Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't see what makes Banjo games tedious. :shrug: Like people keep saying "you collect things in it" like it's this damning thing. Unless you're talking about a game that just isn't fun to play at all(Star Fox Adventures, I'm looking at you), there's nothing inherently wrong with having collectibles as objectives in your game as long as the levels are designed around it. It's not like it's an open world game that just drops a bunch of tedious collectibles all over the map at random and gates progress behind it.

I don't think Yooka Laylee's art direction is particularly bad, either. Obviously Yooka and Laylee aren't quite as good designs as Shorts Bear and Backpack Bird, but they look fine to me.

I think, art direction-wise, it would've done well to go for something cel shaded or even more in the realm of cartoon. The current look makes everything look kinda plastic and I don't know that it looks as great as it could. It looks fine, honestly, but sort of already dated, if that makes sense? Maybe that's the point, I dunno.

It's also just that a lot of the incidental character designs swung too far into the bizarre for me, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

In Training posted:

As someone who both enjoyed Banjo kazooie as a kid and has replayed it in the last couple years, it sucks balls.

Word

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

playtonic/rare dev, head in hands: a water bottle... no. a lamp. but it's like old. and it's named Lampa

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Jay Rust posted:

Not Black Flag?

The ship battles are cool, but it's still a bad assassin's creed game. The only reason why it was so well received was because it came out on the PS4 before it had anything good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

playtonic/rare dev, head in hands: a water bottle... no. a lamp. but it's like old. and it's named Lampa

particularly sweaty and British playtonic/rare dev in the back corner: Can we put some huge bouncing tits on it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tap my mountain posted:

The ship battles are cool, but it's still a bad assassin's creed game. The only reason why it was so well received was because it came out on the PS4 before it had anything good.

Syndicate is pretty good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

http://i.imgur.com/cOP6Sjh.gifv

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SO I made a dumb decision and bought a SNES. I never had one as a kid so I was wondering what I should get for it. I did pick up Final Fantasy 3 and would like to find more stuff like that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BigRed0427 posted:

SO I made a dumb decision and bought a SNES. I never had one as a kid so I was wondering what I should get for it. I did pick up Final Fantasy 3 and would like to find more stuff like that.

Every SNES classic I could recommend to you is probably hella overpriced.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Super Castlevania IV is alright, Super Mario World, etc. It's a good rear end console

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kirby's Dream Course

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Super Mario RPG and Lufia 2 are great JRPGs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dkc1/2/3, kirby's dream course, pac-man 2 The New Adventures

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PAC Man 2 is funny but not very fun to play

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

yooka laylee looks so bad

Good prank

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kirby Super Star, please and thank you.

If you like beat-em-ups, TMNT 4: Turtles in Time is one of the greatest ever made. Final Fight 2 and 3 are also pretty good, but Final Fight 1 isn't a very good port.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is that one of those PAC-Man games that tries to be anything else but a PAC-Man game?

I did get Super Mario Land, FF3, Zelda, Super Metroid, FF:Mystic Quest and a Zelda Rom hack someone out into a cart. I wanted something unique and that fit the bill.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BigRed0427 posted:

Get one of those everdrive thingies and load it up with all the games that would otherwise cost you a fortune.

I mean I have a SNES collection and its great but its very much :retrogames:

Earthbound, Mega Man X 1/2/3, TMNT 4, Mickey's Magical Quest, Chrono Trigger, FF3/6, Super Mario World 1&2, Zelda LTTP, etc.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://wayforward.com/news/2017/04/announcing-a-new-re-imagining-of-a-wayforward-classic/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Not Black Flag?

black flag is a bad game with a cool side activity

it controls no better than the ezio games nearly a decade later too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tap my mountain posted:

Also because it was better than 3

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I did get Super Mario Land,

Unless you mean world, that's a game boy game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

haveblue posted:

Also because it was better than 3

That's because 3 sets a bar so low that it's buried underground

Sakurazuka posted:

Syndicate is pretty good

I should try it, but there's no way I'm going to spend more than $20 on it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

PYF game with the word "Revelations" in the title.

aw yeah

e: oops how embarrassing

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I somehow own two copies of Revolution X: Music is the Weapon- one on the SNES, and one on the PC.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How about let's post our favorite gaming-adjacent merch that we own?

I bought this friend last year on a whim. Never been big on plushies, but it's really well made and I find myself squeezing it quite a lot.

It's good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have a year of luigi commemorative coin that I hope to be buried with or pass on to the future generations

e: + some golf balls with luigi's face on them

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I used to have a Metroid Prime shirt with the logo up front but it's long disintegrated. It was really comfortable.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I didn't even know Metroid Prime had its own logo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tap my mountain posted:

The reason why it was received so well was because of the sea shanties.

Sea Shanty Simulator was okay.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I bought this friend last year on a whim. Never been big on plushies, but it's really well made and I find myself squeezing it quite a lot.

It's good.

This guy is my fav

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

I didn't even know Metroid Prime had its own logo.

Yeah it's cool as hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i had an hmd shirt from viewtiful joe

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That's just the screw attack

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

[you are now thinking about Metroid Picking Up an Item jingle]

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I said come in! posted:

What happened with Ghost Recon Wild Lands? That seemed to have released to absolutely zero fanfare and no one bought it?

The core stealth/shooting gameplay is fun but the world is needlessly huge and navigating it is a chore that takes too long even with fast travel. There's no option to restart missions either, so if you fail a side mission you have to drive all the way back to the starting point. For every good thing the game does there's five lovely ones that pop up every 10 minutes and make it hard to enjoy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's good.

nice. i found a good bunch of cool pokemon plushies on play asia on the official pokemon store. found a really cute offcial cubone plushy as well as abra plushy.

Zaphod42 posted:

The reason why it was received so well was because of the sea shanties.

Sea Shanty Simulator was okay.

This guy is my fav

same. mine sits on top of my tv and has a little plastic headcrab on his head.

for this months gaming. it honestly depends, I bit the bullet and bought the bullestorm remaster on psn. yeah gearbox can gently caress itself to death, but the money apperently is going to people can fly. plus i loved the game when it came out because it was basically borderlands done right. other then that. i may try for persona 5 and maybe pick up neir automata and horizon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's just the screw attack

The screw attack's a simple lightning bolt in a circle.

The Metroid Prime logo is a lot more stylized.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

It's a fun game actually though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh no, i love malwarebytes but it updated the other day and now my web exclusions list isn't working.

the only site i exclude is discord :(

• Locked thread