Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Honest question. It's totally fine to not like any kind of game that doesnt appeal to you, but what about first person shooters puts some of you off? Is the perspective? The shooting?

Honest answer. I can't really put my finger on it, but i've just never really had much fun with the genre. It might be the perspective to a certain degree, since it just reduces the game to point cursor at enemy and shoot. It's also a genre that doesn't often do anything very inventive, at least in regards to gameplay.
I know one thing that bothers me with them is that there is always way to many guys to shoot, but that's probably just a side-effect of not enjoying it all that much to begin with.
Idk, it's just not for me.

I liked Portal though.

E: Also have no interested in guns, which i think is a factor for some CoD fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The time is right for a Hexen reboot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

but I also feel like FPS games have become more... mean-spirited over the years? I don't know if that's the right way to put it, but something about shooting realistic people with realistic weapons has never sat well with me.

I could see that. If nothing else some games really get off on realistic violence which can be off putting.

Personally that's part of why I prefer sci fi/horror or even fantasy shooters to contemporary war shooters. Although I will play them both.

Personally I'm the most easily immersed in a first person perspective though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I also feel like FPS games have become more... mean-spirited over the years? I don't know if that's the right way to put it, but something about shooting realistic people with realistic weapons has never sat well with me.

The part in the new Wolfenstein game where you stab a Nazi in the head and say "die nazi scum" is genuinely a top 5 moment in gaming ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

No one is forcing you to do anything, if you say something like that maybe someone responds. The horror. Maybe don't be so sensitive to that if you are going to post on a message board.
you're the one being weird dude

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The part in the new Wolfenstein game where you stab a Nazi in the head and say "die nazi scum" is genuinely a top 5 moment in gaming ever.

agreed

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't think Titanfall 2's campaign was even best of holiday 2016 let alone best fps campaign ever. Loved the multiplayer though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Titanfall 2 is awesome and more goons should play it.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I don't think Titanfall 2's campaign was even best of holiday 2016 let alone best fps campaign ever. Loved the multiplayer though.

I dunno what you consider good, but as far as FPS campaigns it's one of the best in the last decade, easily.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

NieR: Automata gets good after 15 seconds.

This game rules.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I bought Everything and finished the "tutorial". It's really good if you want to chill out.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Akuma posted:

NieR: Automata gets good after 15 seconds.

This game rules.

I've just started route C now and I'm just amazed. Like, how do you get away with pulling this poo poo Taro?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like fps games a lot but I bounced off of the titanfall beta insanely hard. I enjoyed the mechanics enough that I think I'd dig the sp, but I really did not like the mp stuff in that at all. heard they fixed some stuff for the full release, but I disliked the beta so much that risking $60 on it would have been dumb

Attitude Indicator posted:

I've just started route C now and I'm just amazed. Like, how do you get away with pulling this poo poo Taro?

route c is def the strongest of the bunch, tho honestly idk what you mean by that

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

I love that Square Enix is a crazy enough company to keep bankrolling Yoko Taro. Even better than that is it seemed to finally pay off this time.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 2, 2017

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

route c is def the strongest of the bunch, tho honestly idk what you mean by that

nier stuff spoilered
hiding a second half of a game behind two previous "completions" is a ballsy move in a biz where most consumers don't even bother finishing a game once and where game length is a selling point. caught me by surprise at least.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

nier stuff spoilered
hiding a second half of a game behind two previous "completions" is a ballsy move in a biz where most consumers don't even bother finishing a game once and where game length is a selling point. caught me by surprise at least.

More like hiding the real opening to the game behind two play throughs, with most of the players literally only experiencing part of the prologue.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

More like hiding the real opening to the game behind two play throughs, with most of the players literally only experiencing part of the prologue.

It's punk rock and I love it.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I really loved the third video game from Fumito Ueda. I only really had trouble with one puzzle in the beginning where Trico's ai went into a weird loop. And another time near the end where the kid launched off of Trico at one particular tower. (Frame drops have never really bothered me but I'm not going to deny it happened either)

After that the only time I had trouble with a puzzle was when my brain was stupid like with that water puzzle. The game did everything I wanted and I felt like it was fifty dollars well spent for 15 hours of spending time with my beautifully animated feathery friend. Someone said you spend a majority of the game riding Trico but I spent most of it riding and petting Trico. It's totally fine to hate the games and the praise they get but accusing the people who like it of sunken cost fallacy is silly.

I'm 20 hours into Horizon: Zero Dawn and so far I have climbed two total "lovely Far Cry Towers" which is three less than what I've encountered in Zelda in the same amount of time. Why does having these things in an open world game make it bad? I personally enjoyed the platforming involved in getting up towers in far cry 4. Unlike far cry, it's not necessary to climb the "tallneck" to unlock missions in Horizon, I don't really know what it does beside spit out machine locations. In Zelda it seems to be tied to unlocking shrines?

I've completed three cauldrons and hunted numerous machines but I often find myself just roaming around the map rather than progressing the story. I've seen a bit of the Faro stuff and right now I suspect Aloy is a clone of Elizabet(h) that was sent out by the hyper science humans living in "Mother's womb" which hopefully we'll get to meet in the third act of the game and that's when I get my awesome above purple gear but this is just me assuming things. The story is just compelling enough for me to want to beat it, also the hope of better gear drives me forward. Soon that Stormbird what taunts me so can finally fall. I also love how heavy weapons in this game are powerful but also finite and how you obtain them is pretty great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's why they put in a big popup explicitly telling you the game is different if you replay it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I played a lot more FPS in 90s when they had more fanciful settings and every new title wasn't a modern or near-future milsim. OG Doom, Hexen, Perfect Dark, Quake, etc. I played DOOM and Overwatch last year and liked them both, probably because their settings were a lot more imaginative than what I'd grown accustomed to in calladoodies. There's another aspect that's harder to pin down, but I also feel like FPS games have become more... mean-spirited over the years? I don't know if that's the right way to put it, but something about shooting realistic people with realistic weapons has never sat well with me.

Yeah, I have put a lot of hours into Overwatch and I attribute at least a bit of that to the fact that the setting is a lot more appealing. I don't think I could spend dozens of hours in Actual War Shooting at Realistic Human Beings in a looping meatgrinder.

It's weird, I feel like I have become... more sensitized to violence as the years pass? I am excited for Injustice 2 but had to skip Mortal Kombat X because where they took things gore-wise was too much for me. Doom was pretty violent too but it was just outlandish enough, also I wouldn't play multi in that either

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

... half the character models in Titanfall 2 are robots.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

... half the character models in Titanfall 2 are robots.
What are you some kind of robotist?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TF2 has really lighthearted violence which I like. Even the voiceover seems to be aware that it's just a game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There was one specific animation in Overwatch that gave me pause, though. I was playing as Mei and a Reinhardt charged me like halfway across the map and off a cliff. Hearing her scream and seeing her flail her arms the whole time was a bit :stare:

(Of course I guess I had no problem with freezing people and braining them with icicles so)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fuzz posted:

I dunno what you consider good, but as far as FPS campaigns it's one of the best in the last decade, easily.

That's a low bar but I agree. I thought it was pretty thin though, like each boss is introduced 15 seconds before you kill them. I liked BF1's better, though it trailed off in the last few missions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Overwatch is garbage. PM me if you need more info.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mafia 3 was at my limit when it comes to video game violence. It's really amazing there was no controversy over this when people used to freak out about "hot coffee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwkfIDqB9Yo

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mafia 3 was at my limit when it comes to video game violence. It's really amazing there was no controversy over this when people used to freak out about "hot coffee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwkfIDqB9Yo

The thing that did get controversy was the idea of a black mafiaman lol. The steam forums basically erupted.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess Mafia III was really violent, huh? I didn't really have a reaction to it at the time.

I guess I didn't feel bad about graphically disemboweling Nazis in Wolfenstein: The New Order, either

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Violence is fine, sexytimes are bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only game that has truly disgusted me was God of War 3. The way it gets off on brutal violence against innocents really annoyed me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I have put a lot of hours into Overwatch and I attribute at least a bit of that to the fact that the setting is a lot more appealing. I don't think I could spend dozens of hours in Actual War Shooting at Realistic Human Beings in a looping meatgrinder.

It's weird, I feel like I have become... more sensitized to violence as the years pass? I am excited for Injustice 2 but had to skip Mortal Kombat X because where they took things gore-wise was too much for me. Doom was pretty violent too but it was just outlandish enough, also I wouldn't play multi in that either

Mortal Kombat X just crosses a line for me where the violence is so ridiculously gross and over the top that it loops back around to just being goofy. I enjoyed MKX but if it were more realistic then I probably wouldn't as much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Games aren't real everyone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's really how violence is handled more than anything. GOW is like some poo poo an edgy teenager who is about to shoot up a school would make.

TLOU is super violent but I think it serves the narrative. Mortal Kombat is so goofy idgaf. God of War though :barf:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

While I don't mind extreme violence on videogames I agree that GoW3 has something that I don't really like. Like punching a face until it slowly melts.

I grew up with OG Doom, Rise of the Triad and Duke3D and got Soldier of Fortune when it came out. Loved MK IX because it was a 90's throwback but GoW3 tried to be too serious. In comparison, Doom 2016 has a goofy aproach to violence when murdering demons that think you're the monster.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I've yet to encounter a game where the violence has turned me off of it. The sniper elite series would contend if it wasn't for the fact that you're popping nazi balls. If the enemies were pretty much anyone else I don't know if I'd play those games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The part that always stuck out to me was when you "save" some naked woman and she's like "thank you kratos you are my hero" and then you drag her by her hair into a blender to open a door. Like, gently caress whoever designed that.

The whole game is like that though. There are so many moments where your supposed to get all giddy when Kratos gores the hell out of someone for no reason. Just this Nu metal looking idiot running around murdering people and I'm supposed to think it's cool. gently caress that horrible game it's like Monster energy drink mixed with ISIS.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe they were aiming for something like Mortal Kombat but completely blew it because it never felt over-the-top in that way, just standing on the top.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
GoW is a fun cool game if you're a big boy who can handle it

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That Mafia 3 video kinda reminds me of the Manhunt games on PS2.

Kind of ironically, the subdued and grainy violence and lack of gore in Manhunt 1 was far more disturbing than the ridiculous, over the top bloodbath executions in the awful sequel. Violence where there isn't as much blood as you'd think there would be feels more brutal than something like Mortal Kombat or even Wolfenstein New Order where it's over the top like a Tarantino flick.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wandle Cax posted:

GoW is a fun cool game if you're a big boy who can handle it
When I think of the violence in GoW I think of something a thirteen year old would come up with. Not that that's unusual in the history and present of video games but still, let's not pretend that it's an adult thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Games aren't real everyone.

Games are real and strong and they are my friend