Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Xaris posted:

So I've been living under a rock in east Tennessee for work the past couple weeks. I just got back home to a shiny new PS4 (never had one before) and now a lot of free time.

Now I'd probably prefer to play NieR Automata on my PC since I'd be using a DS4 controller anyways to play it, but is there any problems with the PC port at all that I should go with a PS4 version instead? (I have a 970 so it should probably run pretty well i'd imagine). I've heard some murmirings that it has some minor problems on the PC but seems to work well in general. Just wanted to check

it's not the most optimized game in the world but on my 970 i was able to keep 60 fps most of the time with all settings turned up except antialiasing which had to be off completely. to maintain a pretty constant 60 fps you'd have to turn off ambient occlusion (which also seemingly includes some type of post-aa) but as long as you don't mind some drops to the 50s when running around the open world it can be kept on. it'll still run better than the base ps4 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What was the 4 hour speedrun people were talking about earlier in the thread? Gone back about a hundred pages, but can't find it.
http://www.speedrun.com/NieR_Automata has most of the current ones in various categories (spoilers obviously), not sure which one you're referring to.

cubicle gangster posted:

...I did not know you could lock on in the hacking minigame.
Auto chips don't work.
Edit: you can't lock on in hacking? Unless it's a different button?
I actually never hacked on easy so you made me go and test it myself: not only do the auto chips work like a charm but it basically does everything in the hacking game for you besides actually moving. It's hilarious to watch.
Not sure what you did to your controls or chip setup.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 2, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The hacking minigame is what made me so happy that I loving loved Geometry Wars. It owned.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I learned Auto chips worked on hacking after getting through all of the Soul Box on Normal, including that one rear end in a top hat chest that took about 20 tries, and then getting to the boss. And raising an infected android. Without having saved. :shepicide:

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

McDragon posted:

I did C before D mainly because I wanted A2 to snap 9S over her knee.

My favorite thing about those two endings is that A2 beat 9S sound and clean while on the flipside, 9S only wins because 2B's promise made A2 hesitate and even then 9S just bumblefucks his way into getting brutally impaled by A2's sword.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I just waltzed through the hacking sections of the game easy-peasy wondering "Huh I wonder when they'll get to the hard stuff?" so I'm kinda shocked hearing people get blocked by it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

there were some parts later in the game that definitely took me a few tries but it was never anything i was banging my head against, and i don't even play a lot of twin stick shooters. just keep at it if you're having trouble, you'll get it eventually!

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
So I'm still not really sure, especially because I just noticed it this last time, but after chasing the bot into the desert (right before fighting Adam)... are the machines emulating sex?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

they sure are

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Martout posted:

am I a dumbo or is the game meant to not show my mouse cursor even in menus?

Man, I can't get my game to not show the cursor.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm gonna start the game up again, haven't played since I got ending E my first go around. This is my 100 percent run, I'd like to get all the weapons and whatnot. I'll also be playing on Hard mode just for kicks.

I know that (some big big spoilers ahead):

I gotta erase Pascal's memories to get access to new weapons that way, and I know Emil's shop has unique weapons...the only other weapons vendors I found before were the Resistance and the Machine Village normal. Are there any other potentially missable weapon sources?

To get the super secret chocolate-stuffed content, do I have to collect all the weapons or collect and fully upgrade them all as well?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I'm gonna start the game up again, haven't played since I got ending E my first go around. This is my 100 percent run, I'd like to get all the weapons and whatnot. I'll also be playing on Hard mode just for kicks.

I know that (some big big spoilers ahead):

I gotta erase Pascal's memories to get access to new weapons that way, and I know Emil's shop has unique weapons...the only other weapons vendors I found before were the Resistance and the Machine Village normal. Are there any other potentially missable weapon sources?

To get the super secret chocolate-stuffed content, do I have to collect all the weapons or collect and fully upgrade them all as well?

There is a side-quest that requires you to fully upgrade every weapon, which you should do anyway for the weapon stories.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you're going for 100%, the super-final post-game boss is locked behind getting all weapons fully upgraded.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Badingading posted:

If you're going for 100%, the super-final post-game boss is locked behind getting all weapons fully upgraded.

Alright then, good to know. I basically used just the default weapons most of my run through last time, so I'm hoping Hard mode encourages me to change it up a bit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally got around to beating this yesterday after having to put it on hold for work for a week.

Video games are art.

Found out Ending E erases your save so I'm putting that off until I can finish up all the other stuff I want to do, but yeah, good game. Couple rough spots though, and the story and cast of the original Nier are still closer to my heart.

I'll have a few more things to say once I'm 100% done but thanks for the ride Taro Yoko.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Moatman posted:

So I'm still not really sure, especially because I just noticed it this last time, but after chasing the bot into the desert (right before fighting Adam)... are the machines emulating sex?

Child

Child

My love my love

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bad Seafood posted:

Found out Ending E erases your save so I'm putting that off until I can finish up all the other stuff I want to do, but yeah, good game. Couple rough spots though, and the story and cast of the original Nier are still closer to my heart.

It doesn't. It asks you, and you are allowed to decline. It's fine, you can do it now right away.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mindblast posted:

It doesn't. It asks you, and you are allowed to decline. It's fine, you can do it now right away.

However, doing The Spoiler is something the game clearly wants you to do to preserve the spirit of it all, and it's also honestly kind of a good place to put the game down for a long time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SpaceDrake posted:

However, doing The Spoiler is something the game clearly wants you to do to preserve the spirit of it all, and it's also honestly kind of a good place to put the game down for a long time.
I never even got to that point. The game said "do you want to leave a message", and I said no and that was it.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Motherfucker a video game made me cry. Totally for real end of game spoilers:

I lost my poo poo when those loving pep talks showed up on my screen. Then again when the gang of shooters showed up. I was all nice and happy at the cutscene, decided I was okay with things if this was the big DELETE YOUR poo poo spot, went to put my message in.

Saw there were a whole bunch of mean comments that could have been left but weren't, then lost it all over again.

I have so many more substantial thoughts, but I need to go.. I dunno, hug something.

Thanks guys. It was worth it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I'm trying to get more Unit Data to finish that side quest that needs Unit Data and I'm going through my list and discovered that 9S is missing from my Android list. How do I get this?

Edit: Same question for Masamune. Killing him doesn't give the unit data. :(

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 2, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

endolithic posted:

I lost my poo poo when those loving pep talks showed up on my screen. Then again when the gang of shooters showed up. I was all nice and happy at the cutscene, decided I was okay with things if this was the big DELETE YOUR poo poo spot, went to put my message in.

Saw there were a whole bunch of mean comments that could have been left but weren't, then lost it all over again.

I have so many more substantial thoughts, but I need to go.. I dunno, hug something.

Yeah when I got to that point I was legitimately surprised that I hadn't seen a single negative one when I was trying to bang my head against it without "cheating". Of course, the jaded section of me wonders if it's not because the game just doesn't show negative ones when they're selected, or (comedy option) only shows negative ones to you in response to you putting a negative one in.

Someone deleting their save data and having their brand spanking new title screen covered in "you suck"/"just give up" messages because that's the negativity they chose to leave for someone else would be the best thing in the world.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think the fact that it deletes your save weeds out 99% of people who would leave a mean message.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah when I got to that point I was legitimately surprised that I hadn't seen a single negative one when I was trying to bang my head against it without "cheating". Of course, the jaded section of me wonders if it's not because the game just doesn't show negative ones when they're selected, or (comedy option) only shows negative ones to you in response to you putting a negative one in.

Someone deleting their save data and having their brand spanking new title screen covered in "you suck"/"just give up" messages because that's the negativity they chose to leave for someone else would be the best thing in the world.

Well there's only the available presets offered to players like the death messages. Regardless, I'm sure someone will figure out a way to leave vaguely rude messages to the next player.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Alder posted:

Well there's only the available presets offered to players like the death messages. Regardless, I'm sure someone will figure out a way to leave vaguely rude messages to the next player.

If you scroll down far enough when selecting the messages they definitely got explicitly and unapologetically mean in a "stop playing/you suck/you will never be able to get through this so just give up" kind of way.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I think the fact that it deletes your save weeds out 99% of people who would leave a mean message.
Yeah well, being able to back up your save makes that not much of a filter.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Yeah well, being able to back up your save makes that not much of a filter.

Where did you find the save data, I don't know how steam saves poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PC Patch when :( I'd love to be able to play for more than 45 minutes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well I just did C/D/E in one sitting. It's funny, intellectually I thought C and D were interesting but I had already felt emotionally drained just getting to that point that I was like, "OK, I guess that's how things had to end."

Then loving E, man. That really got me in a way I wasn't expecting.
Oh man, this was a real trip

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ending E talk

I'm filling this dumb world with nice messages. I can clear without losing other peoples saves now while junking my own and playing again.

That being said my last run I did get one of the "mean" messages. It was basically "I know it's hard, but still, put your back into it you #@)*$!"

Reads more like Kaine yelling it though now that I'm looking at it again :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending E talk

I'm filling this dumb world with nice messages. I can clear without losing other peoples saves now while junking my own and playing again.

That being said my last run I did get one of the "mean" messages. It was basically "I know it's hard, but still, put your back into it you #@)*$!"

yeah there's a difference between "tough love" and "just give up", I feel like I have to do it again just to see the option of those bad messages though since I only skimmed them the first time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

yeah there's a difference between "tough love" and "just give up", I feel like I have to do it again just to see the option of those bad messages though since I only skimmed them the first time

They're pretty harsh. Saying you suck and should give up, that you're a loser for investing so much time in a video game, that tomorrow's Monday and you should really be in bed, the list goes on.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Where did you find the save data, I don't know how steam saves poo poo.
On Win7, C:\Users\<User>\Documents\my games\NieR_Automata
It's not that Steam sets up where things are saved, it's a per-game thing.

Oxxidation posted:

They're pretty harsh. Saying you suck and should give up, that you're a loser for investing so much time in a video game, that tomorrow's Monday and you should really be in bed, the list goes on.
There are also straight up hate messages for Platinum and Nier, which are rather hilarious.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Playing on hard is so much fun!

I love actually having to explore the properties of my attacks and how they fit different situations

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't say Hard is the only way to play, because it's simply not, but it does encourage a lot more of a reasoned playstyle. It's a flawed but interesting difficulty.

Unless you go full coward pod only AI partner MVP, which at that point, might as well go Easy Auto 'cos you're not really playing a game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, beat ending B at around 1am, so like 2 and a half hours ago. Started route C.

Holy poo poo.

I need to sleep right now but I hope to god I have enough hours in the weekend to beat this thing before getting back to work, cause I may end up skipping work to finish this and that's generally not a good idea.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

endolithic posted:

Honestly, almost nothing in the game got to me. I think the first Nier did a far greater job in connecting with me. But that part was one of the greatest things I've seen in a videogame. It had all the heart I felt was lacking from the rest of the experience.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending E talk

That one is definitely said in a "tough love" kind of voice.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 2, 2017

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Welp, just learned that hacking a certain quest-specific enemy before they spot you breaks the quest - taking on the guardian of the Forest King's treasure again because my game crashed after the first time hopefully it'll be all right next time since I quit without saving.

mawlok
Apr 2, 2017

Trying to finish this before Persona 5 releases is gonna be the death of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ain't like Persona 5 is going anywhere and there's a 0% chance that game is better than NieR so I'd just say enjoy the Automata ride.