Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Duckman2008 posted:

No it's just advertising. The plans are all structured the same way: base rate and $20 per line.

FYI the 2GB plan is :
$35
$20 per line
So $55 for one person.

Since you only have one line, you can do the single line plan:
$40 for 5GB / $35 if you do auto pay
$20 for one phone line
So $55-60 for 5GB instead of 2GB. Only catch is you can only have one phone line.

Btw, you can get a worm discount in either plan if you get a discount from your company.

Well, the single device plans look like they are limited to non-smartphones or at least it seems that way according to their website. And it looks like at the end when you pick the plan it rolls you into their new plan structure regardless.

I mean, It's not that big a deal in the long run. I almost never even break 1GB data usage on my current plan because anytime I'm actively using my phone for internet it's somewhere I've got wifi anyways. The $35 plan is fine, +20 for the device fee and +25 for the phone puts me right around what I'm paying for my current plan anyways plus I get a new phone out of it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm looking for a new phone to replace my HTC One M8 and I'm considering the Pixel or Pixel XL.

How well does the XL fit in standard jeans pockets? The M8 feels pretty OK but I know the Pixel XL is a bit bigger.

Also: are there any "first gen hardware" issues to consider with either the Pixel or XL? I'd considered waiting for the next gen but my current phone's performance is diving pretty badly and my Verizon contract is up for renewal anyway.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

Well, the single device plans look like they are limited to non-smartphones or at least it seems that way according to their website. And it looks like at the end when you pick the plan it rolls you into their new plan structure regardless.

I mean, It's not that big a deal in the long run. I almost never even break 1GB data usage on my current plan because anytime I'm actively using my phone for internet it's somewhere I've got wifi anyways. The $35 plan is fine, +20 for the device fee and +25 for the phone puts me right around what I'm paying for my current plan anyways plus I get a new phone out of it.

Just buy an unlocked phone directly from apple/google, put it on Cricket and live with your ~35 per month bill plus whatever your phone costs. no line fee

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Looking for some recommendations for a new/used phone

Requirements:
Budget: up to $350 (willing to buy used)

Platform: Android

Storage: 32-64GB

Form Factor: 2.85 inches wide maximum

Unlocked

Any suggestions? Please don't make me go watch lovely youtube reviews to figure out what's not poo poo atm

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'm looking for a new phone to replace my HTC One M8 and I'm considering the Pixel or Pixel XL.

How well does the XL fit in standard jeans pockets? The M8 feels pretty OK but I know the Pixel XL is a bit bigger.

Also: are there any "first gen hardware" issues to consider with either the Pixel or XL? I'd considered waiting for the next gen but my current phone's performance is diving pretty badly and my Verizon contract is up for renewal anyway.

Fits in my front jeans pocket fine and I'm not a large person.

El Mero Mero posted:

Looking for some recommendations for a new/used phone

Requirements:
Budget: up to $350 (willing to buy used)

Storage: 32-64GB

Form Factor: 2.85 inches wide maximum

Unlocked

Any suggestions? Please don't make me go watch lovely youtube reviews to figure out what's not poo poo atm

You want the Moto G+ with 64GB of storage. Available with or without ads.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
I'm looking to get a new plan and phone on a short time scale. My current phone (a Moto X 2nd gen) has largely kicked the bucket (black screen, but is otherwise responding to touch and voice), and while I love my grandfathered Republic Wireless plan, finding phones that would qualify for it, fit my needs, and are actually, you know, available, is tough. And I bet they'd start to show their age within the year.

Phone Requirements:
Storage: 32+ GB
Features: WiFi calling (and it looks like both the phone and the plan have to match up for this to work)

Phone Preferences:
Size: Not enormous
Camera: Good at taking pictures/video of uncooperative cats
Features: Some level of water proofing because I'm a slob that takes my phone into the bath (never dropped it in, though), decent battery life
Unlocked
Price: probably not more than ~$400 when going for gently used? I can easily afford more, and will make the jump if there's enough quality/features to justify it, but it'd feel excessive

As far as my phone habits go, I usually use between 3 and 4 GBs of data a month, sometimes a smidge more. I'm used to 3G speeds, so throttling wouldn't be that bad for me. Single line, but I have a friend that would be willing to jump in if it wasn't too much more than his current $40/month. The T-Mobile 4GB for $45 prepaid plan is looking like the best fit to me right now, but I haven't done a ton of digging yet. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of deals for somebody like me who regularly uses a nice chunk of data, but not an enormous amount of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

I'm looking to get a new plan and phone on a short time scale. My current phone (a Moto X 2nd gen) has largely kicked the bucket (black screen, but is otherwise responding to touch and voice), and while I love my grandfathered Republic Wireless plan, finding phones that would qualify for it, fit my needs, and are actually, you know, available, is tough. And I bet they'd start to show their age within the year.

Phone Requirements:
Storage: 32+ GB
Features: WiFi calling (and it looks like both the phone and the plan have to match up for this to work)

Phone Preferences:
Size: Not enormous
Camera: Good at taking pictures/video of uncooperative cats
Features: Some level of water proofing because I'm a slob that takes my phone into the bath (never dropped it in, though), decent battery life
Unlocked
Price: probably not more than ~$400 when going for gently used? I can easily afford more, and will make the jump if there's enough quality/features to justify it, but it'd feel excessive

As far as my phone habits go, I usually use between 3 and 4 GBs of data a month, sometimes a smidge more. I'm used to 3G speeds, so throttling wouldn't be that bad for me. Single line, but I have a friend that would be willing to jump in if it wasn't too much more than his current $40/month. The T-Mobile 4GB for $45 prepaid plan is looking like the best fit to me right now, but I haven't done a ton of digging yet. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of deals for somebody like me who regularly uses a nice chunk of data, but not an enormous amount of it.

I guess the S7 might go on sale since the S8 is out. Only water resistant phone I can think of possibly in that price range. Good phone, just don't expect software support going forward.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

I guess the S7 might go on sale since the S8 is out. Only water resistant phone I can think of possibly in that price range. Good phone, just don't expect software support going forward.

I'm a goober that's only ever had the one smart phone and has never messed around with it software-wise. Does no software support mean that I'd be stuck having to root the phone or some poo poo if I wanted to keep Android up to date? What does it really mean for me to fall behind in Android versions? Right now the phone is mostly used as a Tumblr and Hangouts machine with sporadic forays into Pokemon Go and Puzzle and Dragons. I'm not a power user; I just suck up so much data because I take public transportation and my workplace doesn't have wifi.

And bah, it looks like for T-Mobile unlocked S7's don't have wifi calling. I'm not completely against a locked device, that's what I had with Republic Wireless. It makes me antsy, though, despite the fact that I rarely change my mind and I could easily eat the cost of replacing my phone if it came down to it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Google has been mostly interacting Android the last few versions, so you probably won't miss any big changes, at least not for a while. And they're breaking out a lot of the functionality into the Play Store, so you will still get updates for a lot of core features.

You'll potentially lose out on security updates and the like. Not sure how good Samsung is about releasing those patches.

Google has been bad about getting manufacturers updating Android, so a majority of users are a few versions behind. Most app developers target the older versions of Android for this reason.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Given that "takes good photos of cats" is actually a requirement for a good low-light camera, which just doesn't happen in budget phones, a 2016 flagship is a reasonable direction to go in.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

I'm a goober that's only ever had the one smart phone and has never messed around with it software-wise. Does no software support mean that I'd be stuck having to root the phone or some poo poo if I wanted to keep Android up to date? What does it really mean for me to fall behind in Android versions? Right now the phone is mostly used as a Tumblr and Hangouts machine with sporadic forays into Pokemon Go and Puzzle and Dragons. I'm not a power user; I just suck up so much data because I take public transportation and my workplace doesn't have wifi.

And bah, it looks like for T-Mobile unlocked S7's don't have wifi calling. I'm not completely against a locked device, that's what I had with Republic Wireless. It makes me antsy, though, despite the fact that I rarely change my mind and I could easily eat the cost of replacing my phone if it came down to it.

Other than Google's own, Samsung flagships are the best supported Android phones. My 3 year old Note 4 has been getting timely security updates every month, a quick glance through the Android thread shows much newer phones from other OEMs running security patches that are 8 months old.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm heading to Europe in a couple weeks. Will be in Scotland for a week and the Netherlands for a week. What's the best option for picking up a cheep sim card for data and maybe a few calls? Should I just grab whatever pre paid sim at the airport uponarrival in each country or is there any decent Europe wide options?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been using a piece of poo poo ZTE Valet for the past 3-4 years and I'm finally ready to upgrade to something new. I want to stick with Tracfone, since I have thousands of minutes stored up. Can I just buy any unlocked GSM smartphone and the Tracfone BYOP SIM kit?

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 6, 2017

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
In USA on ATT

Looking for fast charging, not too big, at least decent battery, as few lovely undeletable apps as possible, doesn't need to be flagship quality but smooth video playing and internet browsing is a must. Anything good for $250? What about if budget is raised to $400? I'm looking at the One Plus 3T, but is it really that much better than the Moto G4? I've heard and read mixed things. Moto G5 is 2GB of RAM only... What kinds of limitations does 2GB of RAM bring that 4GB doesn't have? Should I just get the Moto G4 Plus? What kind of real world hits would I take by going down to a Moto G4 Play? Honestly cell phones don't really seem to have gotten much better over the last half decade. My Nexus 4 still does pretty much everything just fine at age 4 1/2 (these Qs are for Mrs. Bag of Milk). Waiting isn't much of an option since the phone being replaced is wheezing its last breath.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

JoelJoel posted:

I'm heading to Europe in a couple weeks. Will be in Scotland for a week and the Netherlands for a week. What's the best option for picking up a cheep sim card for data and maybe a few calls? Should I just grab whatever pre paid sim at the airport uponarrival in each country or is there any decent Europe wide options?

I think there's capped roaming charges these days so you should be able to pick up a sim at wherever you land first and then just use that.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/money-charges/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

In USA on ATT

Looking for fast charging, not too big, at least decent battery, as few lovely undeletable apps as possible, doesn't need to be flagship quality but smooth video playing and internet browsing is a must. Anything good for $250? What about if budget is raised to $400? I'm looking at the One Plus 3T, but is it really that much better than the Moto G4? I've heard and read mixed things. Moto G5 is 2GB of RAM only... What kinds of limitations does 2GB of RAM bring that 4GB doesn't have? Should I just get the Moto G4 Plus? What kind of real world hits would I take by going down to a Moto G4 Play? Honestly cell phones don't really seem to have gotten much better over the last half decade. My Nexus 4 still does pretty much everything just fine at age 4 1/2 (these Qs are for Mrs. Bag of Milk). Waiting isn't much of an option since the phone being replaced is wheezing its last breath.

The Moto G5+ has 4GB of RAM and yes, I'd recommend you go that route. Here's the Amazon version with lockscreen ads for $240 and the one without ads should be available for $300. Just be sure to look for the 64GB version, it's the one with the RAM. This is a much better phone than the G4 Play.

You say that phones haven't improved since the Nexus 4 but the Pixel is on a whole new level when it comes to Android. That said it's about four times your budget.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: Month to Month

Budget (phone/plan): As cheap as possible

Features I know I want: Around 2GB of data or more

I'm on Verizon right now because I was living in the boonies and they were the only decent carrier that had coverage. However now I live in civilization again and I'm fairly sure I can stop paying $55/mo for data and unlimited voice and text. Like I said I don't use that much data, 2GB or less a month, and most of that is music streaming. I'm basically trying to find the cheapest plan that meets my requirements while having good coverage (I'm in the Madison, WI metro). I used to have Cricket and liked them but I'm not sure their coverage here is great. I was looking at TMobile but it sounds like Metro or Boost might be viable as well?

I am considering getting a new phone as well but I'm just tentative. I have a Moto X Pure from 2015. I mostly like it but I would like a slightly better camera especially for low-light. Slightly smaller body would be nice too although I've learned to deal with its size mostly. Budget is . . . I dunno, $400 or less would be nice.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Switch to total wireless it's verizon mvno 5gb/mo $35

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

LastInLine posted:

The Moto G5+ has 4GB of RAM and yes, I'd recommend you go that route. Here's the Amazon version with lockscreen ads for $240 and the one without ads should be available for $300. Just be sure to look for the 64GB version, it's the one with the RAM. This is a much better phone than the G4 Play.

You say that phones haven't improved since the Nexus 4 but the Pixel is on a whole new level when it comes to Android. That said it's about four times your budget.

Thanks for your help. The Nexus 4 is the only smartphone that I've ever owned, so it's hard for me to pin down exactly what the difference in 'experience' between different phones is. Specs seem like they've gotten better, slowly, and added window dressing features like fingerprint scanners. If I upgraded to a Pixel, I feel like I'd just think 'ok, everything is a little better.' What's the whole new level? Also, how would the Moto G5+ compare to the Galaxy Edge 6 in this way?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fingerprint scanners are one of the biggest quality of life improvements on phones. I will never buy another without one

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

Thanks for your help. The Nexus 4 is the only smartphone that I've ever owned, so it's hard for me to pin down exactly what the difference in 'experience' between different phones is. Specs seem like they've gotten better, slowly, and added window dressing features like fingerprint scanners. If I upgraded to a Pixel, I feel like I'd just think 'ok, everything is a little better.' What's the whole new level? Also, how would the Moto G5+ compare to the Galaxy Edge 6 in this way?

Fingerprint scanners are seriously the best thing, first off. Accept no substitute!

The Moto G5+ is currently supported, so you can expect security and feature improvements and the s6 was so bad that everyone ran away from it, the G5+ should be more performative anyway.

The Pixel is just smooth in the way iPhones are and Android has never been. It's not speed so much as consistency. On top of that the software from Marshmallow on is so much better than it used to be and the Pixel software in particular finally feels like it's written for the device it's on instead of just being generic. I've used Nexus from the One through the 6 and I was just blown away by just how much better the Pixel was. It's crazy how great it is.

All that said though the G5+ is one third the price and better than just about anything else so unless you were ready to drop $800 already you should just get the G5+ for $240/$300.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
I currently have a Galaxy S6, should I grab an S7 Edge with the prices cut down or is the upcoming S8 more worth it?

Also how is the battery life on the S7 Edge? My S6 can barely get me through the day now without a charge, how much better is the S7 Edge's life in comparison?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I currently have a Galaxy S6, should I grab an S7 Edge with the prices cut down or is the upcoming S8 more worth it?

Also how is the battery life on the S7 Edge? My S6 can barely get me through the day now without a charge, how much better is the S7 Edge's life in comparison?

Battery life is much better on the S7 Edge, the S6 had a really small battery. In general the S6 was a swing and a miss from Samsung.

What carrier do you have? There might be trade in promos to trade your S6 in S8, so I would def check. And personally, the S8 looks pretty solid, so unless it's a big price jump saving $100-150 by getting the S7 might not be worth it.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
T-Mobile, right now the S7E is $480 ($120 off from $600) compared to the S8 and S8+ at $750 and $850 respectively. I'd have to check with T-Mobile to see if they have any kind of trade-in promotions but the price difference alone might be enough to sway me to the S7E if the performance isn't much better in the S8 or if the battery life is basically the same.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've seen people complain about the edge and touching it on accident

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Blue Train posted:

I've seen people complain about the edge and touching it on accident

I spent 30 minutes with the Edge at bestbuy but realized I hated the loving thing long before then. It looked slick as hell but that was it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

East Coast, Moto g5 plus, only things I care about is unlimited text, gps,looking up recipes at the grocery store and uploading video and pics.

I was looking at project fi but not sure if there is something else?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't use a Moto G5 on Fi, so Cricket is probably your best bet.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

East Coast, Moto g5 plus, only things I care about is unlimited text, gps,looking up recipes at the grocery store and uploading video and pics.

I was looking at project fi but not sure if there is something else?

Total wireless or cricket

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I hadn't even considered cricket since they aren't on the t-mobile/verizon network but I realized I don't really need coverage that much when hiking and their plans are pretty awesome.

So thanks!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Leper Residue posted:

I hadn't even considered cricket since they aren't on the t-mobile/verizon network but I realized I don't really need coverage that much when hiking and their plans are pretty awesome.

So thanks!

If T-Mobile have good coverage for you, Mint has absurdly cheap plans in general, and a 3 month signup special going.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcanen posted:

If T-Mobile have good coverage for you, Mint has absurdly cheap plans in general, and a 3 month signup special going.

I thought Mint has a cheap trial period, but then when the trial's over their normal prices are mediocre

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I thought Mint has a cheap trial period, but then when the trial's over their normal prices are mediocre

They're significantly cheaper than Cricket, which you seem to be considering. You can get 5gb/month on Mint for $25, and 10gb/month for $35. $35 on Cricket gets you 3gb/month. Then consider they are 50% off for the first 3 months, and there's this coupon, which is 20% of all 6 and 12 month plans:

https://slickdeals.net/f/9832931-mi...e=8#commentsBox

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcanen posted:

They're significantly cheaper than Cricket, which you seem to be considering. You can get 5gb/month on Mint for $25, and 10gb/month for $35. $35 on Cricket gets you 3gb/month. Then consider they are 50% off for the first 3 months, and there's this coupon, which is 20% of all 6 and 12 month plans:

https://slickdeals.net/f/9832931-mi...e=8#commentsBox

I'm on Ting now, and with taxes and fees it comes to like $26/month for 100 minutes talk, 100 texts and <500MB data on T-Mobile's GSM network

So yeah, the yearly 2GB Mint SIm plan at a 20% discount would work out to $13,30/month. I'll have to buy international roaming separate with UpRoam, but in Canada voice/text is super cheap and the roaming credit carries over forever.

How is Mint SIm's customer service?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Is Mint just the TMo network? If you switch from T-Mobile to mint is there no difference in coverage or speed?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

How is Mint SIm's customer service?

I haven't had to use it yet. By all reports, it's pretty bad, but I personally don't think paying double to get the customer support of a non-MVNO is worth it.

quote:

Is Mint just the TMo network? If you switch from T-Mobile to mint is there no difference in coverage or speed?

Supposedly. I can't really comment personally though, since I was on Sprint and then a Sprint MVNO on my prior phone. It compares favorably to those, but I'm in an area where T-Mobile is one of the stronger networks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm on Project Fi and find babysitting my ala carte data annoying. I do really like the combined network coverage, but I also find myself having to manually set them at the edges of coverage. Being able to replace my phone with something cheaper than a Pixel in case of an accident would also be nice...

Total Wireless sounds perfect for my usage, but when I put in my Nexus 5X info, it says my phone won't work. Some Googling seems to indicate the phone will work, but I'd have to activate the SIM on a different phone first?

I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows what steps I'd have to take to bring a Nexus 5X to a new Total Wireless account?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I'm on Project Fi and find babysitting my ala carte data annoying. I do really like the combined network coverage, but I also find myself having to manually set them at the edges of coverage. Being able to replace my phone with something cheaper than a Pixel in case of an accident would also be nice...

Total Wireless sounds perfect for my usage, but when I put in my Nexus 5X info, it says my phone won't work. Some Googling seems to indicate the phone will work, but I'd have to activate the SIM on a different phone first?

I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows what steps I'd have to take to bring a Nexus 5X to a new Total Wireless account?

Just wait for it to bootloop and use your next device. :v:

I'm only half joking, you probably aren't going to have to worry for too much longer.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Does Total Wireless still cap your download and upload speeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Capped at 5 down, it's fast enough that I've never had a complaint