Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

The thing I wasn't aware of is the noise when a gold/silver/iridium visor gets struck, it's so different to a clear/tinted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nsaP posted:

I don't think the new AI mod ever comes here. If people refrain from the report buttan we should become self-governing.

Pretty sure he has a bike in his shop but it might belong to his roomiewife.

Gold visor chat: how baller does a gold visor look on a white helmet?

Edit: GIS doesn't have a lot of examples but I think this is an excellent idea.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 30, 2017

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Any kind of reflective visor is a waste IMO. I was very careful with mine and just from normal riding it was scratched and worn off in less than 2 month.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

you'll look like a Lego Man and that is a-ok. I have a blue mirrored visor on my white RF-1100.

nsaP posted:

Any kind of reflective visor is a waste IMO. I was very careful with mine and just from normal riding it was scratched and worn off in less than 2 month.
Dang. I've had mine for like 3 years and 10k+ miles and it's mildly scratched but otherwise fine. :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Beach Bum posted:

My helmet has a sicknasty Icon graphic, but white with a gold visor looks baller as hell, G.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nsaP posted:

I think that might boil down to what brand you have.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
$70 for a dark visor... Or $170 for a transition visor...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

its all nice on rice posted:

I think that might boil down to what brand you have.

Mine was an HJC so you're probably right, I'm sure there are better ones. I was just real careful never to touch it and just the wind or dust or whatever from riding had it fading out real quick.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I gave up on anything other than clear visor plus sunglasses. Although sometimes when you pull off for a stretch you lose your sunglasses forever and ride home blind.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got a flip down internal sun visor in mine because I'm that cool.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ilkhan posted:

$70 for a dark visor... Or $170 for a transition visor...

Get the transition. Seriously. I've got a clear and dark visor and wish I'd just bought the transition. You just throw the pinlock that came with the helmet into the new visor, too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

its all nice on rice posted:

Get the transition. Seriously. I've got a clear and dark visor and wish I'd just bought the transition. You just throw the pinlock that came with the helmet into the new visor, too.
Well I do have $55 of revzilla credit now. :) Just wonder if it gets dark enough on its own.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not as dark as dark smoke but still pretty good tint.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hello, I would like to buy this $600 dollar helmet. Also, I am going to mash in the EPS liner when I get home so it better fits my head. :downs:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

I had an AFX with a mirror visor that lasted a couple years in decent shape. Small bits of the reflective flaking off, not very noticeable.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My scorpion reflective visor was fine on the outside, save for a few scrapes from me hitting my head on doorways. The inside of it though very rapidly went to poo poo. It looked like I took steel wool to it. I don't know what the hell happened, I'm fairly positive it was a manufacturing defect.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Finger Prince posted:

:hfive: They're good poo poo yo.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

It's nice to go on rides and not have to worry about sunsets or shady areas anymore. Sunglasses in helmets suck, and tinted visors are only fun if it's bright out.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Yerok posted:

Everything is always broken, and if it's not broken it's too loving slow.
Something on my exhaust has come a tad loose, but it sounds really cool so I count this as a win

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

It's nice to go on rides and not have to worry about sunsets or shady areas anymore. Sunglasses in helmets suck, and tinted visors are only fun if it's bright out.

Hence he transitions visor

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm not paying transition visor prices for something that is a wear item and can be taken out by a frequent rock. I hate it enough when a $30 visor get's dinged, let alone one that costs $170.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Finger Prince posted:

I don't think I'll own another helmet without one. I'm a glasses wearer and do have prescription sunglasses but the flip down sun visor works out way better.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Finger Prince posted:

I have a flip-down external visor because Arai :smug:

My first helmet with an attached sun visor. I wish it were darker and being exposed means it gets filthy. So then you have two layers of dirty visor, which is not ideal. (I know I should just clean them more but this is Seattle and it rains forever and everything is dirty)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Coydog posted:

Weird, my Arais have had dark smoke, and unless it's 6:30am I don't even bother swapping in the clear visor. I think personal eye condition plays a big factor.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I have a flip-down external visor because Arai :smug:

My first helmet with an attached sun visor. I wish it were darker and being exposed means it gets filthy. So then you have two layers of dirty visor, which is not ideal. (I know I should just clean them more but this is Seattle and it rains forever and everything is dirty)

What is this bizarro garbage design?!

revmoo posted:

Weird, my Arais have had dark smoke, and unless it's 6:30am I don't even bother swapping in the clear visor. I think personal eye condition plays a big factor.

Eh, riding home at 10pm with a tinted visor is terrifying to me, since you really can't see as well as you think you can. Maybe you are an owl, or something.

edit: I do miss how awesome a full mirrored visor was. Looked great, and intimidates everyone.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

bigbillystyle posted:

I don't think I'll own another helmet without one. I'm a glasses wearer and do have prescription sunglasses but the flip down sun visor works out way better.

Having them laser that poo poo right out is still one of the better decisions I've made, for motorcycles and life in general.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

What is this bizarro garbage design?!

Eh, riding home at 10pm with a tinted visor is terrifying to me, since you really can't see as well as you think you can. Maybe you are an owl, or something.

edit: I do miss how awesome a full mirrored visor was. Looked great, and intimidates everyone.

Apparently they won't put in an internal sun visor because it keeps them from getting Snell certification

quick change of subject: you guys in ATL are screwed, part of I-85 collapsed: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-atlanta-highway-idUSKBN1713CT

"Man, Atlanta traffic can't get any worse" "Oh, really?" :smug:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'm debating constructing a ramp

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
me: Hahah wow 85 just collapsed. So glad we aren't out in THAT. Poor bastards in traffic.

roomate: That's probably going to take them 40 forevers to fix.

me: Oh, I didn't think of that... :(

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Revvik posted:

Having them laser that poo poo right out is still one of the better decisions I've made, for motorcycles and life in general.

Someday I will do this but isn't like $2K per eyeball? That's a little out of my reach.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah it ended up around $4300 total. Buy a gun. Sell a kidney. Petition for insurance companies to cover this because it fixes a goddamn disability.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I got my eyes lasered about 8 years ago for around $3500. I was blind as a bat and had/have a slight astigmatism. Best money I've ever spent.

You can take money out of your paycheck pre-tax to put it in a flex spending healthcare account and use that to pay for lasik. That may make it a bit more affordable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

I have a white helmet and a gold mirrored visor and it looks exactly as baller as you think.

this would be my ideal

but what i got is pretty close, at least until they make helmets with a full bubble shield

e: and yeah it has a couple of scratches on it but nothing really serious or anything noticeable from inside and I've had it over a year. Get the real (expensive) deal, not a knockoff, and the coating is much more durable

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What colour is it from the inside? Just dark smoke?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not as dark as you'd think. Light-to-medium smoke, with a noticeable blue tone (because it selectively reflects away the yellow light, you see).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Blech, no thanks. Not my colour, blue does my nut in.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the internal sun visor on the Neotec has a very slight brown cast to it. Not the deep sepia of my favourite shades, but enough to notice that it's definitely not blue or straight black/grey.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Apparently they won't put in an internal sun visor because it keeps them from getting Snell certification

quick change of subject: you guys in ATL are screwed, part of I-85 collapsed: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-atlanta-highway-idUSKBN1713CT

"Man, Atlanta traffic can't get any worse" "Oh, really?" :smug:

quote:

snarled traffic for miles (km).

Well thanks for the conversion.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

I got my eyes lasered about 8 years ago for around $3500. I was blind as a bat and had/have a slight astigmatism. Best money I've ever spent.

You can take money out of your paycheck pre-tax to put it in a flex spending healthcare account and use that to pay for lasik. That may make it a bit more affordable.

Oh poo poo, thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that flex spending stuff to save up for it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

bigbillystyle posted:

Oh poo poo, thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that flex spending stuff to save up for it.

just remember that you have to use whatever you put in that flex spending account in that year or you get taxed on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Super Slash posted:

Something on my exhaust has come a tad loose, but it sounds really cool so I count this as a win

I put some 2" spacers in my garbage XR200R's forks and it rips on the mini track now. Sounds like we both won one