Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Atticus_1354 posted:

Someone school me on the cheaper than festool track saw market. Is Grizzly worth a drat or should I go Makita so it matches my other tools? Is there an option out there that you like that I don't know about?

My friend has had a dewalt for a couple years and raves about it. My sawyer had one too and loved it, but he upgraded to festool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Thanks. I will probably go for the Makita so all my tools match. Also that is cool, but I don't know about that price.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The TSO square is the one thing that makes me consider the Makita or festool over the DeWalt (since you can get a DeWalt combo pack with the 105" rail and the 55" rail for like $580)

I'd say the lack of a riving knife is a definite downside on the Makita, but the only downside.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Hello I take wood and make it into smaller wood and then combine that wood and then make that wood smaller.

But it's flat and square and now I'm getting better at it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Has anyone made their own thickness/drum sander, or have seen any good plans for one?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I teach classes at my Hackspace and get to keep the money for new tools. I currently have $170 for a new tool. We have a drill press, miter saw, band saw, belt sander, routers, CNC, laser cutter. What would be the best general purchase (s) for that amount? I could also wait until my next class and have $340 total.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Clamps.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

huhu posted:

I teach classes at my Hackspace and get to keep the money for new tools. I currently have $170 for a new tool. We have a drill press, miter saw, band saw, belt sander, routers, CNC, laser cutter. What would be the best general purchase (s) for that amount? I could also wait until my next class and have $340 total.

Do you have a table for your router(s)?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

Has anyone made their own thickness/drum sander, or have seen any good plans for one?

I haven't but there is a guitar building forum I frequent that has a DIY tool section where there are a few guys who have built them or are in the process of building them.

http://www.tdpri.com/forums/the-diy-tool-shed.91/

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

this.

Or save for a table saw.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'd go for general workshop utility stuff with that money rather than get another power tool, unless you already have plenty of clamps, decent workbenches, a vise, etc.

Given your list, though, the next power tool I'd start saving for would be a table saw, and then maybe thickness planer? :shrug:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

NPR Journalizard posted:

This is a tool I really want to get as well. It's a shame they aren't used often enough to have a decently priced hobbyists version.

I've been considering using Matthias' plans from here: https://woodgears.ca/sander/plans/
But I do wish he had a video on making it to go along with it.

I've also debated just buying a kit from here: http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html?cat=40&limit=25
It comes with plans to build the enclosure as well, but you could customize them. You have to provide your own motor though so this could get pretty expensive.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

...unless you already have plenty of clamps...

That's really not possible.

I agree that a TS would be the next logical power tool purchase. It should only take another couple classes worth of saving to get into "completely usable" territory, especially if buying used is a possibility.

huhu, what's your hand tool situation like? Things like planes or chisels, etc. would probably be good to have multiple sets of even if you and your students are primarily working with power tools.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I think clamps and a vice or two would be a great place to start and then save the remainder of the money for later.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

this.

Or save for a table saw.
The other board members are nervous about people being idiots with the table saw which is frustrating since we have a bunch of other stuff that can kill you and a lot of my work would be easier with one.

Hubis posted:

Do you have a table for your router(s)?
I was originally looking at a table but the models I was looking at doesn't adapt to our routers. Are there worthy router/table combos for $170?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm looking for advice on a project.

I was commissioned by a coworker to create a bunch (~500) wine charms (the dangly shits that go on wine glasses).

We settled on templates that would be easy to produce, cheap, and can be customized.

Wood poker chips with a clear finish, a logo on the top, and a hole for the wire to hang it from the glass.

I have attempted to cut a dowel akin to a slicing a loaf of bread. I wanted thin wafers of dowel with cleanly cut faces. I have wrapped the dowel in masking tape to avoid tearout.

I've made test cuts on the tools available (a miter saw, band saw, table saw) and feel that the table saw (with a high TPI blade) made the cleanest cut. The table saw, however, damages the wafer when it gets close to the desired thickness (1/8").

The band saw does make the thickness cuts well, though the problem there is that there's a poor cut.

I can use the band saw, but now I need to sand the faces. Does anyone have any tips on how to sand the face of something incredibly thin? There's going to be a million of these little shits so efficiency and ease may be key and I simply don't have a lot of experience.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I can use the band saw, but now I need to sand the faces. Does anyone have any tips on how to sand the face of something incredibly thin? There's going to be a million of these little shits so efficiency and ease may be key and I simply don't have a lot of experience.

Haven't tried it, but maybe try gluing sand paper to one flat surface, and make an equal sanding board. Spread the wafers on the surface and sand with the board. That may let you sand both sides at the same time even.
You can also try with a random-orbit sander instead of a sanding board.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Good call. I ran out of time to test the random-orbit yesterday but hope to get back in the shop this weekend.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm looking for advice on a project.

I was commissioned by a coworker to create a bunch (~500) wine charms (the dangly shits that go on wine glasses).

We settled on templates that would be easy to produce, cheap, and can be customized.

Wood poker chips with a clear finish, a logo on the top, and a hole for the wire to hang it from the glass.

I have attempted to cut a dowel akin to a slicing a loaf of bread. I wanted thin wafers of dowel with cleanly cut faces. I have wrapped the dowel in masking tape to avoid tearout.

I've made test cuts on the tools available (a miter saw, band saw, table saw) and feel that the table saw (with a high TPI blade) made the cleanest cut. The table saw, however, damages the wafer when it gets close to the desired thickness (1/8").

The band saw does make the thickness cuts well, though the problem there is that there's a poor cut.

Might I suggest using a laser cutter instead? I made ornaments for Christmas -
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOckpdFj86_/?taken-by=painlessprototyping

coathat
May 21, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

I've been thinking of building one like this. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/57158

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

huhu posted:

Might I suggest using a laser cutter instead? I made ornaments for Christmas -
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOckpdFj86_/?taken-by=painlessprototyping

This would be my suggestion, assuming you don't mind burnt edges.

For sanding, though, another approach would be to tack-glue or tape the pieces to something rigid, sand them, unstick them, flip them over, stick them down again, and sand again. You definitely don't want to be individually sanding each one.

Another possible approach would be to try to set up a jig that lets you reasonably quickly cut squares into octagons, and then turn octagons into circles, on the bandsaw. You could stack probably 5+ squares at a time and do them simultaneously, and they wouldn't need any surface finishing. But I don't know what such a jig would look like.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I made a lap desk for my wife, curly walnut with maple inlay. Pretty simple, just a shallow mitred box with a hinged writing surface.

It was tough to get a pic of the figure.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Yeah, I'd go for general workshop utility stuff with that money rather than get another power tool, unless you already have plenty of clamps, decent workbenches, a vise, etc.

Given your list, though, the next power tool I'd start saving for would be a table saw, and then maybe thickness planer? :shrug:

Given that he has a band saw for rips and a miter saw for crosscuts, I'm not necessarily sure what he'd use a table saw for. Am I missing something or is it just a flexibility/preference question?

Thickness planer seems like a good suggestion. Wait for another pool of cash and you could get a p nice one.

I don't have an answer about the router table, although I have to wonder if you could just spend the $170 on materials/a nice fence and build one yourself. I admit I suggest it just because it's been on my own list lately.

E: $170 could also buy you a lot of nice jigs. I imagine the Kreg pocket hole jig would find a fair bit of use in a hacker space.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 31, 2017

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I made a lap desk for my wife, curly walnut with maple inlay. Pretty simple, just a shallow mitred box with a hinged writing surface.

It was tough to get a pic of the figure.

Do you have an action shot, it's hard to visualize it otherwise.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

This would be my suggestion, assuming you don't mind burnt edges.

For sanding, though, another approach would be to tack-glue or tape the pieces to something rigid, sand them, unstick them, flip them over, stick them down again, and sand again. You definitely don't want to be individually sanding each one.

Another possible approach would be to try to set up a jig that lets you reasonably quickly cut squares into octagons, and then turn octagons into circles, on the bandsaw. You could stack probably 5+ squares at a time and do them simultaneously, and they wouldn't need any surface finishing. But I don't know what such a jig would look like.

Brilliant. I'll see what I can batch up. otherwise it's sticky sanding jig for me.

@huhu

The lasercutter at my makerspace is laid up right now with some power problem. Beyond my reach, I'm afraid.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I got some new hex drivers and needed holders. I had a scrap segmented ring laying around, so naturally..

This kind of low-stakes shop nonsense is really cathartic.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Hypnolobster posted:

I got some new hex drivers and needed holders. I had a scrap segmented ring laying around, so naturally..

This kind of low-stakes shop nonsense is really cathartic.

Nice. I love small projects like that.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

huhu posted:

Do you have an action shot, it's hard to visualize it otherwise.

It's basically just a writing surface, instead of writing notes on a hardcover book my wife can use this and store the notes inside.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

huhu posted:

I think clamps and a vice or two would be a great place to start and then save the remainder of the money for later.

The other board members are nervous about people being idiots with the table saw which is frustrating since we have a bunch of other stuff that can kill you and a lot of my work would be easier with one.

I was originally looking at a table but the models I was looking at doesn't adapt to our routers. Are there worthy router/table combos for $170?

Band saw is probably more dangerous than a table saw assuming modern conveniences like blade guards (because lol exposed blades) and finger boards (lol kick back)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh god please no can we not have the band saw table saw fight again

You're fine spookydonut, just a couple of the thread regulars feel very passionately about the subject and the conversation can go around in circles for days.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Magres posted:

Oh god please no can we not have the band saw table saw fight again

You're fine spookydonut, just a couple of the thread regulars feel very passionately about the subject and the conversation can go around in circles for days.

Yeah I unknowingly started the last fight. Both are fine. Both can do things the other can't.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah I unknowingly started the last fight. Both are fine. Both can do things the other can't.

Which one's the best for cooking up a steak and some fries, though?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Which one's the best for cooking up a steak and some fries, though?

That would be the 7 in 1 propane driven shopsmith with fold out grill

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Spookydonut posted:

Band saw is probably more dangerous than a table saw assuming modern conveniences like blade guards (because lol exposed blades) and finger boards (lol kick back)

I am not having the argument again, but this statement is objectively not true. Data backs this up.

Also: putting "lol" next to "kickback" tells everyone just how seriously we should take your opinions on shop safety.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

GEMorris posted:

I am not having the argument again, but this statement is objectively not true. Data backs this up.

Also: putting "lol" next to "kickback" tells everyone just how seriously we should take your opinions on shop safety.

Stop

We get it, someone is wrong on the internet.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's me. I'm wrong for suggesting clamps.

Get insurance. And then, at each tool station, have a used tablet displaying a condensed safety review video.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

It's me. I'm wrong for suggesting clamps.

Get insurance. And then, at each tool station, have a used tablet displaying a condensed safety review video.

Clamps were probably the best suggestion, fwiw.

I realize I get to be the butt of jokes every time I bring this up, but people who make light of safety, or who make factually incorrect statements about safety, on a thread for amateurs, can gently caress right off.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Every person in this thread has done more damage to themselves with a chisel than any other tool, guaranteed.

So, dude who suggested chisels, back off.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Every person in this thread has done more damage to themselves with a chisel than any other tool, guaranteed.

Quoting for truth, chisels gently caress you up good. In a surprisingly quick way.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Slugworth posted:

So, dude who suggested chisels, back off.

My chisel hath tasted blood, and shall now thirst forevermore

e: on the plus side, I got it razor sharp so it was a nice clean cut. It didn't even bleed for a few seconds! :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

the spyder posted:

Despite not working in the woodshop much recently due to other projects/family stuff, I've acquired a new tool. I have wanted to move the large Rockwell/Delta 20" saw over to the metal working area for some time now. I can still use it for resawing, but I'll have to fix the gear box in it first. So, that meant I needed a smaller bandsaw for the woodworking area. I pretty much gave away the 14" Jet I had and swore off any more imports. I wanted old american iron. So this weekend, when I came across this completely rebuilt Walker Turner 14" Bandsaw from a fellow retiring at a decent price, I bit the bullet. It wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than me buying anything similar and then dropping $300 in rebuilding it. Plus, it came with a fence, 12 blades, new rubber tires, all new bearings, and it has the high/low gearbox- it's a Wood/Metal saw. The only downside is the original motor was swapped out with a Grizzly 1HP. I would have preferred to rebuild the original or used a USA Baldor, but that's just personal preference. The owner was sad to see it go, but the lucky guy was selling his shop and house to travel the world with his girlfriend.

It cuts like a dream. It's nothing like the crappy JET I had before. If I have time I'll rewire it later in the week. The orange PVC cord just does not fit it. Oh and figure out what oil it takes in the gearbox. /toolsnob

Hey, I missed this post, but quick note to say that I'm a HUGE Walker Turner fan. I've restored two of the 16" cousins of your saw, a disc/belt sander, jointer, table saw, drill press, and scroll saw. My shop pretty much reads like the 1939 catalog.

All that bragging is meant to lead to my point: Post any questions or anything you may have, and I'd be happy to help. The phrase "they don't build like that anymore" seems tailor-made for these saws, and even the Deltas of the era seem lightweight in comparison (though the Yates or Oliver are somehow still heavier!).

Good luck and enjoy it. Looks like a PO restored it, so it should last another lifetime for you.