Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Enough people must have agreed with him and liked it otherwise they would have ignored it.

The people that agreed with him were agreeing out of fashion more than anything. The Cool and Good Thing to Be was a Latin-derived Romance language which English never, ever was. For a very long time the official language of the English royalty as well as the court was French because that was fashionable. When English started coming back it was considered important to still speak a Latin-derived language in high circles so that guy started the idea of "gently caress all of you, English is a Romance language now."

And, of course, those stupid arguments still run today. The people who care a whole lot about those rules or stuff like the proper use of "whom" (which, mind, has never been totally codified and the word is currently drat near dead) tend to be those that want to look down on others. There's a lot of classism and racism tied up to it. There's a right way to speak English and a wrong way to speak English. If you speak any of the wrong ways you're a dirty, lesser person so if you want to be seen as a respectable person never, ever end a sentence in a preposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

doverhog posted:

There almost certainly is life out there, some biological scum at the bottom of a sea, or a space rat. Intelligent life tho, they will first discover nukes, and if they survive that, discover virtual reality. Neither is conducive to space travel.

I think we'll probably find other life in our solar system to be honest. Not intelligent, but bacteria or single celled organisms bumbling around in one of the frozen ocean moons or maybe bacteria around a thermal vent or something. And once that happens then it will be a safe bet that tons of life exists through out the universe since even our planet wasn't special with in the confines of a single solar system. Really though, I'm hoping for space crabs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I took a course in college called "astrobiology" that was about the possibility of life outside of Earth. Basically it seemed to more or less say that it would be super weird if, at the very least, simple life didn't exist elsewhere.

Some of the stuff we read did imply that it's tough for complex life to develop. Which kind of makes sense when you think about it; given how long it took complex (much less intelligent) life to develop on Earth, the universe as a whole is actually pretty young, and I think that only solar systems with relatively younger, metal rich stars might be capable of hosting complex life (since earlier stars wouldn't have some of the elements needed for complex life as we know it).

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Religion-slash-spirituality is pretty cool. My ideal religion would be a cross between Classical paganism and Buddhism-slash-Hinduism-slash-Taoism. Like, there's ultimately one Thing and everything participates in it, and everything is just part of an ongoing process that is Eternal. But "gods" and "spirits" and "demons" exist as thought-forms and egregores generated by sapient minds and imaginations, which themselves are a part of the Whole. There is no discrete self, either.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Blue Star posted:

Religion-slash-spirituality is pretty cool. My ideal religion would be a cross between Classical paganism and Buddhism-slash-Hinduism-slash-Taoism. Like, there's ultimately one Thing and everything participates in it, and everything is just part of an ongoing process that is Eternal. But "gods" and "spirits" and "demons" exist as thought-forms and egregores generated by sapient minds and imaginations, which themselves are a part of the Whole. There is no discrete self, either.

:350:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wendy's has the best fast food burgers and Burger King has the best fries.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't know what the hell seems to be going on with everyone else's Arby's, but mine's really goddamn good.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

I go to Burger King when I'm in the mood to be disappointed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Das Boo posted:

I don't know what the hell seems to be going on with everyone else's Arby's, but mine's really goddamn good.

The last Arby's here closed years ago. I didn't know it still existed.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

The last Arby's here closed years ago. I didn't know it still existed.

i work at an Arby's and we are stupidely busy a lot. Like people were lining up today for goddamn gyro sandwiches. loving WHY???

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If dragged to a burger joint like McDonald's or whatever I'll usually just take the chicken nuggets. No crappy bread, not messy to eat, pretty good when eaten a few times a year.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Blue Star posted:

i work at an Arby's and we are stupidely busy a lot. Like people were lining up today for goddamn gyro sandwiches. loving WHY???

I just go for the curly fries. The bland mystery meat sandwich is just a side.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That turkey bacon sandwich from Arby's is loving unreal. And also 800 calories, so there's why.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

doverhog posted:

If dragged to a burger joint like McDonald's or whatever I'll usually just take the chicken nuggets. No crappy bread, not messy to eat, pretty good when eaten a few times a year.

McDonald's chicken nuggets are genuinely good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

McDonald's chicken nuggets are genuinely good.

The last time I got them I was a kid and bit into one and it was raw as hell. Never again.

Sonic popcorn chicken is pretty good though.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Leavemywife posted:

Completely agree.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

McDonald's nuggets are bad because it's just ground up chicken from like 20,000 different chickens all mixed together in a big vat. At least if you eat chicken tenders it's from a recognizable piece of meat.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Hamburger is ground up meat too, that doesn't make it inherently bad. Chicken muscles don't have a soul that is broken if your grind them up for a nugget.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I loved McNuggets when I was a kid. Not so fond of them now. Somewhere in between, I was told that "way back when" they used to be part fish nugget. I have no idea whether or not that's true, but some part of me believes the story.

No, I've never looked into it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chinese people make fish sausage and it's weirdly good even though it's probably way grosser than chicken pink slime nuggets.

doverhog posted:

Hamburger is ground up meat too, that doesn't make it inherently bad. Chicken muscles don't have a soul that is broken if your grind them up for a nugget.

I'm just extra suspicious of ground chicken because it seems so easy to put in filler or mystery textures. Beef always tastes like beef.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Das Boo posted:

I think there was some ongoing Simpsons joke about Arby's being bad that turned it into a meta joke, but Arby's is good and The Simpsons is bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shaft isn't Isaac Hayes's greatest work - Hot Buttered Soul is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Horsey Sauce mixed with their really runny BBQ type sauce thing is legit delicious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I think there was some ongoing Simpsons joke about Arby's being bad that turned it into a meta joke, but Arby's is good and The Simpsons is bad.

Jon Stewart was far more responsible for the myth that Arby's is the worst.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I loved McNuggets when I was a kid. Not so fond of them now. Somewhere in between, I was told that "way back when" they used to be part fish nugget. I have no idea whether or not that's true, but some part of me believes the story.

I'm pretty sure that's impossible. I'm allergic to fish and have never, ever had a reaction to a McNugget other than "you know what these actually aren't all that good."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Arby's is fine but it's stupidly expensive for what they're selling

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don't see Whataburger anywhere in this conversation about hamburgers :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh! I got a bad opinion! The movie Stripes is not very funny.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Harold Ramis was so unfunny and bad he sucked all the humour out of the entire movie. Imagine how good Ghostbusters would have been without Ramis :(

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Solice Kirsk posted:

I haven't seen Stripes but related to this, Caddyshack isn't really that good.

It has its moments, but it's like three separate movies that just don't gel together. Animal House, on the other hand, is still fantastic.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Originalist interpretations of the Constition is garbage.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure that's impossible. I'm allergic to fish and have never, ever had a reaction to a McNugget other than "you know what these actually aren't all that good."

I couldn't find any legitimate source backing this up, so you're almost definitely correct. Didn't even consider the allergy angle.

It was probably just a (local?) myth that I bought as an impressionable preteen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mojo1701a posted:

It has its moments, but it's like three separate movies that just don't gel together. Animal House, on the other hand, is still fantastic.

Animal House is great fun but The Blues Brothers is better.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
jastiger was right all along

also this is now the unpopular facts thread

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Animal House is great fun but The Blues Brothers is better.

DID YOU GET ME MY CHEEZ WHIZ, BOY?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

DID YOU GET ME MY CHEEZ WHIZ, BOY?

"Cars got a lot of pick up..."

I'll also say that the best soundtrack of all time is a tie between The Big Chill (not a very good movie though) and The Blues Brothers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sounds like the myth that KFC would substitute rabbit for chicken for some reason, despite rabbit being more expensive and the obvious fact that people would notice the difference.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I couldn't find any legitimate source backing this up, so you're almost definitely correct. Didn't even consider the allergy angle.

It was probably just a (local?) myth that I bought as an impressionable preteen.

Probably. Food myths are incredibly common and common/popular things are popular targets. You know like saying that the beef that made the hamburgers at school lunch was "Grade D - can be sold to convicts and students" and the like. There are an insane number of food-based urban legends.

Food allergies are a huge freaking deal and it's very unlikely that McDonald's would replace chicken with a common allergen.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Probably. Food myths are incredibly common and common/popular things are popular targets. You know like saying that the beef that made the hamburgers at school lunch was "Grade D - can be sold to convicts and students" and the like. There are an insane number of food-based urban legends.

Food allergies are a huge freaking deal and it's very unlikely that McDonald's would replace chicken with a common allergen.

They're the only fast food place in our area that doesn't separately package peanut poo poo (so it's no-go with an allergy). They're "open packaged." Is that just a middle Canada thing? Mcdonalds vary a lot apparently depending where you live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think everyone should be fed peanut and fish stuff and just let nature sort things out.
Or develop a cure for fuckoff stupid allergies where super common stuff kills people.