Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
So yeah...I'm with a group that likes games with maps, I'd like to get a new round of Stellaris multiplayer games going with both those folks and anyone else ITT, that might be interested, so...feel free to check it out!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&pagenumber=18#post470902347

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Daniel Moregård is posting preorder discount codes for Utopia: https://twitter.com/dmoregard

Thanks for the heads up. I got one for retweeting him. 6 bux off, not bad.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Man oh man this game! :allears:

I had a save ready with the Horizon Signal triggered and I wanted to play through that for the first time before the new patch would come and bork the save. Learned new things during that (heavy spoilers):

I knew about the Pod where they change the species. My species got changed to the Blorg appearance. I knew about the colony that would have funny buildings. I thought everyone would disappear but that either doesn't happen or I didn't trigger it somehow. But then the primitive civ I was watching (on Sanctuary) suddenly begin having Loop/Coil religion and somehow wipe themselves off the face of the ringworld and I had never heard of that before. Faintly recalling a glitch involving Fallen Empires, I quickly napped that spot, made it my capital and build the final building. 4 25-sized, 8 10-sized Tomb Worlds, and two incidental moons as my capital system. Actually the other civ on Sanctuary I was watching (the two other got asteroided and their segments turned into literal Barren Planets), also got the genetic modification and were unhappy because of Alien Overlords. That were themselves. I hadn't invaded them or uplifted them or anything.

I just love finding out ways to make a game behave in an unintended manner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

It's a shame Stellaris can't get Leonard Nimoy to do voiceover now.

You could get George Takei instead :v:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Oh my. There is a humongous fungus among us.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Next best thing to Leonard Nimoy would be Benedict Cumberbatch.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Omnicarus posted:

Next best thing to Leonard Nimoy would be Benedict Cumberbatch.

He was the best part of a terrible movie, definitely.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CommissarMega posted:

He was the best part of a terrible movie, definitely.

Nimoy or Cumerbatch?

The answer is both

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Am I the only one who thinks these all look lovely, and far worse than the vanilla robot?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GotLag posted:

Am I the only one who thinks these all look lovely, and far worse than the vanilla robot?

They look fine to me?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ug-bots

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think those look nice. 2nd one is a little evil looking. Really just wish we could pick each type for our selves, but I'm sure that will come one day.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
They all look way too human. The best part of the floating ball robots posted earlier in the thread is that they look like something that any species in the game could possibly create.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Sadly, I can't think of where to put an interface in which you pick what your built up roibots should look like. It'd have to be in species generation, I suppose (though who knows how I'd squeeze that in), but I suppose first thing's first in trying to give you a choice for your own species.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

VirtualStranger posted:

They all look way too human. The best part of the floating ball robots posted earlier in the thread is that they look like something that any species in the game could possibly create.

Yeah, I like an exploration of what non-bipedal creatures would create in regards to droids. Like if you're a race of hundred-legged voracious centipedes, I imagine your robot would look pretty different from a standard android.

On the other hand, bilateral symmetry, two manipulating appendages and two or three limbs dedicated to mobility is pretty easy to think up, conceptually. Like it would be cool if aliens meet humans and are just like "Holy poo poo, they're just like meat robots!"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Like it would be cool if aliens meet humans and are just like "Holy poo poo, they're just like meat robots!"

:bsg:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, I like an exploration of what non-bipedal creatures would create in regards to droids. Like if you're a race of hundred-legged voracious centipedes, I imagine your robot would look pretty different from a standard android.

On the other hand, bilateral symmetry, two manipulating appendages and two or three limbs dedicated to mobility is pretty easy to think up, conceptually. Like it would be cool if aliens meet humans and are just like "Holy poo poo, they're just like meat robots!"

Two legs seems fundamentally awkward to me: you'd spend so much extra effort teaching them to balance themselves without much benefit. Wheels are a simpler solution.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 1, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Clarste posted:

Two legs seems fundamentally awkward to me: you'd spend so much extra effort teaching them to balance themselves without much benefit. Wheels are a simpler solution.

*in javik voice* I see locomotion is still primitive in this cycle #fallenempirethings

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Clarste posted:

Sure, unless you need to traverse any terrain other than absolutely flat and hard. Legs give you the ability to climb slopes easier, but yeah 3 or even 4 is usually a better idea; see: the BigDog series of terrifying death machines.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Something yall might find interesting: a video from Pdox's con where they go into possible government builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtcpYTAwaTA

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Spanish Matlock posted:

Like it would be cool if aliens meet humans and are just like "Holy poo poo, they're just like meat robots!"

https://youtu.be/7tScAyNaRdQ

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does the AI know my fleet composition somehow?

I went to war with some mean ol' aliens and all of their ships were 100% mass drivers and chewed me up. I cheated and loaded an old save and reconfigured my ships to have a ton of armor. Then I went to war again but this time their ships were 100% lasers!

Was I just unlucky? Should I just always use a balance of all weapon / defense types? Is there any way to see what kind of ships an empire has before going to war? (sensors / frontier outposts?)

Bonus question: is it standard to use the "there is no need for sectors" edict and give up on sectors? I remember complaints about sector AI after release and it still seems like it's pretty useless. I check planets and there are unemployed pops everywhere or a dude on a giant empty planet sitting on an unimproved 1 science tile right next to an unoccupied farm.

(I know it's annoying to ask questions like this just before a major expansion that might change everything!)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

The obvious counter-point here is: It's only easy to think up for us, because we are like this already. An alien would probably reason the same like you, but opposite. And then be confused because those weird humans don't have hundred-legged robots. After all, it's so easy to think this up, why aren't they using the obviously superior body model? :v:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

fuf posted:

Does the AI know my fleet composition somehow?

It definitely seems to try and adapt, from my experience. The first time you might have gotten unlucky that their composition was rigged to tear you up. The second time, did you have any small encounters with them where your new ship composition might have been revealed?

It's real obvious when you go all-in on one type of defense or weapon. I generally make my ships a mix of both energy, kinetics, armor, and shields, and it seems like the AI has a bit more trouble adapting to a mixed design.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Libluini posted:

The obvious counter-point here is: It's only easy to think up for us, because we are like this already. An alien would probably reason the same like you, but opposite. And then be confused because those weird humans don't have hundred-legged robots. After all, it's so easy to think this up, why aren't they using the obviously superior body model? :v:

Arguably, a car assembly line or similar robot is many-limbed like a centipede. :v:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

LogisticEarth posted:

The second time, did you have any small encounters with them where your new ship composition might have been revealed?

I don't think so, unless they can see across closed borders. It was the same both times: declare war, immediately send my fleet to their nearest planet, their fleet shows up a few days later. First time I had mostly shields and their fleet was 100% mass drivers, second time I had mostly armor and it was 100% lasers.

I will make a balanced fleet instead, but I liked the idea of the RPS thing where you tweak your fleet to counter a particular enemy. I guess I could game it by sending a little scout ship to check out their fleet composition then quickly upgrade my main fleet.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

fuf posted:

I don't think so, unless they can see across closed borders. It was the same both times: declare war, immediately send my fleet to their nearest planet, their fleet shows up a few days later. First time I had mostly shields and their fleet was 100% mass drivers, second time I had mostly armor and it was 100% lasers.

I will make a balanced fleet instead, but I liked the idea of the RPS thing where you tweak your fleet to counter a particular enemy. I guess I could game it by sending a little scout ship to check out their fleet composition then quickly upgrade my main fleet.

If you (or the AI) have sensor coverage in another empire's territory, you can click on the system and see their ships, assuming there's a system in range. I have no idea if the AI actually takes advantage of this and redesigns their ships properly, but I certainly do.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Libluini posted:

It's kind of like that tech blurp in Civilization 2: Test of Time in the sci fi scenario. If you play as aliens you meet the humans and they go 'holy poo poo wheels? That makes so much sense!' and they've just been using flat sleighs all the way up to interstellar flight.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cross-title-multiplayer-between-stellaris-and-eu4-hoi4.1008387/

Strong effort, Paradox.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

This would be pretty loving cool tbh.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

It's kind of like that tech blurp in Civilization 2: Test of Time in the sci fi scenario. If you play as aliens you meet the humans and they go 'holy poo poo wheels? That makes so much sense!' and they've just been using flat sleighs all the way up to interstellar flight.

Exactly. It's a funny joke, but probably not how it would go with real aliens. :v:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

This would be pretty loving cool tbh.

I was disappointed by the lack of CK2 crossover. Many of the events in that game already sound like abductions, anyway.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
War of the Worlds.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

See, they joke about this, but I would legitimately like that feature. Especially if you could get a Turtledove-style Worldwar thing going on in HoI

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Comet sighted!

Oh wait it was a kinetic round.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm just thinking(Presuming it was real) of the event teleporting every single troop you have available to deal with something. Not a 'starts a Special Project' sort of thing where you need to bring everything together, just 'Zwoop' and they're all halfway across the galaxy. It's be funny. Exploitative. Eventually, annoying.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The loving General Jeff Goldblum picture really sells this one. :allears:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I started a knife-fight-in-a-cupboard hyperdrive game with my homeworld and starter planets on a tiny little peninsula behind a Fanatic Xenophile Fallen Empire. Fortunately they decided I was worth keeping around as pets, so I've spent the game with my core worlds as an impenetrable game preserve in their back garden while I launch fleet after fleet from the couple of lovely front line planets I colonised early with my allowance.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Baronjutter posted:

Wiz do you guys have stats on how people are playing stellaris? I remember a while ago you or someone dumped a bunch of cool info about eu4 on us, most popular nation (custom!) and average game lengths and so on. Do you guys have that for Stellaris? I'd be curious what the most popular "builds" are and when people stop playing.

Wait, Custom was the most popular nation in EU4? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

spectralent posted:

Wait, Custom was the most popular nation in EU4? :psyduck:

It's insane to me as well but apparently people like doing their own thing. Custom nations are able to have such brokenly strong ideas even with a small number of points that I don't find it fun without handicapping myself, at which point you might as well play some random interesting historical nation.

• Locked thread