Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The captive cable thing is hard as I know of no really good compliant USB C battery packs.

I have an Anker Astro E1 which is really pocketable and 5200mah. It charges my pixel at about 2A which isn't max charge rate, but decent enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RZA Encryption posted:

I am literally a paid shill

As long as you aren't in insurance, politics, lobbying, or banking, I think the guillotine can make an exception in this case.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

As long as you aren't in insurance, politics, lobbying, or banking, I think the guillotine can make an exception in this case.

No, nothing like that. It's phones. Don't buy Samsung.

Also (and this pays less so I don't care as much), if you're the kind of person that buys diapers, it would help me personally if you stayed away from store brand.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mister Macys posted:

I'm employed by a bank but in the part that reports people to the feds for trying to hide money do I get a pass?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RoanHorse posted:

Got a ZTE Axon 7 a week ago and everything was fine but now I can't install anything off Google Play. The progress bar just says 'waiting for network connection'.
I have it set so I can install/update apps without a wifi connection, and I've gone through the trouble of clearing all google play/gapps services and rebooting a couple times now.

Google only brings up the solutions that have failed me and none of them address this phone or the current version of Google Play Store if they are even within the last year.
I'm on T-Mobile if that is important.

So you haven't gotten access to WiFi to see if it kicks over and starts actually downloading said app?

I have this problem all the time when I am trying to actually setup a phone on LTE, even though I have unlimited data, it either will not let me get through the phone setup if I choose to Restore. (Will sit at the setting up data connection screen for literally ever) or if I am trying to update some apps, if I hit Update All, it will do some of the small ones, but get stuck on a large one until I stop it, and then manually hit update on it and OK the download over Cellular dialog box.

Its freaking irritating that there are no options to change this behavior and even though I don't have any metered data or any other limitation setup, Google feels the need to dictate when I can use my data when I tell it to actually use the Data. :argh:

What is really irritating now, is when you are tethering one device off another, it still freaking knows it is using Cellular and acts the same freaking way. My smartphones are trying to be all smart and doing stupid poo poo instead.

SO my question is, have you tried canceling any downloads you have pending (or at least cancel the one that is showing it's waiting for wifi) and start it again to see if it finally kicks in?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RoanHorse posted:

Alright the stackexchange thread has gotten substantitive updates that indicate that Nougat isn't playing nice with the latest google play version so short of reverting the whole phone you gotta uninstall updates for Google Play (regardless of the phone you're using).
This works but I can't force it to not auto update Google Play, just the apps served by Google Play. Does anyone know where I force Google Play to stop updating? I can only find extremely outdated reference screenshots that are not representative of the current or rolledback versions of Google Play.

Also does anyone know what those 'physical buttons' you can stick to capacitative screens are? The placement of the homebutton and drawers/back are loving killing me on this thing.

You cannot be on an old version of the Play Store. It will auto update as soon as it has a connection to Google no matter what.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Okay so I'm just waiting for Google to fix their poo poo and get a version of Nougat or the Play Store out that isn't hosed up.
I am on Wi-Fi. According to StackExchange users the issue is with Nougat's download manager having a different definition for it's internet connections than the most up to date publicly available version of Google Play Store. Apps update just fine but if you try to install things the Play Store asks the download manager for your connection status and receives a definition that it does not have an equivalent to. This happens on 4G/LTE connections as well as 2.4ghz/5ghz band wifi connections.

Also a small clarification, the navigation button positions are 'killing me' at night and the only viable alternatives in phone models on the market at the moment are: onscreen buttons which will literally kill me; going back to the Samsung ecosystem which I do not want to do; or lit navigation which will make me go loving blind.

Does anyone know what search terms will bring up the adhesive/suction-cupped raised buttons that you can stick to a screen to make capacitative buttons have a physical presence and require a deliberate press?

Edit: also as long as I queue up installations of new apps immediately after resetting the Google Play Store it will download and install them. The problem arises again when it updates itself afterwards. This isn't a deal-breaker for me at the 400$ pricepoint because I rarely install new apps and my old phones had much worse issues.

RoanHorse fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 31, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RoanHorse posted:

Edit: also as long as I queue up installations of new apps immediately after resetting the Google Play Store it will download and install them. The problem arises again when it updates itself afterwards. This isn't a deal-breaker for me at the 400$ pricepoint because I rarely install new apps and my old phones had much worse issues.

Just think for only negative $100 more you could've bought a Moto G4 or G5 that would be better in every way and also actually work.

"But that cheaper phone had on screen buttons!"

Thanks for reminding the thread about why the midrange exists.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RoanHorse posted:

Also a small clarification, the navigation button positions are 'killing me' at night and the only viable alternatives in phone models on the market at the moment are: onscreen buttons which will literally kill me; going back to the Samsung ecosystem which I do not want to do; or lit navigation which will make me go loving blind.

Does anyone know what search terms will bring up the adhesive/suction-cupped raised buttons that you can stick to a screen to make capacitative buttons have a physical presence and require a deliberate press?
This is the goony gooniest goon poo poo I've ever seen in the Android thread, and that's saying something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You have to root the S8 to enable Daydream support.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

You have to root the S8 to enable Daydream support.

sarnsung.txt

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I'm employed by a bank but in the part that reports people to the feds for trying to hide money do I get a pass?

Sorry bro, no exceptions.

*Inserts Bruce Wayne/Dick Cheney line about how a 1% possibility of corruption due to the money at stake needs to be treated as a 100% probability*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Meh who cares, the daydream viewer sucks compared to the Gear VR and why the gently caress is the Pixel XL so god drat blurry compared to my Note 7 in VR use?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Just think for only negative $100 more you could've bought a Moto G4 or G5 that would be better in every way and also actually work.

In all reality, the Axon 7 is a nice phone from a few owners and the overall design is beautiful. Literally what should have come from HTC.

However his issues appear deeper than just Google Play/ZTE itself.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

LastInLine posted:

I have an Axon 7 and I'm not having that problem, it's just his phone

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RoanHorse posted:

Okay so I'm just waiting for Google to fix their poo poo and get a version of Nougat or the Play Store out that isn't hosed up.

There are definitely phones on Nougat for which this isn't a problem. Google doesn't deliver updates to ZTE phones, that's on ZTE to do competently and promptly. That's an important part of what you're buying into when you buy a phone. Looks like an absolute inability to download apps while on cellular data and roaming might be a Nougat issue, though. I don't think that's what you're describing though, right? The thing I see that seems to match your issue is just people with ZTE and Xiaomi phones, and, well, that's a problem with your phone's software, not Google.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

RoanHorse posted:

Also a small clarification, the navigation button positions are 'killing me' at night and the only viable alternatives in phone models on the market at the moment are: onscreen buttons which will literally kill me; going back to the Samsung ecosystem which I do not want to do; or lit navigation which will make me go loving blind.new apps and my old phones had much worse issues.

Remap hardware buttons.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Meh who cares, the daydream viewer sucks compared to the Gear VR and why the gently caress is the Pixel XL so god drat blurry compared to my Note 7 in VR use?

Those advanced fire effects you're seeing? Not part of the VR.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

When I go to take a screenshot on my Pixel, it'll show the animation of capturing the screen and sort of "shrinking" into the background like normal, but it doesn't actually show what was on my screen, it's just transparent, and no screenshot actually gets saved.

Second time this has happened so far in like a week. Restarting usually fixes it right away, but does anyone know what's going on here?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

nimper posted:

This is the goony gooniest goon poo poo I've ever seen in the Android thread, and that's saying something.

Nope, there was 'my volume buttons aren't clicky enough even after I returned the phone 3 times' guy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

For the record, I just installed an app while on mobile data on my Nexus 6 running 7.something so it's definitely not a universal Nougat issue.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Just got the Moto G5 Plus and its cool and good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Peachfart posted:

Nope, there was 'my volume buttons aren't clicky enough even after I returned the phone 3 times' guy.

Yeah but this guy is saying he needs to put tits on his phone

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Peachfart posted:

At least that guy had the presence of mind to return his "defective" phone

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

A necessary innovation

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I encrypted my phone a few weeks ago, and things were fine. It used to ask me for my pincode when I turned the phone on before it finished the boot process. I just noticed this doesn't happen anymore; now it just boots straight up. The phone says it's still encrypted when I go into the settings. Moto X Pure running the stock 6.0 OS.

Any ideas?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Ahh, the Skyrim Edition.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RoanHorse posted:

It's not Google, it's ZTE, and it's because you got a poo poo phone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Cortana is a Windows Phone feature though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mister Macys posted:

Cortana is a Windows Phone feature though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.cortana

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I encrypted my phone a few weeks ago, and things were fine. It used to ask me for my pincode when I turned the phone on before it finished the boot process. I just noticed this doesn't happen anymore; now it just boots straight up. The phone says it's still encrypted when I go into the settings. Moto X Pure running the stock 6.0 OS.

Any ideas?
Didn't Google figure out a method of booting before needing to decrypt? My pixel doesn't need a pin until it's fully booted and ready to go.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That was added in 7.1.0.

It is possible to turn off the boot pin on the Moto X though, I just can't remember where it is.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ShoogaSlim posted:

When I go to take a screenshot on my Pixel, it'll show the animation of capturing the screen and sort of "shrinking" into the background like normal, but it doesn't actually show what was on my screen, it's just transparent, and no screenshot actually gets saved.

Second time this has happened so far in like a week. Restarting usually fixes it right away, but does anyone know what's going on here?
Are you using Twilight or another app that uses screen overlays?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SORRY EH

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

datajosh posted:

Are you using Twilight or another app that uses screen overlays?

Appreciate the attempt. I'm not using that nor do I know what it even is :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ilkhan posted:

Didn't Google figure out a method of booting before needing to decrypt? My pixel doesn't need a pin until it's fully booted and ready to go.

Turns out that turning on any accessibility services, like the lastpass auto fill for example, is what does this. Thanks Google!!!! Hooray for android!!!

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not Google, it's ZTE, and it's because you got a poo poo phone.

Hey friend Google just updated the play store app to fix this this so uh

I found out why nobody makes the thing I was describing (the screen norks I guess). Apple patented the idea after companies like steelseries started making actual money off of them back in 2013. There are extremely cheap buy-it-now offering for them on EBay (presumably the suction cups don't work so great after a while so I'm buying a couple for less than 20$).
Actual click-in navigation keys only ever appear on phones I would either never want, or on midcycle flagship variants like the active Samsung phones.
I would totally send back in a phone if I had a burner or some poo poo so I wouldn't be indisposed.

RoanHorse fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 1, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RoanHorse posted:

Actual click-in navigation keys only ever appear on phones I would ... never want

Yeah they appear on phones no one would ever want.

It's one of the best ways to know whether to just disregard the phone outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love how the country warning is green, as in THANK GOD.