Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Depending on the last time the official IQ scale was recalibrated, IQ 100 could be as low as, horrors, the 45th percentile! Ish? I know it creeps up by about five points a decade or something like that.

The decade I was born it went up by 10 points. I'm just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

trucutru posted:

The decade I was born it went up by 10 points. I'm just saying.

It's impressive that they managed to do that with you in the sample

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sarehu posted:

I didn't want to discuss it, but we had people pretending out loud that the number of engineers of each race must naturally be proportionate to the population of each race. It's wishful thinking, totally delusional.

so you decided to set us straight by arguing that american black people are genetically inferior due to slavery-related interbreeding

I guess you meant well then, no harm no foul!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

skull mask mcgee posted:

It's impressive that they managed to do that with you in the sample

I know! They truly tried to keep it down.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hi5 to all of us that had good breeding

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

sarehu posted:

I didn't want to discuss it, but we had people pretending out loud that the number of engineers of each race must naturally be proportionate to the population of each race. It's wishful thinking, totally delusional.

Source your quotes.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Condiv posted:

genetics don't work like this

hell, intelligence doesn't work like this
Well the person has an anime avatar. Which of course indicates either a failure to properly develop or a pedophilic attraction to young things. This is of course just simple science and proof that they should not be allowed to breed as the mental deficiencies that lead one to become an anime fan are heritable.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Anthony Levandowski, late of Uber and before that Google, just took the Fifth. Why?

quote:

An Uber executive accused of stealing driverless car technology from his former employers at Google is exercising his Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination, according to his lawyers.

The lawyers for Anthony Levandowski, the former head of Google’s self-driving car project who is now leading a similar effort at Uber, said he was broadly asserting his Fifth Amendment rights because there was “potential for criminal action” in the case, according to court transcripts obtained on Thursday.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Because he is smart and doesn't want to give anything away for free.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dmitri-9 posted:

Because he is smart and doesn't want to give anything away for free.

If you're good at snitching, never do it for free.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/jennschiffer/status/847504279694753792

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 31, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

... because the high-paying jobs contribute to conditions that make it impossible for the middle and working classes to find housing.
Not wrong, but assuming that we think high paying jobs are in and of themselves generally good, the real problem are NIMBY zoning regulations preventing the creation of sufficient housing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cicero posted:

Not wrong, but assuming that we think high paying jobs are in and of themselves generally good, the real problem are NIMBY zoning regulations preventing the creation of sufficient housing.
Absolutely, coupled with very limited land and a strong preference for single-family homes. Even Boston-style triple deckers would make a big difference.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
But if we let people replace the lovely 1950s starter homes that make up 90% of mountain view or whatever, it might hurt my property values. :ohdear:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sellers help determine prices. If the owners of Bay Area property sold for 50% less, that's what housing would cost. But it's the buyers who are vilified.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Sellers help determine prices. If the owners of Bay Area property sold for 50% less, that's what housing would cost. But it's the buyers who are vilified.
I've seen plenty of trash talk against NIMBY homeowners lobbying and voting to protect their property value.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Steve Jorbs posted:

I've seen plenty of trash talk against NIMBY homeowners lobbying and voting to protect their property value.
I'm on Nextdoor (very handy for giving away and grabbing furniture), and I saw somebody actually complaining that renters were inherently less moral than owners. There's a lot of NIMBY protest against any kind of dense housing.

Best Uber story yet

quote:

Iconic symbols of old and new San Francisco collided at an intersection near Union Square when a cable car and a Tesla four-door sedan crashed into each other Thursday afternoon, officials said.

Though there were passengers on the Powell/Mason cable car just before 5 p.m. when the wreck occurred at Powell and Sutter streets, no injuries were reported, said Paul Rose, a spokesman for the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.

It wasn’t immediately clear who was at fault, the gripman of the iconic cable car or the driver of state-of-the-art electric Tesla.
I blame Kalanick.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Absolutely, coupled with very limited land and a strong preference for single-family homes. Even Boston-style triple deckers would make a big difference.

Don't forget AirBNB turning all of the non SFHs (and a lot of the SFHs as well) into short term rentals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pr0zac posted:

Don't forget AirBNB turning all of the non SFHs (and a lot of the SFHs as well) into short term rentals.

get out of here

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Subjunctive posted:

If the owners of Bay Area property sold for 50% less, the housing would still cost the same because people would buy it for 50% less and immediately resell it at full price.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jethro posted:

If the owners of Bay Area property sold for 50% less, the housing would still cost the same because people would buy it for 50% less and immediately resell it at full price.

What's full price?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

What's full price?

Duck! Incoming!

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Subjunctive posted:

What's full price?
The price that enough buyers are currently willing/able to pay.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Airbnb has absolutely had an effect on the housing market. Here in LA studio apartments with full kitchens have all but vanished - every single one of them is a short-term rental now. I've been living here for a few years and the difference in options when I first moved here to now is staggering. Thousands of apartments have permanently vanished, and what few studios remain are either kitchenless "efficiencies" or cost as much as a two-bedroom apartment did when I first got here. It's untenable.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Duck! Incoming!

Wait, I can buy property in ducks? How many ducks? And do they have to be alive?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Airbnb has absolutely had an effect on the housing market. Here in LA studio apartments with full kitchens have all but vanished - every single one of them is a short-term rental now. I've been living here for a few years and the difference in options when I first moved here to now is staggering. Thousands of apartments have permanently vanished, and what few studios remain are either kitchenless "efficiencies" or cost as much as a two-bedroom apartment did when I first got here. It's untenable.

Some of that is just Southern California in general. Here in Irvine, prices have been going up by ~$100/month/year for 1-2 bedroom apartments. We do have the Irvine company around to manage most apartments though, so that does skew things.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah it's hard to say how much airbnb antagonizes an overheated market but it's sure not helping in any way

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

It's pretty depressing how much they're loving over people. Dublin has a serious housing crisis at the moment, and the main rental website has 600~ properties affordable to the average wage while Airbnb has 300~. I've heard plenty of people with rental properties say they're turning or already turned to Airbnb to avoid the hassle involved with tenants, the biggest hassle cited being tenants going into arrears. A few years back the reason people were turning to Airbnb was because they could quadruple their rental income and avoid the tax man if they wished, technically now they're supposed to follow zoning and tax regulations but haven't heard much about people being made compliant.

I make a very decent wage myself but had to relocate out of the city because I've a child and the only option in Dublin was pinching every penny to fit the 3 of us in a 1 bedroom apartment or move to the country where I could afford house and also have money left over at the end of the month. I will probably have to return to Dublin and eat the losses of supporting a family in a overcrowded rental market, I had forgotten how non-progessive the rest of the country can be, and my non-national partner has not adjusted to living outside of the capital.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you can stick it out in the sticks you'll probably have more company by the day, at least.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Been in Queenstown New Zealand for the last 3 days and have had two locals complain to me about all the rentals being turned into AirBNBs making it impossible for the people who work for all the tourism industries to afford to live here. They both took some humour from the fact that AirBNB is wrecking AirBNB's home city as well.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We should start doing what the UAE did with their islands of the world thing... build straight out from ocean beach, sorted.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Switzerland posted:

We should start doing what the UAE did with their islands of the world thing... build straight out from ocean beach, sorted.

The california coast hates everyone and will crush your poo poo to sand.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dirk the Average posted:

Some of that is just Southern California in general. Here in Irvine, prices have been going up by ~$100/month/year for 1-2 bedroom apartments. We do have the Irvine company around to manage most apartments though, so that does skew things.

I don't blame Airbnb for the prices so much as the shrinking options. If you want a studio apartment in Los Angeles you just plain can't get one now, and that's bad for the city.

pangstrom posted:

If you can stick it out in the sticks you'll probably have more company by the day, at least.

Even if you're willing to make sacrifices to make it work, the rest of the world might not let you. Not that everything's about LA, but since it's the city I know best: It's already common to have a 90-minute commute now, and I went on a lot of job interviews this year and about two-thirds of them demanded to know where I lived and rejected me immediately if they thought I lived too far away, which was usually defined as more than a 30-minute commute. Employers cluster together in high-rent areas, which is always kind of a chicken/egg thing in any city but LA has some extreme situations like Beverly Hills, where it's not amenities driving the price up so much as the zip code. The same problem exists with rent prices - even if you were willing to devote 50% or more of your income to rent, landlords here now typically ask for proof of three to four times the rent price in monthly income.

We are careening towards a low and middle-wage employment crisis, with no workers able to live within commuting distance of jobs that pay so little, and the robots are not going to save us in time.

Switzerland posted:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

I don't blame Airbnb for the prices so much as the shrinking options. If you want a studio apartment in Los Angeles you just plain can't get one now, and that's bad for the city.

Even if you're willing to make sacrifices to make it work, the rest of the world might not let you. Not that everything's about LA, but since it's the city I know best: It's already common to have a 90-minute commute now, and I went on a lot of job interviews this year and about two-thirds of them demanded to know where I lived and rejected me immediately if they thought I lived too far away, which was usually defined as more than a 30-minute commute. Employers cluster together in high-rent areas, which is always kind of a chicken/egg thing in any city but LA has some extreme situations like Beverly Hills, where it's not amenities driving the price up so much as the zip code. The same problem exists with rent prices - even if you were willing to devote 50% or more of your income to rent, landlords here now typically ask for proof of three to four times the rent price in monthly income.

We are careening towards a low and middle-wage employment crisis, with no workers able to live within commuting distance of jobs that pay so little, and the robots are not going to save us in time.

It is pretty fashionable to hate on LA traffic, but I might hate the housing and job markets more.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think LA is the designated target for traffic because people want to feel like their differently crappy roads are better than someone else's.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I think LA is the designated target for traffic because people want to feel like their differently crappy roads are better than someone else's.

As someone who lives just south of LA, I refuse to drive north. OC traffic is bad enough; LA is just brutal.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
New rent-bidding site Rentberry will be grafting from both tenants and landlords based on market demand for housing.

"For now, Rentberry charges users a $25 fee, but in the future, it plans to charge 25 percent of the difference between the asking price and the agreed upon rent. Whoever received the better deal pays the fee—every month."

http://gizmodo.com/bidding-website-rentberry-may-be-the-startup-of-your-ni-1793940693

I can see landlords placing bids on their own properties until they meet the asking price then re-listing the property elsewhere. Or just increasing asking prices to an incredible amount in places with high demand and just let potential tenants fight it out and pay rentberry the 25% difference in asking fee. That fee (25% of the difference for the duration of the rental agreement) is outrageous.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Whooping Crabs posted:

New rent-bidding site Rentberry will be grafting from both tenants and landlords based on market demand for housing.

"For now, Rentberry charges users a $25 fee, but in the future, it plans to charge 25 percent of the difference between the asking price and the agreed upon rent. Whoever received the better deal pays the fee—every month."

http://gizmodo.com/bidding-website-rentberry-may-be-the-startup-of-your-ni-1793940693

I can see landlords placing bids on their own properties until they meet the asking price then re-listing the property elsewhere. Or just increasing asking prices to an incredible amount in places with high demand and just let potential tenants fight it out and pay rentberry the 25% difference in asking fee. That fee (25% of the difference for the duration of the rental agreement) is outrageous.

I can't see any way for this NOT to be exploited

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Market with information problems? Let's add more information problems!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i dont understand rentberry's business model. there's already tons of real estate listing sites out there, but they're going to make one where prices are more expensive to the renter? and as a renter i want to use this... why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

WrenP-Complete posted:

Market with information problems? Let's add more information problems!

Market with rent-seeking problems? Let's add more rent-seeking!

Edit: This is not technically the best use of the phrase but gently caress it, you get the idea. Even Adam Smith thought rent was The Worst as far as the general economic welfare goes.