Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just flicking through the plots on Wikipedia now, and I'm pretty sure that "Nana's Party" in series 2 doesn't have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010
The karaoke one didn't.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Cerv posted:

i really enjoyed it. reminiscent of the Brass Eye at many points, with the careful balance of absurdity not quite tipping over the top.
except i think Amstell should've got someone else in to do the narration. his voice just doesn't suit a (faux) serious documentary. reggie yates perhaps

Yeah, it reminded me of Time Trumpet as well. I liked the way it captured the slightly condescending tone of a documentary that looks back on "less enlightened" times, the kind that undercuts its own authority a bit whenever it oversimplifies the past. It was aware enough to laugh at Vegans as much as meat-eaters, which helped it avoid feeling preachy while still delivering a good case for the lifestyle. It set itself quite a tightrope and I thought it did well to balance it all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really glad to hear that, as my main issue with it conceptually was how irritatingly smug it sounded. May have to check it out.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

HopperUK posted:

Thought this series was really solid. I hope the Beeb don't hang onto series 4 for too long.

Next year, apparently

I had it in my head for some reason that this was the last series, so that's great news. Must have been thinking about something else coming back for a final series (possibly Review, which while not UK TV, everyone should be watching it! I don't know if it's even been shown in this part of the world?).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A fourth season would make this Pemberton and Shearsmith's longest collaboration. The League of Gentlemen got three and Psychoville got two. I guess the format allowing them to keep things fresh helps.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Baron Corbyn posted:

A fourth season would make this Pemberton and Shearsmith's longest collaboration. The League of Gentlemen got three and Psychoville got two. I guess the format allowing them to keep things fresh helps.

Yeah, I'm delighted. Nothing in media pleases me quite as much as their particular tone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mr N posted:

The karaoke one didn't.

And for the most parts the twists make the story, it wouldn't really work without it. This one was double twist and the second one was terrible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lots of super boring one-hit-and-it's-done fights in Robot Wars

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
But what a hit!!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Because Robot Wars is garbage.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I love to watch robot wars and talk to me dad about it

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

the Edith Evans Importance of Being Earnest is back on iPlayer and it's as wonderful on the 100th viewing as the 1st.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

I love to watch robot wars and talk to me dad about it

Do you talk about how poo poo it is

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Do you talk about how poo poo it is

We talk about how we could improve each robot and the format itself

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

We talk about how we could improve each robot and the format itself

The robots could be improved by being thrown in the bin and the format could be improved by replacing it with episodes of anything featuring Gregg Wallace.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

The robots could be improved by being thrown in the bin and the format could be improved by replacing it with episodes of anything featuring Gregg Wallace.

Id like to drive my spinning blade into Greg Wallaces stupid baldy head :twisted:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd like to watch a tv show about you coming to terms with Gregg Wallace being your new dad by pretending to be a robot.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I'd like to watch a tv show about you coming to terms with Gregg Wallace being your new dad by pretending to be a robot.

So would i

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

Would people be allowed to bang this robot and, if so, would it be considered cheating?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Disgusting Coward posted:

Would people be allowed to bang this robot and, if so, would it be considered cheating?
Well how do you think their significant other would feel?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Akuma posted:

Well how do you think their significant other would feel?

John Torode? Probably wouldn't mind

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So the karaoke episode is the only one where nobody dies ?
Maybe I'm wrong.
A lot of people didn't like it, but I kinda did.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mrfart posted:

Maybe I'm wrong.

Well technically nobody dies in 'Sardines'. Yet.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

mrfart posted:

Maybe I'm wrong.

I loved the karaoke one.

Up there with the holidays of whassername for me.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

mrfart posted:

I don't think anyone did in the one about the bill, did they? I thought the karaoke one was the weakest of the latest series, the constant music worked for the story, but just annoyed me a bit.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

No-one dies in Nana's Party. Does anyone die in the Macbeth one? I know Steve Pemberton's character gets paralysed but I think that's it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Escobarbarian posted:

I like that when it's a really impressive one. I also like the attrition of it - your robot gets slowly buggered as time goes on.

Overall I'm really loving this series so far tbh!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

mrfart posted:

Maybe I'm wrong.

I felt like that was one of the better episodes. The show can produce some really engaging stories when it's not leaning too heavily on being shocking or having a big twist

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

I like that when it's a really impressive one. I also like the attrition of it - your robot gets slowly buggered as time goes on.

Overall I'm really loving this series so far tbh!

What?!?! But didn't you hear that one pretentious douchebag harp on about how it's actually bad???

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Just caught the new Line of Duty, looks promising. I'm a fan of the series in general as it's one I'm consistently wrong when guessing what's happening / whodunnit.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Red Oktober posted:

Just caught the new Line of Duty, looks promising. I'm a fan of the series in general as it's one I'm consistently wrong when guessing what's happening / whodunnit.

It does look fun. I was suprised they didn't end it at season 3 since season 3 seemed like a good wrap up point. Season one was by far the weakest imo, but that's probably to be expected. So far 4 looks to be better than 1 at least.

I wonder if they're going to do another multiple series arc with escelating police corruption until we find out the queen is running a satanic cult in the police or something.

(Seriously though the literal Jimmy Saville cameo was great.)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Anybody else watch Fortitude?

I've found this season to be increasingly silly and Lostish, but I was utterly unprepared for what I saw in episode 9. I had to lie down on the carpet afterwards.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Anybody else watch Fortitude?

I've found this season to be increasingly silly and Lostish, but I was utterly unprepared for what I saw in episode 9. I had to lie down on the carpet afterwards.

I'd like to hear more about this carpet.
Colour? Comfort? Pile?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

I'd like to hear more about this carpet.
Colour? Comfort? Pile?

It's beige. Deep pile. Comforting.

The sort of carpet you need to feel under your body after you've watched the scene I'm referring to in episode nine of Fortitude.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched s1 but on the advice of a friend who still checks it out have given s2 a miss. Been working out of the Sky offices the past week so been seeing a massive poster for it on the side of their multi-storey car park every day lol

Is the scene you're talking about someone castrating themselves or something of the sort? Cause aforementioned friend brought that up and yeah gross

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah that's the one but in my book castration is cutting off just the balls not also hacking through your penis I also really doubt he could have sorted out the wound with a soldering iron.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Watched Robot Wars last night, disappointed in the lack of flippers. On the plus side it reminded me to check if Díotóir's website was still up and I have good news

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
diotoir diotor diotior díotóir robotwar robotwars robot war wars bbc competition heavyweight 1998 UK USA links nemesis wars mentorn vantec ugachaka gauntlet sumo robot-wars robot_wars sportsmanship award winner spike fur furry feoras pete peter redmond stainless steel pneumatic london dublin ireland irish aircorps air corps avionics willie murphy joe gavin john cunnane zulu william cairon byrne necromancer an tarbh donn dubh dearg gerry ryan bbc2 battlebots 2fm nelson amari blade spear spike feoras robots roadblock killalot dead metal matilda bash sergent sgt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

cloudchamber posted:

diotoir diotor diotior díotóir robotwar robotwars robot war wars bbc competition heavyweight 1998 UK USA links nemesis wars mentorn vantec ugachaka gauntlet sumo robot-wars robot_wars sportsmanship award winner spike fur furry feoras pete peter redmond stainless steel pneumatic london dublin ireland irish aircorps air corps avionics willie murphy joe gavin john cunnane zulu william cairon byrne necromancer an tarbh donn dubh dearg gerry ryan bbc2 battlebots 2fm nelson amari blade spear spike feoras robots roadblock killalot dead metal matilda bash sergent sgt
Weirdly when I first scanned this I saw the words "gerry adams" but now they're not there.

Not sure what that says about me.