Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Lynels are easy, if rather tedious given their 5k health. But you just need to equip a 30+ oh or 45+ th and whail on it, dodging as much as possible and giving the thunder special once or twice. It's just a 5 minute fight, though I do need to do it 3-5 more times for the final 5 guts I need for it. Insects are a pain, yeah, but its really just 30 minutes of exploration, and I periodically run through north hyrule and the castle to get drat shafts and cores. I have like a hundred screws and 40 gears or so but shafts really give you the 'shaft' :iamafag:

Moldugas are my favorite 'boss' enemy since you just shower them with bombs from a phrenic or similar bow and whack them with a royal broadmore or whatever. But all I need to finish up my gear is some misc plants, a few more minerals, loving lizalfos tails of various colors i'll have to get chasing dragons, some more drat fire butterflies, 5 lynel guts, a couple shards from all the dragons, and ancient gear.

I bet you all I'll get all but like 3 or 4 armor upgraded before I find another star fragment... You need like 15 or 20 overall to upgrade everything which is outrageous. Why the gently caress don't they have these are rewards in blessing shrines rather than a loving opal or arrows or some poo poo like that :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I started a new game and saw a star fall way off in the distance and it actually made me kinda angry. They're not hard to get, it just takes a while farming them.

Copper Vein posted:

What is up with the enemy spawning in the new patch?

I've had two Yigas spawn n me several times tonight. Once I had two Yigas spawn as three skeletons jumped out of the ground as soon as I swam to shore. Never seen spawning like that before in 100+ hours.

I just had two skeletal moblins and two keese spawn literally right after aggroing a guardian near hyrule castle. I died, went back to the guardian from a wider angle to avoid any keese, and the same thing happened.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I get Yiga's spawning every couple of minutes. I figured it was due to finishing their mission (Saw like 4 total before that) but it's super annoying unless they have that awesome circle blade.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Section Z posted:

I still had to go out of my way to camp out for my second star. Because the only star I had naturally was some quest reward, because Murphy's law meant every single naturally occurring star in the game was one I'd barely not make it right as I was sprinting the last 20 feet.

But you can basically force star farming just by sitting around, when you need to. It's boring, but still "Easier" than if you had procrastinated on your Barbarian fashion and need a bunch of Lynel parts now that they are mostly silver instead of mostly white maned. Or thinking "Where the gently caress do I find stealthfin fish? Fittingly I've never seen one before." to upgrade your ninja pants.

I had a run of them dropping in Hyrule Plain, so it was an easy glide from the tower with a bit of laser-dodging. The latest one dropped onto a ledge on Hylia Bridge and fell off as I approached though, which was bloody infuriating. Was I supposed to cryonis up a catcher as soon as I was in range, or was it just randomly-generated perversity?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Moldugas are my favorite 'boss' enemy since you just shower them with bombs from a phrenic or similar bow and whack them with a royal broadmore or whatever. But all I need to finish up my gear is some misc plants, a few more minerals, loving lizalfos tails of various colors i'll have to get chasing dragons, some more drat fire butterflies, 5 lynel guts, a couple shards from all the dragons, and ancient gear.

Argh don't talk to me about loving smotherwing butterflies.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Runcible Cat posted:

I had a run of them dropping in Hyrule Plain, so it was an easy glide from the tower with a bit of laser-dodging. The latest one dropped onto a ledge on Hylia Bridge and fell off as I approached though, which was bloody infuriating. Was I supposed to cryonis up a catcher as soon as I was in range, or was it just randomly-generated perversity?

Argh don't talk to me about loving smotherwing butterflies.

Yeah, those drat things :(

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Now that there are essentially three different types of Zelda (2D, 3D, and Open World), I'd love to see Nintendo do some 3D Zelds as interim games. I feel like a lot of weight is off those titles now, and they can get weirder and more experimental with them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lynels are easy, if rather tedious given their 5k health. But you just need to equip a 30+ oh or 45+ th and whail on it, dodging as much as possible and giving the thunder special once or twice. It's just a 5 minute fight, though I do need to do it 3-5 more times for the final 5 guts I need for it. Insects are a pain, yeah, but its really just 30 minutes of exploration, and I periodically run through north hyrule and the castle to get drat shafts and cores. I have like a hundred screws and 40 gears or so but shafts really give you the 'shaft' :iamafag:

That sounds way too much like Monster Hunter for me to find that enjoyable.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Now that there are essentially three different types of Zelda (2D, 3D, and Open World), I'd love to see Nintendo do some 3D Zelds as interim games. I feel like a lot of weight is off those titles now, and they can get weirder and more experimental with them.

I don't really see BotW as being that radically different, at least half of the ideas present in the game were there in previous games, they're just put together in a very unique way this time.

But yeah, if they went back to the more traditional dungeons-and-gate-keeping-items style of earlier games I can totally see them knocking it out of the park now that they realize we don't need no sticking Fi hovering over our shoulder explaining how to play the game while we're play it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The funny thing is, is that I find monster hunter boring as gently caress. I admit, I hate fighting lynels and try to avoid them whenever possible, but moldugas are literally dead within 30 seconds-- they aren't annoying.

Running through the guardian haunts is a fun way to blow off steam since when I come across a fully walking big guy I cut all its legs off one by one with a couple swipes of the master sword which constantly stuns it and then cripples it :3

BTW I somehow 'hacked' a guardian to shoot its laser on command whenever i hit it with the master sword. How the gently caress did that happen? Does it only work when you sneak up on it? And is there any way to control where it aims without waiting for the eye to track where you want it?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lynels are easy, if rather tedious given their 5k health.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That sounds way too much like Monster Hunter for me to find that enjoyable.

When the posters defending something still call it "Tedious", it makes me feel better for having nothing but distaste for Silver enemies of all sorts.

I had a great time when it was the point where the majority of scaling enemies are black with royal gear, or White mane Lynels. All who could still carve several hearts off me even with rank 4 armor (Saying stuff like "Oh, it's only 5 hearts when a Moblin stabs me with a dual blade :rolleyes:" is pretty disingenuous, that's still a lot of damage even at 20 hearts and up). But still not enough HP to make it feel like bullshit unless I was fighting groups of unarmed/archer Lizals with no real equipment payoff.

But silver enemies are just... Ugh. Okay, you take more hits to kill. I'm not any more "skilled" for beating you, I'm just willing to put up with you longer because even blue enemies are sporting sweet damage+ royal weaponry. Or are Lynels armed based on their location (Hence, Silver Lynels with spears being pushovers, while a "weaker" one with a big hammer can still gently caress you up).

So any replays, I'm going to try and work out what that sweet spot of divine beasts beaten and upgrades is. So I can populate the world with a bunch of White Maned Lynels and Black Lizals ASAP, but not really worry about seeing Silver ones outside of Hyrule castle or other niche locations. Fighting blue or White mane Lynels was cool, trying not to gently caress up against surprisingly dangerous packs of black bokoblins with spears was cool. Snapping my champion weapons in half on silver moblins, not so much.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 1, 2017

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Does the Mastersword break? Or does it just "drain" and become useless for a bit?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Stringbean posted:

Does the Mastersword break? Or does it just "drain" and become useless for a bit?

The latter. 10 minute cooldown after it's drained and only after it's been drained.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
IIRC it doesn't take durability hits or drain when fighting cannon corruption bad guys or in dungeons...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

IIRC it doesn't take durability hits or drain when fighting cannon corruption bad guys or in dungeons...

It still loses durability. When it's lit up it's durability is strengthened to a large degree. I got the nearly drained message when fighting Calamity Ganon after exploring the entirety of Hyrule Castle.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stringbean posted:

It's like 8-bit said, yeah. Even if you Only use it on stalker guardians. Fun fact I keep in mind for that, only spoilered because we're spoilering master sword chat at the moment Guardian weapons only need one swing to chop off stalker legs, even when less damaging. Master sword needs two.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 1, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

BurntCornMuffin posted:

About the Message in a Bottle quest... did I just hook a middle aged guy up with a zora child? What the gently caress, Nintendo?!?

Torquemadras posted:

Message in a Bottle sidequest is seriously weird :stare:

Didn't expect to enable a pedophile fishfucker

For gently caress's sake, people, talk to Finley before cleansing Vah Ruta and she will straight up tell you she's an adult and just hasn't hit her growth spurt yet.

poo poo, talk to the Hylian after the quest and he'll directly say that she's older than him.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Deviant posted:

I keep hearing what sounds like a beeping I can't pin down. What is it? It's not the shrine sensor, and I don't have the sensor+ yet..

Still can't figure it out, still losing my sanity.

Lots of good sound cues though. "Huh, I need to find 10 cricke-oh, i hear one."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Shadowlyger posted:

For gently caress's sake, people, talk to Finley before cleansing Vah Ruta and she will straight up tell you she's an adult and just hasn't hit her growth spurt yet.

poo poo, talk to the Hylian after the quest and he'll directly say that she's older than him.

It still reeks of the ol' thousand year old spirit in a minor's body excuse ala a surprisingly worrying amount of fire emblem characters

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Calaveron posted:

It still reeks of the ol' thousand year old spirit in a minor's body excuse ala a surprisingly worrying amount of fire emblem characters

The primary difference is that Finley actually has a growth spurt at some point in the near future, as opposed to looking like that forever.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

The primary difference is that Finley actually has a growth spurt at some point in the near future, as opposed to looking like that forever.

So will children.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, it's still kinda weird. I think they were going for more of a funny-weird than gross-weird, but they didn't quite hit the mark. Dude still comes off as a pedo because she looks like a child. It would've been funny if he'd turned her down upon seeing her you left them arguing, ie: "You said you had muscles!" "You said YOU were an adult!" "I am! We have different life cycles!" "Whatever you say, kiddo." "Don't call me kiddo, scrawny, I'm older than YOU!"

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I think we can all agree star fragments are the biggest pita ingredient. Getting dragon parts is a cake walk and I can basically stroll up and farm them at perfect spots as much as I want, but star fragments require 7-8 day skips on top of a giant rear end hike to get one.

Here's the secret to farming Star Fragments:

Teleport to a really tall location - I prefer the Shee Vaneer shrine on top of the Dueling Peaks. Drop a campfire on the spot and use it to wait until nightfall. As soon as the game loads, go to the system menu, save the game, and then fully exit the game by returning to the Home Menu and closing the application. Then start the game again and load your save. This resets the game's internal timer for spawning a new Star Fragment and makes it very likely that you will get one that night. (No 7-8 day skips required - I consistently got them to spawn during all moon phases this way.)

Stand at the tallest point of your current location, aim Link at the biggest flat and open area you can see from your vantage point, then set the controller down and wait. The fragment should fall within your field of view. Use the Shiekah Slate's zoom to mark where it fell, then check your map. If it's close to another shrine, teleport there. Otherwise, jump off your vantage point and glide to it. Repeat this until you have a satisfying hoard of fragments. I'm now rocking fully-upgraded Ocarina of Time amiibo armor thanks to this and am debating doing the same for the Twilight Princess set.

Also, the dog in Lurelin Village is the best dog. Try feeding it four or five times.

As for getting dragon parts, those dudes always spawn at dawn, so it's easy to encounter them by finding a good spot where they pass by and using a campfire to wait until morning. If you'd rather not deal with shooting them, their parts are in chests scattered around and inside Hyrule Castle.

andipossess posted:

As far as I know, the trailer music is absent from the game.

It plays during the credits. That weird-rear end skip in the middle of the song is in the game, too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Roundabout Route posted:

Here's the secret to farming Star Fragments:

Teleport to a really tall location - I prefer the Shee Vaneer shrine on top of the Dueling Peaks. Drop a campfire on the spot and use it to wait until nightfall. As soon as the game loads, go to the system menu, save the game, and then fully exit the game by returning to the Home Menu and closing the application. Then start the game again and load your save. This resets the game's internal timer for spawning a new Star Fragment and makes it very likely that you will get one that night. (No 7-8 day skips required - I consistently got them to spawn during all moon phases this way.)

Stand at the tallest point of your current location, aim Link at the biggest flat and open area you can see from your vantage point, then set the controller down and wait. The fragment should fall within your field of view. Use the Shiekah Slate's zoom to mark where it fell, then check your map. If it's close to another shrine, teleport there. Otherwise, jump off your vantage point and glide to it. Repeat this until you have a satisfying hoard of fragments. I'm now rocking fully-upgraded Ocarina of Time amiibo armor thanks to this and am debating doing the same for the Twilight Princess set.

Also, the dog in Lurelin Village is the best dog. Try feeding it four or five times.

As for getting dragon parts, those dudes always spawn at dawn, so it's easy to encounter them by finding a good spot where they pass by and using a campfire to wait until morning. If you'd rather not deal with shooting them, their parts are in chests scattered around and inside Hyrule Castle.

It plays during the credits. That weird-rear end skip in the middle of the song is in the game, too.

I think he means the music that plays in the trailer they used for the January switch presentation which I'd link if I weren't on mobile
It's the one with the narration

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Roundabout Route posted:

Yep, it's even that way on the OST. I guess it's just supposed to be intentionally jarring or something?

Also, snippets of the trailer music melody play in various places. The main melody plays during the Dark Beast Ganon fight, and all of Kass's shrine songs are snippets of that melody, too.

Calaveron posted:

I think he means the music that plays in the trailer they used for the January switch presentation which I'd link if I weren't on mobile
It's the one with the narration

Ohh yeah, I don't think that one's in the game. Or the soundtrack. Which sucks because it's really good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Second dragon encounter: southwest of Mount Floria, at Riola spring. got the notice there was a shrine so I was looking around and it literally burst out of the water :stare: I don't know what to even do with them and it was spraying me with electricity so I just ran around and watched it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

Second dragon encounter: southwest of Mount Floria, at Riola spring. got the notice there was a shrine so I was looking around and it literally burst out of the water :stare: I don't know what to even do with them and it was spraying me with electricity so I just ran around and watched it

If you want to know what to do, we can tell you in avoid-spoilers-as-much-as-possible fashion, but I respect wanting to figure it out on your own, too.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I'm also bothered by the 100 year old kawaii scientist in a child's body. This game has all kinds of creepy sexual fetishes though if you also take into account the giant fairies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RVWinkle posted:

I'm also bothered by the 100 year old kawaii scientist in a child's body. This game has all kinds of creepy sexual fetishes though if you also take into account the giant fairies.

I don't feel like she was supposed to be sexual in any way, though (the scientist, not the fairies). She's just kind of silly, but a different kind of silly from Robbie. Also it's funny that they're the same size.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Forgotten Temple is brutal. Even if I provoke a single Guardian with an arrow, it's too far away to reliably deflect the beam. Ended up breaking two shields and eating four of my max heals before giving up and going to farm some ancient arrows.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

3d has turned into this "open world" format...it's the same thing but done a hell of a lot better. I don't ever imagine them going back to what they've done earlier and tbh I don't think they should

bef fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 1, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twilight Princess update: Lakebed Temple was pretty cool. I wish the bosses posed more of a threat because there are some pretty neat ideas in their design and how you fight them. Morpheel was fun but there wasn't really any point at which I felt like it could actually damage me.

bef posted:

3d has turned into this "open world" format...it's the same thing but done a hell of a lot better. I don't ever imagine them going back to what they've done earlier

I could see them ditching the mini-dungeons format of Breath of the Wild and making a slightly smaller open world but with bigger, more intricate dungeons again. But other than that, I'd be surprised to see the next major Zelda game go back to the Ocarina of Time-through-Skyward Sword way of doing things. (Technically Link to the Past started it but I'm talking 3D here.)

It's possible they could make a smaller-budget 3D Zelda, though I kind of doubt it--"smaller budget" and "3D" don't really go together for a company like Nintendo. Even something with Wind Waker's low-detail style takes a lot of work and resources to make look good. I'm also pretty sure that we'll see another 2D Zelda before the next big 3D one, though, or at least I hope we will. Link Between Worlds was really fun and I'd like to see something else follow up on that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 1, 2017

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah if they added real dungeons with the open world format it would be fantastic. I'm also very eager to play a new 2d since albw is probably tied with links awakening for my favorite top down

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BJPaskoff posted:

The Forgotten Temple is brutal. Even if I provoke a single Guardian with an arrow, it's too far away to reliably deflect the beam. Ended up breaking two shields and eating four of my max heals before giving up and going to farm some ancient arrows.

The way to cheese it is they're all just turrets and none of them has a 360 degrees field. Load yourself with defense and run/glide like gently caress to the shrine at the end (there are updrafts to ride), then it's trivial to go back and wreck them one by one from behind.

It's a great farming spot for ancient parts once you twig that.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

RVWinkle posted:

What you seem to be forgetting is that literally anything can be a creepy sexual fetish. It is unavoidable. I admire Nintendo for throwing so much stupid, wacky, and goofy poo poo in the game over the protests of those fans that read too much into everything.

Notice how Link is not at all thrilled by Great Fairy shenanigans. If this were pandering to a fetish, he'd pop a boner or at least look somewhat pleased, not scream in terror and faint.

Harrow posted:

Twilight Princess update: Lakebed Temple was pretty cool. I wish the bosses posed more of a threat because there are some pretty neat ideas in their design and how you fight them. Morpheel was fun but there wasn't really any point at which I felt like it could actually damage me.

They all suffer from Zelda Formula Syndrome, whereby if you remember the big important weapon/tool you acquired in the dungeon then you have completed 50% of the work towards figuring out how to beat them. Breath of the Wild tried to fix this by making all of the bosses more generic and beatable using just the base set of tools it provides you at the beginning of the game, which I'm not sure is a better solution since it means each boss is less interesting and memorable.

My favorite Twilight Princess boss was probably in the Arbiter's Grounds. It was wild and exciting, like a roller coaster. There is nothing like it in BoTW, which is especially frustrating since the game could've easily had something similar with mine carts.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

BJPaskoff posted:

You can just fly across, like a total badass. As long as you're moving, they can't really hit you.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Shadowlyger posted:

Lol. 1000 year old dragon in a 10 year old body. Its totally moral to bang.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

If you want to know what to do, we can tell you in avoid-spoilers-as-much-as-possible fashion, but I respect wanting to figure it out on your own, too.

Maybe just like, regions to check out to get things started, unless that is too spoilery? I don't want to get told what to do but places to look to start those quests would be nice, I feel like I'm running around aimlessly right now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BJPaskoff posted:

I handled this by sneaking up to the guardians and handling them up close one at a time

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Beat Zelda

Zelda Good

(ganon kinda super sucked but ehhhhhhh whatevs)

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Bombadilillo posted:

Lol. 1000 year old dragon in a 10 year old body. Its totally moral to bang.

Just once I want to see Japan try to pull the inverse and stick a 10-year-old mind inside of an old wrinkly grandma

a.k.a. dementia

GobiasIndustries posted:

Maybe just like, regions to check out to get things started, unless that is too spoilery? I don't want to get told what to do but places to look to start those quests would be nice, I feel like I'm running around aimlessly right now.

There's just one "quest" for those guys. Here's three hints for how to start it, in increasing levels of spoilery-ness:

Spoiler Hint #1: The quest starts when you climb a certain mountain.

Spoiler Hint #2: The mountain is in Necluda.

Spoiler Hint #3: Look for the tall, spiky mountain due east of Kakariko Village. It's called Mount Lanayru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Runcible Cat posted:

It's a great farming spot for ancient parts once you twig that.

Keep in mind, Decayed Guardians never drop cores. But yeah it's great for the rest of the parts.

After spending way too much time killing green Lizals asking myself "Why won't tails drop!?", I've always been double checking my compendium to see if things drop stuff in the first place :downs: