Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I think most are in agreement that starting something brand new with AngularJS would be a poor decision, because the mindshare has mostly moved on from it and there's a wealth of strong alternatives. But if you're already sitting on an AngularJS code base there's no need to panic about a migration path or switching over soon as it's still a very solid solution to the problem of organizing a dynamic front end and will be supported for quite a while into the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Are you all staying at positions that would even warrant this long term thinking?
My last 2 years have been going from burning wreckage to burning wreckage.
I feel like I'm in a season of walking dead seeing an idyllic place and watching it destroyed from within by idiots and then everyone dies or is scattered to the winds.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been working at the same company for over ten years. I really love my company but the fantasy of making a clean break from all the lovely code that I've shipped over the past decade is definitely nice sometimes.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's hard to find good developers to work on old tech, keep in mind. Most of the really good front-end developers I know consider seeing Angular 1, jQuery, Knockout, Backbone, etc. in open req descriptions as a sign that a company doesn't invest in paying down tech debt, and consequently they'll look for something different.

Gildiss posted:

Are you all staying at positions that would even warrant this long term thinking?
My last 2 years have been going from burning wreckage to burning wreckage.
I feel like I'm in a season of walking dead seeing an idyllic place and watching it destroyed from within by idiots and then everyone dies or is scattered to the winds.

There are a handful of places in Minnesota that are easily good enough to stay at beyond 2 years. I'd imagine hotter markets like CO or Austin have even more.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Helicity posted:

It's hard to find good developers to work on old tech, keep in mind. Most of the really good front-end developers I know consider seeing Angular 1, jQuery, Knockout, Backbone, etc. in open req descriptions as a sign that a company doesn't invest in paying down tech debt, and consequently they'll look for something different.

This is something I am trying to get across to the current shop I work in. It's perfectly possible to find a sane and workable upgrade path. We still build apps on pre 1.5 Angular and a few of us who have been at shops using something more modern all hate it.

The tool chain is clunky too. They are still using grunt/bower for everything and once you have used webpack, going back to grunt/bower is painful.

So we are trying to drag them at least slightly forward into Typescript/Angular 1.5. Most annoying thing is they don't offer any reason why they stay on that tool chain aside from "reasons".

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Skandranon posted:

It really depends how your AngularJS apps are written. A lot of the components/services in mine could actually be used in Angular 2 verbatim, with only a few line changes to register them in Angular 2. So in this case, I am expecting what could be called a migration.

If you have an AngularJS 1.1 app with $scope, $watch, and $rootScope all over the place, yeah, you're basically doing a re-write, because your app is trash.
hey, it got the job done! One day I'll fix it, I promise

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Summit posted:

Nobody should really be saying "Angular 4" much like nobody says "React 15" (current version, since they also do semver). I'll admit Angular team has handled this situation very poorly but the piling on about version numbers is pretty silly.

The difference is that there is not a completely different thing named React 1 which people use and you need to distinguish it from.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
While refactoring some stuff today a Jest snapshot test caught a bug that I would've introduced, where in some cases a number would've been formatted incorrectly. Its the kind of little thing that could've easily gone undetected and just made the app look sloppy when eventually it got noticed. This is definitely the warmest/fuzziest I have ever felt about client side testing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kekekela posted:

While refactoring some stuff today a Jest snapshot test caught a bug that I would've introduced, where in some cases a number would've been formatted incorrectly. Its the kind of little thing that could've easily gone undetected and just made the app look sloppy when eventually it got noticed. This is definitely the warmest/fuzziest I have ever felt about client side testing.

Me a few months into a project in which I started testing up front: "Oh man, I'm so glad I've been writing tests, that saved my butt!"

Me a few months into a project in which no testing was done up front: "Fuuuuuucckkkkkkkk...... I wish I had time to write tests, but there's all these bugs to fix.... :suicide:"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So, my current task has been to put new features on a kinda huge React app, and it's stable and works, so it's all fine and dandy, but also to keep it up to date. Only this was made in an old React version, 0.12; I've been making small progresses to upgrade it to v15, but there's a lot of stuff here that was wrapped in their own prototypes, sometimes due to the needed packages not being commonJS compatible, other times for reasons(?).
So right now what I got is this not really yahoo's fluxible state control, and a old version to boot, dependent a lot on mixins, which were deprecated in react, and while I've been chipping away at the problem I'm starting to think if I shouldn't just set it ablaze and redo the whole project from scratch; scavenging the components that can work with either Flux or Redux.
My question is, try and keep upgrading the various components and tools -- I've already managed to make Reac-tIntl work without mixins, so that's one down, but who knows what's left, really-- or just go straight to redux or flux without legacy baggage?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Thanks for all the help from you dudes, this thread rules.

I just landed a junior front end position, so I get to pretend I'm a real dev now!

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I've got an issue with hover effects on the iPad. When the user touches the screen to scroll, it activates the hover state for the element that they've touched. Is there a way to change this behaviour? It looks ridiculous, and this is just one of MANY issues the iPad is giving us.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I've got an issue with hover effects on the iPad. When the user touches the screen to scroll, it activates the hover state for the element that they've touched. Is there a way to change this behaviour? It looks ridiculous, and this is just one of MANY issues the iPad is giving us.

Don't use hover effects?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Gildiss posted:

Don't use hover effects?

That's ridiculous. The hover effects are for desktop, Android handles them correctly without an issue.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

That's ridiculous. The hover effects are for desktop, Android handles them correctly without an issue.

I think the idea was "use media queries to only have hover effects on desktop"? Hover effects aren't a thing on touch based devices :confused:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Dogcow posted:

I think the idea was "use media queries to only have hover effects on desktop"? Hover effects aren't a thing on touch based devices :confused:

That's not what he said, had he said that it might have been helpful. And yes, I know hover effects aren't a thing on touch based devices which is why iOS shouldn't be registering them when you try to scroll. Thanks, I'll go with the media query approach, it's as close to a solution as I'll find I think :(

Edit: Actually even that isn't going to work, since there's no way to specifically target "desktop" it's just based off of resolution.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 6, 2017

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

That's not what he said, had he said that it might have been helpful. And yes, I know hover effects aren't a thing on touch based devices which is why iOS shouldn't be registering them when you try to scroll. Thanks, I'll go with the media query approach, it's as close to a solution as I'll find I think :(

Edit: Actually even that isn't going to work, since there's no way to specifically target "desktop" it's just based off of resolution.

Modernizr or something similar can tell you if you're on a tablet.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

HaB posted:

Modernizr or something similar can tell you if you're on a tablet.

Some variation of this. Just Googling your question will turn up a trove of problems and solutions at StackOverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4817029/whats-the-best-way-to-detect-a-touch-screen-device-using-javascript

The sane way of detecting if X is supported or conversely X is not supported, is to wrap an actual use of X in a try/catch and set a boolean depending on whether or not it gets caught. The devil lies in trying to detect every use case, so you need to determine where to draw the line, ie. "no I don't give a poo poo if Windows Phone doesn't register because our analytics says that's .001% of our user base and is not officially supported".

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
The issue comes from (I believe)..
iPhone came out, and supported the whole web (well sans-flash) and since a lot of UI depended on :hover, they treated :focus like :hover.
I believe Android did the same thing, but as websites started getting designed for touch, Android went the expected behavior of :focus being :focus.
Apple has yet to update iOS Webkit to the expected behavior and maybe never will for fear of 'breaking the Internet' like when IE finally went more in line with standards.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dealing with trying to make a React-Redux component that needed to validate and format inputs and outputs on a form has taught me to leverage tech that already exists instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Why are we rolling our own validation poo poo instead of just using Redux-Form, whyyyyyy :cry:

This is my poor coworker's first exposure to front-end and she totally hates it. I kinda have to agree with her, at least with what we've got to work with.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Dealing with trying to make a React-Redux component that needed to validate and format inputs and outputs on a form has taught me to leverage tech that already exists instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Why are we rolling our own validation poo poo instead of just using Redux-Form, whyyyyyy :cry:

This is my poor coworker's first exposure to front-end and she totally hates it. I kinda have to agree with her, at least with what we've got to work with.

We built a dynamic form builder with custom validation instead of just using Redux-Form, :shrug:

Though I will admit that the form builder is pretty sweet now that we're at the other side of it. We can now build an admin panel for the business units to create new forms instead of developing each one from scratch

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

aBagorn posted:

We built a dynamic form builder with custom validation instead of just using Redux-Form, :shrug:

Though I will admit that the form builder is pretty sweet now that we're at the other side of it. We can now build an admin panel for the business units to create new forms instead of developing each one from scratch

The difference is that you're competent. We are not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I dont like redux-form.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess I'm not experienced enough to know what the right call was, then. What should I have done, if I somehow ended up going back through time to the start?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 6, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Redux-form was probably what you should've used. I just don't like it...it feels half-assed, but I have a hard time putting my finger on what it is I don't like about it.

I even use it from time to time, but I don't enjoy it.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

What about Redux-Form feels "half assed" to you?

e: my mistake

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 6, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ROFLburger posted:

What about Redux-Form feels "half assed" to you?

Me saying that I have a hard time putting my finger on what it is I don't like about it is what feels half-assed, not that redux-form feels half-assed.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Ugh, we have a handful of apps, most use React Router 3, but one uses 2 and another uses 4. Keeping track of which API is which is a serious pain in the dick.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Thermopyle posted:

I dont like redux-form.

I seemed to remember when we evaluated it, there were some logic quirks that required even more boilerplate at a time when we were on a crusade to reduce boilerplate. I don't care for it either.

React Router is a dumpster fire of a project. Bumping major version to indicate breaking changes doesn't mean that you should completely change your API contracts every time. I don't really care for the documentation either.

Now that I think about it, I don't like anything in this ecosystem. Time to jump back to non-front-end development :frogsiren:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

aBagorn posted:

This is exactly what I'm working on at the moment. It's my first time with react and it feels like I'm basically jumping into the ocean with a massive riptide. Which is fun.

Any major pitfalls that you encountered worth sharing?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Thermopyle posted:

Redux-form was probably what you should've used. I just don't like it...it feels half-assed, but I have a hard time putting my finger on what it is I don't like about it.

I even use it from time to time, but I don't enjoy it.

Helicity posted:

I seemed to remember when we evaluated it, there were some logic quirks that required even more boilerplate at a time when we were on a crusade to reduce boilerplate. I don't care for it either.

React Router is a dumpster fire of a project. Bumping major version to indicate breaking changes doesn't mean that you should completely change your API contracts every time. I don't really care for the documentation either.

Now that I think about it, I don't like anything in this ecosystem. Time to jump back to non-front-end development :frogsiren:

For me the whole react ecosystem feels off because it shits on the whole idea of react as a lightweight view library, and transforms it into a heavyweight web application framework shackled to a cornucopia of poorly thought out libraries a.k.a. "the ecosystem".

The worst thing about react is, as usual, the people.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's a framework without the benefit of opinionated development that frameworks usually give you. Yes, you are free to use Redux with any other view rendering library (but barely anyone does). Feel free to install CRA and/or React-redux-router-immutable-thunk-reselect-forms as the official*, blessed* bindings for that stack, but get hosed if you want to swap out any one of them because you have this crazy idea that a web app's vendor file shouldn't be 5mb.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Helicity posted:

It's a framework without the benefit of opinionated development that frameworks usually give you. Yes, you are free to use Redux with any other view rendering library (but barely anyone does). Feel free to install CRA and/or React-redux-router-immutable-thunk-reselect-forms as the official*, blessed* bindings for that stack, but get hosed if you want to swap out any one of them because you have this crazy idea that a web app's vendor file shouldn't be 5mb.

React is *not* a framework, and that's both a blessing and a curse. It's blessing because it's easy to learn, and so on, but modern front-end dev on large SPAs all but requires a framework, and there's nothing but a hodge-podge of crap that you mention that resembles one that uses React as it's view library. I'm of two minds on if this is a good thing (there are benefits to being able to pick your pieces) or a very bad thing (all that stuff you mention =)

The concepts behind React + Redux are a great foundation for a framework to be built on. The problem is everyone is building their own and encountering the same pitfalls / reinventing the wheel. That said, I'm still a big fan of it, and think it is worth the hassles. Obviously not everyone needs to share that opinion.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What are thoughts on Polymer? With Google, Youtube, ING, Bloomberg, etc. using it, I'm intrigued.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So back to plain old JS or TS it is then? :)

I like ELM a lot, it is lightweight and the guy making it has a Vision of how it should work. I like that in software.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

So back to plain old JS or TS it is then? :)

I like ELM a lot, it is lightweight and the guy making it has a Vision of how it should work. I like that in software.

I *love* Elm as well. In fact, I finished my first toy project in it: https://www.eskimospy.com/chordbook (source is linked in the footer)

No idea what I'm doing in it yet, and it has the "not a framework" problems as React+Redux I think, as well as "Oh, I have to write JS anyway with a port since Elm doesn't do that" problems, but it's fun to write!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

COOL CORN posted:

What are thoughts on Polymer? With Google, Youtube, ING, Bloomberg, etc. using it, I'm intrigued.

The dogs balls. I really love it, waiting for 2.0 to get out of RC for that ECMAScripr 6 class goodness.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Lumpy posted:

I *love* Elm as well. In fact, I finished my first toy project in it: https://www.eskimospy.com/chordbook (source is linked in the footer)

No idea what I'm doing in it yet, and it has the "not a framework" problems as React+Redux I think, as well as "Oh, I have to write JS anyway with a port since Elm doesn't do that" problems, but it's fun to write!

The need for ports should become less and less as the community gets bigger and the core stabilizes. Otherwise I agree with you.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Lumpy posted:

React is *not* a framework, and that's both a blessing and a curse. It's blessing because it's easy to learn, and so on, but modern front-end dev on large SPAs all but requires a framework, and there's nothing but a hodge-podge of crap that you mention that resembles one that uses React as it's view library. I'm of two minds on if this is a good thing (there are benefits to being able to pick your pieces) or a very bad thing (all that stuff you mention =)

The concepts behind React + Redux are a great foundation for a framework to be built on. The problem is everyone is building their own and encountering the same pitfalls / reinventing the wheel. That said, I'm still a big fan of it, and think it is worth the hassles. Obviously not everyone needs to share that opinion.

I should have quoted "framework", as that's what I meant - you have to build your own framework as you go. I agree with everything quoted. Create-React-App is about as close as you get to a framework and it's kind of convoluted and very easy to do things the wrong way. Django and .NET MVC are both excellent frameworks that aren't difficult to get started with so it's not like it hasn't been done. Both those frameworks don't really get in your way if you want to replace something useful like the view engine. I don't think it's getting any easier for the React ecosystem, unfortunately. There seems to be some Stockholm Syndrome going on in that community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
One attempt I've seen but not played with is https://zeit.co/blog/next2