Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jose posted:

Why is the soul of a demon worth so many souls?

Same reason Deacons of the Deep are worth 20k while Aldrich is worth only 15k: :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is there a bonfire after that big gauntlet in the Ringed City of Fire knight dudes, lovely lightning dudes, and fat tree orbhead men? I mean the bit with the big stair downwards with that NPC at the top

yeah, to the right in the swamp after the stairs. it took me like 4 tries to get there killing everything and i have 500k souls now on ng+. it's ridiculous how long that path is

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I didn't bother trying but I'm curious now: What can be parried in TRC? I'm pretty confident Ringed Knights and any invaders can. How about the fat knights? Any of the bosses, besides Spears obviously?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I love co-op, it's one of my favorite parts of the game.

:same:

And I'm real glad that FROM finally conceded and made it super easy to co-op with friends in BB and DS3. The ring in DS2 was better than nothing, but passwords are even better.

And AFAIK there's not even level ranges anymore, it just adjusts your level to whoever you co-op with.

My only wish is that we could somehow stay in a session with friends after the host dies, and just automatically burn another ember. It takes a couple minutes to re-summon every time. But no biggie.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is there a bonfire after that big gauntlet in the Ringed City of Fire knight dudes, lovely lightning dudes, and fat tree orbhead men? I mean the bit with the big stair downwards with that NPC at the top

sort of. You need to run through the muck and up a ruined building and take a right off the back of it.
If you need to run though the back alley past the curse guys. You'll take fall damge but it'll spare you a few haralds

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zaphod42 posted:

:same:

And I'm real glad that FROM finally conceded and made it super easy to co-op with friends in BB and DS3. The ring in DS2 was better than nothing, but passwords are even better.

DS2 had the best co-op in that t he game actively encouraged it at all times because of the small white soapstone and it was really good. massive step backwards DS3/BB not having one

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

man it really feels like this game was not at all designed for doing playthroughs with a lot of weapons and builds. Tried using spears, got destroyed by everything. Tried leveling faith, I hit like a wet fart with everything including my single lightning-throwing spell. My attempts at experimental runs usually end up getting stone-walled at Cathedral of the Deep. It just feels like a lot of enemies were designed entirely around the straight sword.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 1, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Augus posted:

man it really feels like this game was not at all designed for doing playthroughs with a lot of weapons and builds. Tried using spears, got destroyed by everything. Tried leveling faith, I hit like a wet fart with everything in luring my one lightning-throwing spell. My attempts at experimental runs usually end up getting stone-walled at Cathedral of the Deep. It just feels like a lot of enemies were designed entirely around the straight sword.

B Team Best Team. DS2 was easily the best

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jose posted:

DS2 had the best co-op in that t he game actively encouraged it at all times because of the small white soapstone and it was really good. massive step backwards DS3/BB not having one

I don't know what that does so it's not really communicated and probably didn't work out that well

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
What's the deal with the extra angel that shows up at the start of the Dreg Heap after you finish the dlc? Where's it's summoner?

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Dragonwagon posted:

What's the deal with the extra angel that shows up at the start of the Dreg Heap after you finish the dlc? Where's it's summoner?

It's the angel of the merchant that you meet at the beginning of the DLC- she dies at some point along the way.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jose posted:

B Team Best Team. DS2 was easily the best

I've been going back and forth between Dark Souls 3 and Scholar of the First Sin, and while SotFS is better with making builds viable, there's still some really stupid stuff. Like the entirety of Brightstone Cove. The sorcerers that snipe you from the top of the level where you can't reach them without a bow if you rest at the bonfire at the bottom of the stage. Or those stupid spider-men that have hitboxes that are active before the actual attack animation begins and can hit you in the middle of an attack even if you just poise-broke them. A bunch of enemies in both games are rude as hell towards Greatsword users, they're programmed to counter you immediately after having their poise broken and seem to get complete superarmor while they do that, and the endlag on some attacks in SotFS is so bad that you can't roll away before they counter you.

What I'm saying is Dark Souls 1 is the best one.

Dragonwagon posted:

There is no summoner, this one behaves like a normal enemy.You might notice another thing that also changes in the Dreg Heap, if you pay attention...

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I don't know what that does so it's not really communicated and probably didn't work out that well

what? it worked out very well. It was just like the white sign soapstone except you didn't have to kill a boss and you didn't get a covenant reward.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jose posted:

They just need to relax the rules and let you use the normal white soapstone even if you've killed a boss.

And for that matter, do something I've been asking for years: let us refight bosses without having to go through NG+. Oh well.

Augus posted:

man it really feels like this game was not at all designed for doing playthroughs with a lot of weapons and builds. Tried using spears, got destroyed by everything. Tried leveling faith, I hit like a wet fart with everything including my single lightning-throwing spell. My attempts at experimental runs usually end up getting stone-walled at Cathedral of the Deep. It just feels like a lot of enemies were designed entirely around the straight sword.

I've beaten the game 5 times and never used the straight sword once :shrug: Greatsword, Curved Greatsword, Katana, Spear / Halberd, Dual Swords... everything is viable.

Hate to say it dude but... git gud?

Augus posted:

A bunch of enemies in both games are rude as hell towards Greatsword users

Is this trolling? April fools?

Greatsword is so easy in every souls game because of the insane reach and cleave. Swing, roll, swing, roll, game over.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 1, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Greatsword is so easy in every souls game because of the insane reach and cleave. Swing, roll, swing, roll, game over.

I'm not saying its hard, I'm saying that a lot of times you get hit by dumb garbage for no reason.
Like the previously mentioned "attacks that do damage before their animation actually starts"

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Augus posted:

1 is full of its own stupid poo poo going too, don't just think the entire game was undead burg and parish and darkroot garden

For every "sorcerors shooting at you from across the map" there's also "toxic blowdart snipers" and "anor londo archers" and "the entirety of lost izalith"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mighty Dicktron posted:

1 is full of its own stupid poo poo going too, don't just think the entire game was undead burg and parish and darkroot garden

For every "sorcerors shooting at you from across the map" there's also "toxic blowdart snipers" and "anor londo archers" and "the entirety of lost izalith"

the blowdart dudes and anor londo archers aren't placed in parts of the map that are literally impossible to reach if you start from the wrong bonfire or take certain paths to get items. I legitimately like Shrine of Amana, I think Brightstone Cove is a really dumb clusterfuck
Yeah tho Lost Izalith is legitimately stupid through and through.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 1, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Ds1 had the slippery edges that drove me crazy

E: the part of brightstone with the Smith is dumb as gently caress

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Brightstone Cove is a great area you silly geese. Just make sure to Try Torch at all times.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Sum Gai posted:

It's the angel of the merchant that you meet at the beginning of the DLC- she dies at some point along the way.

I figured that might be it but she didn't turn into a monster like the other guys. I guess she's special since she's the high priestess.

Fuligin posted:

Brightstone Cove is a great area you silly geese. Just make sure to Try Torch at all times.

Brightstone is bad because I have to go through it several times to pick up every item.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Really though what I really want is to just be able to level up at the drat bonfire without warping.

Fuligin posted:

I did. It's still extremely stupid and cluttered level design. I admit it's one of the areas where the game does try to make things interesting to explore but the execution falls flat on its face.

EDIT: Since I'm probably coming across as overly negative, Note that I still really like Dark Souls 3 even though it feels like each area has to have one enemy that breaks the rules of the game and kicks you in the face repeatedly.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 1, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Augus posted:

I'm not saying its hard, I'm saying that a lot of times you get hit by dumb garbage for no reason.
Like the previously mentioned "attacks that do damage before their animation actually starts"

Which attacks?

I dunno, I can't really think of any time you get hit for "no reason". You get hit because enemies have certain attacks... but you learn to avoid those attacks?? Be careful.

I've never used a shield once in DS3 after playing BB without and never had any trouble getting hit for "no reason". Just gotta fight smart.

The closest thing I can think of to "no reason" is getting hit by a boss' backhand, but that... makes sense? You learn to stay further away from the windup on those attacks.
DS2 was way worse for me with bosses grabbing me even though they didn't touch me. DS3 though... I really can't think of anything that bad.

Fuligin posted:

Yeah and you can run through it in like 30 seconds if you don't care to get all the stuff.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

An items use was not clearly communicated in a dark souls game. You know what a regular soapstone does, right?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

brightstone cove was one of the few general areas i actually liked in ds2, but mostly because it made me think that it was something that would have been in demons souls

which doesn't say too much about the game it's in, but, hey

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Augus posted:

EDIT: Since I'm probably coming across as overly negative, Note that I still really like Dark Souls 3 even though it feels like each area has to have one enemy that breaks the rules of the game and kicks you in the face repeatedly.

I was super frustrated starting the game because I didn't play blood borne so basically everything in high wall was a curve ball

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Brightstone is bad because of that one canyon area. And it's ugly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Augus posted:

DSP, is that you?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
brightstone pissed me off because of that one spot where you can't get back up a 1-foot drop once you step off it. I know it's literally just cosmetic but it made me feel bad. I seem to recall that there was also something about the spider men that made it unnecessarily finicky to kill them without taking a hit, like something similar to the toxic mist tumor guys in Ariamis but instead of making a weak enemy dangerous it made a weak enemy annoying. In summary i remember it as a cool looking area that I didn't enjoy much. Thank you for your time.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
While we're on the subject of DS2 the Crowns DLC is better than the DS3 DLC (with the possible exception of Iron Crown).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

swamp waste posted:

brightstone pissed me off because of that one spot where you can't get back up a 1-foot drop once you step off it. I know it's literally just cosmetic but it made me feel bad. I seem to recall that there was also something about the spider men that made it unnecessarily finicky to kill them without taking a hit, like something similar to the toxic mist tumor guys in Ariamis but instead of making a weak enemy dangerous it made a weak enemy annoying. In summary i remember it as a cool looking area that I didn't enjoy much. Thank you for your time.

The spider men have a claw attack that sometimes goes off as they die. Much like the bloated Hollows from DS1, if you don't kill them from range you need to instantly roll back when you kill them or you'll feel the pain. The animation for it is really lovely though, it looks like it's just part of their regular death animation so you're practically guaranteed to get hit by it unless you know what's up. But a lot of DS2 enemies have lovely animations, what else is new.

Brightstone isn't a very well designed area, more than maybe any other it's emblematic of how some DS2 levels are designed as colorless one-way trips almost despite themselves. It asks you to envision this forgotten town on the walls of a rift surrounding a sinkhole where ancient miners once delved too deep and woke a big loving spider that ruined everything, but in practice it's so very low effort in getting any of that across to you it just makes me wish I were in Stonefang Tunnel instead, which took a pretty similar concept way way further years before. It just wants to get you in and then get you out. To add insult to injury it's full of mutually exclusive drops of no return, though I guess Stonefang had a bit of that going on too. And to add indignity to all that, its name was mangled by the translator. It could not possibly be considered a cove - it's a town not even close to any body of water - and the name is "Jeldora", not "Tseldora" ( ジェルドラ vs ツェルドラ, which is a pretty easy mistake to make I guess but drat.)

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Augus posted:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Undead Settlement is a great level, it really could've easily worked with just one mid-level bonfire. The two bonfires in the middle of it are directly connected to each other by a shortcut anyway, so why not take out the dilapidated bridge one?

Nuebot posted:

DSP, is that you?

In Dark Souls 2 I got hit by a spider's attack after killing the spider. A physical attack mind you. The enemy died, fell to the ground, I got its souls, and then I took damage from his claw swipe that I'd interrupted.
My main problem with DS3 really is just that the way the game treats enemy poise/stamina is really inconsistent and it seems to quietly change the rules behind the scenes at certain points. And unlike Bloodborne this game doesn't have a mechanic where when you get hit by a randomly flailing enemy you can heal by hitting them back.

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 1, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

While we're on the subject of DS2 the Crowns DLC is better than the DS3 DLC (with the possible exception of Iron Crown).

The DS2 DLC ruled hard, but I like Ringed City a lot too. Way better than Ashes. I think Ringed City compares pretty well to Sunken or Frozen.

Also I really like Iron and the Castlevania style level design it has.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I've been going back and forth between Dark Souls 3 and Scholar of the First Sin, and while SotFS is better with making builds viable, there's still some really stupid stuff. Like the entirety of Brightstone Cove. The sorcerers that snipe you from the top of the level where you can't reach them without a bow if you rest at the bonfire at the bottom of the stage. Or those stupid spider-men that have hitboxes that are active before the actual attack animation begins and can hit you in the middle of an attack even if you just poise-broke them. A bunch of enemies in both games are rude as hell towards Greatsword users, they're programmed to counter you immediately after having their poise broken and seem to get complete superarmor while they do that, and the endlag on some attacks in SotFS is so bad that you can't roll away before they counter you.

There is no summoner, this one behaves like a normal enemy.You might notice another thing that also changes in the Dreg Heap, if you pay attention...

I just finished the grand archives lol

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Fun Fashion Souls in this DLC

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Augus posted:

In Dark Souls 2 I got hit by a spider's attack after killing the spider. A physical attack mind you. The enemy died, fell to the ground, I got its souls, and then I took damage from his claw swipe that I'd interrupted.

That's not a mistake, that's an attack that the spider-dudes do. They have a last-ditch attack when they die sometimes. If you want to avoid it, use a longer range weapon or attack from places that aren't straight on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mary had a little clam posted:

Yep

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mighty Dicktron posted:

That's not a mistake, that's an attack that the spider-dudes do. They have a last-ditch attack when they die sometimes. If you want to avoid it, use a longer range weapon or attack from places that aren't straight on.

...seriously? if that's an actual thing I can't say it was well-conveyed. I never saw the animation for it and it only ever hit me once. :shrug:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

mary had a little clam posted:

Desert Sorceres cosplay is back?!

:fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Augus posted:

My main problem with DS3 really is just that the way the game treats enemy poise/stamina is really inconsistent and it seems to quietly change the rules behind the scenes at certain points. And unlike Bloodborne this game doesn't have a mechanic where when you get hit by a randomly flailing enemy you can heal by hitting them back.

It is you!