Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Diva Cupcake posted:

Dane Brugler's annual draft guide is out. Good for full scouting reports on all the unknown 4-7th rounders you've never heard of.

http://myfootballnews.com/product/2017-Guide

he has mccafferey rated above fournette. I don't even know what that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

zimbomonkey posted:

he has mccafferey rated above fournette. I don't even know what that is

Not sure why this is a crazytime evaluation, McCafferey is going to be a really good pro

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I think you can say he'll arguably be good, but I can't think of one thing he's done that Fournette doesn't do as well if not better other than catch out of the backfield.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Also he has Cook above both of them and I think he's probably number 3 on the list.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

zimbomonkey posted:

I think you can say he'll arguably be good, but I can't think of one thing he's done that Fournette doesn't do as well if not better other than catch out of the backfield.

I mean, that's kind of a big thing that a RB needs to do these days.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

zimbomonkey posted:

He broke the NCAA record for all purpose yards two years ago. He's a multi-purpose threat that isn't 5'9". It's a legit debate.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Mccaffery would be wasted on Carolina.

Let him go somewhere mike Shula can't turn him into a blocking back or whatever.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

warcrimes posted:

He broke the NCAA record for all purpose yards two years ago. He's a multi-purpose threat that isn't 5'9". It's a legit debate.

I think its less a knock on McCaffery and more injury concerns about Fournette and his play style.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Brugler said his top 3 RBs are all first round talents so not too controversial. Here are his summaries for each.

Cook posted:

SUMMARY: A two-year starter, Cook is arguably the best running back Florida State has ever produced, owning the two best rushing seasons in school history and
leaving the Seminoles atop most rushing records. When evaluating the running back position, there are two main criteria that translates to the NFL: can you navigate?
And can you create? And Cook is above average in both areas, despite unimpressive testing numbers. He has excellent patience to allow his blockers to do their job
and then times his burst to maximize each run. If defenses give him a crease, he has the vision to find openings and athletic gifts to attack them, making it look easy
due to his feet, balance and spatial awareness. Cook is a dynamic rusher and receiver, but his inconsistency in pass protection and with ball security need improved.
NFL doctors will also need to sign off on his shoulders before a team uses a high pick on him. If the medical staff and front office are comfortable with his long-term
durability and maturity, Cook should be the first running back drafted in the 2017 class – doesn’t receive as high of a grade as Ezekiel Elliott in the 2016 class, but he
projects as an impact weapon from day one.

McCaffrey posted:

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Stanford, McCaffrey has been one of college football’s premier ballcarriers the past two seasons, showing his versatility rushing,
receiving and returning – led the FBS in all-purpose yards per game in both 2015 (276.0) and 2016 (211.5). Like any talented running back, a good chunk of his
yardage is thanks to an efficient blocking scheme, but it still takes talent to allow those blocks to develop, process all the moving parts and finish with athleticism.
McCaffrey doesn’t have an ideal frame to be a workhorse back between the tackles, but his combination of run intelligence, gifted athleticism and competitive juices
are unique and project well to the NFL – he is the type of athlete where everything seems to come easy for him. McCaffrey is ideally suited for a hybrid offensive role
that highlights his versatility as a rusher and receiver, lining him up in the backfield, in the slot or outside – dynamic playmaker worth a top-20 selection.

Fournette posted:

SUMMARY: A three-year starter in LSU’s power-I offense, Fournette is freakishly gifted with his blend of size, athleticism and power and the NFL hasn’t seen a
running back with his skill-set in quite some time – the closest active NFL comparison in terms of body type and natural ability is Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas
Davis. Fournette’s package of skills makes him a nightmare for second level defenders once he gets downhill, lowering his pads and barreling through bodies like a
hot knife through butter. While the physical traits are elite, there is more to being productive at the running back position and Fournette needs to improve his
decision-making and tempo once in the NFL, especially when the designed hole doesn’t develop. His reliability in pass protection and as a receiver also require added
development. The long-term diagnosis of his left ankle injury is another variable teams will consider. Overall, Fournette is a first round quality player due to his rare
skill-set, projecting as a featured NFL running back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I know as a member of TFF I'm not supposed to want running backs in the first round, and as a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs I'm not supposed to want to draft anything this year other than a quarterback if one of Watson/Mahomes/Kizer/Trubinski falls to 27. Or 20+ with a trade up according to half of this fan base.

But I think I'd be pretty ok with drafting one of those RBs if they fall to KC no matter who's on the board.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Why are they comparing a RB to a linebacker

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He means Jonathan Stewart....I think.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

warcrimes posted:

Not sure why this is a crazytime evaluation, McCafferey is going to be a really good pro

I think it's a usage thing. Fournette projects to be an every down back who can give you 300+ carries a year. McCaffrey projects to be a 150-200 carry back who can also catch a ton of passes out of the backfield or line up in the slot. Teams will value that, but common sense says teams won't draft a RB in the top 10 if they think he can't be an every down back.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm getting an increasing feeling that the Colts are taking McCaffrey at 15, and I'm not quite sold on it yet.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Also for Carolina I am pretty much Fournette or bust with the RBs. I don't want McCaffrey at 8 because he isn't worth the 8th pick and because his skill set will be wasted in our offense. Cam needs a power back to take the pressure off of him running in short yardage situations, and our offense doesn't utilize the RB as a receiving option as much. I think McCaffrey has a chance to be great, but it'll have to be on the right team. Like, the guy could be a Hall of Famer in that Patriots offense.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I know as a member of TFF I'm not supposed to want running backs in the first round, and as a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs I'm not supposed to want to draft anything this year other than a quarterback if one of Watson/Mahomes/Kizer/Trubinski falls to 27. Or 20+ with a trade up according to half of this fan base.

But I think I'd be pretty ok with drafting one of those RBs if they fall to KC no matter who's on the board.

No Mccaffrey in KC.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

No Mccaffrey in KC.

I honestly think he'll be pretty good, but the connection to his dad is a definite downside.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

No I want two low round WR's who will be out of football in 2 years.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

No Butt Stuff posted:

No Mccaffrey in KC.

He's the perfect running back for our offense

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
McCaffrey is gonna bust and be out of the league in three years.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I, too, would be pretty happy if KC ended up with one of those guys. I'd prefer McCaffery, purely due to how Andy Reid's offense works.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
If the Eagles took McCaffrey at 14 I wouldn't be upset. He's a great fit for the offense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Because running backs the size of linebackers are uncommon.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Strobe posted:

I, too, would be pretty happy if KC ended up with one of those guys. I'd prefer McCaffery, purely due to how Andy Reid's offense works.

I think you can make a pretty good argument that Cook is a better fit and better player, but woof that combine.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I think you can make a pretty good argument that Cook is a better fit and better player, but woof that combine.

I'd be more worried about his multiple shoulder injuries and fumbling issues. Oh yeah, and he's a scumbag.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Strobe posted:

McCaffery would be pretty redundant since they've already got Tyreek.

There's not a good reason to feel pressed to take a RB in the first when the Head Coach hates running and the draft is incredibly deep at RB. Going RB in the first round is one of the worst moves the Chiefs could make.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

aBagorn posted:

If the Eagles took McCaffrey at 14 I wouldn't be upset. He's a great fit for the offense.

Stop we need to break away from this WC nonsense

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LiquidFriend posted:

McCaffery would be pretty redundant since they've already got Tyreek.

There's not a good reason to feel pressed to take a RB in the first when the Head Coach hates running and the draft is incredibly deep at RB. Going RB in the first round is one of the worst moves the Chiefs could make.

Chiefs were almost exactly average last year in attempts and yards for rushing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Chiefs were almost exactly average last year in attempts and yards for rushing.

Surprised they managed to be average in yards if the attempts bit is true. Running back is a need for the team. I definitely get the argument it's not a first round need of course, but they're by no means set at the position.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Surprised they managed to be average in yards if the attempts bit is true. Running back is a need for the team. I definitely get the argument it's not a first round need of course, but they're by no means set at the position.

Not a fan of Ware?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah, I mean Andy Reid is going to get his peas and carrots taken away at the old folks' home because he keeps on diagramming screen plays on the tables with them, but he doesn't really 'hate' running. It's just something the Philly media picked up on because some doofus in the Philly media said "WHEN LESEAN MCCOY RUNS IT 20 TIMES THE EAGLES ALWAYS WIN" which was just what teams do when they have a big lead.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Grittybeard posted:

If Cook is available in the mid-20s then of course, but he won't be.

I am and will always be in favor of more multi-role skill players so that Reid can run silly gimmick formations because that is the best kind of football.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diqnol posted:

Not a fan of Ware?

He's fine. I thought he might be like just below David Johnson good after the end of 2 seasons ago and the beginning of last season. Through 6 games last year he was on pace for about 2000 yards from scrimmage. He ended up with 1368. Which is fine! That's a perfectly useful running back. It's also a running back who fell off quite a bit due to whatever you want to blame after a hot start and limped to the finish of the season.

So you can either supplement his production or go for a home run and make him the backup (or get lucky and draft a guy good enough to push him out of the starting role later on). One way or another it seems like the Chiefs should draft a running back this year, the question is just when.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

He's fine. I thought he might be like just below David Johnson good after the end of 2 seasons ago and the beginning of last season. Through 6 games last year he was on pace for about 2000 yards from scrimmage. He ended up with 1368. Which is fine! That's a perfectly useful running back. It's also a running back who fell off quite a bit due to whatever you want to blame after a hot start and limped to the finish of the season.

So you can either supplement his production or go for a home run and make him the backup (or get lucky and draft a guy good enough to push him out of the starting role later on). One way or another it seems like the Chiefs should draft a running back this year, the question is just when.

If you get perfectly fine production like that out of a 6th round pick you should probably focus on your below average QB

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Grittybeard posted:

I think Ware had an accumulation of injuries, he looked so slow at the end of the season compared to the beginning.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Diqnol posted:

Stop we need to break away from this WC nonsense

And do what? Put Alex smith in a coryell offense?

Either take the white kid or draft mahomes and let Jesus take the wheel.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cian Fahey really doesn't like this fella (click for a bunch of gifs of this dude sucking.)

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/848358130077630464

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

here's something that might catch on:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/848380736994504704

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
That's just crazy enough to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I remember this happening the past few years but can't recall any of the potential TEs names so it hasn't been stellar success in the past.

• Locked thread