Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

balways baquire bWEAPONS, armor is for nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
It looks like you used only two of the scrolls on armour, son. Big mistake.

Sure you got two lovely pieces of armour but those other ones would be +16 Crystal Plate (+8 Slay, rF+++, rC+, Int -3) I'm sure of it!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

tote up a bags posted:

balways baquire bWEAPONS, armor is for nerds

I've seen a couple people hit "a" (weapon) after they asked chat and someone said "AAA Always Acquire Armor!!!" Oops, DEFE with no weapon skill gets a bardiche...

Now I say "be bashing b!!!"

In other news, when you get petrified by a basilisk on an uncleared Lair 6 reflexively using a teleport scroll might not be your best option:

(and I'm on a streak too goddamit)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Barmour is bad universal advice imo because weapon acquirement represents a massive power increase for an early-mid character. Going from an unenchanted mid-tier weapon to a branded top tier weapon (or even the second-best option) is a huge deal. If you don't have a high quality weapon you Always Acquire Armaments. Barmour is for when you don't have anything important to get and want decent odds at increased AC/stats/resists, and you get jewellery when armour is less likely to be an improvement.

With wand and rid cuts I kinda wish you could acquire potions, and receive a stack of potions weighted towards the good ones like HW/Haste/Resist etc.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Yeah acquirement is a lot less interesting now that rods and wands are not really worth considering.

E: not at all in the case of rods :v:

apple fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 31, 2017

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

redneck nazgul posted:

There was an old Ashenzari tiny-vault that came with a spellbook containing Animate Skeleton just so that you could harvest chunks from corpses. :3:

Oh my god i remember finding that vault + book but i never realized that was why.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How many AUTs does spell casting take? 10? I'm trying to do some back of the envelope math on some spells vs tabbing for some hybrids.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Yeah, all spells take 10 auts to cast.

code:
hotm the Sharpshooter (Hill Orc Transmuter)        Turns: 67605, Time: 02:55:49

Health: 195/195    AC: 39    Str: 18    XL:     22   Next: 56%
Magic:  34/34      EV: 14    Int: 22    God:    Elyvilon [*****.]
Gold:   747        SH:  0    Dex: 17    Spells: 5/33 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .   b - +7 arbalest {speed, rPois rF++}
rCold    . . .     Gourm    .   B - +8 plate armour of Unreason {rF++ Str-2}
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rPois    +         Spirit   +   z - +1 helmet of the Dice {MR++ Dex+6}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   l - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   j - +2 pair of gloves
MR       ++++.                  w - +2 pair of boots
Stlth    ..........             C - amulet "Dyafy" {Spirit +Inv rElec rF++ rN+}
Regen    0.5/turn               N - +5 ring of slaying
MPRegen  0.3/turn               P - ring "Qoevac" {rN+ Int+6}

@: no status effects
A: fire resistance 1
}: 2/15 runes: barnacled, gossamer
a: Lesser Healing, Heal Other, Purification, Greater Healing, Divine Vigour,
Divine Protection, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility

b - the +7 arbalest of Tiefuop (weapon) {speed, rPois rF++}
   (You found it on level 10 of the Dungeon)
You are being very silly, Crawl.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Arcturas posted:

How many AUTs does spell casting take? 10? I'm trying to do some back of the envelope math on some spells vs tabbing for some hybrids.

Yes, it's a normal full turn action. Unless you're Slow or in Statue Form, it will be 10 auts (or reported as 1.0 in-game).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Yeah, all spells take 10 auts to cast.

code:
hotm the Sharpshooter (Hill Orc Transmuter)        Turns: 67605, Time: 02:55:49

Health: 195/195    AC: 39    Str: 18    XL:     22   Next: 56%
Magic:  34/34      EV: 14    Int: 22    God:    Elyvilon [*****.]
Gold:   747        SH:  0    Dex: 17    Spells: 5/33 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .   b - +7 arbalest {speed, rPois rF++}
rCold    . . .     Gourm    .   B - +8 plate armour of Unreason {rF++ Str-2}
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rPois    +         Spirit   +   z - +1 helmet of the Dice {MR++ Dex+6}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   l - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   j - +2 pair of gloves
MR       ++++.                  w - +2 pair of boots
Stlth    ..........             C - amulet "Dyafy" {Spirit +Inv rElec rF++ rN+}
Regen    0.5/turn               N - +5 ring of slaying
MPRegen  0.3/turn               P - ring "Qoevac" {rN+ Int+6}

@: no status effects
A: fire resistance 1
}: 2/15 runes: barnacled, gossamer
a: Lesser Healing, Heal Other, Purification, Greater Healing, Divine Vigour,
Divine Protection, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility

b - the +7 arbalest of Tiefuop (weapon) {speed, rPois rF++}
   (You found it on level 10 of the Dungeon)
You are being very silly, Crawl.

It's just making sure you are prepared for the new monster in Zot, the Orb of Orbs of Fire.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

It's just making sure you are prepared for the new monster in Zot, the Orb of Orbs of Fire.

I was watching Mekire play Fo and here was his entry into Zot 1. He's sitting on the gate in:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Araganzar posted:

I was watching Mekire play Fo and here was his entry into Zot 1. He's sitting on the gate in:

I think those orbs of fire are leaking.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

I think those orbs of fire are leaking.

They pissed their pants when they saw he was carrying silver javs...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Araganzar posted:

I'd say "read a scroll of teleport", except...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I still hate that OoFs have small body size but a huge graphic. Make up your mind!!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OoFs have small body size

WHAT?! I'll take obscure poo poo not communicated to the player for 600, Alex. God, and I've been playing this game since .5 ...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Serephina posted:

WHAT?! I'll take obscure poo poo not communicated to the player for 600, Alex. God, and I've been playing this game since .5 ...

They're lightweight because they're made of fire.

But yeah they're actually Little, the same size as spriggans.

Edit: So are wretched stars (as were silver stars, when they existed), which is another one I always thought were bigger. And queen bees, despite their sprite size.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 31, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
monster size is kind of a mess as far as mechanics go, as are small player race handedness rules

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Monster size usually only concerns me for three things: throwing nets, water wading and constriction. Those are pretty niche cases so it's not that big a deal.

Remembering which non-ghost enemies are incorporeal is tricker.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They're all niche, but they still matter in some situations.

It's not as bad as it used to be though, but like... giant sounds the biggest, but which is larger, big or large? Which is smaller, small or tiny or little? Which of those, if you were asked unspoiled, would you think can't be constricted/netted(if you even knew size affected that)?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
This game is difficult & unapproachable

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't realize monster size was a thing that existed

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I imagine it's related to them being a * in console.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
The monk change is cool, in my opinion

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Araganzar posted:

He's fine, there's a wall right there he can tunnel a murderhole into.

Shame about all the muts he's going to pick up, though.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Samog posted:

The monk change is cool, in my opinion

I tried this class out. You start with a robe, no weapon, and no other armor slots which means you are more likely than any other start to die on D1.

I don't understand the point of bragging about how many "skill points" monks get when 4 go into Dodging which is not worth a lot early and another 4 of them go into frigging Stealth. Maybe if 4 went into Armor. Even Invo would be less often wasted and more thematic.

So you basically get a couple extra Fighting, and in return you start in a paper sack with nothing that can kill anything. I like the idea thematically but it's like some buff dude heard a noise and went out in the middle of the night in his bathrobe and fell into a sinkhole into the dungeon. I bet even then he'd have grabbed a softball bat or a golf club or something.

Dev has the audacity to call this a "buff" because within 30 turns "you can pick up any weapon". Yes and you enjoy it until you die on D2 to an adder or gnoll. And lack of weapon diversity in early D is likely to limit your weapon choices.

It's not a bad choice for stabbers as you will find a dagger and a short blade early, and likely an ego one. Also not bad if you don't mind splatting 4 or 5 guys getting one to temple for that sweet piety bonus.

In summation I guess my proposal is Mo should start with a flashlight and a golf club.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Carcer posted:

He's fine, there's a wall right there he can tunnel a murderhole into.

Shame about all the muts he's going to pick up, though.

He used scroll of summoning, murderholed, didn't get a single mut. Fo^Oka is dumb strong. Ran into 13 OOFs on the way to the orb, that's a LOT.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Araganzar posted:

it's like some buff dude heard a noise and went out in the middle of the night in his bathrobe and fell into a sinkhole into the dungeon.

Devs, please make this canon, thanks.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Araganzar posted:

He used scroll of summoning, murderholed, didn't get a single mut. Fo^Oka is dumb strong. Ran into 13 OOFs on the way to the orb, that's a LOT.

Yeah that more or less echoes my experience. If there's a wall that's 4 tiles thick a FoFi^oka can take on literally anything in the game.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Araganzar posted:

I tried this class out. You start with a robe, no weapon, and no other armor slots which means you are more likely than any other start to die on D1.

I don't understand the point of bragging about how many "skill points" monks get when 4 go into Dodging which is not worth a lot early and another 4 of them go into frigging Stealth. Maybe if 4 went into Armor. Even Invo would be less often wasted and more thematic.

So you basically get a couple extra Fighting, and in return you start in a paper sack with nothing that can kill anything. I like the idea thematically but it's like some buff dude heard a noise and went out in the middle of the night in his bathrobe and fell into a sinkhole into the dungeon. I bet even then he'd have grabbed a softball bat or a golf club or something.

Dev has the audacity to call this a "buff" because within 30 turns "you can pick up any weapon". Yes and you enjoy it until you die on D2 to an adder or gnoll. And lack of weapon diversity in early D is likely to limit your weapon choices.

It's not a bad choice for stabbers as you will find a dagger and a short blade early, and likely an ego one. Also not bad if you don't mind splatting 4 or 5 guys getting one to temple for that sweet piety bonus.

In summation I guess my proposal is Mo should start with a flashlight and a golf club.

This was my experience with the new Mo, lots of splats to trivial poo poo early because 4 dodging and 4 fighting with no weapon has a hard time against an unarmed freakin' goblin.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I just started playing again after like 4 years or whatever and snake pits is kicking my rear end over and over again. Did it get megabuffed since ~.17?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

I didn't realize monster size was a thing that existed

Its basically invisible to the player but it does have an effect. I'm pretty sure every monster recieves an evasion bonus/malus depending on their size.

Anyways I imagine OOFs aren't actually small but rather being giant balls of fire, its hard to tell what part of them is actually susceptible to harm. So they are naturally hard to hit properly, which the game represents by making them small size. This could be completey wrong but that's what I've always thought :v:

the littlest prince posted:

I just started playing again after like 4 years or whatever and snake pits is kicking my rear end over and over again. Did it get megabuffed since ~.17?

I don't think its received any changes directly since then but I'm pretty sure the change to make poison resistance less effective was after 0.17. That of course has the side effect of making Snake more deadly since you can't resist as much of the poison being constantly thrown at you.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The game has gotten harder with every recent release.

Trunk much moreso than stable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
blade hands and robe of augmentation early on a DgTm :getin:

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Almost all of the huge boss monsters that take 2 tiles to draw are still small enough to be netted

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Aside from random panlords (who can be whatever) the only big tile monsters I recall are the 8 unique demon lords and the serpent of hell, and all of them are giant except Gloorx.

e: I guess Seraphim are big tile monsters too, I don't know what their size is.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Splatted a really promising DsVM^Hep to a curse toe because I got killed by deathcaps before I could get out. Oh well. I could definitely tell my OTR+Ignite Poison combo was starting to run out near the end of the game there.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darox posted:

Aside from random panlords (who can be whatever) the only big tile monsters I recall are the 8 unique demon lords and the serpent of hell, and all of them are giant except Gloorx.

e: I guess Seraphim are big tile monsters too, I don't know what their size is.
Mnoleg, Lom Lobon, Ereshkigal, Asmodeus and Dispater(plus Gloorx Vloq who you mentioned) are all only large, and can be caught in nets.
The only ones who are giant and cannot be netted are Cerebov and Antaeus.
(Both of those two have their own unique ways they can be cheesed which most people here probably know-Cerebov, while he cannot be netted, also cannot fly and does not have rDrown, which means you can pick him up with Tornado and drop him in the lava to instantly kill him, while Antaeus has no rPois so you can trivialize him with a blowgun and needles of sleep/paralysis/confusion/curare.)

Seraphs are, somehow, medium sized.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 1, 2017

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Okay I am fully willing to concede that monster sizing is obscure bullshit.

I think at some point nets were changed so they would indicate if the targeted monster can be affected, so that helps. I couldn't even begin to list which monsters Naga can constrict that Octopodes are too small for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I still don't understand what determines whether a monster resists poison. Fire and ice dragons do, but storm dragons don't. Iron dragons do, iron trolls don't. Stone giants don't, because I guess they're not actually made of stone?

• Locked thread