Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So another idea I had was a Firespray with Emon for spamming the board with cluster mines. Can't really think of many ships to accompany him, though. Also I like the idea of a tractor beam to bump enemy ships into said mines.

Fenn Rau (28)
Fearlessness (1)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Emon Azzameen (36)
Tractor Beam (1)
Cluster Mines (4)
Bombardier (1)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)
Cluster Mines (4)
Cluster Mines (4)
Andrasta (0)

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Is there friendly fire with mines? I forget, I haven't experimented with mines in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

This list is the new edition of rebel toolkit, and I look forward to my first game against it. I have a good feeling that my list can put out the amount of firepower required and defense needed to win the damage game. I'll largely be dice, I think, and whether I can successfully set up the bump on Biggs with the Falcon to drop Roark. I think he's the man behind Biggs' curtain on this one.

lol if you run Biggs in the front of the squad where he can be bumped.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Pretty new to this game and looking to join my first local league next week. Looking at using this list with Unkar setting up targets for Kath while Fenn does Fenn stuff.

Can somebody explain why it's bad and I should just fly mindlinks instead? Competition looks to be mostly Parattani and Biggs lists.

Unkar Plutt (17)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Spacetug Tractor Array (2)

Kath Scarlet (Scum) (38)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Dengar (3)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Fenn Rau (28)
Fearlessness (1)
Autothrusters (2)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zigmoose posted:

Pretty new to this game and looking to join my first local league next week. Looking at using this list with Unkar setting up targets for Kath while Fenn does Fenn stuff.

Can somebody explain why it's bad and I should just fly mindlinks instead? Competition looks to be mostly Parattani and Biggs lists.

Unkar Plutt (17)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Spacetug Tractor Array (2)

Kath Scarlet (Scum) (38)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Dengar (3)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Fenn Rau (28)
Fearlessness (1)
Autothrusters (2)

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!232:-1,-1,204,-1:-1:30:;117:27,-1,-1,178,-1,108:-1:3:;212:188,-1:43:15:&sn=Kath%20and%20Friends%203.30]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

I'd find a way to get an intel agent on Unkar. Maybe drop to Adaptability or Trick Shot on Kath.

Otherwise, looks fine. Games with that list are going to be over very, very quickly.

IronSaber posted:

So another idea I had was a Firespray with Emon for spamming the board with cluster mines. Can't really think of many ships to accompany him, though. Also I like the idea of a tractor beam to bump enemy ships into said mines.

Fenn Rau (28)
Fearlessness (1)

Emon Azzameen (36)
Tractor Beam (1)
Cluster Mines (4)
Bombardier (1)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)
Cluster Mines (4)
Cluster Mines (4)
Andrasta (0)

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)

Is there friendly fire with mines? I forget, I haven't experimented with mines in a while.

Yes, mines can and will affect any ship that runs over them. Even your own. I'd put serious consideration into dropping Andrasta and two cluster mines in favor of Slave 1 and Extra Munitions. You only get two cluster mines, but it costs 6 points less, which you can use for a homing missile/guidance chips on N'Dru and the title on Fenn

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd find a way to get an intel agent on Unkar. Maybe drop to Adaptability or Trick Shot on Kath.

Otherwise, looks fine. Games with that list are going to be over very, very quickly.

Yes, mines can and will affect any ship that runs over them. Even your own. I'd put serious consideration into dropping Andrasta and two cluster mines in favor of Slave 1 and Extra Munitions. You only get two cluster mines, but it costs 6 points less, which you can use for a homing missile/guidance chips on N'Dru and the title on Fenn

I already have the title on Fenn, but I did drop the Rigged Cargo Chute on Emon so I could stick Autothrusters on Fenn.

IronSaber fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 31, 2017

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

ConfusedUs posted:

Thanks, I'll try it out with Intel and Adaptability. PS8 should be enough to deal with anything except other Fenns.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
That magic moment when you suddenly realize that you've been using stealth devices all wrong, and that flying over asteroids, debris fields, or mines, don't make them go away.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

That magic moment when you suddenly realize that you've been using stealth devices all wrong, and that flying over asteroids, debris fields, or mines, don't make them go away.

Yeah, you gotta be hit by an attack for it to go away.

Vader crew, for example, won't strip it either.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

You also don't lose them from Feedback Array.

I learned that hard way after losing a tournament game where I ran triple Royal Interceptors with Stealth Devices.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Is Wedge any good? He seems nifty but I'm not sure what to pair him with.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Wedge'll die fast, but he sure can pack a punch before he get shot down. Anyway, the true answer is Biggs and Wes for X Wing Supremacy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Iceclaw posted:

Wedge'll die fast, but he sure can pack a punch before he get shot down. Anyway, the true answer is Biggs and Wes for X Wing Supremacy.

Luke and Wes. PS 9/10/10 supremacy.

I miss that list being good, but with the changes to Zuckuss, Manaroo, and X7 it might be worth it again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cobaltshift posted:

Is Wedge any good? He seems nifty but I'm not sure what to pair him with.

Strobe is the local T-65 expert, but I'll give you my thoughts (that I've mostly stolen from Strobe).

Wedge "Motherfucking" Antilles can be great, with the right build and support. His ability is incredibly powerful, as straight-up removing defense dice means you'll be landing more shots, forcing through more crits, and doing that much more damage every time he shoots. Take him with an R2 Astro and Predator, and you've got a genuine offensive powerhouse with a great dial. The downside is that he's on a T-65, which is pretty fragile even with the Integrated Astro modification. This, plus Wedge's status as a high-priority target, means that it's very likely he's going to get alpha-striked off the board in the first couple of turns if you're not careful.

A classic combination, as mentioned, is Biggs. Biggs allows you to keep Wedge alive and dangerous through the merge, and potentially even longer. Wes is another great wingman-his ability allows you to strip target locks and focuses that would otherwise be used to kick Wedge's poo poo in, and when modified to PS9 or 10 via adaptability or VI, he can help Wedge hit even harder by stripping focuses and evades, hampering the target's ability to defend themselves.

To give you an example of a list you could fly, one list I used to some success last weekend at a local tournament was:

X-Wing: · Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
X-Wing: · Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
· R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
X-Wing: · Luke Skywalker (28)
Draw Their Fire (1)
· R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)
-- TOTAL ------- 98p. --

Basically, Luke works as a quasi-Biggs, absorbing damage and deflecting fire from the rest of the squad while Wes and Wedge go to work, keeping in tight formation to concentrate fire. For the most part, it worked-I ended up going 3-1 and getting second, only losing to a guy who almost went 4-0 and only lost his final match when his last Jumpmaster couldn't kill a nearly-dead Fenn Rau (and ended up getting third on MOV, hilariously)

To expand on that last point, though: Watch out for Jumpmasters. They're giant pains in the rear end to deal with on a normal day, and X-Wings in particular have difficulty fighting them, since they're pretty drat tough and have a great dial to go with it.

Anyway, tl;dr Wedge is Cool and Good, definitely use him, but he will explode violently if you're not careful

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It makes me even more sad that his actor wasn't interested in TFA and so we'll probably never get Wedge in a T-70.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wedge in a T-70 would have been truly excellent, and I weep for lost possibilities.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It makes me even more sad that his actor wasn't interested in TFA and so we'll probably never get Wedge in a T-70.

Maybe one day if they throw enough Disney Dollars at him he'll appear in one of the 25 other planned Star Wars episodes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

AndyElusive posted:

Maybe one day if they throw enough Disney Dollars at him he'll appear in one of the 25 other planned Star Wars episodes.

I'm still holding out for a straight-up Rogue Squadron movie.

one day....

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Strobe is the local T-65 expert, but I'll give you my thoughts (that I've mostly stolen from Strobe).

Wedge "Motherfucking" Antilles can be great, with the right build and support. His ability is incredibly powerful, as straight-up removing defense dice means you'll be landing more shots, forcing through more crits, and doing that much more damage every time he shoots. Take him with an R2 Astro and Predator, and you've got a genuine offensive powerhouse with a great dial. The downside is that he's on a T-65, which is pretty fragile even with the Integrated Astro modification. This, plus Wedge's status as a high-priority target, means that it's very likely he's going to get alpha-striked off the board in the first couple of turns if you're not careful.

A classic combination, as mentioned, is Biggs. Biggs allows you to keep Wedge alive and dangerous through the merge, and potentially even longer. Wes is another great wingman-his ability allows you to strip target locks and focuses that would otherwise be used to kick Wedge's poo poo in, and when modified to PS9 or 10 via adaptability or VI, he can help Wedge hit even harder by stripping focuses and evades, hampering the target's ability to defend themselves.

To give you an example of a list you could fly, one list I used to some success last weekend at a local tournament was:

X-Wing: · Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
X-Wing: · Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
· R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
X-Wing: · Luke Skywalker (28)
Draw Their Fire (1)
· R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)
-- TOTAL ------- 98p. --

Basically, Luke works as a quasi-Biggs, absorbing damage and deflecting fire from the rest of the squad while Wes and Wedge go to work, keeping in tight formation to concentrate fire. For the most part, it worked-I ended up going 3-1 and getting second, only losing to a guy who almost went 4-0 and only lost his final match when his last Jumpmaster couldn't kill a nearly-dead Fenn Rau (and ended up getting third on MOV, hilariously)

To expand on that last point, though: Watch out for Jumpmasters. They're giant pains in the rear end to deal with on a normal day, and X-Wings in particular have difficulty fighting them, since they're pretty drat tough and have a great dial to go with it.

Anyway, tl;dr Wedge is Cool and Good, definitely use him, but he will explode violently if you're not careful

Awesome, thanks. Gives me a better idea what to do with him!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wedge would be a wrecking ball in a decent ship.
I hope he shows up in Rebels in a protectorate fighter

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
It's so hard to play the T-65 after playing the T-70 because that 3 T-roll is so, so, so loving good IMO. I miss it on every ship that doesn't have it. I also can't stand that all it has is target lock and focus, no post-maneuver position adjustment is a ship-killer for me and that sucks because I love the classic X-Wing. The T-70 is by far my favorite Rebel ship hands down, especially when piloted by NOTED BEAUTIFUL HUMAN FEMALE Ello Asty who can just T-roll all over the loving place without a second thought.

It's always annoyed me that the T-65 doesn't have it. The picture for Tallon roll on Wookiepedia shows a T-65. Adar Tallon apparently created it before the TIE Fighter was even developed! It's been talked and written about as an X-Wing maneuver for almost 40 years.

And the X-Wing can't do it. :(

Oh well, at least I can just spend like 2 more points and get a blue-colored one that does have it. And boost. And another shield. And more green maneuvers. And can be piloted by NOTED BEAUTIFUL HUMAN FEMALE Ello Asty.

But I'd ditch all that extra poo poo in a second to be able to T-roll in behind someone with Luke Skywalker and turn them to dust in the OG X-Wing.

I guess the T-65 will always have Biggs "HE HATE ME" Darklighter.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cobaltshift posted:

Awesome, thanks. Gives me a better idea what to do with him!

No problem! Strobe also had a massive post on potential ways to kit out Wedge that's definitely worth looking over if you've got the time. It gave me some ideas, at the very least!

also Strobe how do you have 50 pages worth of posts in this thread jesus christ

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would 1000000% buy a new T-65 if FFG produced it and sold it in its own expansion, and gave it a few buffs like a Tallon Roll and boost action. If they kept the points the same it'd arguably not even be overpowered between more green on the T-70's dial, an extra shield, and a tech slot. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ello Atsy is neither human nor female.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

A real babe in the Alt Art

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

There are rumors, lies, and photoshopped cards that claim that Ello is some sort of hideous dick-faced alien, but it's well-known among everyone in the world that she is a NOTED BEAUTIFUL HUMAN FEMALE.

At least that's what the name "Ello Asty" said to me when I started playing and so I decided that's what she was and after playing her in about 90% of my Rebel lists I refuse to accept she's a Ballchinian or whatever weird thing is on those obviously false photoshopped cards. :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

canyoneer posted:

A real babe in the Alt Art

I think you mean Red Ace

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think you mean Red Ace

Dat rear end rot

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Wow

Mods?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

So uh

It seems Sabine owns a lot of spacecraft.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Oh April Fools, will you ever stop?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

canyonero posted:

Oh April Fools, will you ever stop?

Ah, forgot about that. Thought the website glitched out there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I've been watching this video about how to use Vassal by this dude from Slingpaint and he pronounces it "Say Bean" and I can't tell if he's doing it on purpose or not.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never seen the show, is​ it not?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nope. "Sa-been."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wEbmn5p08g

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat
OK so last night I had 6 people get drunk and play free-for-all X-Wing inside the DISASTRO-CATASTRO GRAVITY ARENA and holy poo poo was it ever fun, if extremely chaotic and insane. I present here the rules for said gravity arena in case any of you would like to play.

1.The DCGA is 1 standard 3' x 3' mat.
2.Put a minimum of 12 obstacles, 3 individual cluster mine tokens, and 3 proximity mines on the board. They may be placed anywhere so long as they are range 1 from any other obstacle.
3.Designate a side of the map as the "top" or 12 o'clock. Players roll a d12 and set their ship up within range 1 of their number on the "clock face" of the map.
4.Play proceeds normally for the first turn. Anyone can shoot at anyone, there are no teams, and anyone who proposes a loving alliance or a team-up has their ship magically disintegrate and everyone calls them an rear end in a top hat. You can try to convince someone not to shoot at you (Hey man, I still have 2 shields while he's at 2 hull, better chance of critting him than me!) but absolutely no Monopoly-esque "I'll give you immunity!" team-up horseshit.
5.At the end of the first turn, roll a d6. On a 1, nothing happens. On anything else, it's a GRAVITY SHIFT! Designate one map edge as 1, 2, 3, and 4. Roll a d4. Every obstacle on the board moves 1 base template in that direction. Resolve collisions as normal. If a mine goes off, it is removed, asteroids and debris clouds remain. If you would like less chaos and more tactical planning, don't roll a d4 and just designate one edge everything moves towards the rest of the game, but I'd recommend still rolling the d6 to see if the grav shift happens.
6.If an obstacle or ship moves off the edge of the board, it comes in on the opposite edge. For ships, we used a straightedge to come in on the same vertical line they would fly off on. Obstacles only move in the cardinal directions so you can just eyeball it.
7.Do not be anal about the position of obstacles, and in fact feel free to change how they lay on the board when you move them to represent them tumbling through space. This means they may clump up or spread out. Deal with it!

This really works best if you have one person as "GM" who handles moving the obstacles and judging movement, board edge returns, etc. We chose ships randomly from a pool of a dozen, no unique pilots, no upgrades, anyone who got a ship below 20 points added 1 shield to their card. Our contestants were an E-Wing, T-70, TIE Interceptor, TIE Defender, Starviper, and Protectorate Starfighter.

Highlights included:

The Starviper flying out into the middle of the board on round 1 and basically getting blasted to 1 hull almost immediately. (Note: Even though it is a free-for-all, it is not recommended to try and take on everyone at once.)

The TIE Interceptor getting hit by an asteroid at the end of one turn and then flying into a cluster mine next turn before being hit by another asteroid at the end of that turn. It was a rough 3-4 seconds for that pilot, poo poo.

The TIE Defender player smartly mostly hiding behind asteroids as the others beat the poo poo out of each other, only to prematurely declare victory when all that was left on the board were the damaged E- and X-Wings and he was untouched. At the end of that turn, he got hit by a proximity mine and lost all his shields, made a k-turn that landed him on an asteroid, knocking him to 2 hull, and the failure of his k-turn meant both Rebels were behind him and they put aside their animosity for a moment to kill him. His expression was best described as "crestfallen."

The game came down to a 1 hull E-Wing vs. a 1 hull T-70. The T-70 got a 3-crit roll on the E-Wing from behind, to which the E-Wing rolled 4 natural evades. The next turn the E-Wing player took a calculated risk and flew through an asteroid to set up a shot on the T-70 and unfortunately blew the gently caress up while doing it.

It was some of the most fun I've had with X-Wing and took me back to my college days, building ridiculous 5-color 300-card Magic decks and playing free-for-all Magic with a bunch of friends.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
That sounds incredibly fun and makes me sad I just moved away from all my X-Wing friends

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Taking apart every single dial I own and labeling them for the plastic dial upgrades is kind of a pain. At least imperials and scum are done, so just johnny reb left to do.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

By failure of a K-turn, do you mean it's because he couldn't shoot? K-turning onto an obstacle still turns you around, bumping a ship doesn't.

Sorry, your drunken night of fun X-wing is considered null and void, you'll have to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

He didn't appear in TFA because he didn't want to just have a cameo, not because there wasn't enough money

• Locked thread