Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Given that even CETA needed the approval of all national parliaments (and in some cases that meant regional parliaments as well) it's safe to assume that the post-Brexit EU-UK deal will require such approval as well, which means giving Spain a veto on a specific issue is mostly for show, as every nation will have the ability to veto the whole thing if even one comma is not to their liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ultimately as long as the Germans are happy with the deal it'll go through one way or another.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

can't wait to go vacationing in liberated Gibraltar!!

Gibraltar currently has jobs and a future. The lucky Spanish who get to work there when Spain isn't playing games on the border must be making GBS threads themselves.

Like i'm a self-hating Brit and the UK is trash but lol Spain.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I don't find it absurd for Gibraltar to be handed over to Spain, as long as Ceuta and Melilla are turned over to Morocco.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think these places should get to decide rather than being 'handed over'.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait, if Gibraltar can get vetoed couldn't we theoretically veto any British overseas territory like say the Cayman Islands?

Pissflaps posted:

This is the EU, if you're not an export economy or a founding member you don't get to have an opinion.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

Wait, if Gibraltar can get vetoed couldn't we theoretically veto any British overseas territory like say the Cayman Islands?

Surely any EU member state could veto any deal for any reason they like?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Veto the Queen.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Gibraltar currently has jobs and a future. The lucky Spanish who get to work there when Spain isn't playing games on the border must be making GBS threads themselves.

Like i'm a self-hating Brit and the UK is trash but lol Spain.

lol spain is the far superior country

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
UK Gibraltar in its current form should be unacceptable to the EU. You cannot have a foreign power control a major waterway and set up spy stations right outside your borders. :colbert:

The EU should also use this opportunity to call for an end of British occupation of Northern Ireland.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

preferably in a referendum

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kurtofan posted:

Time to call for a referendum across the Iberian Peninsula as to whether Gibraltar should be returned to Spain.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kurtofan posted:

Well, yes. In the last few years Gibraltar and the Falklands, for instance, have expressed their wish to remain British Territories democratically. Not sure if Spain's have had the opportunity to do the same.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Randler posted:

The EU should also use this opportunity to call for an end of British occupation of Northern Ireland.

And will the ever-caring, generous Germans be willing to subsidise the reintegration of the province of Ulster into Eire?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does "Catalonia" as defined for the purposes of independence include just the administrative unit, or does it also include like, the Baleares?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Also do they want Rousillon back

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Does "Catalonia" as defined for the purposes of independence include just the administrative unit, or does it also include like, the Baleares?

They basically want the Baleares, Rousillon, the Comunitat Valenciana and some parts of Aragón. They've also got a regional government-sponsored institute for revisionist history which makes constant claims about how famous people in Spanish history such as Saint Teresa of Ávila, Miguel Cervantes and Christoffer Columbus were really Catalan. Also, for some reason, the 16th-century Dutch thinker Desiderius Erasmus. Catalan independentists are nuts.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Pissflaps posted:

I've played enough Civilization to know better.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Catalan independentists are nuts.
I don't know, they haven't made up too much poo poo yet and started blowing up buildings. My favorite nutcases, the former Yugoslave province of Macedonian nationalists, TRUE SONS OF ALEXANDER (actually just Hungarians) are destroying the few superb modern architecture buildings from the 70s they have to replace them with the shittiest neoclassical&fakest neo"macedonian" style buildings one can imagine. It's like the ultimate triumph of bad taste.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 1, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Toplowtech posted:

I don't know, they haven't made up too much poo poo yet and started blowing up buildings. My favorite nutcases, the former Yugoslave province of Macedonian nationalists, TRUE SONS OF ALEXANDER (actually just Hungarians) are destroying the few superb modern architecture buildings from the 70s they have to replace them with the shittiest neoclassical&fakest neo"macedonian" style buildings one can imagine. It's like the ultimate triumph of bad taste.

Please don't make fun of the Macedonians, as they are the true heroes of the Balkans by closing the Balkan route in 2016.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

It's almost as if the nationalist ideology is ridiculous nonsense

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Most governments are quite capable of addressing multiple issues at the same time, and dealing with Gibraltar and addressing youth unemployment are certainly not mutually exclusive. It's only the UK government which will find it very difficult to deal with anything other than Brexit for the foreseeable future, in the rest of the EU they can just leave it to Barnier after his negotiating mandate has been agreed.
Do you think Barnier cares about a rock the Spanish have failed to seize a bunch of times?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Do you think Barnier cares about a rock the Spanish have failed to seize a bunch of times?

I think Barnier cares about closing a deal that gets the approval of all member state governments, including the Spanish one. I also think that the Spanish may want Gibraltar on the table during the negotiations simply as a bargaining chip, for instance, to secure a deal in which the UK continues to contribute to funding medical care for the hundreds of thousands of British retirees living in Spain.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

jBrereton posted:

The Spanish care enough to force it into the Council declaration of principles (which is quite a high-level diplomatic deal), therefore Barnier will care at least a bit. Or has been made to.

Nobody expects this whole train to be derailed by a rock with some monkeys on it, but you never know; the EU-US trade deal was (in part) stuck over whether or not the word 'Parmesan' could only apply to cheese from one particular region of Italy, and not to US equivalents. It depends on how much stock both countries choose to put on it, and Gibraltar makes for great media fodder stories.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

forkboy84 posted:

And will the ever-caring, generous Germans be willing to subsidise the reintegration of the province of Ulster into Eire?

Well, yes of course, Germans can emphasize with re-uniting a country after the foreign power occupying part of it has self-destructed out of pure hybris.

Also, the "Four world cups and one Brexit"-chant would almost be worth it alone.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Spain: ei uk we want Gibraltar back.

Uk:oh really?lets have a referendum on the island so the people can decide,im sure you dont have a bunch of regions clamoring for their own referendum that will be emboldened by this,regardless of the outcome of the one on gibraltar.

Spain: oh wait never mind.on a totally unrelated note you better keep the scots in check because they are getting dangerous ideas.tia bae.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
At this point the main problem with Gibraltar is that it's basically a smuggling port for organized crime and that the governors of Gibraltar have, like those of Hong Kong, weird notions about where exactly the border ought to be.

For all the saber rattling some spanish groups are going to be doing, the UK's long running inability to deal with this is going to keep being an excuse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

At this point the main problem with Gibraltar is that it's basically a smuggling port for organized crime and that the governors of Gibraltar have, like those of Hong Kong, weird notions about where exactly the border ought to be.

For all the saber rattling some spanish groups are going to be doing, the UK's long running inability to deal with this is going to keep being an excuse.
Spain should just do some policing action, then refuse to leave.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Spain: ei uk we want Gibraltar back.

Uk:oh really?lets have a referendum on the island so the people can decide,im sure you dont have a bunch of regions clamoring for their own referendum that will be emboldened by this,regardless of the outcome of the one on gibraltar.

Spain: oh wait never mind.on a totally unrelated note you better keep the scots in check because they are getting dangerous ideas.tia bae.

I don't understand this story.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Agnosticnixie posted:

The thing is the UK is afraid that the minute they give Gibraltar back, Argentinian paras will jump on the Falkland and plant the Bandera.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

The thing is the UK is afraid that the minute they give Gibraltar back, Argentinian paras jump on the Falkland and plant the Bandera.

Wait, are overseas territories excluded from NATO?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Toplowtech posted:

The thing is the UK is afraid that the minute they give Gibraltar back, Argentinian paras jump on the Falkland and plant the Bandera.

The uk military presence there has been greatly enhanced since the last invasion and the Argentine military is in a parlous state. I don't think this scenario is one that will playing on the minds of uk politicians.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

All i am saying is one concession on one front, will remind everyone with territorial disputes with the UK that the UK could concede.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MiddleOne posted:

Yes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Depending on how you define overseas. North Atlantic islands are, unsurprisingly, covered. Hawaii is not though, nor French overseas territories (apart from Saint Pierra and Miquelon), no matter how politically integrated they are with their respective signatory states.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MiddleOne posted:

Yes and no.

NATO is about defense of territories in North America and Europe. Territories outside of these areas is therefore not covered; if for example Brazil suddenly invaded French Guyana, France couldn't invoke article 5.

However, NATO is not just about defense of territories. After all, the war in Afghanistan is the only NATO intervention triggered by article 5, and there had been other NATO interventions for other reasons (e.g. in the Balkans). Moreover, NATO logistics have been used in support of non-NATO operations (such as the French operation against jihadists in Mali).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes and no.

NATO is about defense of territories in North America and Europe. Territories outside of these areas is therefore not covered; if for example Brazil suddenly invaded French Guyana, France couldn't invoke article 5.

However, NATO is not just about defense of territories. After all, the war in Afghanistan is the only NATO intervention triggered by article 5, and there had been other NATO interventions for other reasons (e.g. in the Balkans). Moreover, NATO logistics have been used in support of non-NATO operations (such as the French operation against jihadists in Mali).

The Afghanistan war was covered under Article 5 because the attack took place in NYC and Washington, which are clearly covered. It basically covers everything in Europe and on the Med north of the Tropic of Cancer, which means that while NATO would have to defend the Canaries, it would not defend Guantanamo, or to be more precise, be under no treaty obligation to do so.

Junior G-man posted:

Nobody expects this whole train to be derailed by a rock with some monkeys on it, but you never know; the EU-US trade deal was (in part) stuck over whether or not the word 'Parmesan' could only apply to cheese from one particular region of Italy, and not to US equivalents. It depends on how much stock both countries choose to put on it, and Gibraltar makes for great media fodder stories.

PDO are very good at derailing anything, from trade deals to SA threads.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is French Guiana covered?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

The Afghanistan war was covered under Article 5 because the attack took place in NYC and Washington, which are clearly covered.

Yeah I think everyone heard about 9/11.

Pissflaps posted:

Is French Guiana covered?

Not for the purposes of article 5.

Keep in mind that article 5 is the only article with geographical limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/02/spain-drops-plan-to-impose-veto-if-scotland-tries-to-join-eu

Hahaha, now Spain is no longer planning to block the Scots from joining the EU if they choose independence.