Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I was just thinking like 4 at BLT and 4 at Poly or some combo of the two. Don't forget though, Old Key West is walking distance to Epcot and (not so much) Disney Springs, so if you plan on spending any serious time there, OKW isn't a terrible choice.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Writing up a RCA for a major IT outage we had last week while watching MK fireworks across lake.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 30, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nimper posted:

It's over by the movie theater, across from the star wars and marvel stores.

Thanks! I'll def make it by there.

Does anyone have tips on using a DSLR at Disney Springs? I've always avoiding or made excuses to not bring mine to Disney/most places but I'm finally going to stop being a nervous wimp and go for it and try to get some nice photos or at least practice. I'll be using a 60D + 50mm 1.8. Hopefully the narrow crop won't affect me too much, I haven't used it much in that kind of environment yet.

Also, will they let me bring it in my bag to Cirque Du Soleil? I'll be seeing it on Saturday and can't find anything about if they let cameras in or not.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No cameras allowed into cirque so they won't let it

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate that! I would probably be going through an established points dealer either way, but I've heard some of them require a deposit to check dates, so this saves me some trouble.

We are looking to go on Oct 14-22 (give or take a bit either way, depending on availability), and I think it'd be awesome if we could get something on the monorail. Any chance you could look at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian standard rooms during that time frame?

Okay I'll check out what I can see in the morning.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Empress Brosephine posted:

No cameras allowed into cirque so they won't let it

Aw drat. Not even in a bag? Thanks for the quick response, I'm glad I didn't get there and have to figure out where to store it during the show.

Can't blame them though. Policing the morons with flash sounds like a nightmare. Then again it's not like phones are banned so I'm sure they still have their fair share of situations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

skipdogg posted:

Old Key West is walking distance to Epcot and (not so much) Disney Springs, so if you plan on spending any serious time there, OKW isn't a terrible choice.

Is it? It's across the highway from Epcot, and I don't think there's a pedestrian path between them.

Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin, and Yacht & Beach Clubs are all on the lagoon that has a walking path to the World Showcase and Hollywood Studios.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aw drat. Not even in a bag? Thanks for the quick response, I'm glad I didn't get there and have to figure out where to store it during the show.

Can't blame them though. Policing the morons with flash sounds like a nightmare. Then again it's not like phones are banned so I'm sure they still have their fair share of situations.

They might just ask you to put it somewheres but they're pretty strict on that policy atleast to what we have to tell people when we sell cirque

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it? It's across the highway from Epcot, and I don't think there's a pedestrian path between them.

You can kinda see Epcot through the trees from the outskirts of OKW but I wouldn't dream of walking there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

chitoryu12 posted:

Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin, and Yacht & Beach Clubs are all on the lagoon that has a walking path to the World Showcase and Hollywood Studios.

I don't know why my dumb rear end thought there was a walkway.

Beach club is a great location. We did a split stay last time and spent a couple nights there before going to BLT.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

All I remember about the beach club is being 12 and walking around the back of the hotel to our car in the rear end end of the Boardwalk parking lot in 100 degree weather because my dad decided to take the long way around.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My MIL got lost on her scooter when we were at the Beach Club. She was trying to get over to the Boardwalk, and instead of taking a left out of the back of BC towards the international gateway and making a right across the bridge, she went right. Supposedly she drove past the boat launch and just kept going all the way through/around Dolphin, past Swan, and then made it to the Boardwalk eventually. They don't call her Wrong Way Granny for no reason, she gets going on that scooter and who knows where she's going to end up. She ended up in a service area of a resort one time, someone had to help her out with directions. She's entertaining to travel with, but have to make sure her phone location sharing is on so we can track her if needed when she decides to roam.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Just wanted to say that AKL is amazing. So happy to be back in WDW.

And my son got to meet a ton of WWE superstars at the airport yesterday after we landed. It's only day 2 and this trip has been amazing.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Anyone ever went to Disneyland Paris? I'd love to go to WDW but being from Switzerland that would be quite the holidays. We are planning to go to Disneyland Paris instead, beginning of September and I was wondering if anyone that ever went there at tips/suggestions.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate that! I would probably be going through an established points dealer either way, but I've heard some of them require a deposit to check dates, so this saves me some trouble.

We are looking to go on Oct 14-22 (give or take a bit either way, depending on availability), and I think it'd be awesome if we could get something on the monorail. Any chance you could look at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian standard rooms during that time frame?

Okay, the only consecutive days I saw for Oct 14-22 was for Saratoga Springs.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks again for taking a look at that for me! It looks like Saratoga is a but it of the way, but still quite highly rated. I might end up going this route if nothing better crops up.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Gin_Rummy posted:

Thanks again for taking a look at that for me! It looks like Saratoga is a but it of the way, but still quite highly rated. I might end up going this route if nothing better crops up.

Saratoga isn't really out of the way but if your real goal is a monorail resort then I can see why you'd think so.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Well, mostly in the sense that you can really only walk to Disney Springs. I don't mind the buses, but you just have to wake up so much earlier to make rope drop when you're relying on them.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Also Saratoga Springs is one of the most meh of resorts. It's nice and what you'd expect quality-wise but the themeing is so plain it doesn't even feel like Disney.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah, I already had that last year with the swolphin. I want all out Disney goodness. My gf actually wanted us to stay in a little mermaid room at AoA, but they're all booked up or something. Can't get anything.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Le0 posted:

Anyone ever went to Disneyland Paris? I'd love to go to WDW but being from Switzerland that would be quite the holidays. We are planning to go to Disneyland Paris instead, beginning of September and I was wondering if anyone that ever went there at tips/suggestions.

Yes! I go quite often so I'd be happy to offer general advice or any specific questions you have.

This year's a great time to go - the 25th anniversary just started, with 2 new castle shows, a new daytime parade, and a new nighttime spectacular. Star Tours 2 just opened too, and Hyperspace Mountain is coming in a few months as well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any of you have a recommendation for a starter tent? One of my goals is to camp overnight at fort wilderness in a tent

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Alps Moutaineering make great and affordable tents. I have this one that has served me well for years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B9GCRL...la-273162284769

Just stay away from department store tents. They're bulky, heavy, fall apart, and leak like crazy.

Also, you'll want a sleeping pad of some sort, the long rectangular pool floats make for a good cheap single person air mattress.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Word thanks man. I'm excited to do it now :woop:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a starter tent? One of my goals is to camp overnight at fort wilderness in a tent

for the love of god do not do it in the summer

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

for the love of god do not do it in the summer

Word. Even the nights will be in the 90s, and you'll feel like dying if you don't sleep in front of an electric fan or something. Save it for January or February when the nights are usually guaranteed to be cold and you can bundle up.

On that note, I love staying at the Fort Wilderness cabins. They have a gorgeous rustic aesthetic and there's plenty of nature to soak in around the resort. They also come with outdoor grills, so bring some charcoal and meat and get to barbecuin'!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

My idea of camping is staying at an All Star.

I did like the cabin though. Renting the golf cart was the best idea ever and tooling around the resort on that thing was maybe the highlight of that trip.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok yeah I didn't even think about the heat, ill do it in the winter then :3 .

I'd like to stay at the cabins too, my cast discount makes them not too bad, but for that same money I could also stay at the contemp or the poly soooo :shrug:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Ok yeah I didn't even think about the heat, ill do it in the winter then :3 .

I'd like to stay at the cabins too, my cast discount makes them not too bad, but for that same money I could also stay at the contemp or the poly soooo :shrug:

I love the cabins but for some reason they are priced high. My guess is that it is based on square footage and number of people that they can sleep, it is like a suite?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tomapot posted:

I love the cabins but for some reason they are priced high. My guess is that it is based on square footage and number of people that they can sleep, it is like a suite?

Yeah, the cabins are larger than hotel rooms and include a kitchenette.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Don't let that fisheye lens fool you, though. That table and bench is not that big.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
+1 for the golf cart rental when staying at the campgrounds.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Braksgirl posted:

My idea of camping is staying at Wilderness Lodge.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
You can camp out in the living room of some new cabins they built along the water for DVC like the ones at the Poly.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/copper-creek-villas-and-cabins/

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cop...FwQSd8W-2IkZRM:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Been up since 3am, flight was at 6am. Did MK and Epcot until Illuminations and can't keep my eyes open now. Holy gently caress there's mad construction going on. The bus ride back to my resort was like 45 minutes from Epcot and is an Epcot resort (Caribbean Beach).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God daaamn Frontera Cocina is so good

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm at the entrance to the line for Tower of Terror for fastpass and the FP line literally starts here. The regular line has been closed and has a 180 minute wait. The hell?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Holy Christ that sounds like hell.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
ToT usually has fantastic throughput, I'm guessing there was a break down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Kilometers Davis posted:

God daaamn Frontera Cocina is so good

It really, really is. We ate there completely by chance because every restaurant had a 2 hour wait and their bar had 2 open seats. Everything was delicious. The jalapeņo margarita I wife got was great too.