Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I did C before D mainly because I wanted A2 to snap 9S over her knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
This hard mode tutorial is pretty brutal, I've died twice to the big fucker you have to fight after the two buzzsaws. I've seen a stream of it so I know that there's something like 2 or 3 phases after that as well. Tempted to just switch down to normal until the first save point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

This hard mode tutorial is pretty brutal, I've died twice to the big fucker you have to fight after the two buzzsaws. I've seen a stream of it so I know that there's something like 2 or 3 phases after that as well. Tempted to just switch down to normal until the first save point.

Switch to normal. Hard is unfeasible until your second playthrough at least.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
By now, the thread title should really be changed to NieR: Automata - Don't play the tutorial on hard

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Yeah, just do the tutorial on Normal, the lack of checkpoints plus a hard-hitting boss before you get access to chips isn't a great combo.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Oxxidation posted:

Switch to normal. Hard is unfeasible until your second playthrough at least.

No? As long as you equip pretty much any defense chip you won't get oneshot.

e: This isn't a hard game and it's not supposed be dmc/bayonetta levels of SSS rank difficulty. Hard is very reasonable as a first playthrough if you want something more than buttonmashing.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 1, 2017

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So I just did the boss fight against the giant sea robot and a bunch of my side quests are no longer accessible, am I correct in assuming I'll get access to them again when/if 9S gets fixed? I assumed they were only temporarily blocked off because 9S has dialogue during them.

If I won't get access to them again, don't spoil why, tia

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So I've been living under a rock in east Tennessee for work the past couple weeks. I just got back home to a shiny new PS4 (never had one before) and now a lot of free time.

Now I'd probably prefer to play NieR Automata on my PC since I'd be using a DS4 controller anyways to play it, but is there any problems with the PC port at all that I should go with a PS4 version instead? (I have a 970 so it should probably run pretty well i'd imagine). I've heard some murmirings that it has some minor problems on the PC but seems to work well in general. Just wanted to check

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Heaven Spacey posted:

So I just did the boss fight against the giant sea robot and a bunch of my side quests are no longer accessible, am I correct in assuming I'll get access to them again when/if 9S gets fixed? I assumed they were only temporarily blocked off because 9S has dialogue during them.

You've gone past the point of no return for sidequests, but you'll be able to pick up most of those sidequests again in your next playthrough and any completed sidequests will remain complete.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

Those don't exist in the prologue.

Route E/Full game question, spoilers etc:

When all the Pods are carrying a wounded 042 he says he got into that shape by doing a suicide attack...but i don't remember him doing any such thing. Did i miss something (possible), or is it just assumed to have happened off-camera?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Badingading posted:

You've gone past the point of no return for sidequests, but you'll be able to pick up most of those sidequests again in your next playthrough and any completed sidequests will remain complete.

Thanks friendo. I saved over a different file just in case after the boss fight, so I guess I'll just go back and redo it later :)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Heaven Spacey posted:

Thanks friendo. I saved over a different file just in case after the boss fight, so I guess I'll just go back and redo it later :)

Don't do that. Just start up your second playthrough when you finish.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
So where are all the upgrade material vendors? I know Emil sells them sometimes, and there's the bot in the amusement park who sells basic ones (and thick dictionaries), but are there any others?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

a kitten posted:

When all the Pods are carrying a wounded 042 he says he got into that shape by doing a suicide attack...but i don't remember him doing any such thing. Did i miss something (possible), or is it just assumed to have happened off-camera?

The dialogue before the credits states that if they go against their programming there will be resistance from security programs. The credits fight within the actual narrative is 042 fighting the security programming in order to be able to go against Project YoRHa

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

a kitten posted:

The suicide attack is the credits sequence. You just faced unsurmontable odds to save the androids, and by any accounts you shouldn't have won.

Heaven Spacey posted:

You can never miss out on a sidequest in this game, so don't worry about loose ends.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh god, of course!

Thanks x2.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Is there a trick to killing these super hard ng+ enemies other than hacking them a bunch?. And why don't some of them die?

Heaven Spacey posted:

That's a point of no return for a bunch of sidequests that they don't tell you about. I know at least one doesn't come back but I was really overpowered at that point and just did the main storyline after that fight so I don't know for sure.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

a kitten posted:

Those don't exist in the prologue.

It was from attacking then YorHa server in order to retrieve the data of 2B, 9S, and A2. He is physically wrecked because of the feedback damaging him, which is an established thing

Beaten x2

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

No, you'll get two-shot, which is still more frustration than most people feel like putting up with.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The soul box / flooded city forced hacking section as 9s is really trying my loving patience. I must have had 20 goes of the one where you can't touch the walls, it's really pissing me off. The worst part is I know there's even more hacking to come and I'm probably half way through this gauntlet.

I love this game so much but the hacking sections can suck my dick. I had to drop it to easy so the things go down quicker, but even on easy 3 hits kills you. Is there really no way to make the hacking segments easier?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I assume you're using lock-on (available on easy and normal) and it isn't helping? Do the auto-chips work in hacking mode?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
...I did not know you could lock on in the hacking minigame.
Auto chips don't work.
Edit: you can't lock on in hacking? Unless it's a different button?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think that sequence was the one time where I legit got frustrated at this game. One of the boxes has an "extra" room you really should clear because it makes the puzzle go from hair-pulling hard to kind of a breeze. The other one is just a regular pain tho. gently caress shielded ICE.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's the hacking game where you have to clear 3 rooms before being allowed into the final one, and all walls are covered in the red boxes that hurt you if you bump into them. The final room has fixed purple things that have rotating sheilds too. I am so over this.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The hacking sections are def. a love hate thing. Which is to say, I loved the god box but hated "hack this enemy with an easy hack in the middle of combat 10 times because obnoxious health pool" just because of it breaking combat flow. vOv

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've honestly never been more frustrated at a game. I got mildly annoyed at Bloodborne and souls in parts but this is just the worst thing I've ever encountered in a game. The movement is way too slippery and imprecise for me to feel like I can improve, I'm exactly as good at it as I was the first time I ever played it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think the big problem with most of the hacking games is that they take place in such tight quarters that dodging bullets isn't really an option, which goes against what people think you need to do in a bullet hell game. You need to keep making use of cover and circling around the arena except now whoops we've made the walls out of murderstuff.

I never got stymied by any of them but I didn't think they were all that fun, with one very obvious exception.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Murder walls are much harder than any of the other normal hacking things. There aren't many of them so you should be good after this one.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I just realized that there's a "play record" section in the menu.. Both my "Bodies infected" and "Infected bodies subdued" is at 0? Also apparently i completed 530 hacking games over the course of 70 hours, so maybe i'm the wrong person to ask, as i apparently never got tired of it. I loved the puzzle box section, but even i'll never finish that arcade challenge.

Rocking a sick 7500 to 60 hard k/d though, i'm coming for you, Engels.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 1, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll outright spoil it and say that's one of, if not THE last hacking puzzle in that segment. Murderwalls suck because your movement is way too floaty.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Martout posted:

am I a dumbo or is the game meant to not show my mouse cursor even in menus?

It's probably Kalandiel's FAR mod. One of the updates put in an option to automatically hide the cursor and if you don't give it a delay the cursor will never show up when you move it again.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

havenwaters posted:

It's probably Kalandiel's FAR mod. One of the updates put in an option to automatically hide the cursor and if you don't give it a delay the cursor will never show up when you move it again.

ah found it, cheers!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That one hacking segment easily took me about 20 attempts when I did it earlier today, so it's gratifying to find out I'm not the only one who had problems with it.

Lucious
Apr 1, 2017

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1Cf3PpiPs

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Maybe I'm late to the party but for anyone having movement troubles crossing jump gaps... you can hit RS + A to have your pod lunge you forward, in addition to your doublejump and still be able to dash afterwards.....

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

So I've been living under a rock in east Tennessee for work the past couple weeks. I just got back home to a shiny new PS4 (never had one before) and now a lot of free time.

Now I'd probably prefer to play NieR Automata on my PC since I'd be using a DS4 controller anyways to play it, but is there any problems with the PC port at all that I should go with a PS4 version instead? (I have a 970 so it should probably run pretty well i'd imagine). I've heard some murmirings that it has some minor problems on the PC but seems to work well in general. Just wanted to check

I have a 970 and it runs fine on my setup, but I use the FAR mod in the steam forums. Turning the global illumination setting to medium increased my performance by a lot. Also there is a mod to turn your button prompts to DS4 ones.

I did have one crash that lost me an hour but that's the only issue I've had.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

The soul box / flooded city forced hacking section as 9s is really trying my loving patience. I must have had 20 goes of the one where you can't touch the walls, it's really pissing me off. The worst part is I know there's even more hacking to come and I'm probably half way through this gauntlet.

I love this game so much but the hacking sections can suck my dick. I had to drop it to easy so the things go down quicker, but even on easy 3 hits kills you. Is there really no way to make the hacking segments easier?
You're using the right stick to aim, right?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

...I did not know you could lock on in the hacking minigame.
Auto chips don't work.
Edit: you can't lock on in hacking? Unless it's a different button?

If you play on Easy Mode auto-chips do work and I saved tons of time this way :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised i haven't come across anything that's locked behind a playing-on-Very-Hard barrier, because it would be just about the most Yoko Taro thing to commend you in-game for switching to Very Hard to initiate the battle/quest and going back down in difficulty immediately afterwards to fulfill the task.

But maybe that's still coming, i still haven't gone through the entire game yet.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

What was the 4 hour speedrun people were talking about earlier in the thread? Gone back about a hundred pages, but can't find it.