Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I can't believe I missed anti-education!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

AS A HOOSIER if I finally am freed from the horror of Gov Pence only to have to deal with President Pence creating taxpayer funded gay teen rape and suicide camps and fomenting HIV crises and all the rest of his stupid evangelical bullshit I will literally loving embrace madness

:same:

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

LGD posted:

Sadly no, I'm in the Pacific NW and my family is pretty much all on the coasts, so I have not spent any appreciable time in Chicago

Sad, place was on point. I'm a Seattle dude, not that great of dogs. Last gourmet sausage/dog place I went to up there was in south lake union. Had a polish. It was good, bun was ok, condiments decent, but it cost 8 bucks before tax. Wtf. Teriyaki, bah mi and pho for days though.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/847936938489327618

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

AS A HOOSIER if I finally am freed from the horror of Gov Pence only to have to deal with President Pence creating taxpayer funded gay teen rape and suicide camps and fomenting HIV crises and all the rest of his stupid evangelical bullshit I will literally loving embrace madness

Maybe Scott walker can be prez pences VIP I hope

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Grimdude posted:

After seeing this presidency, watching the spicy press briefings, and the all around madness: are there any Republicans in here that can explain WHY they still are? Or maybe, the reasons they'be been given? I'll elaborate, as to not sound too much like I'm just being snarky.

The US Republican party is largely the party of:
-anti LGBTQ
-anti minorities
-anti women's rights
-anti marijuana
-anti tax
-anti climate change
-anti government
-pro guns
-pro fiscal responsibility
-pro military

Now, I know there will be Republicans who are just because of The 2nd Amendment or at least claim that's the main reason. The common one I get when asking is the fiscal responsibility one, because Republicans consider themselves the adults in the room who just know best about finance and economics because reasons. It also implies that Democrats only EVER want to increase spending on everything and have no idea how to budget anything; look to which states usually take in more money than they contribute for why this is bullshit. Anti marijuana is hilarious because it's basically the same as pro Big Government, but only for issues they care about. Same with the military worship you see; how is an inflated military not the perfect example of Big Government?

What I'm getting at, is that representatives of the Republican Party by and large follow my list above when it comes to voting records and public stances on issues. So if you're a Republican, what the gently caress is the appeal? Do the (few) pros REALLY outweigh the laundry list of cons?

I'm trying to find reasons not to just write off every Republican I encounter as being a miserable human being. I do so because I have good friends who claim Republican status and HAVE to believe they aren't horrible racists, homophobes, misogynists, etc.

I mean ffs, it's actually the party of Donald loving Trump now. That's what the party stands for, that's what they nominated and voted for. No hiding anymore.

naw dude

republicans are literally trash people

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/NPMRP/status/847937823487479808

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hundreds of millions of years from now whatever strange creature humans have evolved into are having to leave earth as the suns expansion has made the planet uninhabitable

somewhere tucked away in the giant worldwide network populated by billions, perhaps trillions of minds that have been uploaded over the eons, one yells 'OBAMA :argh:'

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/847938629729218560

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Imagine being given a button that, if you press it, you get a grand but a good friend of yours dies of a treatable medical condition

Republicans are a self-selecting party of people who pressed that button as hard as they can

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

crazy cloud posted:

republicans are literally trash people

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Trump is so far up his own rear end he probably thinks Flynn with go up there and finger hillary clinton

gross

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Trump is so far up his own rear end he probably thinks Flynn with go up there and finger hillary clinton

block her up

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol he knows they pulled something

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Winkie01 posted:

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/847931935653494784/photo/1

It truly is amazing at the dumb poo poo fox puts out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG4p5U0WI-8

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
housing prices up ~50% and wages up ~20% over 8 years. this is cool and good and not at all a sign of declining purchasing power.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/847935290358591488

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-moderate-democrats-house-236608

quote:

“I mean, will they attract one or two Democrats on whatever piece of garbage they want to offer? Maybe,” said Rep. Jim Himes, chairman of the centrist New Democrat Coalition.

loving lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Grimdude posted:

After seeing this presidency, watching the spicy press briefings, and the all around madness: are there any Republicans in here that can explain WHY they still are? Or maybe, the reasons they'be been given? I'll elaborate, as to not sound too much like I'm just being snarky.

-anti LGBTQ
-anti minorities
-anti women's rights
-anti marijuana
-anti tax
-anti climate change
-anti government
-pro guns
-pro military

Now, I know there will be Republicans who are just because of The 2nd Amendment or at least claim that's the main reason. The common one I get when asking is the fiscal responsibility one, because Republicans consider themselves the adults in the room who just know best about finance and economics because reasons. It also implies that Democrats only EVER want to increase spending on everything and have no idea how to budget anything; look to which states usually take in more money than they contribute for why this is bullshit. Anti marijuana is hilarious because it's basically the same as pro Big Government, but only for issues they care about. Same with the military worship you see; how is an inflated military not the perfect example of Big Government?

What I'm getting at, is that representatives of the Republican Party by and large follow my list above when it comes to voting records and public stances on issues. So if you're a Republican, what the gently caress is the appeal? Do the (few) pros REALLY outweigh the laundry list of cons?

I'm trying to find reasons not to just write off every Republican I encounter as being a miserable human being. I do so because I have good friends who claim Republican status and HAVE to believe they aren't horrible racists, homophobes, misogynists, etc.

I mean ffs, it's actually the party of Donald loving Trump now. That's what the party stands for, that's what they nominated and voted for. No hiding anymore.

sir, this is an applebees bar to-go area. please finish your order

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I won't judge, maybe it was the monkey that was snoring.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

housing prices up ~50% and wages up ~20% over 8 years. this is cool and good and not at all a sign of declining purchasing power.

The housing prices being what they are is because boomers are sucking the wealth out of their own children to fund their lifestyles.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

holy poo poo :smith:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/847938940631998464

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Coolguye posted:

for about the 3rd time on this matter: this is not the way these testimonies work. there are two reasons why you would refuse to talk to a potential suspect like this: you haven't completed your investigation yet and you don't know what all you can find with good old fashioned police work, or you're pretty sure what you know and are convinced that the suspect can't get you any extra ammo for court.

confidential informers are the ones that cooperate with police, generate evidence, and then never have charges brought against them in the first place. individuals granted immunity are brought in to confirm what police already know and package it in such a way that they can get it into a courtroom and get a speedy conviction.

absolute most basic loving police work period is to get an affidavit of exactly what's going to be said on the stand and enter it into evidence prior to the testimony. if someone flips on the stand in that case, you immediately have them on everything that they're ostensibly getting immunity for, plus obstruction of justice, plus perjury.

there is a reason that in the decades-long history of police letting criminals off to get masterminds, not a single time has a criminal flipped back after the police have flipped them. you do not simply walk when you get immunity, there's Procedures with a big P.

sir this is an 84 lumber, do you want a gay marriage or not

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Does anyone else kind of hate Schiff? He has this extremely boring way of speaking that nullifies what should create outrage in the listener.

Whenever I hear him on NPR saying "oh hey Nunes is clearly a Russian plant sabotaging the investigation" with four paragraphs of lawyerese I just get depressed.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Epic High Five posted:

President Pence would bring back nationwide banning of alcohol sales on Sunday like he encouraged here

Ponder that for a minute won't you

well it's either that or keep the orange buffon in office so i guess we're hosed either way

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Omg it's hitting me again: Donald J Trump is the president of the United States of America

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

literally 'our rich people need to deal with more forms than others', they're better'.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kaedric posted:

Does anyone else kind of hate Schiff? He has this extremely boring way of speaking that nullifies what should create outrage in the listener.

Whenever I hear him on NPR saying "oh hey Nunes is clearly a Russian plant sabotaging the investigation" with four paragraphs of lawyerese I just get depressed.

naw, nobody but sad idiots like us listen to the actual pressers. He makes good headlines and that's 99% of the battle

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ICE is, and always has been, awful.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

quote:

Even though the briefing was focused on transparency, the White House asked that the two officers not be identified by name.

it's all smoke and mirrors folks and they cant even hide it

e:

quote:

Those running the briefing did make clear that they are beating the Obama administration on one measure of transparency: The Obama administration first released its reports on April 3, 2009, and the Trump administration is getting it done on March 31.

Both dates fell on the Friday of the 10th full week of each administration.

jesus christ everyone in the administration is petty as poo poo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Epic High Five posted:

Imagine being given a button that, if you press it, you get a grand but a good friend of yours dies of a treatable medical condition

Republicans are a self-selecting party of people who pressed that button as hard as they can

except pushing the button also gives you the same condition and the Republicans keep mashing it repeatedly to make more money

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Mayor Dave posted:

Omg it's hitting me again: Donald J Trump is the president of the United States of America

i'm imagining your face is a reflection of your av with this

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Grimdude posted:

-anti LGBTQ
-anti minorities
-anti women's rights
-anti marijuana
-anti tax
-anti climate change
-anti government
-pro guns
-pro military

It's basically 100% about abortion and LGBT rights. The 2nd Amendment fight is over and they know it; a guy walked into an elementary school and blew apart 20 six year olds and no laws changed, guns are here to stay.

They don't give a poo poo about "fiscal responsibility" beyond hollering about any amount of money going to anything except the military and farm/oil subsidies, and double the projected hollering if AM radio tells them the money helps lazy poor people.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Winkie01 posted:

Judging presidents' records based on their first two months after 8 years of a predecessor from the opposing party completely makes sense, because we all know the first 100 days matter so much that they outweight the rest of the eight. It makes perfect sense. After all, Republicans start out with terrific first quarters and terrible last quarters, so it must make sense.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ex post facho posted:

sir, this is an applebees bar to-go area. please finish your order

it's called applebee's carside to-go

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Winkie01 posted:

lmao yeeee

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

republicans are a bunch of people who are chasing a fantasy version of the past. they think we can return to the economic boom of the 50s and 60s by slashing taxes and social programs even though that was an era with much higher taxes and the proportionately largest increases in social program funding ever.

basically they are a bunch of people with a giant fixation on nostalgia for 'good ol' days' that never actually existed.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Winkie01 posted:

This is how morons like Bolling view the world. In quarters, absent any degree of context or long-term consideration. What are your quarterlies, motherfuckers????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

financially racist posted:

republicans are a bunch of people who are chasing a fantasy version of the past. they think we can return to the economic boom of the 50s and 60s by slashing taxes and social programs even though that was an era with much higher taxes and the proportionately largest increases in social program funding ever.

basically they are a bunch of people with a giant fixation on nostalgia for 'good ol' days' that never actually existed.

they want the other half of the 50's and 60's that aren't really talked about in school except for a quick blurb about non-violent protests

• Locked thread