Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IronSaber posted:

I have Shbobobohbbhbh on ignore since all his opinions are terrible anyways.

So! Favorite ship from Rebels so far? While I love the TIE Defender, I am also partial to that prototype B-Wing from S2.

Mining Guild TIE Fighter.

I think that's been the first ever instance of the TIE being used in number by an organization that wasn't The Galactic Empire and it was a cool way to show the Guilds association.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shbobdb posted:

When I talk about why we need to avoid the limiting concept of canon and how books in general are a poo poo medium for Star Wars, this would make a fine exhibit in my presentation.

Why do you think that, out of interest? I actually agree with you in that I think it sounds boring and kind of trite, but being those things doesn't stop it from being at home within Star Wars, and whether they're appropriate to the franchise should be at least as big a consideration as whether you personally like them or not. Star Wars began with and makes plenty of use of soap opera stories like those. Whether Luke or Han would end up with Leia was a big part of the original trilogy, and responsible for much of the speculation between movies. Love also both damned and saved Anakin. I don't watch Star Wars for melodramatic love stories, but they've always been a part of it whether you do or not and some people do enjoy them. That story might not be for you, but not every story has to be, especially in a tv show lots of episodes per season. Some episodes can be for and appeal to other people and other types of fans.

I don't even see what it has to do with canon, or why it would help prove that canon is limiting either. Whether the story was written or not has nothing to do with canon. It's just a story some guys making it wanted to tell. That they made it would automatically have made it canon, but they didn't make that story because canon exists, nor was the story dictated by or limited in some manner because of canon.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 1, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Books seem to be a poor medium for Star Wars because Star Wars books are universally poo poo. What can you do?

As for canon:

Shbobdb posted:

You mean you end up with a fun, imagination-positive universe where people can choose which and what aspects they like?

Traveling poets would always make small changes to the narrative, incorporating local heroes and locations. The stories were the same but who precisely did what would change. Who cares?

I don't care if Campbellian archetype Han Solo was a bed wetter as a child unless his uncontrolled bladder is Chekhov's Gun and does something cool later in that story. In another story where Campbellian archetype Han Solo is doing something different, why should I care about a specific aspect designed to teach a certain lesson and solve a certain problem?

I hate to break it to you but Han Solo isn't real. He's not a real person. His context and motivations can change while still being the same person.

Look at Odysseus.

Odysseus is the similar but different when presented as an traditional Greek epic poem, athenian tragedy, Roman nationalist epic, etc. They can and do contradict each other and that's fine. That doesn't change my enjoyment of the character.

The "canon" approach to wide-sweeping fiction is more likely to produce a technically competent steaming pile of poo poo, like what we see with Star War because it drives the shrinking universe where everybody is related to everybody. It's not like I'm the only one to notice this either.

Baronjutter posted:

If this was starwars and this was all we've seen of earth there'd be a huge wookipedia article about :
-All of earth's poor live under highway bridges, their primary economy is washing plastic containers. This is what they all do and here's a very long reason explaining why.
-That drug addict who didn't help bobbie? Actually that's Mao's long lost cousin and boy does he have a backstory that intertwines somehow with all the main characters.
-That dude who did help bobbie? Yeah, he pretty much is the reason the protomolecule was even discovered.
-The island city of New York is earth's capital and main city, the rest of the planet is also smaller island cities because this is the biome of earth. They all have high walls and gray sand beaches and are islands, all of them.
-The only non-human lifeform on earth is the See-Gull, spy drones are all inspired by this all seeing bird.
-The See-Gull bobbie saw from her window actually had subtle protomolecule powers which it used to create a gravity field which caused her to fall. This was important because if bobbie had not fallen she would have been spotted by Mars security during her escape attempt. This powerful bird has a extremely long backstory and was key to Avasarala's rise to power.

vermin posted:

:five: I wish I could've made this post. The Star Wars EU deserves as much piss taking as possible. That one Mormon who talked to Miller on that transport ship was a plant put there by Mao and is actually a clone of Mao's long lost drug addicted cousin, and his real name is Brewce Endersin. He is the greatest secret agent specializing in talking to bitter people and instilling hope in them while they're being transported from planet to planet.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This reminds me that I still have a few episodes of the second season of The Expanse to watch before I'm caught up.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You should. Expanse is a good show.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The EU is a great collection of stories. Some poo poo, some less poo poo. Some good. They're so disparate and all over the place any judgement would be a sweeping one.

My issue with the EU was always how writers and fans and editors and much masturbation was all spent trying to paper over stories that clearly had no business being part of a coherent world.

Kyle Katarn fights a Sith with whiskers because some dude at LucasArts thought it'd be cool. I don't need an audiobook explaining where Jared was.

Someone else pointed out the same thing is true of force lightning. Economic storytelling reasons would argue that Sidious should really be one of a handful of force users who can use it. But when I play a videogame as Johnny Slices People With a Glow Sword? Yeah, I want force lightning too.

On a different note, I'm a few episodes into the latest season.

So so much better than season 2's aimless wanderings.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shbobdb posted:

What can you do?

Not make sweeping generalizations for one. I could say games are a poo poo medium for Star Wars too by that measure, since most of them are held to be poo poo. The original X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, KOTOR, Podracer and a few others are good though. By the same measure the Wraith Squadron books and at least some of the film novelizations are good, and I've heard a few others are too, even if I've not read them to find out.

Shbobdb posted:

As for canon:

That's a nice argument for the merits of not sticking to canon. I still fail to see how the existence of that story has anything to do with it. That story could exist in a system of canon or a system of no canon. Hell, by your argument you could just view it as a possible interpretation of Asajj and her story, but one that not everyone has to know or like.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

tsob posted:

That's a nice argument for the merits of not sticking to canon. I still fail to see how the existence of that story has anything to do with it. That story could exist in a system of canon or a system of no canon. Hell, by your argument you could just view it as a possible interpretation of Asajj and her story, but one that not everyone has to know or like.

That's what I'm doing. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to call it out for being dumb. You can do both at once. Especially when it's getting chocolate on my peanut butter, so to speak.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shbobdb posted:

That's what I'm doing. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to call it out for being dumb. You can do both at once. Especially when it's getting chocolate on my peanut butter, so to speak.

Your post that it'd make a fine exhibition for an argument as to why canon is bad would suggest that this story is only bad because of canon or only possible because of canon, rather than that you just don't want this to be canon. Which implies you do care about canon and just don't want that story to be part of it.

I also don't see what's dumb about it. Boring to me, sure. Dumb? That's a much less subjective judgement though.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I only care about these things insofar as 1) They are dumb 2) Rebels is increasingly borrowing from dumb things and 3) when I mention that things are dumb and bad people get super testy.

Plus TVIV is great for sweet new avatars. It's a great bonus.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, if you call things dumb for nebulous reasons on a regular basis then it's really no surprise people will call you dumb back I suppose. That said, I still have no reason why you think the Asajj thing is dumb. At least presuming dumb means more than "I don't like it". It certainly seems to fit within the narrative of Star Wars, where melodramatic love is a thing people act from several times in the movies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AndyElusive posted:

Mining Guild TIE Fighter.

I think that's been the first ever instance of the TIE being used in number by an organization that wasn't The Galactic Empire and it was a cool way to show the Guilds association.

The Guild TIEs were also a very nice tweak on the original design.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

IronSaber posted:

I have Shbobobohbbhbh on ignore since all his opinions are terrible anyways.

So! Favorite ship from Rebels so far? While I love the TIE Defender, I am also partial to that prototype B-Wing from S2.
I'm partial to the Arquitens,myself. It's what I imagine a mini-Star Destroyer would look like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm just pleased as hell that the TIE Defenders made it into Nu-Canon. Weren't they originally from the TIE Fighter game?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

VolticSurge posted:

I'm partial to the Arquitens,myself. It's what I imagine a mini-Star Destroyer would look like.

Technically the Arquitens is from the Clone Wars series, but I really do like seeing it still in use in the Empire.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I really like the Gozanti cruisers. It's cool to see a non-wedge shaped Imperial ship and it's multi-role capabilities are neat.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm just pleased as hell that the TIE Defenders made it into Nu-Canon. Weren't they originally from the TIE Fighter game?

The real test will be if the stealth TIE makes it in.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

LongDarkNight posted:

I really like the Gozanti cruisers. It's cool to see a non-wedge shaped Imperial ship and it's multi-role capabilities are neat.

Oh yeah, I really liked that SIGINT Gozanti

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Come on Assault Gunboat! You can make it into rebels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kingtheninja posted:

The real test will be if the stealth TIE makes it in.

TIE Phantoms were pretty awesome :allears:.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I love that the Interdictors were reintroduced as well if I'm talking about big ships.

mllaneza posted:

The Guild TIEs were also a very nice tweak on the original design.

Ya I dug the bright yellow, hazard stripes and the missing solar panel that actually improves the pilots peripherial vision but yet somehow makes the ship less manueverable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndyElusive posted:

I love that the Interdictors were reintroduced as well if I'm talking about big ships.

Ya I dug the bright yellow, hazard stripes and the missing solar panel that actually improves the pilots peripherial vision but yet somehow makes the ship less manueverable.

Interdictors are a bit of a problem though, as the rule for Hyperdrive in old-EU has always been you can't Jump in a gravity well. Interdictors work by generating artificial gravity wells to yank out passing ships in Hyperspace and hold ones already in the area from escaping.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Interdictors are a bit of a problem though, as the rule for Hyperdrive in old-EU has always been you can't Jump in a gravity well. Interdictors work by generating artificial gravity wells to yank out passing ships in Hyperspace and hold ones already in the area from escaping.

How is that a problem?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chickenwalker posted:

How is that a problem?

You mean aside from the U-Wing making that daring last-second escape to Hyperspace while in the atmosphere in Rogue One?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So now that Maul is dead and Vader is probably too focus on the main cell, what the odds the enemy jedi force next season is Brannis? She still around probably as the last Inquisitor at this point. Doubt it, but it could be a way for Ashoka to return.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean aside from the U-Wing making that daring last-second escape to Hyperspace while in the atmosphere in Rogue One?

You didn't cite that in your original post, but yeah. JJ Abrams' dumb rear end didn't care about internal consistency so this is the world we live in now. It all started with the Falcon jumping when it was still in the cargo bay of that freighter and then later jumping straight into the atmosphere of a planet (which under previous rules should have blown the Falcon up).

After Rogue One and TFA, I realized that for all they're talked about, Leland Che and story group have no actual say when it comes down to it. The directors have all the power, and they aren't going to be dissuaded from what they think is a really cool thing to do with their action figures by being told it breaks the internal consistency of the universe. And Disney isn't going to give Story Group the power to overrule the writer or director, so they've basically become the court stenographer.

Lucas was God in the Star Wars universe, so he was usually cognizant of the rules he'd already established, and at worst he tried to retcon things so that they made sense within G Canon. This was his story and he knew all the rules and if it seemed like he changed the rules well no, actually, he had always intended the rules to be that way.

Basically what I'm saying is, Rogue One showed me that we're basically going to get a bunch of vignettes of stuff people have been dying to do with their Star Wars toys since they were kids. That's going to give us some cool rear end poo poo like Vader wrecking dudes and the Scarif space battle, but it's also going to give us a bunch of dumb poo poo like Rey being able to beast Kylo with 0 training or the destruction of Hosnian Prime being visible from halfway across the galaxy on Takodana.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Chickenwalker posted:

Lucas was God in the Star Wars universe, so he was usually cognizant of the rules he'd already established, and at worst he tried to retcon things so that they made sense within G Canon. This was his story and he knew all the rules and if it seemed like he changed the rules well no, actually, he had always intended the rules to be that way.

I remember reading a post in one of these threads a while ago that really stuck with me about Lucas working on the Clone Wars story arc about a stealth-drive ship.

It was something about how one of writing staff quipped a line from Empire(?) saying "no ship that size has a stealth generator" and Lucas just paused for a beat and said "Well, this one does."

I think you could draw a few conclusions from that, but it amused me in a "this is my story, I make the rules" way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chickenwalker posted:

Basically what I'm saying is, Rogue One showed me that we're basically going to get a bunch of vignettes of stuff people have been dying to do with their Star Wars toys since they were kids. That's going to give us some cool rear end poo poo like Vader wrecking dudes and the Scarif space battle, but it's also going to give us a bunch of dumb poo poo like Rey being able to beast Kylo with 0 training or the destruction of Hosnian Prime being visible from halfway across the galaxy on Takodana.

Rey beating Kylo isn't so unbelievable when you realize he's a colossal fuckup with Grand-daddy issues. He really wants to be Vader and everything he does is what Vader would clearly do AND IT DOESN'T WORK, WHY DIDN'T IT WORK AAARGGGH DIE CONSOLE! DIE!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rey beating Kylo isn't so unbelievable when you realize he's a colossal fuckup with Grand-daddy issues. He really wants to be Vader and everything he does is what Vader would clearly do AND IT DOESN'T WORK, WHY DIDN'T IT WORK AAARGGGH DIE CONSOLE! DIE!

Dude had a Bowcaster size hole in him too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Also, honestly, he had just killed his own father. He thought that'd make him closer to the Dark Side like it did for Anakin when Anakin killed the younglings, but the novels say (and the film tried to imply this) he actually felt a strong pull to the light due to his regret. Rey, on the other hand, was clear of purpose: revenge for the loss of her father-figure. Doubt makes one weak in the force and only one of them doubted themselves.

Covok fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 1, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Covok posted:

Also, honestly, he has just killed his own father. He thought that'd make him closer to the Dark Side like it did for Anakin, but the novels (and the film tried to imply this) he actually felt a strong pull to the light due to his regret. Rey, on the other hand, was clear of purpose. Doubt makes one weak in the force and only one of them doubted themselves.

I actually really love Kylo Ren as a villain, because you do not know which way he will jump or how far he will go to prove he is Big Bad Vader's grandson. And that makes him goddamn terrifying as a character.

Vader would calmly kill a commanding officer for failure, promote the next guy down, and that would be the end of it. Kylo Ren might do anything up to sinking the entire ship for failure because THAT'S WHAT VADER WOULD DO! :rant:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I love Kylo Ren mostly because he's the in-universe Star Wars turbo-nerd, collecting all the best memorobilia for himself, scouring the galaxy for the best NRFB merch, and whining when someone else gets a collectible he can't have or removing it from existence entirely so that no one can have it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually really love Kylo Ren as a villain, because you do not know which way he will jump or how far he will go to prove he is Big Bad Vader's grandson. And that makes him goddamn terrifying as a character.

Vader would calmly kill a commanding officer for failure, promote the next guy down, and that would be the end of it. Kylo Ren might do anything up to sinking the entire ship for failure because THAT'S WHAT VADER WOULD DO! :rant:

I'm hoping he turns it around within the next movie and we get something a little more interesting than the same villain throughout all three movies. I'd like to see a Star Wars character with some of the nuance Jaime Lannister has in GoT to where they're still kind of a prick but you want to root for them in their struggle to make amends, and not an 11th hour Hail Mary conversion to the light side that saves the day. I've got a feeling though that either he's going to get iced unceremoniously or go out in a really shallow archetypal heroic sacrifice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't like Kylo Ren as a villain, I don't like TFA, and I don't think JJ Abrams is any good as a director, he's especially bad at doing space scifi. TFA just had way too many problems for me to like it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean from an esthetic point of view Interdictors are cool looking canon Star Destroyer varients. From a story telling stand point they prevent protagonist ships from jumping out when the Empire arrives somewhere to gently caress poo poo up. Who cares about the pseudo science behind why it would or wouldn't work in-universe? It doesn't yank me out of the story when I see one with its gravity wells or anything.

Now that I think of it, if Tarkin had sent an Interdictor instead of Vader or if Vader had arrived with one instead of his ISD all the Rebels trying to escape Scarif would have been screwed and we would have had no Star Wars.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"

It seems like gravity wells are independent of ability to travel through hyperspace.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

you gotta do the equations to avoid the gravity wells, duh

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Shbobdb posted:

"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"

It seems like gravity wells are independent of ability to travel through hyperspace.

It would also seem that driving into trucks would be independent of the ability to drive down streets, if someone said that without precise calculations, you could crash into a building or trees on the side of the road.

Now, if you asked C1-10P, it would gladly tell you of all the ways you could die.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm hoping he turns it around within the next movie and we get something a little more interesting than the same villain throughout all three movies.

I think Kylo is already pretty interesting as a character, and beyond finding gratuitous enjoyment in some of the fan service Kylo and Finn were probably the only two things I liked in The Force Awakens. I like that he's a messed up and childish character because it means he has room to grow as a character, especially after killing his father (or perhaps Han helping him kill himself) quite obviously didn't bring him the relief from angst that he wanted. Whether he actually does grow or not as a character in further films is of course a different matter, and if he doesn't my enjoyment of him will probably sour because his wild and rather ineffectual anger can't hold up for even two movies - but I loved it as a beginning. There's a pretty good chance that Abrams won't do more with him I suppose, but I hope he does.

Even just superficially I think his character provided a lot of the enjoyment in the film, with scenes like him raging out in his chambers and the two Stormtroopers coming along outside and just noping the gently caress out, turning around and walking away because they're not dealing with that poo poo.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fortunately Abrams isn't directing this one, or the next one, so hopefully they'll turn out to be better than the mess TFA was

• Locked thread