Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It remains coherent, without violently shifting the narrative every time the writer gets a new idea. Dick Solomon has a goal (be the best, like no one ever was) and is constantly progressing towards it.

And if nothing else most of its content is a mediocre Pokemon game instead of gallons of text. It's not very good but it's not abysmal by any means.

Well, that's a point in its favor, then. :shobon:

It's just that it's trying so hard to be offensive and edgy that it's just getting more and more like, say, South Park than Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Coherent is a strong word for what this story/writing is. I'd say it's more... consistent.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Yes, because what Pokémon really needs is a Diablo III reference that is also a shoutout to the Mines of Moria. :rolleyes:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

dungeon cousin posted:

I had wondered how they came up with the name for Seikamater and then I found out it's just the name of one of the artists for this game.

They couldn't even get the naming scheme of Pokemon down.

Everything about this game is :doh: incarnate.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mandatory lesbian posted:

it just confuses me cause all the people who think a gay stereotype is funny probably checked out when one of the gender options was trans, like who is the audience for this game

I feel like this has to be an example of multiple writers and designers not quite being on the same page about things, other than being awful.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

turn off the TV posted:

I feel like this has to be an example of multiple writers and designers not quite being on the same page about things, other than being awful.

:doh: incarnate indeed!

That assumes that there were writers, plural, on this game though. It can also smack of 'oh right it's been years since I last wrote something for this lemme see here... What was I going for? Ah whatever, I'll just throw in this here and that'll do it' writing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing that this town is the sole reason you don't get the watering can until so late. Can't have you growing your own currency (like presumably everyone else in that town does), or you could break the game by buying all the Sight Scopes and ant Pokemon you could possibly need!
The thing is you can collect berries in the jungle from trees that actually replenish over time, so it's not even that. It's just that Uranium had 0 playtesting or thought put into its design.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Anthell suddenly gave me flashbacks to another fan project, some kind of conversion mod of a war game that created campaigns set in the Zelda universe. There's a lot to be said about it in general (mainly this air of Better Than Canon :smug: I get concerning how recent games were implemented into the project), but relevant to the current topic I remember that Queen Gohma and her ilk were turned into a horrific parasitic hivemind, OOT's Mido betrayed the Kokiri to become a Gohma informant, and TP's Agitha was an insane war orphan who saw the hive queen as her new mother. Also they were led by a Fallen Sage who was just a humanoid bug lady that murdered a bunch of other sages.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, maybe cute kid characters from Nintendo games aren't the best cast for a bug-themed hivemind horror story.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 31, 2017

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

MiracleFlare posted:

Anthell suddenly gave me flashbacks to another fan project, some kind of conversion mod of a war game that created campaigns set in the Zelda universe. There's a lot to be said about it in general (mainly this air of Better Than Canon :smug: I get concerning how recent games were implemented into the project), but relevant to the current topic I remember that Queen Gohma and her ilk were turned into a horrific parasitic hivemind, OOT's Mido betrayed the Kokiri to become a Gohma informant, and TP's Agitha was an insane war orphan who saw the hive queen as her new mother. Also they were led by a Fallen Sage who was just a humanoid bug lady that murdered a bunch of other sages.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, maybe cute kid characters from Nintendo games aren't the best cast for a bug-themed hivemind horror story.

What the actual gently caress. I don't even know how to respond to that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blackunknown posted:

What the actual gently caress. I don't even know how to respond to that.

http://hyruletotalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrule:_Total_War_Wiki

Have fun.

Didn't the original creator of the mod go completely bonkers and abandon the project when the Hyrule Historia came out, because so much of it contradicted his head-canon?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dexie posted:

http://hyruletotalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrule:_Total_War_Wiki

Have fun.

Didn't the original creator of the mod go completely bonkers and abandon the project when the Hyrule Historia came out, because so much of it contradicted his head-canon?

If he didn't then the existence of Hyrule Warriors almost assuredly would have.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
For the record? He's still plugging away. He's basically redoing many of the factions right now.

And no, he Did Not Like Hyrule Warriors. He never stopped, mind you.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 1, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

If he didn't then the existence of Hyrule Warriors almost assuredly would have.

Hyrule Warriors has the best story, because the entire in-canon explanation for everything that happens in it is "a wizard with power over timelines wants to bone link"

what's that you say, none of this makes any sense in canon?

no poo poo, what part of "time wizard" did you not get

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Wizards: No sense of canon and non-canon.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Personally I have a soft spot for Oracle of Ages, so seeing Labrynna get turned into a "expansionism GOOD, slavery GOOD, industrialism GOOD, religion BAD" villain country sure was a fun read. Especially the part where they turned the Maku Tree into a half-mechanical abomination and then invaded Holodrum just to murder their god tree. :allears:

I'm also a fan of all the character names and designs that were Totally Improved, Look How Fancy And Mature They Are. Also some bonus weird sexism about single mothers raising sons.

Not pictured: Hylia being a genocidal false goddess who at one point usurps the throne from the rightful Queen Zelda and secretly-heir-to-a-lost-king Link. I'm sure this has nothing to do at all with the main writer having a low opinion of Skyward Sword.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Okay but which timeline is the one where the Hero of Time is defeated?

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
I only just got that Anthell is meant to be a pun on Anthill.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Bloodly posted:

For the record? He's still plugging away. He's basically redoing many of the factions right now.

You weren't kidding. I remembered some posts about Hyrule Total War a while ago and checked the mod page for it, and the most recent version came out earlier this month.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Justice Sloth posted:

I only just got that Anthell is meant to be a pun on Anthill.

I don't think I can get over this. It's so groan-inducing and not in a good, dorky, Pokemon-y way. I can't picture it without imagining the designers going "Yeah, instead of an anthill, this is an anthell, aren't we so clever?" I might be able to ignore it if it weren't for the dialogue following it that people have already expressed their own grievances at. :sigh:

Also a brief, belated note on Pokemon alternate dimension shenanigans, it's been a thing since Black and White that every game is another/parallel universe, even directly stated as such. It wasn't a major part of the plot but the idea isn't as new as some might think.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Anthell was also a thing in Ragnarok Online, and I bet there's a lot of other media that that name for a huge anthill-themed dungeon.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't like the alternate universes thing. past a certain point they didn't bother having a coherent world, and trying now to explain away the inconsistencies seems weird.

why bother with parallel universes if you're just going to use them to explain retcons that don't need to be explained?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MiracleFlare posted:

The Hyrule: Total War is rather impressive, if for no other reason the person behind it was deranged enough to somehow weave entire factions out of creatures and enemies that you only see one type of in games (Darknuts have an entire faction. With multiple units. FAIRIES have an army.)

And as for men wearing skirts... nothing wrong with a man wearing a skirt. I'm guessing the people who made this game have never seen a scotsman before? Or The Scotsman?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Spatula City posted:

I don't like the alternate universes thing. past a certain point they didn't bother having a coherent world, and trying now to explain away the inconsistencies seems weird.

why bother with parallel universes if you're just going to use them to explain retcons that don't need to be explained?

There's only two confirmed universes, the one with the original gens 1-5, then the one with the remakes and Gens 6 and 7 (the "third version" games appear to have been the "canon" versions). I mean, I can't say I ever needed a consistent Pokemon timeline, but at least they're using it to take the story in interesting directions, between Looker and Anabel, the Ultra Beasts, the world-hopping in the SuMo postgame, and so on.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Randalor posted:

The Hyrule: Total War is rather impressive, if for no other reason the person behind it was deranged enough to somehow weave entire factions out of creatures and enemies that you only see one type of in games (Darknuts have an entire faction. With multiple units. FAIRIES have an army.)

And as for men wearing skirts... nothing wrong with a man wearing a skirt. I'm guessing the people who made this game have never seen a scotsman before? Or The Scotsman?

Of course there's nothing wrong with it. The problem is that the developers have already repeatedly been demonstrated to be really grognard-y types in previous updates, and that's usually the crowd where making lame punchlines about someone's perceived gayness isn't unusual.

Basically, we're all bracing for what little characterization the gym leader gets is going to be a barrage of "lol he's gay".

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Randalor posted:

Hyrule Total War is actually pretty cool, even if its insane and crazy in hindsight. But at least they could do things with Majora, who is the like, coolest villain in the series and we'll never get to know more about him.

Also the berry shop thing? That's actually a pretty neat idea. If only berries weren't, you know, locked behind post-game to actually grow...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

Hylia being a genocidal false goddess who at one point usurps the throne from the rightful Queen Zelda

You should have seen it in previous editions. In earlier versions she was a construct developed by the Wizrobe as an insane 'test of faith' for all of Hyrule. Those that stay true to the Goddesses live and get to join the inner circle. Those that turn and follow Hylia get nuked by the Wizrobe.

That he has changed the story as his opinion softened is good, perhaps. But he couldn't resist adding a bit of added Grimdark to even Fi and the Master Sword; she was stolen and forcibly transformed.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 1, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, having read through this.

Why? Why the hell are you trying to be edgy in a pokemon game! SuMo is dark, yeah, but in ways that fits with the games. Dark, snarky pokedex entries? Well, this is a universe where animals we know don't exist, so now we're getting a glimpse into the real interactions that we don't normally think about. Darker story? Sure, that works, and it's built up naturally instead of EDGELORD SUPREME from the start. But gay jokes, nuclear meltdowns, and parent deaths. Why?

I'm going to follow this, just to see how bad the trainwreck ends up being.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Speaking of Sun/Moon, I like how Gladion spends the whole game trying to be edgy and winds up having a team of mostly Friendship evolution Pokemon by the end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Sun/Moon, I like how Gladion spends the whole game trying to be edgy and winds up having a team of mostly Friendship evolution Pokemon by the end.

Or that Team Skull is entirely a parody of edgy teens though they have their moments when they're legitimately dark

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So you're saying he truly does care and cherish, despite his outward actions? That's a solid, positive message.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was so glad that I have a habit of keeping one eye glued on Bulbapedia when I play Pokemon games. Seeing Type:Null having evolved into Silvally and looking up its evolve condition just made me d'aww.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...I think I worked it out. Everybody's all like "there's no enemy team here" but we've been seeing them all along.

You guys, the enemy team is Pokemon.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Gladion is really a sweet kid who does this over-the-top badass act as a defense mechanism in reaction to his mom turning into Worst Mother Ever.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Genocyber posted:

I was so glad that I have a habit of keeping one eye glued on Bulbapedia when I play Pokemon games. Seeing Type:Null having evolved into Silvally and looking up its evolve condition just made me d'aww.

Well... He stole Type:NULL from the aether foundation because it was put in cryogenic stasis after they couldn't properly weaponize him. He joined team skull because his mother had some inroads with Guzma. Most of his demeanor is him trying too hard to emulate the Skulls

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 1, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Glazius posted:

...I think I worked it out. Everybody's all like "there's no enemy team here" but we've been seeing them all along.

I'm actually kind of okay with the concept of a Pokemon game about the ancient social contract breaking down and Pokemon becoming openly hostile. I'm not sure how you'd keep it from turning into a 1970's animal-attack horror movie, but given the number of exploding power plants, Uranium's one dystopia away from being 1970's Horror Tropes: The Pokemon Game anyway, so why not go whole hog?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Glazius posted:

We'll get there guys. We will. Don't worry. It will be nothing you ever wanted.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've always been curious what would happen if a human ate a TM. Would he breath fire once, gently caress up his throat and just go "This was a REALLY BAD IDEA :supaburn:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've always been curious what would happen if a human ate a TM. Would he breath fire once, gently caress up his throat and just go "This was a REALLY BAD IDEA :supaburn:

Not even pokemon eat TMs, they're like CDs except if we trust 3rd Gen you teach moves with them by slamming them onto your pokemon's forehead.

But I mean, humans just aren't compatible with any TMs. We're like Unown that way.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

professor_curly posted:

We'll get there guys. We will. Don't worry. It will be nothing you ever wanted.

Saying that makes me think that we're going to deal with a really bad knockoff of the Tunnel Snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maybe this game got C/D because they can't stop using music from other games.

• Locked thread