Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wormil posted:

What I see happening with The Expanse is a lot of people putting it on a very tall pedestal that it really doesn't deserve (yet anyway). At some point the honeymoon will be over and those same people will start rocking the pedestal and blaming the show for not living up to their expectations. This is how you kill a show.

I rewatched Season 1 of BSG, and got that same feeling. BSG came out of the gate so hard and so well put together. The Expanse is a slow burn, and the characters take a while to feel developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Haters Back Off is so good. On one hand you have to have a really high tolerance for cringe-comedy because it uses it in extreme amounts but on the other - some of the scenes are insanely good. I normally can't stand the cringe in a series but this show trained me to thanks to really amazingly written jokes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Palpek posted:

Haters Back Off is so good. On one hand you have to have a really high tolerance for cringe-comedy because it uses it in extreme amounts but on the other - some of the scenes are insanely good. I normally can't stand the cringe in a series but this show trained me to thanks to really amazingly written jokes.

Plus the emotional gut punch near the end hits HARD.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Just finished Patriot Season 1 on Amazon. I really haven't laughed that hard at a show in a while. I hope they do a second season. I mean if that awful country club show has 3 seasons Patriot should get more.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rough Lobster posted:

Can anyone weigh in on the Expanse (Amazon prime streaming)? I've got a hankering for some sci fi. Looking for a show that's accessible to a non sci fi fan. My wife hates that kind of poo poo but I think it's because she associates it more with say Star Trek and Stargate type stuff. She was the same way about fantasy until we got into GoT.

I can understand not being into Trek stuff but thinking "sci-fi = Stargate SG-1" and not finishing that thought with "proving sci-fi is the BEST GENRE" means it's fuckin divorce time goonfriend

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mister Adequate posted:

I can understand not being into Trek stuff but thinking "sci-fi = Stargate SG-1" and not finishing that thought with "proving sci-fi is the BEST GENRE" means it's fuckin divorce time goonfriend

:goonsay:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Archer season +1 is up. Honestly I think it's time to end the show. The whole season was, like the last one, completely forgettable.

Sucks cause I loved the first few seasons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Archer season +1 is up. Honestly I think it's time to end the show. The whole season was, like the last one, completely forgettable.

Sucks cause I loved the first few seasons.

I loved it through S4, but the quality took a huge dive in the fifth season and while the sixth was better, it was still pretty blah. I'm going to watch the seventh as background noise but I don't have high hopes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Archer's ringtone being "Mulatto Butts" from Frisky Dingo was great.

Yes, idiot, I know they were made by the same people.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Frisky dingo is also a fantastic show but I haven't watched it since I was much younger so maybe it doesn't hold up to memory. It's on hulu iirc.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I liked Archer S1, the rest have been meh

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agent355 posted:

Frisky dingo is also a fantastic show but I haven't watched it since I was much younger so maybe it doesn't hold up to memory. It's on hulu iirc.

The animation, of course, is way worse than Archer but I still like it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

The animation, of course, is way worse than Archer but I still like it.

It has Killer Mike, which is nice

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
7th season of Archer has the capitulation of the voicemail gag and it's worth it for that alone.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

syscall girl posted:

It has Killer Mike, which is nice

Jesus Christ it's been loving forever since Frisky Dingo was on air and I found out NOW Killer Mike was Taquil?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
13 Reasons Why is on Netflix and it is super depressing. It's put together very well, though.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Not digging this thumbs up/down thing so far. The stars let me know what to avoid which was most of Netflix's original content.

Also the new Louis CK special that dropped yesterday on Netflix is maybe my new favorite special of his.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I thought they might convert old ratings into thumbs but nah, I guess we start over from scratch. It seems Netflix wants to follow Youtube into dumbing down and fixing things until they break.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trebek posted:

Not digging this thumbs up/down thing so far. The stars let me know what to avoid which was most of Netflix's original content.

Also the new Louis CK special that dropped yesterday on Netflix is maybe my new favorite special of his.

I saw it live and was worried it wouldn't live up to a second viewing. He really polished everything up and added a few more jokes for the special.

The new Chapelle series is dope as fug.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

wormil posted:

I thought they might convert old ratings into thumbs but nah, I guess we start over from scratch. It seems Netflix wants to follow Youtube into dumbing down and fixing things until they break.

I think I still have the stars on PS3, will have to check tomorrow at this point but that's unfortunate if this is a full fledged roll out and not some pilot program bullshit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You guys talked me into watching Patriot, it's good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Fortitude on Amazon Prime is a mystery/thriller with outstanding casting, great directing and scenery, but poor writing. I'm 4 episodes in and it's good enough that I will finish it especially since I heard it picks up steam in the latter half of the season. I was getting a sci-fi vibe too and when I looked it up, apparently I was right, although nothing overtly sci-fi has emerged plotwise yet. I just wish it was a more straightforward mystery and story instead building the entire season around red herrings which seems to have become popular again in British mysteries. It's one of those shows where everyone's presented to the audience as a suspect regardless if they had any motive or opportunity. It's a soap opera murder mystery but is otherwise well done and might be worth watching to some people.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

wormil posted:

If things keep going like this I might have to cancel my Qwikster subscription.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Fortitude on Amazon Prime is a mystery/thriller with outstanding casting, great directing and scenery, but poor writing. I'm 4 episodes in and it's good enough that I will finish it especially since I heard it picks up steam in the latter half of the season. I was getting a sci-fi vibe too and when I looked it up, apparently I was right, although nothing overtly sci-fi has emerged plotwise yet. I just wish it was a more straightforward mystery and story instead building the entire season around red herrings which seems to have become popular again in British mysteries. It's one of those shows where everyone's presented to the audience as a suspect regardless if they had any motive or opportunity. It's a soap opera murder mystery but is otherwise well done and might be worth watching to some people.

I looked up "damned with faint praise" in the dictionary and was reminded that dictionaries do not work that way. But so yeah I really want to watch this but feel like I'm not going to for some reason now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

syscall girl posted:

I looked up "damned with faint praise" in the dictionary and was reminded that dictionaries do not work that way. But so yeah I really want to watch this but feel like I'm not going to for some reason now.

I'm just not hip with the thumbs up or down thing yet, sorry.

Really though, you should probably watch it. Some people don't mind red herrings in lieu of plot, Broadchurch did alright. Although Gracepoint didn't.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

jodai posted:

13 Reasons Why is on Netflix and it is super depressing. It's put together very well, though.

I really want to hear more about the show cause it seems interesting but also seems like it could be really, really bad.

Zombear
Dec 4, 2007
Catchphrase!
I haven't read through this whole thread, but I know that the original Unsolved Mysteries, all of Oz, and Batman: the Animated Series are all on Amazon Prime.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Grem posted:

I really want to hear more about the show cause it seems interesting but also seems like it could be really, really bad.

I got 4-5 episodes before I couldn't take it anymore. So much of the show was really interesting and good but there's only so many times I can listen to a vapid high schooler complain about how if they don't get to take a limo to the dance they will LITERALLY die and how horrible their parents are.

Like I know the audience is not expected to take it seriously but it still just puts my hackles up just hearing that stuff.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Agent355 posted:

I got 4-5 episodes before I couldn't take it anymore. So much of the show was really interesting and good but there's only so many times I can listen to a vapid high schooler complain about how if they don't get to take a limo to the dance they will LITERALLY die and how horrible their parents are.

Like I know the audience is not expected to take it seriously but it still just puts my hackles up just hearing that stuff.

Given that it's juxtaposed with people actually dying and killing themselves, it's supposed to be grating

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Given that it's juxtaposed with people actually dying and killing themselves, it's supposed to be grating

It is, and it doesn't make the show bad, but if something is grating intentionally it doesn't make it less grating.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Bet this guy hates Peggy Hill too :(

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I feel like I got pretty quick what Haters Back Off was going for with so many absurd characters, and I was totally down for it. But it just didn't really hit the mark for me.

It felt kind of - I don't know the right word - 'disingenuous' to make everybody completely ridiculous, and then whip back to pin the drama on the one normal character. Like you can't tell the audience to be whisked away into that wacky world only to then treat the way that world affects a normal person seriously/dramatically. If that makes sense?

I didn't mind it though; I'll probably give season 2 a try when it comes.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Grem posted:

One of the frustrating things about it is the whole thing is based on listening to cassette tapes to understand all the reasons this girl killed herself. The guy with the tapes keeps stopping and wandering around and asking people questions. A lot of his questions could have been answered if he listened to the tapes. Several characters tell him they listened to all the tapes in one night.

Other than that, it just gets harder to watch as more stuff happens to this girl and, like Agent355 said, the other kids are just going along being regular annoying kids.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Captain Lavender posted:

I feel like I got pretty quick what Haters Back Off was going for with so many absurd characters, and I was totally down for it. But it just didn't really hit the mark for me.

It felt kind of - I don't know the right word - 'disingenuous' to make everybody completely ridiculous, and then whip back to pin the drama on the one normal character. Like you can't tell the audience to be whisked away into that wacky world only to then treat the way that world affects a normal person seriously/dramatically. If that makes sense?

I didn't mind it though; I'll probably give season 2 a try when it comes.

Did you watch to the end of the first season? Because all of the "wacky" characters get hit with the drama hammer super hard. It's emotionally draining to watch but I thought it did what it was trying to do very well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

food court bailiff posted:

Did you watch to the end of the first season? Because all of the "wacky" characters get hit with the drama hammer super hard. It's emotionally draining to watch but I thought it did what it was trying to do very well.

Agreed.
I thought they were trying to make a Napoleon Dynamite TV show at first and almost didn't make it past the first episode.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone tried the new MST3K episodes yet?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

food court bailiff posted:

I dunno. It felt like the kind of stuff Miranda had been doing, presumably, her whole life finally got to everyone at a time that was convenient for the plot. I didn't hate it, but I just feel like, if you're going to take the audience out of reality with characters that act ridiculous 95% of the time, it feels a bit cheap to then use that ridiculous behavior we've come to accept to then apply to normal human responses from those same characters. It just rubbed me the wrong way - like I say, I'll be interested in seeing where it goes next season.

Oldstench posted:

Just started. I'm laughing at the movie commentary, looking good so far.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Oldstench posted:

There were some problems in the first couple with WAY too many jokes per minute, probably due to the million guest writers they had. It settles down a bit by the third episode, and I'm getting into it, though. I hope they get a second season.

I'm sure there are people who will never stop yelling about how much they hate Jonah Ray and Felicia Day, though.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

Oldstench posted:

Just watched the first episode and liked it. Thought they really nailed a lot of the old MST3K beats well but yeah, a shitload of jokes.

I have to say I'm totally impressed by the Monster Rap. They crushed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I would have been one of those people but they are both absolutely perfect in their roles.