Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Deport The Irish posted:

I don't care about the name change because it was a dumb joke and Lup has not once been referred to as "Chalupa" anyway, but it takes a pretty broken mind to imagine a racist thing and then get mad at the McElroys for it.

Irrelevant because it's infinitely better for both their brand and comedy to handle it exactly the way they did. Fun fact: getting mad about dumb poo poo goes both ways

Poque fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Poque posted:

Irrelevant because it's infinitely better for both their brand and comedy to handle it exactly the way they did. Fun fact: getting mad about dumb poo poo goes both ways

Now I know I'm going to have to do a re-listen, because when did they ever talk about her before now?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

BigRed0427 posted:

Now I know I'm going to have to do a re-listen, because when did they ever talk about her before now?

They mentioned the reference in the new TTAZZ but I don't recall it from my own listens.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

It was officially confirmed in the latest episode, but people have been speculating that "LUP" stood for Chalupa pretty much ever since the term first appeared.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ariong posted:

It was officially confirmed in the latest episode, but people have been speculating that "LUP" stood for Chalupa pretty much ever since the term first appeared.

I know that, But Griffin made it sound like he had been dropping hints and her name all throughout the campaign.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
The name "Lup" pops up in almost every arc or its lunar cooldown, but I don't think he ever makes any hints to why the name/character is significant, no.

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 1, 2017

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
The Red Robe (well, Barry) said "They don't trust me Lup, I can't do this anymore" when he popped up at the end of Petals to the Metal, and Taako's umbrella freaked out and scorching-rayed it into the wall during that interlude when Taako was teaching Angus magic. I might be forgetting some other time.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
On another note this is fantastic:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think they should bring Stuart Wellington in for one of the mini-game sessions when they're trying stuff out. I totally understand his switch-em-up episodes rubbed people the wrong way, but I think that was entirely because of the players. He had solid premises for each one, and he was very good in that live one about the Bureau of Balance team-building retreat. A four-person all-McElroy party would be dope too.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

say what you want about the crystal kingdom but it still had this moment and it certainly made me laugh harder than anything that happened in the eleventh hour

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

showbiz_liz posted:

On another note this is fantastic:

the fans latching onto the what if for 'what if Magic Brian survived and got brought back to the BoB' has been pretty great. Just replace Pringles with this lovely wizard with his dumb accent and a giant spider

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

the fans latching onto the what if for 'what if Magic Brian survived and got brought back to the BoB' has been pretty great. Just replace Pringles with this lovely wizard with his dumb accent and a giant spider

I believe that Magic Brian was a former BoB member before going rogue, which would mean that fan art such as the one above could theoretically be canon

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
it'll be 1 am when the monster factory smackdown starts but damned if that stops me

3 am but who's counting

Raserys fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 1, 2017

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Not that it matters in the slightest, or that I'm trying to invalidate someone's real feelings, but I have seen "taako" so much that it's become distinct from "taco" to where I don't even think of them being the same thing. So when I read somewhere Please let Lup be short for chalupa I thought like, yeah, that'd be a funny name, but not at all for its relation to the taco.

Also that Adventure Zone Knights theme is super duper good.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Holy gently caress I laughed myself hoarse at the newest Touch The Skyrim

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I think it was overall smart and compassionate of Griffin to choose to just stick with Lup as the name; I don't know if it was absolutely necessary, but it's a good move. Even completely discounting the potential fan-interpretation of the elf twins as Latinx/Latinx-presenting, I do remember feeling a bit leery towards the beginning of the podcast with the "Haha, my wizard's name is Taco/Taako. Isn't that a wacky and out there name?! And his quest is to invent the taco!" and the resulting "Lup has to be Chalupa/Chaalupa, isn't that a wacky and funny connection?!"

Taako's "quest" frequently refers to their conception of the taco as being made from a hard shell, with shredded lettuce, ground beef, and slivers of yellow cheese, and it could be argued that for these good boys from West Virginia, that conception of a taco (and the use of it as a joke) is a genuine cultural artifact from their upbringing. But the counter is essentially that it can be uncomfortable to have the words "taco" and "chalupa" be a punchline in and of themselves from the English perspective of "isn't it wild and silly that these are their names?" because like, those words aren't just Taco Bell menu items - they do actually have meaning and are elements of culture for people who are alive in the world.

I think I'd be equally uneasy if Justin and Griffin wrote/roleplayed characters named "Grittz and Chyt'linz" or "Chowmayne and Chowfunn" with the intent of the joke being "these words are strange and alien to the world of fantasy, so it is funny that these characters are named that". I'd argue that "Hortenz and Puuteen" or, if the McElroys were from Europe, "Burga and Fryze" aren't potentially offensive as jokes because Canadians are not an oppressed minority in the States and Americans are not one in Europe, and the skin color of the ethnic group associated with the names' homonyms are not immediately considered outsider or niche in most mainstream interpretations of D&D-esque fantasy.

I hope the Monster Factory mega event has surprise visits from Badraandyy, Susan Crushbone, and the destructive tag team power of The Bustos.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
On a totally separate from the McElroy interpretation of the setting question note --- is Matzica back in 5E? I thought it was a little weird to remove the Mesoamerican subsetting of Forgotten Realms and replace it with a DragonZone from another universe.

I ask because it's where tacos would come from.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 1, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mimir posted:

On a totally separate from the McElroy interpretation of the setting question note --- is Matzica back in 5E? I thought it was a little weird to remove the Mesoamerican subsetting of Forgotten Realms and replace it with a DragonZone from another universe.

Huh?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In my mind Taako is not merely overweight, he is perfectly spherical. He moves by rolling, and being rolled.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
super late but I felt the point of the chalice temptation was to not actually try and have them take the chalice but it was to A. set Justin and Clint down and make them actually figure out their loving characters (much more so Clint than Justin) and B. Let Travis finally give his intricately detailed backstory

also I actually think murder on the rockport limited is my least favorite arc? the story is pretty thin, they need to have the mystery spelled out to them by an NPC, and Angus is like the only memorable character from it. Other than Angus, Griffin's struggling with a character voice for no reason, Tom Boddet, and Magnus punching a loving crab monster out of a train there's not really anything about it I like.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 1, 2017

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mimir posted:

The second sundering brought everything back.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Poque posted:

Holy gently caress I laughed myself hoarse at the newest Touch The Skyrim
I made the mistake of watching it while eating dinner and I very nearly threw up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
really enjoying TAZ, onto the first Rockport Limited ep now. Challenge in Moonlighting ep 2 was the first battle sequence I thought was really cool and entertaining. god drat the ad sections can be fuckin long though, one in ep 10 is something like 10 minutes

Serf
May 5, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

really enjoying TAZ, onto the first Rockport Limited ep now. Challenge in Moonlighting ep 2 was the first battle sequence I thought was really cool and entertaining. god drat the ad sections can be fuckin long though, one in ep 10 is something like 10 minutes

That's why I appreciate Overcast letting me jump forward in 30 second increments. I can usually cut a Money Zone down to about twenty seconds of jumping forward.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's easier once Griffin starts putting in a soundtrack, you can just skip until you hear the musical stings.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
taako's quest was very funny and i miss it:

https://youtu.be/3UoKorsK3EY

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Holy poo poo. I remember this drawing from way back. He even gave him a missing tooth.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
i present this soothing balm, please enjoy it as much as i

https://twitter.com/Worthikids/status/848051548873662464

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
HELLO METAL HUSBAND

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I just happened to be listening to episode 120 of MBMBaM, and boy we've come a long way from the boys joking about nonsensical stereotypes for someone who is hypothetically 1/27th Latin-American and Latino people hording the concept of American jobs away in a secret landfill.

The bit also has a very solid Travis Moment:

quote:

Justin: Manny's the fat baby on, uh, Chuckle Family? What's that loving poo poo called?
Griffin: Yeah, Chuckle Family.
Travis: Uh, Family Matters. (Griffin and Justin laugh)
Justin: I don't think...I don't think it's Family Matters.
Travis: Modern Warfare?
Justin: (wheezing through laughter) You dummy!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

if you want to hear the mcelroy boys say terrible things well have I got you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjiyLOzCWag

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
Travis' sports team checkbook joke in my dad my dad and me might be my new favorite.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I started episode 13 of TAZ and god dammit if the hardest I've laughed at this entire podcast so far isn't the incredibly cheap "Jenkins, can I go to your mom's house?"/laughing at Jenkins pulling out his rod stuff

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Escobarbarian posted:

Well I started episode 13 of TAZ and god dammit if the hardest I've laughed at this entire podcast so far isn't the incredibly cheap "Jenkins, can I go to your mom's house?"/laughing at Jenkins pulling out his rod stuff

Jenkins is easily the biggest reason why Rockford Unlimited is still high up in my favorite arcs.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPcLyBkZNQM

Monster Factory Wrestling Federation starting now

vvv Yeah, youtube archives streams

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 2, 2017

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPcLyBkZNQM

Monster Factory Wrestling Federation starts in about an hour

This is gonna get archived after the fact, right? I might not be around the whole time...

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

"Chiquita Dave has shattered the chaos emerald and revealed his true form, which is identical to his previous form."

This is starting well.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Maybe it's just me, but the stream is unwatchably choppy. Are Youtube streams always this bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Saffron Pile-on

Yeah it's laggy as poo poo

Edit: And now they zagged by going back to the intro B-roll video. A bold move.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 2, 2017