Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Brawnfire posted:

Actually it's pretty crazy how much of an impact that tiny touch has. It makes the ship feel more like a ship, and also more human. Do any other Star Trek vessels have that feature?

Yeah. They all have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Bloop posted:

I think DS9 is the 'that-episode' of Trek in general. It's great as a mold-breaker to contrast with the other series and loses a lot of its power without the context of TOS,TNG,and VOY.

I don't know if I can really agree with this, but I admit it may just be my personal experience influencing me here. I know a bunch of people who love DS9 and almost all of them are definitely not Star Trek fans. I actually only know one other person who both loves DS9 and loves Star Trek in general.

Edit- In retrospect, this may have something to do with DS9 having a structure that's closer to modern TV.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Paradoxish posted:

Edit- In retrospect, this may have something to do with DS9 having a structure that's closer to modern TV.

Bouncing off this: if I want to introduce someone to Star Trek I'm more likely to show them Enterprise than anything else. Enterprise looks closer to modern television and the beats and tone are closer to what you'd expect from a TV show today. No one is wearing silly space booties and there are no long establishing shots with weird synthesizer music.

Like, if someone wants cerebral sci-fi then I might show them some TNG but if they're just looking for Space Adventure then it's "Minefield" with "Dead Stop" for dessert if they enjoyed it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

Bouncing off this: if I want to introduce someone to Star Trek I'm more likely to show them Enterprise than anything else. Enterprise looks closer to modern television and the beats and tone are closer to what you'd expect from a TV show today. No one is wearing silly space booties and there are no long establishing shots with weird synthesizer music.

Like, if someone wants cerebral sci-fi then I might show them some TNG but if they're just looking for Space Adventure then it's "Minefield" with "Dead Stop" for dessert if they enjoyed it.

You're a terrible person that spreads misery wherever you go

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tighclops posted:

You're a terrible person that spreads misery wherever you go

Actually kind of curious which TNG episode y'all'd recommend for a Space Adventure.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

Zurui posted:

Actually kind of curious which TNG episode y'all'd recommend for a Space Adventure.

Captain's Holiday or Power Play

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Zurui posted:

Yep. They'll be sold by "Faith of the Heart."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The tone of the new show is going to be very difficult to nail. DS9 was the more serious, serialized show but it was still Star Trek. There is a certain tone to the franchise where even when serious it has it's light and fun moments. I know a lot of people would love it if ST:D had the tone of say BSG or The Expanse, but for me that just wouldn't be Star Trek. Though bringing on Harry Mudd shows a step in the right direction.

It's hard to describe, but while it shouldn't be light, overly funny, or bland per se, Star Trek isn't like a lot of other scifi shows. If Discovery doesn't nail that, that will gently caress it up far more than poo poo like canon or setting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Oh. Yes.

Trip report: DS9 season 1, episode 9 "Move Along Home."

Someone please tell me it only gets better from here. How did these shows survive? I realize television has always been mostly a wasteland, but were we that desperate?

TNG seasons 1and 2 say yes, we were.

Anyways if you get to the end of Duet, one of the final season 1 episodes, and still think the show needs to get better than you are beyond saving. There are still bad episodes to come after that but it's one of the high water marks of the entire series and shows exactly what DS9 was capable of.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

"Duet" is an adaptation of The Man in the Glass Booth, though, so it would have been hard to go wrong.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I watched half of Day of the Dove the other day.

Being a semi omnipotent god alien setting crewmembers against one another would be a pretty cool video game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Bloop posted:

Move Along Home I think gave us an early peek into redeeming Quark. It's silly but not bad exactly or against character at all. It's a big universe, silly is out there. Not everything had to be grimdark.
Happy emotions and positive conclusions are for tiny baby children. Only in SUFFERING... can the true test of BLOOD be FORGED!

BLOODFORGE: FALL '96

Astroman posted:

It's hard to describe, but while it shouldn't be light, overly funny, or bland per se, Star Trek isn't like a lot of other scifi shows. If Discovery doesn't nail that, that will gently caress it up far more than poo poo like canon or setting.
Yeah, Trek has a certain verve to it which is not commonly present in a lot of things now. It's not even the optimism, though it's partially that. It's like the universe is frowning in a lot of modern poo poo in a way it does not in Trek, save maybe Enterprise. Maybe it's a 9/11 thing.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 1, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Yeah. They all have it.

Wow. Sokath, his eyes uncovered!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Behr was DS9 showrunner for most of its run (it was originally Piller, but he left to run VOY instead) and Moore was just in the writers' room.
Piller ran the show from seasons 1-3, then he gave it over to Behr for the rest of the series. Moore was one of the main writers.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

CPColin posted:

You know an episode is going to be awesome when Lwaxana shows up. :colbert:

:hfive:
Lwaxana is great. There is a certain kind of fan that always gets weird when anything to do with sex touches their favorite show, be it Lwaxana Troi in this or the advent of romance in Doctor Who. Riker is the best dude in all of Next Gen, and you will notice in general where everyone else gets all weird whenever Lwaxana or really any romantic interest shows up, Riker just rolls with it. Most Trek fans are far too Geordie when they should be more like Rike.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Been watching Voyager all day, on Season 7.

Walk to the kitchen and Live Free or Die Hard is playing. Hear a familiar voice... oh hi! Yippee Ki-yay, Mr. Vulcan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Isn't Garrett Wang also in it

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nah just Tuvok, who plays yet another fed, because for some reason he got cast as one something like nine times over the course of the 2000s.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I swear both Russ and Wang were in one of those more recent Die Hard movies.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Russ and Wang, two hard-boiled Miami detectives, coming to CBS this fall!

Sorry. According to IMDB, Wang has never been in a Die Hardest.

E: I'm going to guess you're somehow mistaking Live Free or Die Hard with ALONGSIDE NIGHT, THE KEVIN SORBO 90S SCI-FI/FANTASY B ACTORS REUNION TOUR.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 2, 2017

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I believe the life cycle goes 90s Sci-Fi TV main cast > Die Hard bit part > Dragon Age voice role.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Yeah. They all have it.

And it still leaves ambiguity an space, as the ship could be upside-down and backwards.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Orv posted:

E: I'm going to guess you're somehow mistaking Live Free or Die Hard with ALONGSIDE NIGHT, THE KEVIN SORBO 90S SCI-FI/FANTASY B ACTORS REUNION TOUR.

Just pretend they're from mirror universe Voyager where they're pulling a Gabriel Bell of their own.

MikeJF posted:

And it still leaves ambiguity an space, as the ship could be upside-down and backwards.

Not that it matters since in ST everyone has this chivalric code of fighting nose to nose in perfectly lit arenas :v:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

skooma512 posted:

Not that it matters since in ST everyone has this chivalric code of fighting nose to nose in perfectly lit arenas :v:

This was programmed in at the genetic level by those precursors played by the Female Changeling actress.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I can only tolerate the Storyteller if I pretend that O'Brien is larping as a bard.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

e^^^ If the Storyteller were in any other Trek series, people wouldn't even have noticed it was kinda bad.

Rhyno posted:

I was about to donate money to PAD's thing but honestly, he hosed up. He could have taken care of this a long time ago. poo poo, when I was audited the IRS settled for 40% of the deliiquent taxes. If he'd been proactive about this any time in the last 20 years he wouldn't have to beg for money.

Yeah, for all people like to slag on the evil IRS, they rarely come down hard on anyone who hasn't been seriously delinquent for a long period of time and, if all those debt consolidation ads where people brag about owing a million dollars and not having to pay it are to be believed, they'll practically let you get away with murder just to get some of the money back.

I just lol every time some famous person gets in trouble for not paying taxes for twenty years and people act like it's some horrible witch hunt. Yeah, I mean, I get that Wesley Snipes and Nicholas Cage aren't exactly Al Capone, but they're hardly victims either.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 2, 2017

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MikeJF posted:

Ehhh, not really. There's a third light which is usually only visible from behind. Just a simple white lamp to indicate aft.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Beachcomber posted:

This was programmed in at the genetic level by those precursors played by the Female Changeling actress.

Speaking of which:

Our favorite female changeling :

Came from the year 5000:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Duckbag posted:

I just lol every time some famous person gets in trouble for not paying taxes for twenty years and people act like it's some horrible witch hunt. Yeah, I mean, I get that Wesley Snipes and Nicholas Cage aren't exactly Al Capone, but they're hardly victims either.

From the way he tells it, it's not so much that he didn't pay his taxes for 20 years, and more that there was one year that he made an absolute shitton of money, but that's the year his wife emptied the bank accounts and ran off, leaving him without enough to pay the taxes on that income. Since he has yet to have another windfall on anything like that scale, he still can't pay the back taxes all these years later. You could argue that there's more he could have been doing to keep the IRS happy, but it's still a lovely situation that doesn't really sound like it's his fault. (I tossed him ten bucks. His novel I, Q is worth that much all by itself.)

And while I was looking up the link to his story, I saw that he's put up two new updates. Since he posted his plea two days ago, his fans have come through for him to the tune of $40,000. :aaaaa:
http://www.peterdavid.net/2017/04/01/the-campaign-day-two/
http://www.peterdavid.net/2017/04/02/campaign-day-three-first-thank-you-level-reached/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powered Descent posted:

And while I was looking up the link to his story, I saw that he's put up two new updates. Since he posted his plea two days ago, his fans have come through for him to the tune of $40,000. :aaaaa:
http://www.peterdavid.net/2017/04/01/the-campaign-day-two/
http://www.peterdavid.net/2017/04/02/campaign-day-three-first-thank-you-level-reached/

Hope he saves enough for next year's taxes !

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mllaneza posted:

Hope he saves enough for next year's taxes !

Yeah, somebody might want to suggest that to him, because I have a feeling he'll be in the same boat next year when he finds out internet donations from fans to pay taxes are also taxable income...

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

There are 7 seasons?

MikeJF posted:

That's why you have to leave your bridge poking out the top :downs:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had to look up the Storyteller, and I am glad I forgot that episode existed. What a snorefest.

Voyager encounters a planet where culture is based entirely on games. While introducing the Aliens to Poker, the aliens catch Tom Paris cheating they force him to play one of their games. Janeway, Torres, Kim and Kes find themselves in a bizarre maze full of strange people and traps. Neelix incessantly bothered Tuvok while he tried to figure out what happened to the crew.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I had to look up the Storyteller, and I am glad I forgot that episode existed. What a snorefest.

Voyager encounters a planet where culture is based entirely on games. While introducing the Aliens to Poker, the aliens catch Tom Paris cheating they force him to play one of their games. Janeway, Torres, Kim and Kes find themselves in a bizarre maze full of strange people and traps. Neelix incessantly bothered Tuvok while he tried to figure out what happened to the crew.

Did...did Voyager copy Move Along Home?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kibayasu posted:

Did...did Voyager copy Move Along Home?
Completely different. The head guy isn't black and they're on a ship.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hahahaha

I was just watching "The Enterprise Incident" again, and I finally noticed why the "Cloaking Device" that Kirk steals from the "Romulan Ship" (which of course looks like a Klingon ship because Romulan ships now feature Klingon design for an unspecified reason) seemed so visually familiar to me! Because it is LITERALLY the result of two props from Season 2 glued together with some slight extra plastic stuff to make it seem a little less totally obvious I guess. I'm not even kidding they just stuck one prop onto half of another prop, it's almost sad.

The two props in question? Well, the upper part of the titular character in "The Changeling" - NOMAD - stuck to one of the "Alien Receptacles" that Sargon, Thalassa, and Henoch had their consciousnesses stored in initially before switching bodies with Kirk/Spock/Pulaski in "Return To Tomorrow". I can't believe I didn't notice immediately, it's just SO blatant. I suppose re-using props and sets repeatedly is like a time-honored Star Trek tradition though, right?

Like there's that little courtyard area with a wall behind it that they use as the setting for several Starbase planets and stuff, and they pull away and show some lovingly painted backdrop with the away team using the same paneled wall as the beam-down point for ALL these planets.

But the most blatant and awful re=using of backdrops is definitely in Gamesters of Triskelion when Kirk goes down to see The Providers, and they re-use the *identical* underground painting from Devil in the Dark to show the "power source" or something I forget. But it immediately took me out of the episode and made it even more of a joke than it already was. That episode was the beginning of the end for Star Trek. Right after Coon left.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Delta Vega "Dilithium Cracking Station" matte painting showed up one or two more times as well, I think as a starbase and a city.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kaworu posted:

Well, the upper part of the titular character in "The Changeling" - NOMAD

Keep your eyes open when you get around to Requiem for Methuselah again.

Interested in many many more?

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies.htm#graphics
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies.htm#sets

:getin:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Powered Descent posted:

Keep your eyes open when you get around to Requiem for Methuselah again.

Interested in many many more?

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies.htm#graphics
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies.htm#sets

:getin:

The one that always stuck out to me was this matte painting from TNG that they used like three times for three different planets.

According to the site, there's another matte painting they used more often, but to me that one was "generic alien city" enough that I didn't really notice. This structure is a lot more distinctive and when they re-used it, they didn't change as much.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

According to the site, there's another matte painting they used more often, but to me that one was "generic alien city" enough that I didn't really notice. This structure is a lot more distinctive and when they re-used it, they didn't change as much.

When I was a kid I was super convinced that was what NYC looked like before I went there a few years later and ruined it.