Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

That video was shamefully bad. Even that bass drop movie trailer sound couldn't make the slowly rotating JPEG exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR2e2SRBjjw

more like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

edit: :geno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGNsjNIGOC4

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I'm the super complicated landing gear setup that takes up 20% of the interior of the ship.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Only $110, and you can fly watch this thing clip through the landing pad and explode

Pretty good deal there

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

CIG have two modes. Over-designed and stupid, and dull and boring.

This one is the second, with a splash of the first. Revolutionary.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Procedural bird taming with grabbyhands is IN.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Xaerael posted:

Thats a good bee

GrizzlyAtoms
Jul 26, 2016

Fatkraken posted:

I'm not sure what SC is in this analogy.

A great dane. If they grow too fast when they're young they have problems for life and their average lifespan is 6 to 8 years.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

GrizzlyAtoms posted:

A great dane. If they grow too fast when they're young they have problems for life and their average lifespan is 6 to 8 years.
:smith:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

TheAgent posted:

hello

• supposedly CIG working on something "exceptional" for E3

Showing up?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Cool, and I'm proud that you're actually doing work on it.

Question: how many players can you support per instance?

I'm sure that you already know this, as we've had this discussion before.

The game and its world are not instanced. It's an open-world single-session persistent world game.

We built the network layer specifically to support the game design. Not the other way around. You know, like all multiplayer games not named Star Citizen.

The design also allows any client (player) to setup and host on the same game session they are playing on. You know, like all multiplayer games not named Star Citizen.

We add new users by setting up additional server "clusters" hosted on hardware servers.

We don't use cloud servers (GCE, AWS) because i) it would be cost prohibitive; which is why very few multiplayer games do this ii) it won't benefit from it, as it's not instanced

http://lodgame.com/faqs/how-many-players-are-supported/

quote:

The game’s hybrid tech supports both dedicated server as well as peer-to-peer (client hosts and plays) session hosting for PC and consoles. It supports a large number of players in a persistent, non-sharded, non-instanced, game world. Our Wide Span Global (WSG) network technology supports various networking and game hosting configurations.

WSG DEDICATED SERVERS

The game world is currently locked to support 256 players per scene. When a scene is full, access to it is prohibited.

There are currently a total of thirteen (4 planetary bases, 4 space regions, 4 stations, 1 carrier) scenes.

A full WSG server cluster can handle up to 3328 clients online at any given time. Once that number is reached, additional clients will be unable to connect, and must join another server.

Though the engine is capable of supporting a larger number (e.g. could be 2048 if we wanted) of clients, we picked 256 clients per scene based on the server config, as well as the need to keep performance in check. The novelty of 2000+ people fighting a battle on a single server, is just that – a novelty. It tends to wear off once the initial adrenaline rush is over and people are complaining about performance issues.

PLAYER HOSTED SERVERS

This option allows any player client to host a game for up to 64 players. During setup, sessions can be public or set to private with a password. The player can also setup which supported World Event will be running during the session.

Unlike a WSG dedicated server, for efficiency, player hosted servers can only demand load the scenes used in the World Event.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Thoatse posted:

The latest fidelity gun is getting upcoming blockbuster space game Star Citizen grognards mad

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/62l5yc/cig_i_know_this_is_asinine_but_please_dont_have/

Why does everything CIG design look like it's been magnetized and fired straight though a Halfords 'blingy bits' aisle?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ayn Marx posted:

I love how proud Derek is to post these ugly rear end screenshots like that was going to somehow shut MoMA up :xd:

Not sure where you got the impression from that they were designed to "shut MoMA up". Then again, rear end-clowns are broken people with improperly wired brains. That's why we laugh at them. Incessantly.

The beauty of creativity is that it is subjective. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean that there aren't others who do.

I am always proud of my work. For almost 30 years, this is all I've done, and wanted to do. And because a bunch of people who by buying my games ensure that I keep making them, why would I care what others think?

My games were never designed to appeal to the masses. Ignoring the fact that even well funded, developed by super stars, multi-million Dollar triple-A train-wrecks can't do that either.

As an artiste, I have grown to be tolerant of the fact that my games won't appeal to every one, will get attacked etc. And I am OK with that.

For me, if one person who buys my game likes it, that's perfectly OK with me. Which is why, to this day, I am still cuddling along my legacy Battlecruiser/Universal Combat games because, with all its faults, a large number of people keep buying them. e.g. just two weeks ago I released the scripting tools for UCCE and I was surprised by the number of downloads and engagement. That's the sort of thing that keeps me going; and I don't ever regard my efforts as being wasted because for me it's a hobby first and foremost.

boviscopophobic posted:

Is there a source for that last one or is it just folklore?

As if you have to ask.

Space Crabs posted:

Derek tweeted the link to Sandi's IMDB page a couple years ago and it's evolved since then in backers minds

I posted about it awhile ago

quote:

Space Crabs posted:
I like how that too has been distorted over time by backers.

It's the nefarious GOONS using their SJW Mechanics that CIG valiantly resisted to protect the refuge from goons CIG is building.

When it was calling out prominent RSI posters for harassing women with dick pics, which promptly got RSI to ban the women involved and any goon who complained about it while RSI posters cheered for this victory struck against goons by banning a woman who they had been creepily harassing.

This is just like the crazy Rollercoaster of Derek re-tweeting a tweet two years ago turning into

"Harrassing Chris Roberts"
"Harassing Chris Roberts' Family"
"Harassing and stalking Chris Roberts' family"
"threatening, stalking and harassing women and children"
"running an organized hate campaign with the specific goal to harass, stalk and threaten women and children"

Basically Star Citizen has been in development so long that stories are being passed down to new generations by Bards and they forget some of the lyrics each time. So you are right, it's literal folklore.

Just like how the Xi'an Scout thing is now a mystery, and Doorgate never happened, and Accelewrath sending pictures of his dick to girls on RSI forums and getting the girls banned when they complained was actually CIG just stamping out a goon Social Justice Conspiracy.

:perfect:

And this is why I write my blogs and musings for posterity sakes.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Cripes they are reusing music they made 4 and a half years ago for the Hornet commercial for this latest one, I still remember those overly dramatic violins lol.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CrazyLoon posted:

Cripes they are reusing music they made 4 and a half years ago for the Hornet commercial for this latest one, I still remember those overly dramatic violins lol.

I can't recall the last time they showed new music. It's the same thing they've had for years in every livestream, etc. The funny part for me is how they don't even bother with commercials anymore, which were probably the most compelling marketing angle they had. Unfortunately they slowly turned to poo poo (starting with the Cutlass) before quitting entirely.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also that Buccaneer does a great job of fulfilling CIG's dedicated single seat fighter void. Glad to see they're addressing a particular playing style that barely has any ships.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can't recall the last time they showed new music. It's the same thing they've had for years in every livestream, etc. The funny part for me is how they don't even bother with commercials anymore, which were probably the most compelling marketing angle they had. Unfortunately they slowly turned to poo poo (starting with the Cutlass) before quitting entirely.

They simply noticed that people were buying poo poo, commercials or not, so why even bother.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Conspiratiorist posted:

They simply noticed that people were buying poo poo, commercials or not, so why even bother.

Pretty much. At this point the people who are addicted to spaceships don't care, and the people who aren't won't buy anything unless there's an actual game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
everything is green

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

peter gabriel posted:

everything is green

I, for one, welcome our new Comedy Gas Chamber admin overlords.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is a positive improvement but it needs to be less Forest/Pea green and more brownish diarrhea green like when you eat too many avocados.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

everything is green

It's because we're jealous of Chris Roberts.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

:lol: literally.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
we are where we belong

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

we are where we belong

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/62tps8/latest_theagent_fud_vince_posted_on_march_30/

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

All I do is argue on the internet and I can't even bring myself to want to argue with this guys post.

Actually explaining all of the ways he is using faith based reasoning and unrelated examples would not only take all day but it would make me feel like the bad guy since I can't really think of a sincerely nice way to explain to someone so stupid how stupid they are.

:smug: "Obviously this leak about a loading transition for 3.0 is false because of several cinematic demos we've been sold during huge sales."
:geno: "Sure buddy, sounds good."
:smug: "Also the leak about Chris Roberts not being present for the development is false because Chris Roberts has been present in a few hours of videos over the past 6 months"
:geno: "Yeah. You are right."

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 1, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

big nipples big life posted:

what do these cnc renegade screenshots have to do with star citizen?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

CrazyLoon posted:

I, for one, welcome our new Comedy Gas Chamber admin overlords.

I suspect this was the thread's final destination, anyway

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The web based map they showed some time ago has new music. It's pretty good generic space game bgm, and made me sad that it'll never be used in a finished game.

also, this sure is a css.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Green

:negative:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Somehow this seems more suitable for the E:D thread.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Only the unread posts are green.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Only the unread posts are green.

I can confirm. The OP is green.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I feel grief with envy.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Best April Fool's day prank on the internet.

Hopefully this will keep Derek from posting as well.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I wish they would re-vert it back

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I see the forum pipelines have been refactored.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm requesting we keep it this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm requesting we keep it this way.

No, don't.