Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

you know the best thing about nepeta is how she became a joke that dies a lot

It was a better fate than what happened to the characters who survived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I liked the punk Vriska development and her weird unhealthy relationship with Meenah then post-Retcon Vriska showing up to yell at her because it was an interesting development both for each instance of Vriska and also the ur-Vriska. Unfortunately it's part of the sticky mess where the Retcon awkwardly tried to shift the focus of who's the "real" version of most of the characters from the pre-Retcon ones onto the post-Retcon ones so punk Vriska got an okay sendoff while post-Retcon Vriska exists in a quantum state of vindicated/comeuppance'd since it's still unclear if she actually beat Lord English in the end or not.

Having everything to do with all the characters who confront Lord English amount to nothing is certainly one of the glaring, explicit failures of the story that no amount of "actually the heroes escaped the story and Lord English is trapped inside of an unfinished climax scene forever" meta-narrative can fix.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

you know the best thing about nepeta is how she became a joke that dies a lot

shots fired

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

at nepetas, usually

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Let's not be deathist, now. Kankri wouldn't approve.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cran posted:

Let's not be deathist, now. Kankri wouldn't approve.

trigger warning: stern disapproval

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
kankri's bad at being an sjw because he puts his trigger warnings after the thing they're supposed to warning of

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
kankri is actually not one of the beforus trolls i had problems with (other than when he kept showing up in the other flashes)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Cran posted:

kankri is actually not one of the beforus trolls i had problems with (other than when he kept showing up in the other flashes)

Which felt insulting, then? I'm curious.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I thought dead punk Vriska was a fairly interesting case of character development, so seeing her arc literally end with her getting shouted at by retcon Vriska (the worst Vriska) was pretty garbage

Vriska ruins everything, including Vriska

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
good Vriska shouting down dull Vriska was one of the last good moments

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Insulting is definitely too strong a word. The issue I took was more with what I learned reading up on formsprings and HS's fandom history leading into the Meenah flashes. I like the Beforus Trolls on the whole, they're plenty funny on their own and have some neat points you can extrapolate from like any of the underused Alternia Trolls. If there's any specific one I dislike, it's Mituna for being loving impossible to understand.

It's just, I read they were mostly based on the worst interpretations of the Alternia Trolls and how readers regarded them, and with the tumblr skin on the flashes and the Trolls' collective pointlessness in the grander scheme, it came off like the flashes were only made to deliberately make fun of HS's own fanbase, and not affectionately.

Maybe I'm wrong? I'd be psyched if that were the case. I don't know that I have that kind of faith in Huss's sincerity.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I strongly doubt Hussie was giving a big middle finger to Tumblr with Meenahquest. Did you find and meet him in the flash, where he explains stuff like Kankri being the worst part of Social Justice, and Porrim being the best? He literally spells out his opinions on the characters for you, and the fact that there's a Tumblr skin is as incidental as Mituna having a 4chan skin, or any of the other internet relics featured in Homestuck. It's like saying that all of Snapchat is vapid and hollow based on the elements we saw in Tweetman's stuf-

Oh, I get where you're coming from, now.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I liked weenie punk Vriska because her existance implied that Vriska wasn't going to actually bother characters I actually appreciate at people, she could just get stuck in the dreambubbles where her Vriska-ness wasn't going to gently caress up everything as is her wont. So when other-Vriska shouted her down I was actually a bit unsatisfied with it.

Not nearly as bad as when the narrative basically said that without Vriska there could be no victory, after we've seen her be a terrible and deleterious team member for 9/10ths of the comic.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

my favorite 'homestuck fandom is the best/worst' joke was discovered from meenahquest, and that is that the huge blue horse dong horuss have is something hussie actually owns thanks to 4chan

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Clawtopsy posted:

my favorite 'homestuck fandom is the best/worst' joke was discovered from meenahquest, and that is that the huge blue horse dong horuss have is something hussie actually owns thanks to 4chan

Didn't they send him like a whole box of dildos back in the day?

Cran
Mar 23, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

I strongly doubt Hussie was giving a big middle finger to Tumblr with Meenahquest. Did you find and meet him in the flash, where he explains stuff like Kankri being the worst part of Social Justice, and Porrim being the best? He literally spells out his opinions on the characters for you, and the fact that there's a Tumblr skin is as incidental as Mituna having a 4chan skin, or any of the other internet relics featured in Homestuck. It's like saying that all of Snapchat is vapid and hollow based on the elements we saw in Tweetman's stuf-

Oh, I get where you're coming from, now.

Not really my point, but yeah, I get you. The Huss comments at the end of Meenahquest were nice, but they (and Karkat) also totally tell me the characters save Porrim were written to be a bunch of assholes. Between that and other totally ironic things in and out of the comic, it's hard not to think Hussie held a degree of his fanbase in noticeable contempt.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Dolash posted:

Didn't they send him like a whole box of dildos back in the day?

iirc my internet mythology correctly, it was two (One blue horse, as seen in the comic, one dragon with candy-corn colouration), an incredibly lovely wolf's head and gushers

plus a bunch of insults

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If tumblr sees Meenahquest as a direct insult to their collective self, that's just a case of them being sensitive. Homestuck was lampooning internet culture since 2009, mostly off the concept of what 13-16 year olds would've typically said or talked about in whatever the current year was. So in 2009 it was just dipshit 13 year olds talking in IM, with a completely sardonic representation of furries, juggalos, LARPers, cosplayers, programmers, 'shippers', and kids in general.

In 2011-2012, the internet had changed drastically, and social media like tumblr and twitter replaced IM and the types of things people talked about changed from general banter to social issues. Which, if you're making fun of something, and that thing has a political or ideological slant, can look like you're taking the opposite stance.

I remember from one of Hussie's formspring answers; I can't remember the exact wording of it, but he didn't have a problem with furries or shippers or fat people, he just had some kind of reverence for absurd things and likes to write about them at their most silly. As in, he was never trying to alienate parts of his audience that might be into those things, it's just he thinks they're funny and wants to write about them.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I've never been under the impression that the dude has anything against the weird poo poo people are into or Tumblr.

Read too much into it. Hey, now I like Homestuck more oh gently caress

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Cran posted:

Yeah, I've never been under the impression that the dude has anything against the weird poo poo people are into or Tumblr.

Read too much into it. Hey, now I like Homestuck more oh gently caress

like if you think hussie can throw stones about this sort of thing, google 'humanimals hussie'

also google 'fat vriska formspring'

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
That is and was never my point.

I was addressing most specifically how he regarded his fanbase as it pertained to their impressions of his work, not the quirks the characters in Meenahquest specifically represent.

Cran fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 31, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cran posted:

If Homestuck is good at anything, it's making otherwise weird characters very endearing. A lesser work would have made Dave or Jade or Equius either really embarrassing or simply flat characters that constantly try to make comedic hay out of one trait.Instead they're just people who have a few weird interests.

If the Beforus trolls failed, it's exactly because they were mostly one-note parodies that didn't have time to develop nor contribute anything to the story barring like...Aranea.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

takin all bets

4/13

will it be:

a) release of more snapchats

b) release of hiveswap

c) release of the epilogue

or

d) release of a newspost explaining most recent delay

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Release of the Rebuild of Homestuck: You Can (Not) Retcon

Spellman
May 31, 2011

e) Homestuck is scrubbed from the internet as Hussie takes on his most ambitious creative medium yet: vaporware

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

GunnerJ posted:

Release of the Rebuild of Homestuck: You Can (Not) Ship

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Clawtopsy posted:

takin all bets

4/13

will it be:

a) release of more snapchats

b) release of hiveswap

c) release of the epilogue

or

d) release of a newspost explaining most recent delay

e) NepetaQuest 2017

Nah seriously it'll be d. Possibly just a newspost saying something like "wow, another anniversary, times fly" without actually explaining anything.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I'm going for the longshot bet of c. Just so that some one is.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

f) Homestuck

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
The announcement of Homestuck Part 2.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Cran posted:

The announcement of Problem Sleuth Part 2.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Wrong universe!

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
At last, we'll get the finale of Bard's Quest.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Cran posted:

At last, we'll get the finale of Bard's Quest.

i'm crying right now dont play with my heart

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bardquest: it's like homestuck minus everything but Gamzee's god tier bottoms

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Problem Sooth

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The announcement of the official, animated adaptation of The Baby is You.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

the homestuck subreddit had it's own (despressing) april fools joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

the homestuck subreddit had it's own (despressing) april fools joke

Oh geez, that's actually kind of cruel.