Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I thought that only pertained to DX10/11, and DX12 was a clean-sheet design without all that AMD legacy cruft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

I thought that only pertained to DX10/11, and DX12 was a clean-sheet design without all that AMD legacy cruft?

I haven't seen it extensively tested, but Hardware Unboxed did notice that AMD still had higher CPU overhead in Doom/Vulkan:

There might be some inefficiency in the backend of the driver that's common to all APIs.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Huh, that's interesting, maybe, like you said, it's intrinsic to GCN. Definitely hitting the CPU harder.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Update on the Ashes benchmark discrepancy: it looks like the game silently scales the detail level based on the number of cores available. And Oxide didn't think to tell anyone this or make it configurable :doh:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/commoncfm/comparison/clickSwitch.cfm?id=138531

i'm sure hexa/octa-core owners will be thrilled that oxide has blessed them with particle rendering from 500 miles away at the low low cost of half their fps

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 31, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jesus Christ.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Another benchmark showing 30% DX12 gains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBf2lvfKkxA

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Update on the Ashes benchmark discrepancy: it looks like the game silently scales the detail level based on the number of cores available. And Oxide didn't think to tell anyone this or make it configurable :doh:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/commoncfm/comparison/clickSwitch.cfm?id=138531

i'm sure hexa/octa-core owners will be thrilled that oxide has blessed them with particle rendering from 500 miles away at the low low cost of half their fps
lmao who the gently caress didn't tell them that ryzen was a 4+4 core complex

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

lmao who the gently caress didn't tell them that ryzen was a 4+4 core complex

That has little to do with the stupidity of having hidden detail settings, regardless the Intel 6/8 core models actually do worse.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Edit: Totally the wrong thread apologies.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 1, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Tbf is ashes actually played by anyone

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It would be hilarious if Ashes were being kept afloat solely by people buying it for benchmarking purposes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

With all the RNG and hidden detail settings for Ashes, isn't it kinda not work benchmarking? Unless you're doing like a thousand runs of it?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Shame it can't scale details up or down depending on your refresh rate.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except you can't even run it a thousand times, because _the benchmarks get better over time_ because of the branch prediction learning thing.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Where can I get an Intel bracket for the wraith max CPU cooler?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Except you can't even run it a thousand times, because _the benchmarks get better over time_ because of the branch prediction learning thing.

Is it really that good/powerful/effective or just worth a few percentage points in benchmarks?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Shame it can't scale details up or down depending on your refresh rate.

That would be way rad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't know how much it is. It was mentioned on a recent PCPer podcast in passing.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah Wendell mentioned it on L1, apparently AMD advised running a bench 3-4 times before taking results but I have no idea if anyone actually did that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
.... People seirously don't? That's kinda the whole point of experimentation. You want to test for precision!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I don't know if it was brought up or not, but ECC memory does actually work with Ryzen. Hardware Canucks did ECC memory testing and was able to get partial memory correction working in both linux and Windows. It did successfully recover from all single-bit errors, but not all ECC features were available.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 1, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sata and nvme storage benchmarks
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8073/amd-ryzen-ssd-storage-performance-preview/index.html

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I loving knew it. The platform is poo poo. NVMe performace is nearly HALF Intel at low queue depths.. which is exactly what most desktop pcs will be seeing. loving AMD! Same poo poo, different platform.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

redeyes posted:

I loving knew it. The platform is poo poo. NVMe performace is nearly HALF Intel at low queue depths.. which is exactly what most desktop pcs will be seeing. loving AMD! Same poo poo, different platform.

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: :mediocre:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

redeyes posted:

Isn't there a lot of room for optimization driver-side?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its not like amd has had 4 years to get this stuff right.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I wonder how much time they spent shoveling money into the bulldozer shaped hole.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

I assume you're talking about this?

quote:

With CDM, there is very little difference in sequential performance between the two platforms; Intel still holds a slight edge. Intel holds a distinct advantage at 4K QD1 write, where it is 50% faster than AMD.

I don't think you read it correctly. AMD is not 50% as fast as Intel, Intel is 50% faster than AMD. The numbers are 200MB/s for AMD and 300MB/s for Intel, which means AMD is two thirds as fast as Intel.

Not saying your wrong to be disappointed, I don't really know the implications of this benchmark.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Low queue depth is a thing for home users, but I'm not sure how often you'd be handling tons of tiny 4K files like that. I don't know either.

Be interesting to see how it's handled on other motherboards too. Does NVME performance vary much on different Intel boards?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 1, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
4k Q1 is where nearly all home systems sit in terms of i/o load. ATTO on their benchmark indicated half the sustained reads that Intel gets.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Do you have a source? I'm not doubting, I'd just like to know more about that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How exactly can you get NVMe performance wrong? Isn't it just shoveling data back and forth over PCIe?

ufarn posted:

Another benchmark showing 30% DX12 gains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBf2lvfKkxA
The GPU load on NVidia DX12 is only at ~2/3rd of AMD DX12. Why's that? Latter also runs higher CPU usage.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 1, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

How exactly can you get NVMe performance wrong? Isn't it just shoveling data back and forth over PCIe?

That's what I thought. But I guess it's got to get from the bus to the cache and vice versa? Is that how it works?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I would assume its still a driver issue at this point since they didn't even SATA drivers in that article to test with. If after a month or 2 of driver updates down the road performance is still lagging for NVMe SSD's then AMD probably screwed up somewhere in the hardware.

That being said performance, while quite a bit worse than Intel at the moment, isn't actually bad for desktops. That is from a practical typical user perspective you might possibly see boot and program load times as maybe several seconds or so slower than on a modern Intel platform right now. That isn't good but calling it poo poo doesn't seem correct either. Its still a huge step up from their older socket AM3/FM3 platform SATA and I/O performance.

Personally I've only messed with 1 AM4 system and while I didn't do any benchmarking it sure "felt" as fast and as smooth as any modern Intel system when loading up CS:GO, PoE, Libreoffice 5.3, and booting Windows 10 Pro.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I would assume its still a driver issue at this point since they didn't even SATA drivers in that article to test with. If after a month or 2 of driver updates down the road performance is still lagging for NVMe SSD's then AMD probably screwed up somewhere in the hardware.

That being said performance, while quite a bit worse than Intel at the moment, isn't actually bad for desktops. That is from a practical typical user perspective you might possibly see boot and program load times as maybe several seconds or so slower than on a modern Intel platform right now. That isn't good but calling it poo poo doesn't seem correct either. Its still a huge step up from their older socket AM3/FM3 platform SATA and I/O performance.

Personally I've only messed with 1 AM4 system and while I didn't do any benchmarking it sure "felt" as fast and as smooth as any modern Intel system when loading up CS:GO, PoE, Libreoffice 5.3, and booting Windows 10 Pro.

Didn't intel help develop the nvme standard, if so i would assume they would have better drivers for it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wargames posted:

Didn't intel help develop the nvme standard, if so i would assume they would have better drivers for it.

That's an excuse for 5 years ago when NVMe drives were first released. It's not an excuse that makes sense now. Even the latest revision in use is nearly 3 years old at this point.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

wargames posted:

I think the AM4 platform is very very new and was rushed out the door in a functional but non-ideal fashion and so is having teething problems at this point.

Given the way BIOS improvements are already making a impact on overclocking and memory support, as well as bug fixes, I think there is good reason to believe AMD is serious about and able to work out the current issues.

Especially since the server platform Zen's should be launching within several months.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Another comparison of Ryzens game performance when paired with AMD or NV GPUs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLRCK7RfbUg

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
The NVMe thing mystifies me. I can't make sense of how it's possible. It's not like there's CPU/Platform-specific drivers for that, right? It should just be talking standard PCIe on that side.

Like, is it possible AMD just has a general PCIe IO latency problem that has gone unnoticed? (That could also explain why games show worse performance than other kinds of applications...)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hot take: who gives a poo poo about 200 or 300 megs per second random access to 4k sized files? That's still thousands of files per second, you're not going to notice a difference in any real world scenario ever.

SSDs have been getting faster every year, but it's made zero difference after the first year or so, because their main advantage over older disks isn't the raw speed, but the lack of seek time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So even if general IOs are chunkier than 4KB, mix in fragmentation, and there's potential of it being split up in more actual IOs. NTFS cluster size is 4KB.

• Locked thread