Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

I thought there was a tequila or general booze thread but I couldn't find it. I'm looking for a few modest tequila recommendations around or under $30. I don't drink tequila often and never know what to get so I always end up with 1800.

I like Milagro, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hakushu 12 is fine but really not that great.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

I thought there was a tequila or general booze thread but I couldn't find it. I'm looking for a few modest tequila recommendations around or under $30. I don't drink tequila often and never know what to get so I always end up with 1800.

I like Tapatio personally. In any case make sure you get 100% agave.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Just went to a Van Winkle lottery at a nearby store - they had a bottle of PVW23, 20, and 15, 2 bottles of VW12 and 10, a bottle of William Larue Weller, Handy rye, and 3 bottles of Weller 12

First 2 winners picks: VW12 and Weller 12
Smdh
The William Larue Weller (arguably the best whiskey there) went second to last

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Just went to a Van Winkle lottery at a nearby store - they had a bottle of PVW23, 20, and 15, 2 bottles of VW12 and 10, a bottle of William Larue Weller, Handy rye, and 3 bottles of Weller 12

Smdh

Just lol at anyone who argues WLW isn't the best of that lot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Smdh

Were they at the suggested retail price?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Vox Nihili posted:

Were they at the suggested retail price?

Yes, for that reason I might not have expected the Pappy 23 to be the first pick, but there was no real reason for the first person to pick the 12 year over the 15 (lol $20 saved?), and I don't understand why the people who picked the Weller 12 over anything else there even bothered.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
For years I've been a fan of Islay malts, I've had just about all of them in one form or another. My fav is Lagavulin.

Recently I got a bug to start trying different kinds of scotch. I am getting old and I don't really drink to get drunk anymore like I used to. I've learned to like just sipping on a bit of booze through the evening. Happily, money spent on booze goes a lot lot farther. So far I've gotten some 'original' glenmorangie which is pretty good, and Auchentoshen Three Wood. I like them both but I like the Auchentoshen quite a bit more. It reminds me of something, Martell Cordon Bleu I think. (Sadly Martell C.Bleu has gone from 100 bucks to 150+ here in the past few years, which is a bridge too far, so I can't compare them head to head, but I -think- its Martell that it reminds me of).

I like its sweetness, and i guess what is the influence of sherry casks or something on it. Anyway, I like it a lot.

I like honey/dry fruits/raisin/sherry flavors, I'm not a big fan of what I think of as 'coconut' flavor in some bourbons and scotches.

What would be some scotches in the same vein? I'd prefer to spend less than 100$ per bottle, but might go over if its something really special.

The only thing I know about Japanese malts is that they are expensive, any of those that are really worth trying based on the stuff I like?

Alternatively, what would be some decent priced exemplars of different styles to try out? I'd like to figure out what I like best and then eventually focus on it to find something that really wets my whistle. Martell Cordon Bleu did that, but alas, the Chinese buy it all to mix with sprite or whatever.

Also, I really like Sauternes. I understand some whiskies are aged or 'finished' or whatever in Sauternes barrels. Anyone have experience with these? Does the botrytis flavor of the wine get imparted to the whiskey? What's it like?

E: For reference I live in the US and have local access to pretty good selections.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 6, 2017

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Aberlour A'bunadh is the first one that comes to mind. Some Glenfarclas offerings. Springbank 12.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Glengoyne and Glendronach. Also Auchenstoshan Three Wood tastes like nail polish.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Finally found and picked up a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label at the LCBO last night! I know it's not the best, but I actually surprisingly enjoyed it before.

kidsafe posted:

Glengoyne and Glendronach. Also Auchenstoshan Three Wood tastes like nail polish.

Is Glengoyne available in the US? I really enjoyed the distillery tour last year, but it's not here in Ontario (not sure about the rest of Canada).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

kidsafe posted:

Islay malts taste like band-aids, nothing wrong with that. Any other nail polish tasting ones?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Paul Proteus posted:

Aberlour A'bunadh is the first one that comes to mind. Some Glenfarclas offerings. Springbank 12.

I forgot A'bunadh, that is good stuff.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Finally found and picked up a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label at the LCBO last night! I know it's not the best, but I actually surprisingly enjoyed it before.

Is Glengoyne available in the US? I really enjoyed the distillery tour last year, but it's not here in Ontario (not sure about the rest of Canada).

Green label is a quality whisky, good value and the best in the JW range.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

hakimashou posted:

Islay malts taste like band-aids, nothing wrong with that. Any other nail polish tasting ones?

Balvenie 17 Double Wood then.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Paul Proteus posted:

Glenfarclas 17 especially.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

spankmeister posted:

Green label is a quality whisky, good value and the best in the JW range.

Oh I agree. Bought a 200mL 4-pack at Heathrow in November for £88 (Black, Gold, Platinum, and Blue). Haven't tried the Blue yet, but I found the Gold actually better than Platinum. Tried the Green much later, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Still making my way through the Macallan Select Oak my mom got me when she went overseas. She was shocked to discover that I could've bought it myself on my Air Canada flight for $60 instead of the €60 she spent.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So my girlfriend's company is having an impromptu whiskey tasting night tomorrow and she has been tasked with picking up "two $120 bottles." The company is paying for it.

Setting aside the absurdity of the price point specificity for a moment, does anyone have any suggestions that would fit the bill? Something with big, bold flavors suited to an amateur tasting would be great, huge peat bombs probably not great.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Vox Nihili posted:

So my girlfriend's company is having an impromptu whiskey tasting night tomorrow and she has been tasked with picking up "two $120 bottles." The company is paying for it.

Setting aside the absurdity of the price point specificity for a moment, does anyone have any suggestions that would fit the bill? Something with big, bold flavors suited to an amateur tasting would be great, huge peat bombs probably not great.

Aberlour Abunadh goes for about that much right?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I really love the 23. It's really one of the best values in scotch, certainly at that age, but it was out of his price point.

I've been drinking some Signatory Linkwood 2008 and it's over the top good. I can't get over how smooth it is at cask, 64%. This tastes better than most bourbons on the market.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vox Nihili posted:

Around $100 each:
Compass Box Hedonism (Blended Grain Whisky)
Springbank 15 (slightly peaty, funky)
Glenfarclas 105 (high proof Speyside)
Kavalan Concertmaster (Port Finish)

Cheaper, but great:
Lagavulin 16 (peaty, fruity)
Oban 14 (honey/syrup, Scotch's greatest hits)
Laphroaig Quarter Cask (very peaty, sweet, crisp mouthfeel)
Compass Box Spice Tree (like Oban 14 that it has a little bit of everything)

Lowness 72 posted:

Aberlour A'Bunadh is $69 here, but I mean whatever. It's a good one to bring to a tasting.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 7, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh man Abunadh is like 110 at Astor Spirits in NYC. They're usually not that overpriced either.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Lowness 72 posted:

It's quite a bit cheaper here.

If you want the people to get hosed up get Aberlour Abunadh, its 60+% ABV and goes down like water.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

That looks like it will fit the bill, Total Wine here has it and I'm gonna see if I can't make time to pick some up tomorrow.

E: it looks like another store has Glenfarclas 25 year for 150$ The 17 year is 95$

I think i'll get the 17 year first and if I really like it, spring for the 25 year on a special occasion or something.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 7, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Thanks for the input, guys, I ended picking up a bottle of Hedonism for them, which sounds delightful. Someone else ended up handling the second bottle.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I had a glass or two of the Macallan Select Oak last night and I decided to mix the few remaining drops in the glass with some 7up. Jeez, that mixture tasted like chocolate.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
My brother-in-law and I just had kids with our respective wives and I wanted to get him a nice whisk(e)y that would be fittingly celebratory.

I really, really like Glenlivet French Oak Reserve 15 year (and so does the person I'm buying for); what would be something in that vein that might be... nicer? The 18 year? Budget is up to $150.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

hakimashou posted:

That looks like it will fit the bill, Total Wine here has it and I'm gonna see if I can't make time to pick some up tomorrow.

E: it looks like another store has Glenfarclas 25 year for 150$ The 17 year is 95$

I think i'll get the 17 year first and if I really like it, spring for the 25 year on a special occasion or something.

Haven't had any Glenfarclas older than 17, but I have had the cask strength 105. I highly recommend that one too, if you can find it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Haven't had any Glenfarclas older than 17, but I have had the cask strength 105. I highly recommend that one too, if you can find it.

I just now opened the Glenfarclas 17 and I am really impressed, this is delicious stuff!

It's markedly different from any other whiskey i've had, and its really good, thanks for the recommendation!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Bookers is now $70 in VA. gently caress straight off!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
12? years ago I think, I decided I'd try some "fancy bourbon." There was a fancy grocery store nearby with a fancy liquor and wine section. They had two kinds of bourbon, Black Maple Hill and Pappy Van Winkle. I was a cheapass and didnt want to spring an extra 10 bucks for the Pappy stuff.

:rip:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I've been avoiding Canadian whiskey for ever because I've had some not-great experiences with Canadian Club and Crown Royal.

Picked up a bottle of Lot no. 40 rye and really like it. Nothing really that stands out, it's just a tasty, affordable whiskey with a ton of spicy rye character.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

ehnus posted:

I've been avoiding Canadian whiskey for ever because I've had some not-great experiences with Canadian Club and Crown Royal.

Picked up a bottle of Lot no. 40 rye and really like it. Nothing really that stands out, it's just a tasty, affordable whiskey with a ton of spicy rye character.

That is basically my experience with anything past bottom-shelf Canadian whisky: it may not be the best, but it definitely hits the spot without breaking the bank. I'm actually starting to enjoy them more than the bourbons I've tried because I prefer the spice and richness to the vanilla smoothness.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Is Bowmore any good?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Missing Name posted:

Is Bowmore any good?

Not really. Like, it's not bad but it's not memorable in any way.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Honestly I think the 23 is both a better scotch and it's a bit cheaper at 130 than the 25. I don't think the extra time in the barrel does much better for the result.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Paul Proteus posted:

Honestly I think the 23 is both a better scotch and it's a bit cheaper at 130 than the 25. I don't think the extra time in the barrel does much better for the result.

Cool, I will keep an eye out for it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Paul Proteus posted:

Haven't yet seen an OB 23 y/o but I recommend the 21 y/o and I prefer it to the 25 y/o.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Russel's Reserve (WT with age statement yay!) is amazingly cheap for what it is, IMO. My go-to sipping bourbon.
Wanted to thank you for this rec, I would've never tried it otherwise and it's tasty for the price.

I also got around to tasting my Sazerac and EC12. The Sazerac is a nice expression, but the EC12 is really something else. Very tasty caramel flavour compared to my usual bourbons.

On the other hand, I can't handle the maple syrup like flavour (of varying strength) of almost every Canadian whiskey I've tried. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Visiting Boston from Europe next week and want to get a bottle of something American. Some experience with Irish/Scotch but almost none with American stuff. No preferences flavourwise; a budget of, let's say, $60.

Any suggestions?