Potter vs Voldemort wand battle?

I think it was fine. I have no idea about the drone at the end, however.

Yeah, people would've loved the scene they didn't like being replaced with another scene they wouldn't like for the exact same reasons.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Honestly, I think what I--and maybe many other people--were hoping for was a crazy and visually creative Astral Plane battle like the original one between Xavier and Farouk both from the comics and alluded to in this series in the scene with David in the classroom.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

Oliver required protection to keep the Shadow King out, either his ice cube or diving suit. He wasn't prepared when he got hit.

This is the answer. David is in a class all his own, and is exponentially more powerful than any other mutant alive. SK historically completely overwhelms his host and then does whatever he wants. David is so powerful that even as a baby, SK couldn't get a firm foothold in his mind. He had to rely on subterfuge and misdirection to stay in the drivers seat.

While David may or may not have lived, SK was definitely locked in Davids mind and couldn't move on. That's why he convinced Syd the only hope was using her power to "save" David. He was really saving himself. Once out, back to normal and jumping from body to body as needed. Oliver is powerful enough for SK to want to ride for a while, but he had no chance of being able to resist.

And I think David is still miles away from normal. There's definitely going to be a ton of mental issues from PTSD alone, let alone any mental damage from hosting the SK for so long.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve

Longbaugh01 posted:

Honestly, I think what I--and maybe many other people--were hoping for was a crazy and visually creative Astral Plane battle like the original one between Xavier and Farouk both from the comics and alluded to in this series in the scene with David in the classroom.

That's what I was hoping for to be honest, something that echoed, or was built from the foundations of, the scenes where Team Summerland were lost in David's patchwork memories, or where David was trying to escape the Shadow King's prison the episode beforehand. I know you can't please everyone, but seeing Stevens and Plaza duke it out, physically and emotionally, across David's history would've been a great payoff.

I didn't anticipate Oliver getting possessed, actually. I kind of suspected it might be Linklater/The Interrogator, being groomed for a bigger role in season two. That, of course, is still a possibility, just not in the way I thought.

God, that shot when David fucks his whole team up, and it just lingers on him as they walk away.

"poo poo."

datingvolcanoes fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 31, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I feel like the only thing the show needs to do now is bring in Matt Berry and have him act opposite Jemaine Clement.

gently caress it Legion/Darkplace crossover.

I didn't realize Matt Berry and Jemaine Clement were two different people until your post, when it all clicked. I recognized Jemaine Clement's voice as the guy from Darkplace - a show I saw many years ago on Adult Swim at like 2 AM so my memories were hazy - but it turns out it's two similar looking actors with very similar British accents and voice inflections.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think if we had gotten the Astral Plane Goku vs Mewtwo psychic bubble battle that would have been lame. What we got was kinda lame in a "really?", I literally rolled my eyes when David floated down from the ceiling. I just feel like this episode went out of its way to do all the things the previous 7 episodes went way far out of their way not to do in terms of tropes.

I also agree that Melanie is probably the pyrokinetic, since her apology to Warwolf sounded so sincere before she went into corporate mode.

What I wanted was SK erasing David from his own memories. Like what if we'd seen SK consuming David in pieces. Bam he forgets ever having Philly as a girlfriend, boom he literally cannot remember his parents faces anymore that kind of thing.

I'm kind of just utterly tickled that the most unsettling criminal duo of 2018 is going to be Aubrey Plaza & Jermaine Clement.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bust Rodd posted:

I think if we had gotten the Astral Plane Goku vs Mewtwo psychic bubble battle that would have been lame.

That's not necessarily what we meant. I for one said "crazy and visually creative." I wanted Noah Hawley's version of an Astral Plane battle as the climactic set-piece.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Man, it really has been two months since this started. I'm glad I gave it a shot, it's been amazing. But yeah, it felt a bit lackluster as an ending. Will definitely watch the next season.

datingvolcanoes posted:

God, that shot when David fucks his whole team up, and it just lingers on him as they walk away.

"poo poo."

That was great. All that build up and then David just sweeps them all out of the way and wanders off. And I think I heard one of them do a Wilhelm Scream.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't realize Matt Berry and Jemaine Clement were two different people until your post, when it all clicked. I recognized Jemaine Clement's voice as the guy from Darkplace - a show I saw many years ago on Adult Swim at like 2 AM so my memories were hazy - but it turns out it's two similar looking actors with very similar British accents and voice inflections.

Jemaine Clement is from New Zealand.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Jemaine Clement is from New Zealand.

Do people think he Matt Berry look like each other? I don't really see it, but concede others might.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like we got that in the different coffin setpieces and David watching himself as a baby.

The Astral Plane is conceptually cool but almost impossible to execute on screen. The big setpieces in this show are there to show David's total control of reality and its physical properties, the body parts and the TK tornadoes of dishes, etc.

The Astral Plane is outside of things like physics and time, and what little we see of it is Oliver, utterly clinging to what he remembers about the Physical realm. Depicting two characters on the Astral Plane as entities or concepts separate from what we understand them to be would take more than an episode to set up. Obviously SK's fat guy body works, but David...

At the risk of sounding like a total Weeaboo, for a great Astral Plane/Matrix boss fight, watch the last two episodes of Outlaw Star. It does a good job of showing how simply distorting perspective can radically change the playing field and make for weird but cool psychic fights.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Do people think he Matt Berry look like each other? I don't really see it, but concede others might.

Not really. He wears a similar outfit in this show to the one Matt Berry wears in his Community episode, but that's about it.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Ok so to everyone who seems to think David is now 100% sane: David feels better because before he was schizophrenic AND he had a psychic parasite that was pushing him further into madness, and now he's just schizophrenic. I guarantee an immediate season 2 plot line will be "I thought I was better, but Im starting to think Im not."

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Guys you're never going to get a sick astral plane battle because of budget. It's a first season experimental show for a niche character on cable television. They're lucky they were able to afford the paper mache for the angry boy costume

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What's the deal with the strange moment when Clark (the burned interrogator dude) is being offered a glass of water and Kerry demands that he takes it from the table?

Was it just awkwardness relating to the firestorm at The Pool?

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I think that was just Kerry seeing a potential threat and being protective. As in, he could have grabbed Cary and then break the glass and cut him or something.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Alright so no to an Astral Plane battle but how about just something more climactic than two people running at each other, colliding, and being thrown backwards.

AndyElusive posted:

What's the deal with the strange moment when Clark (the burned interrogator dude) is being offered a glass of water and Kerry demands that he takes it from the table?

Was it just awkwardness relating to the firestorm at The Pool?

Yeah I wondered that myself since there was a lot of emphasis on it.

My guess is twofold: Kerry thinks it's a security concern and Clark could take advantage of close contact with Cary, and Kerry doesn't want Cary touching Clark because Cary touching Clark might be like Kerry herself touching Clark and she doesn't want that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It was also to highlight that, even though she was pissed off at him, Kerry still cared and showed concern for Carey.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

This is the answer. David is in a class all his own, and is exponentially more powerful than any other mutant alive. SK historically completely overwhelms his host and then does whatever he wants. David is so powerful that even as a baby, SK couldn't get a firm foothold in his mind. He had to rely on subterfuge and misdirection to stay in the drivers seat.

While David may or may not have lived, SK was definitely locked in Davids mind and couldn't move on. That's why he convinced Syd the only hope was using her power to "save" David. He was really saving himself. Once out, back to normal and jumping from body to body as needed. Oliver is powerful enough for SK to want to ride for a while, but he had no chance of being able to resist.

And I think David is still miles away from normal. There's definitely going to be a ton of mental issues from PTSD alone, let alone any mental damage from hosting the SK for so long.
That's how I read it. Oliver was impressively strong enough to maintain his own identity but the Shadow King is calling the shots now.

It broke my heart that they timed out for the moment he remembered Melanie.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Looking at Google Images, they do, sometimes. Oliver and the guy from Darkplace look and sound very similar, but I don't see the resemblance nearly as strong in other things Matt Berry's been in.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Alright so no to an Astral Plane battle but how about just something more climactic than two people running at each other, colliding, and being thrown backwards.

Even if they were just standing still on opposite ends of the hallway and then BOOM, SK flew back in an explosion would be better than them running into each other like the Teenage Warhead character from Deadpool... but you know what, I'm not going to Goon out about it, it was just a transitional scene. The real battle was in David's head a few scenes back.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Ok so to everyone who seems to think David is now 100% sane: David feels better because before he was schizophrenic AND he had a psychic parasite that was pushing him further into madness, and now he's just schizophrenic. I guarantee an immediate season 2 plot line will be "I thought I was better, but Im starting to think Im not."

Isn't hearing other people's voices/thoughts part of his superpower?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't hearing other people's voices/thoughts part of his superpower?

Yes, but are they REAL people, or people in his head he's created?

I thought it was pretty neat at the end when David was talking to the Shadow King about how maybe he wouldn't be himself anymore if SK were removed from him, since he'd been there since David'd been a baby. Wish they'd've done more with that proecss than them sprinting at each other.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

flosofl posted:

Man I don't think so, but I'm also a huge Flight of the Conchords nerd and had to google who Matt Berry was so maybe I'm biased.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
How do people confuse a dumpy British comedian with a sexy New Zealander rock star?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

EdBlackadder posted:

That's how I read it. Oliver was impressively strong enough to maintain his own identity but the Shadow King is calling the shots now.

It broke my heart that they timed out for the moment he remembered Melanie.
Yeah, this was the worst bit of it. Her keeping a respectful distance despite wanting to get their marriage back, him remembering just before getting whisked away.

KPC_Mammon posted:

How do people confuse a dumpy British comedian with a sexy New Zealander rock star?
I get Patrick Dempsey and Sean Penn confused.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah I wondered that myself since there was a lot of emphasis on it.

My guess is twofold: Kerry thinks it's a security concern and Clark could take advantage of close contact with Cary, and Kerry doesn't want Cary touching Clark because Cary touching Clark might be like Kerry herself touching Clark and she doesn't want that.

It was very much a security thing: otherwise he's within a hand's distance of a captor and being handed glass to attack with.

You can tell by his eyes that he was going to pull something, too. He's military-ish, he knows tactics. Fortunately for the Not X-Men, Kerry is real good at fighting and tactics, too.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

JawnV6 posted:

I get Patrick Dempsey and Sean Penn confused.

For the longest time I thought Javier Bardem and Jeffrey Dean Morgan were the same person.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I hope we see more of tree guy now. I bet he's a parasite too, just a chill little weak one with minor powers. :) Had to hide with Farouk around. Now it's safe to come out and play.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fantastic show but the final episode did feel like the weakest one. For a show that referenced David Lynch a bunch (had to laugh at the commander being named Major Briggs) I expected something more horrific, but it was pretty standard compared to the rest of the series.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
it was pretty standard, all things considered, but I really liked the first part of the episode being dedicated to the Interrogator/Clark. classic Hawley touch, pretty much, and Hamish Linklater was very impressive. I'm glad he survived the finale, and I hope both he and Jemaine Clement are regulars in season 2.

one thing that has bugged me is that Ptonomy is basically a background character at this point. He got barely anything in the last two episodes! I thought he was going to be more significant, but instead Kerry and Cary got a lot of development.

Honestly, I have to say I liked the finale because I expected a shock death, and yet nobody died, and things were resolved in a way that, while not ideal, made sense and moved things forward in an interesting direction for the future. I am a little confused about the body switching. So, Syd touched David, and both David's consciousness and the Shadow King jumped into her body, while she jumped into David's. Then Shadow King dominant over David jumped into Kerry, putting Kerry in Syd's body. but...when SK in Kerry's body confronts David, it seems to actually be David. Did only the Shadow King jump? I know I'm missing something.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Spatula City posted:

one thing that has bugged me is that Ptonomy is basically a background character at this point. He got barely anything in the last two episodes! I thought he was going to be more significant, but instead Kerry and Cary got a lot of development.
Ptonomy & Amy must have to share a script.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
So, since I have a million other things to do to prepare for next week, I'm gonna start screen-capping the first season and make a big-rear end IMGUR folder.. Any requests?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Spatula City posted:

I am a little confused about the body switching. Did only the Shadow King jump? I know I'm missing something.

Just Farouk jumped ship when Syd kissed David.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Farouk is the current intelligence that Shadow King has sublimated, right? People just call SK Farouk because that was the last body he was known to use - real Farouk was used and got his mind eaten. is that right? or IS Farouk and Shadow King one and the same?

Chokes McGee posted:

It was very much a security thing: otherwise he's within a hand's distance of a captor and being handed glass to attack with.

You can tell by his eyes that he was going to pull something, too. He's military-ish, he knows tactics. Fortunately for the Not X-Men, Kerry is real good at fighting and tactics, too.

I mean, she's plot-great, she's not that great at fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Drifter posted:

Farouk is the current intelligence that Shadow King has sublimated, right? People just call SK Farouk because that was the last body he was known to use - real Farouk was used and got his mind eaten. is that right? or IS Farouk and Shadow King one and the same?

Comics Shadow King is (probably) this, a body jumping parasite for whom Farouk was only the most recent save one victim. Legion TV Shadow King? Your guess is as good as mine. Things are so far away from the comics that you can't really use them to predict a drat thing about anything. (This is a good thing, by the way.) For the TV show we just don't know enough at this stage to guess.