Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mirthless posted:

You put together more words about my two posts in this comment than there are total words in either of those two posts, and none of what you have put to text here accurately describes what I posted.

Turn your computer off and go outside.

Well it sure seemed to me that you were implying that the dude may be a weirdo and a little pathological and has a very specific 'type' (just like serial killers do!!) and found a stripper he liked and for whatever reason decided he needed to find her sister and date her, but oops his nefarious plan didn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rakthar posted:

the dude may be a weirdo and a little pathological and has a very specific 'type' (just like serial killers do!!)

You... You don't know what it means when somebody is "someone's type"?

What... what in the world.....??????

:psyduck:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mirthless posted:

What... what in the world.....??????

:psyduck:

I'm ok with agreeing to disagree at this point if you are :)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rakthar posted:

Well it sure seemed to me that you were implying that the dude may be a weirdo and a little pathological and has a very specific 'type' (just like serial killers do!!) and found a stripper he liked and for whatever reason decided he needed to find her sister and date her, but oops his nefarious plan didn't work

you are an insanely stupid dude

stop responding to Mirthless

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mirthless posted:

You put together more words about my two posts in this comment than there are total words in either of those two posts, and none of what you have put to text here accurately describes what I posted.

Turn your computer off and go outside.
You made a dumb lovely "joke" that was framed more like your usual posting than an actual joke, so it's no surprise that people thought you were being Mirthless instead of making a joke.

Not that the slapfight derail is any better than the joke itself, mind you. Maybe you both need to date a stripper go outside.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mirthless posted:

He immediately stopped going once he started dating and he wasn't some gross handsy creep according to the sister. Not really sure what the problem is here? For a dude who posts the things you post it's weird that you're taking this weird anti-stripclub track right now

I have the distinct life experience of having met several people who visit the strip club on a weekly basis.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Nobody with good heads on their shoulders goes to a strip club weekly. That includes the workers and the patrons.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Rakthar posted:

How do you feel about an adult male that goes to a strip club with any regularity, Waterbed Wendy?

it's pretty gross but who really cares in the long run? what does that have to do with anything?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

You made a dumb lovely "joke" that was framed more like your usual posting than an actual joke, so it's no surprise that people thought you were being Mirthless instead of making a joke.

Not that the slapfight derail is any better than the joke itself, mind you. Maybe you both need to date a stripper go outside.

Mirthless posted:

"Luck"

This is /r/relationships, he stalked the stripper until he found her spitting image sister and started dating her so he could live out his fantasy of dating/loving the stripper

I literally put a (this is a joke, guys) below the post but erased it before I posted it because I assumed the bolded part would have made it loving obvious

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
setting the moral element aside tho, if you go to the strip club regularly you are incredibly lame and pathetic

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

setting the moral element aside tho, if you go to the strip club regularly you are incredibly lame and pathetic

Exactly.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mirthless posted:

I literally put a (this is a joke, guys) below the post but erased it before I posted it because I assumed the bolded part would have made it loving obvious

perhaps, if you posted better, people would be able to tell when you were posting badly 'ironically'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

"Luck"

This is /r/relationships, he stalked the stripper until he found her spitting image sister and started dating her so he could live out his fantasy of dating/loving the stripper

I feel like this is easily recognizable as a joke :shrug:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

perhaps, if you posted better, people would be able to tell when you were posting badly 'ironically'

Can't knock it out of the park every time, it was only a bad post if you chose to read it that way deliberately and if Moridin could tell it was a joke, you should have been able to as well.

:agreed:

If nothing else, a less pathetic person would be using that time and money to pursue women who don't need a cash incentive to remove their clothes

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 31, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Rakthar posted:

the dude... has a very specific 'type' (just like serial killers do!!)

lmao

yeah

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

This thread has made us all powerfully retarded.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I worked with a guy who went to the strip club every day for the "free lunch". He was such a pathetic loser wound around the finger of multiple women there, lived with his parents and was thousands of dollars in debt. How much do you want to pay for an angry boner and how often, fella? Every once in a while for a bachelor party or in Vegas or whatever is fun, but becoming a regular barfly in one of those places is just so sad.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

right????

I know I make some of you kids real irrational but l-o-loving-l if you don't know what it means to be "somebody's type"

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

MF_James posted:

Most people with BPD don't put forth, or can't put forth the effort for the time it takes, you're the literal needle in a haystack here, or something like that. That's the problem with BPD and why it's so difficult to treat people with it.

My fiancee has had 2-3 clients she diagnosed with BPD and those were some of the most frustrating clients she had.

Oh yeah dude definitely, and even the most stubbornly motivated patients can waver in motivation because a lot of times personality-deep changes hurt like a motherfucker to enact. Borderline is loving hard to fix, and downright impossible if the motivation isn't there. It also takes near-unwavering trust in the therapist performing the treatment, which is really really hard to do because of the nature of the disease. It can be a nightmare on both sides until you start seeing results, which isn't for months sometimes. My sincere sympathy to your fiancee.

According to my therapist (because I asked her what my specific diagnoses were), mine isn't strictly speaking BPD. It's apparently C-PTSD, which uses a lot of the same treatment protocol and has a lot of symptom overlap. I've got several buddies I met in DBT treatment though that were able to shed their Borderline diagnoses after years of concerted effort, and I've got nothing but respect for the folks who see it through. It makes me even less sympathetic to these /r/relationships shitbirds who won't fix their poo poo when I see so many people who manage to break free and become productive, functional members of society. It also pisses me off seeing folks enable the maladaptive behaviors because "oh they're incurably mentally ill." No they're not. It's just really hard to fix and THEY have to WANT to fix themselves.

My sincere apologies for this derail but the whole "Borderline = incurable" thing is really hard for me to stomach because it's just not true. For therapy to work, though, folks have to want to fix themselves.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I used to go to the strip club like 2-3 times a month on tuesdays because they had $1 beers and 1$ burgers, the burgers were actually good, never once did I give money to a stripper for dances or anything, and my friend was friends with a few of them so we hung out a bit. Strippers are generally crazy.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Axqu posted:

Oh yeah dude definitely, and even the most stubbornly motivated patients can waver in motivation because a lot of times personality-deep changes hurt like a motherfucker to enact. Borderline is loving hard to fix, and downright impossible if the motivation isn't there. It also takes near-unwavering trust in the therapist performing the treatment, which is really really hard to do because of the nature of the disease. It can be a nightmare on both sides until you start seeing results, which isn't for months sometimes. My sincere sympathy to your fiancee.

According to my therapist (because I asked her what my specific diagnoses were), mine isn't strictly speaking BPD. It's apparently C-PTSD, which uses a lot of the same treatment protocol and has a lot of symptom overlap. I've got several buddies I met in DBT treatment though that were able to shed their Borderline diagnoses after years of concerted effort, and I've got nothing but respect for the folks who see it through. It makes me even less sympathetic to these /r/relationships shitbirds who won't fix their poo poo when I see so many people who manage to break free and become productive, functional members of society. It also pisses me off seeing folks enable the maladaptive behaviors because "oh they're incurably mentally ill." No they're not. It's just really hard to fix and THEY have to WANT to fix themselves.

My sincere apologies for this derail but the whole "Borderline = incurable" thing is really hard for me to stomach because it's just not true. For therapy to work, though, folks have to want to fix themselves.

I didn't mean to imply it was broadly incurable, more, that some cases in particular are incurable. It all comes down to willpower and motivation like you pointed out. I agree that the perceptions with borderline treatment are pretty harmful and enable-y.

DBT seems great and I wish it was more available than it is. It's very limited in the area I'm in and frustratingly restrictive in terms of availability.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm glad that I've never known a real person who regularly goes to strip clubs because it is really sad.

the yellow dog
Dec 27, 2007

It never did anything, it just stood there, being small and yellow...I couldn't pass if The Yellow Dog was there.
edit: someone already posted the kid with two broken legs

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If only there were a word to describe someone who did not have the willpower or motivation to do anything and would rather mooch off of others.

LMAO yes lets rush to excuse this guy's behavior. Even if he has a real diagnosis the fact that he has one and is unwilling to get help when it is put at access to him despite apparently being well enough to pedal dope and run scams makes him lazy anyhow. He clearly is not too depressed for self preservation if he can sell dope and run scams because that is why he is doing those things.

Dude should tell his wife that either the brother leaves or he takes the kids and leaves with them. It is unacceptable to have a drug dealer living on your couch bringing in methed out hookers when you have kids in the home. The fact that his wife can't see that in spite of loving her brother makes her parental judgment suspect. I would sue for custody if she wouldn't kick the guy out.

therobit fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 31, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Hey,

I was doing just fine before I met you

Strip clubs too much and that's an issue but I'm okay

Hey,

you tell your sis it was nice to meet them

But I hope I never see them again

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Play posted:

Hi, I'm pretty curious about how exactly the implant works in your case. You said you could wrap it to make it waterproof, so some of it is external and some internal? Where does it stick in? How big is the module that is outside the body and how big the part inside?

Sorry I'm just quite curious, I've never heard of anything like this before, ESPECIALLY not bluetooth compatible with a phone, that blows my loving mind

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it, but the "implant" itself is basically just a receiver and the electrodes that stimulate the Cochlear nerve. The non-electrode part of the Implant sits outside the skull but under the skin, the part you see on people's ears is a microphone/battery pack that provides power and signal to the implant via induction. I'm hideously simplifying here (the exterior unit has processors that try to do some speech discrimination on their part so it's not focusing on background noise, and apparently his unit can sync with his phone) but that's the basic gist.

I imagine much of the difficulty with the waterproofing is making a plastic bag for it that can be both waterproof and form fitting while still allowing for a solid connection to the implant.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

Mirthless posted:

I didn't mean to imply it was broadly incurable, more, that some cases in particular are incurable. It all comes down to willpower and motivation like you pointed out. I agree that the perceptions with borderline treatment are pretty harmful and enable-y.

DBT seems great and I wish it was more available than it is. It's very limited in the area I'm in and frustratingly restrictive in terms of availability.

Ok, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. DBT is absolutely wonderful if you want to change problem behaviors or maladaptive coping mechanisms. I cannot recommend it enough. You're somewhere in the Midwest, right? PM me if you'd like; I'm pretty dialed in to mental health stuff around these parts. Therapy for everyone!

therobit posted:

If only there were a word to describe someone who did not have the willpower or motivation to do anything and would rather mooch off of others.

LMAO yes lets rush to excuse this guy's behavior. Even if he has a real diagnosis the fact that he has one and is unwilling to get help when it is put at access to him despite apparently being well enough to pedal dope and run scams makes him lazy anyhow. He clearly is not too depressed for self preservation if he can sell dope and run scams because that is why he is doing those things.

Dude should tell his wife that either the brother leaves or he takes the kids and leaves with them. It is unacceptable to have a drug dealer living on your couch bringing in methed out hookers when you have kids in the home. The fact that his wife can't see that in spite of loving her brother makes her parental judgment suspect. I would sue for custody if she wouldn't kick the guy out.

Yeah that's exactly what I was (inelegantly) driving at. He needs to go.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Axqu posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I was (inelegantly) driving at. He needs to go.

sure he does, that's not the question

but people generally don't sit around and refuse to care for themselves to the point of homelessness because they have a rational thought process and a functioning, mature mind

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MF_James posted:

I used to go to the strip club like 2-3 times a month on tuesdays because they had $1 beers and 1$ burgers, the burgers were actually good, never once did I give money to a stripper for dances or anything, and my friend was friends with a few of them so we hung out a bit. Strippers are generally crazy.

some strip clubs are unironically good choices as dining establishments due to treating food as a bit of a loss leader, and I feel that is something that should be acknowledged by more people in this thread

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

LGD posted:

some strip clubs are unironically good choices as dining establishments due to treating food as a bit of a loss leader, and I feel that is something that should be acknowledged by more people in this thread

And there were people who really did read Playboy for the articles but even so

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

boner confessor posted:

sure he does, that's not the question

but people generally don't sit around and refuse to care for themselves to the point of homelessness because they have a rational thought process and a functioning, mature mind

Who cares? They've obviously past the point that any reasonable support network should go to. They've made every effort to find help for him, and now it's negatively affecting them. The question is not "Why is he like this" but "How do we salvage our lives"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Who cares? They've obviously past the point that any reasonable support network should go to. They've made every effort to find help for him, and now it's negatively affecting them. The question is not "Why is he like this" but "How do we salvage our lives"

human beings generally care for the health and welfare of their family members, despite illness and bad behavior

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Play posted:

Hi, I'm pretty curious about how exactly the implant works in your case. You said you could wrap it to make it waterproof, so some of it is external and some internal? Where does it stick in? How big is the module that is outside the body and how big the part inside?

Sorry I'm just quite curious, I've never heard of anything like this before, ESPECIALLY not bluetooth compatible with a phone, that blows my loving mind

Here's a picture of the external unit. The bottom half, below the line, is the battery; the processor itself is the small part attached to the hook. The microphones are on top of the processor, so they take in audio and it does...well, whatever, and sends it through the wire to the coil, which is held on with a magnet in the center and covered in small bumps all around the circumference which transmit the signals to all the poo poo inside my head, which converts the audio into electrical impulses which stimulate an electrode array that replaces the function of my now-useless cochlea and then passes those electrical signals on to the cochlea's hearing nerve and ultimately my brain.

I actually don't have the cover yet because it's not cheap (like $120 I think) and I won't need it until summer - I just got this model a couple of months ago - but I assume it just covers the entire unit, because the magnet is pretty strong. (I once stepped over the threshold onto the porch at a lovely house party in college and the dangling chain from the screen door pulled it right off my head, right in front of a group of very pretty girls.) Either that or the coil and wire are waterproof and the rest is covered.

The tech has come a long way. My first one in 1994 was the same size but was attached via a lengthy wire to an iPhone-sized processor which I had to wear in a pouch on my belt and was powered by regular double-A batteries. Very unwieldy. Every model since, and this is my fourth, has been strictly behind the ear and has become that much more advanced in quality and available options, as well as becoming thinner and lighter. There are all kinds of crazy compression and equalizer options available in this new one but I don't gently caress with any of them; they're largely useful for people who weren't as early adopters as I was, who need them more just to get by. It actually took five trips to the audiologist after I received the new model to get it sounding like I wanted, because they kept finding all these goofy compression settings buried in the software that were turned on by default and for which I have no use at all. They clipped everything really awfully and equalized it all towards the mid-range. Totally not what I want or need, since, like I said, I hear better with it than just about anybody else on the planet due to how young I was when I got it.

I typed all this while at a coffee shop listening to Jello Biafra's Last Scream of the Missing Neighbors at full volume in an otherwise silent (for me) coffee shop. :c00l:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

boner confessor posted:

human beings generally care for the health and welfare of their family members, despite illness and bad behavior

And they did care, which is why they took him to FIVE different mental health experts. So why is the question still "Why is he like this?" That question is pretty irrelevant at this point. Either they got a diagnosis they can't do anything with, or that he's unwilling to act on, or there is no diagnosis because he really is just that lazy. The question is, again: How do they salvage their lives and not go down with him?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dude needs some intensive in-patient therapy poo poo clearly.

He is probably diagnosed as "depressive anxiety disorder" or something which is vague as hell and not very helpful for most people who don't know what to then do about it and no poo poo he isn't interested in getting help bc he's obv very deep into it and probably doesn't think anything will help.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
if you lose your legs and your family refuses to care for you, that's lovely, because you're just the same old you except you don't have legs

if you lose your mind and your family refuses to care for you, it's lovely, but it's understandable, because you might be impossible to manage and a danger to the people around you

this guy isn't directly threatening from what we've been told but he doesn't care about the well-being of the people around him and he is introducing people to that environment who may be a danger to the family. There are children in the house, drugs are being used there and the guy is bringing over prostitutes and drug addicts. If things went really bad the state could take their kids from them. sometimes you just have to write somebody off.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Not /r/relationships obviously but other people need help too.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Pvt.Scott posted:

This is all pretty similar to poo poo I've done with my the rapists over the past fiveish years for bi-polar. I guess that makes sense, as Dick and Ball Torture was derived from Cock and Ball Torture. Lotta long hard work. Made me way less crazy, though.

Reading that wiki article, I wonder if my current the rapist isn't slippin' me a little D these days.

All I know is that my brother desperately needs to do this poo poo, but that I can't force him to do it. I get to watch his life explode over and over while I'm like "please, this thing might help some, maybe try a bit."

:Brother recovers enough and decides to be a "big boy" and take on everything all at once, yet again. Life explodes:

So did your phone autocorrect all that or what.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

So did your phone autocorrect all that or what.

I'll take "middle-brow middle-school joke" for $500, Alex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pick posted:

doesn't she think the pope is a lizard or some poo poo

Old but was he married to my ex wife too?