Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

U get the classic Raimi pov cam in that with the car but I really dig how it stays on the reaction past the immediate "im gettin hit by a car". It's held just long enough that their confusion plays/rubs off on you, it shows Peter's priority being the people & it also slows down the scene enough that Spiderman swinging by still comes off as fast after the car chase.

It also characterizes Spidey as a showoff, both because of the dramatic way he stops the car, and because there is no reason for him to come down where they can see him when the car has been stopped and the chase is still careening through the streets. He just wants to preen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

I don't know how they came up with the effect, but it looks real bad. Christ look how slow he is throwing War Machine. That's comical.

I think it does a good job getting across that he barely knows what his powers do.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

It also characterizes Spidey as a showoff, both because of the dramatic way he stops the car, and because there is no reason for him to come down where they can see him when the car has been stopped and the chase is still careening through the streets. He just wants to preen.

Raimi is so good

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Raimi Spider-Man is sooooooooo good.

Spider-Man 2 is the best comic book movie sequel outside of X2: X-Men United and the Dark Knight.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also there'd be a a bunch of brain issues due to expanding his neurons / moving them further apart, not to mention issues with absorbing oxygen through his enlarged lungs, etc etc etc.. None of it makes sense except via ~** movie magic**~

He did mention in the film that he'd only tried the Giant Man trick once before and he'd passed out so there's an excuse there for him to be moving so slow, although I think it would have worked better if he'd been staggering around like a drunk instead of moving in slow motion.

Ddon't get me wrong, it's not like "MY TACTICAL SCIENTIFIC REALISM :byodood:", it's just an amusing thought experiment. But yeah there's a jillion issues with enlarging that are fun to consider. I loved Asimov's novelization of the Fantastic Voyage script for this reason, he saw it as an opportunity to go "okay, setting aside the impossibility of shrinking, how reasonably scientifically accurate can I make this experience seem?" and it was really cool and interesting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think it does a good job getting across that he barely knows what his powers do.

It's kind of both, the idea does come across but rather clumsily. It's cinematic pidgin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The trick is that he doesn't grow at all; the rest of the world shrinks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah.

Oddly, Iron Man never gives us a full view of him holding the car:

http://i.imgur.com/WLNmNa6.gifv

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Man that Audi is sturdily built. I bet it can handle whatever you throw at it, but also provides the comfort and amenities of an upscale mid price sedan

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oddly, Iron Man never gives us a full view of him holding the car:

http://i.imgur.com/WLNmNa6.gifv

Wow. I clearly don't remember Iron Man all that well. No memory of that whatsoever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Re: the giant man talk. Going from the dialogue, I felt that he moved so slow because he wasn't used to it. He said he had only done it once before and it didn't go so well. Those slow deliberate movements could be partially fear and a sense of unbalance since he's not used to being so drat tall. I very well could be wrong, so ymmv.

Giant-Man is simply the biggest example of the fact that none of the action in that scene is good. You're left with a perplexity that people try to rationalize by saying 'well, I guess they might all be pulling their punches' - after War-Man unloads his entire payload, Panther-Man extends his razor-sharp Hugh Jackman claws to attack an unarmored normal dude, and Red Witch outright says 'don't pull your punches'.

It's a concept that's theoretically Looney Tunes fun because everybody's immortal, so they can let loose and bash eachother in the head with impunity. But the actual scene is just the same bullshit as in any other Marvel movie, with more lethargy and quips-per-second dialled up to compensate. It's not directed in a comedic way.

The joke of the scene 'should be' that the immortal characters are just goofing around while the two Hawk-Men are making GBS threads themselves in terror. Or maybe the Stark Industries assholes are struggling to remain 'nonlethal' while the underpowered rebellious characters show no restraint? What is the narrative here?

What you should really ask is what the film is doing with the concept of a petty criminal using radiation powers to blow up an airport, Godzilla-style, in defiance of the literal American War Machine.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 2, 2017

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The best example of the way something huge and strong should move is the Hulk. That's what makes the Hulk so viscerally terrifying - it's this large green thing that can look at you from a mile away and close that gap in a few seconds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On the point about Giant-Man not being all that giant it's funny that they explicitly reference the AT-AT walkers from Empire Strikes Back, which are slow and plodding, but the walkers were significantly taller and mechanical.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lobok posted:

On the point about Giant-Man not being all that giant it's funny that they explicitly reference the AT-AT walkers from Empire Strikes Back, which are slow and plodding, but the walkers were significantly taller and mechanical.
That ESB reference is awful too - Aside from the sheer laziness of that style of joke (haha, the young person is unfamiliar with the same stuff as the old people!), gently caress the thought that anyone, let alone a lonely nerd, would treat Star Wars like some obscure work.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Slugworth posted:

That ESB reference is awful too - Aside from the sheer laziness of that style of joke (haha, the young person is unfamiliar with the same stuff as the old people!), gently caress the thought that anyone, let alone a lonely nerd, would treat Star Wars like some obscure work.

Not only is the joke instantly dated thanks to Rogue One, it doesn't really make sense as a reference.

Spider-Man's role in the film is to be a naively postmodern, 'post-ideological' liberal (I.e. he believes that 'people who think they are right' are the greatest danger). So Spiderman's calling Ant-Man a Nazi, I guess? But reverse what he's saying: when Spiderman watched Star Wars, he apparently reached the conclusion that the space-Nazi Imperials were bad solely because they had conviction.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
It's kinda cool that MCU movies def don't suffer from Avatar Syndrome. Really reminds me of the Star Wars prequels.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how bad Doomsday looked in BvS.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The BvS is the best out of those

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

It's kinda cool that MCU movies def don't suffer from Avatar Syndrome. Really reminds me of the Star Wars prequels.

The Civil War directors ostensibly tried to do Empire Strikes Back, and ended up making a nonsatirical Attack Of The Clones.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I forgot how cool the webbing in the Raimi Spider-Man movies was. It looks way more like actual spider webbing than the later ones, which look more like wiring or vaguely natural rope. It adds a dimension to the "natural web shooting" vs "homemade web shooting" debate that doesn't exist as much in the comics.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DC Murderverse posted:

I forgot how cool the webbing in the Raimi Spider-Man movies was. It looks way more like actual spider webbing than the later ones, which look more like wiring or vaguely natural rope. It adds a dimension to the "natural web shooting" vs "homemade web shooting" debate that doesn't exist as much in the comics.

Well, in the ASM movies, it is homemade

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In the ASM movies it's an Oscorp product. The webshooters are homemade.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

net cafe scandal posted:

Am I crazy or does ASM2 look like the winner of that matchup. Maybe Im just sympathetic to Spider-Man since he saves cars rather than destroys them.

You're not. I like both Amazing movies better than the Raimi ones and that loving suit in AMS2 will never be topped.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

You're not. I like both Amazing movies better than the Raimi ones and that loving suit in AMS2 will never be topped.
The Homecoming costume is better if only for the eyes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Homecoming costume is better if only for the eyes.

If the eyes worked like the Deadpool eyes, sure

They don't, they're just lovely things that make no sense in universe or out of it.

If you're going to give him expressive mask eyes, just loving do it. Don't bitch out on it, Marvel.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Deadpool and ASM2 costumes best superhero costumes. Iron Man is up there but my favorite is Bleeding Edge and I want to see true Extremis nonesense on the screen. Tony's Armor interface pouring out of his marrow and bones and having a tech God link.

Kind of like Ex Machina by Vaughn but Ellis did his version

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Civil War directors ostensibly tried to do Empire Strikes Back, and ended up making a nonsatirical Attack Of The Clones.

You know what I mean when I compared it to the prequels. Like Star Wars, there is a very vocal group of nerds that say they don't like something but won't shut the gently caress up about it. Only time will tell if it will create the same level of obsession that Prequel hate has generated.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

UmOk posted:

You know what I mean when I compared it to the prequels. Like Star Wars, there is a very vocal group of nerds that say they don't like something but won't shut the gently caress up about it. Only time will tell if it will create the same level of obsession that Prequel hate has generated.

Huh? Where?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

If you're referring to here, I can only speak for myself, but I really don't hate them. I just struggle to understand how anyone even has a strong opinion of them.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I was speaking in general, not SA. But there are certainly posters here who are still talking about how much they hate the prequels.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

UmOk posted:

I was speaking in general, not SA. But there are certainly posters here who are still talking about how much they hate the prequels.
I see this argument a fair bit, and it's not untrue exactly, but it's misleading. I mean, it happens primarily in you know, the Star Wars thread. Where Star Wars is discussed. It often gets interpreted as the reviled 'nerds' just in a constant state of rage over the films for the past 15 years, when the case is generally, when brought up, people who disliked them 15 years ago are like 'Oh yeah, the prequels. Yeah, they sucked'

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Slugworth posted:

I see this argument a fair bit, and it's not untrue exactly, but it's misleading. I mean, it happens primarily in you know, the Star Wars thread. Where Star Wars is discussed. It often gets interpreted as the reviled 'nerds' just in a constant state of rage over the films for the past 15 years, when the case is generally, when brought up, people who disliked them 15 years ago are like 'Oh yeah, the prequels. Yeah, they sucked'

I don't think you read the Star Wars thread very often if 'Oh yeah, the prequels. Yeah, they sucked' is all you see.

CelticPredator posted:

It's the loving worst movie of all time hth.

I had to go pretty far back in the thread to find this gem. All the way to April 2 2017.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I, sadly, read the Star Wars thread for years. If anyone's obsessed with the prequels, it's the supporters, not the detractors. That thread is in fact ground zero for this 'nerds are still obsessed with the prequels' argument, as though there would be even 10% of the discussion of them without Cnut and SMG. Again I'm not disputing the idea that people who didn't like the movies still don't, or even that some of them have silly reasons for it, but 'obsession' is such a strange argument.

'In 25,000 pages of SMG and Cnut defending the prequels, other people occasionally criticise them. Angry, obsessed nerds, just smdh'

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
SMG was right. Let's publish the shirts

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I forgot how bad Doomsday looked in BvS.

having never heard of doomsday, I thought it was a lord of the rings orc until he started getting all pointy

⬇⬇⬇ e: i didnt know that, that's pretty neat!

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 3, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

having never heard of doomsday, I thought it was a lord of the rings orc until he started getting all pointy

His early face, like the face of a lord of the rings cave troll, is based on the early stages of a human being's face while in the womb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Attack of the clones is a bullshit weakass movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Attack of the clones is a bullshit weakass movie.

its good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disagree

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Please don't talk about Star Wars in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
🙌

• Locked thread