Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm pretty sure it's ridiculous hyperbole and bad faith arguments, same as always.

Exactly, so like arguements about amiibo emulation of toys you literally cannot reasonably find in stores being equated to theft in the Nintendo Switch thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Edit: In case it's not clear, everything an Amiibo does happens on the game end. BOTW is just looking at a serial number that says what kind of figure it is and matching it against a list.

what if this functionality was activated using a game card or an eshop download

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Oh no, think about Amiibo futures

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Spacebump posted:

Maybe get mad at GameStop for selling them first.

The device itself isn't for spoofing amiibo. It's for downloading profiles and saving them to your current amiibo to get better at smash brothers or whatever.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spellman posted:

If it was eshop download implemented the way amiibos are now, it would be even closer to paying a fee for functionality that is already present on the "disc" so to speak, only now it doesn't even have the veneer of a collectible attached to it.

I thought we hated Capcom for this kind of bullshit.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cojawfee posted:

The device itself isn't for spoofing amiibo. It's for downloading profiles and saving them to your current amiibo to get better at smash brothers or whatever.

And the local headshop has water pipes for tobacco only.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Steal what you want, keep it to yourself, play video games, and smoke weed.

Happy April Fool's Day everyone.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Spellman posted:

Then people would deride the notion of paying for a bunch of lovely weapons in Zelda. It'd be inserting f2p-style microtransaction bullshit into Zelda and people would hate it. The fact that you do get a lovely plastic toy for your kid to play with is the only thing that makes it acceptable. Kids love cheap plastic poo poo, as baffling as that is to many adults.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Do all the people going in about buying a VC game the third time know that the Wii U shop charged all of $1 to upgrade a game from the Wii library? It's still Nintendo but it's not full price the next go around.

I was remembering the time my surface 3 was trying to tether to the Internet and use a Bluetooth mouse, it was not doable. The mouse was skipping like crazy anytime the Internet was loading a page. I wonder if that's why there's no Bluetooth audio option on the switch.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LethalGeek posted:

Do all the people going in about buying a VC game the third time know that the Wii U shop charged all of $1 to upgrade a game from the Wii library? It's still Nintendo but it's not full price the next go around.

Tell me about this wii u to 3ds to switch service that doesn't exist

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Tell me about this wii u to 3ds to switch service that doesn't exist

It's just as real as VC on the Switch at this point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Switch has NeoGeo games which is kind of like VC.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

lol if you're buying amiibos for paltry bonus content and not just to own a cool toy

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
You wouldn't download an Amiibo

Spellman
May 31, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

If it was eshop download implemented the way amiibos are now, it would be even closer to paying a fee for functionality that is already present on the "disc" so to speak, only now it doesn't even have the veneer of a collectible attached to it.

I thought we hated Capcom for this kind of bullshit.

what if they didn't include it on the disc

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Gotta say Mr. Whatley is quite the effective troll because look at all the people who bit on the bait :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Spellman posted:

what if they didn't include it on the disc

The costumes aren't stored on the amiibo, so that's a moot point.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xktaChmCXrA

Hero Collection :(

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The costumes aren't stored on the amiibo, so that's a moot point.

but what if

What if this were a different game, with an equal quality, amiibo functionality except the content was downloaded off the internet or some poo poo instead of being on the disc

It's an analogy

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Do I wait until the new Switches roll out and fix the minor launch day issues or do I pull the trigger now? Not in a rush or anything, just want to play Zelda.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Switch is bad

April Fools it's actually good

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

Spellman posted:

but what if

What if this were a different game, with an equal quality, amiibo functionality except the content was downloaded off the internet or some poo poo instead of being on the disc

It's an analogy

Mate do you think an online DLC can compare to the royal majesty of a King Dedede amibo? Get the gently caress out of here. No plastic, no deal.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Mate do you think an online DLC can compare to the royal majesty of a King Dedede amibo? Get the gently caress out of here. No plastic, no deal.

I don't think you can call yourself a Nintendo fan if you don't have a fat boy amiibo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish there was a way to mass transfer my Miis from Wii U to Switch. It was so easy to go from Wii to Wii U but doing it one Mii at a time is too tedious.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I wish there was a way to mass transfer my Miis from Wii U to Switch. It was so easy to go from Wii to Wii U but doing it one Mii at a time is too tedious.

There is!!!! if you have at least one amiibo, unfortunately

For real, you can transfer Miis through an Amiibo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spellman posted:

There is!!!! if you have at least one amiibo, unfortunately

For real, you can transfer Miis through an Amiibo.

You can only do one at a time that way. My Switch also won't recognize some of my Miis for some reason.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Also power saves works on amiibo you already own too, so there is nothing really wrong with doing that, since you already gave nintendo the money.

You could also technically put the data onto an NFC card, which is cool since the switch is a portable system and you don't have to lug around amiibos if you go on vacation or something.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

internet inc posted:

Do I wait until the new Switches roll out and fix the minor launch day issues or do I pull the trigger now? Not in a rush or anything, just want to play Zelda.

it's a neat little thing but unless you're really itching to play zelda it can wait, there's really not much else to play on it right now

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

it's a neat little thing but unless you're really itching to play zelda it can wait, there's really not much else to play on it right now

I know this is a complete shot in the dark but does anyone know when they'll be making Switch 1.01? Like, with 0% chance to get a wonky joy-con and other Day1 issues the system has had? I mean, I couldn't get a switch if I wanted to (still sold out everywhere for me) but if the wait isn't super long I'd prefer to get one that works great out of the box.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Years ago, I would've killed for a portable Metal Slug 3. That dream's now a reality, and that game still loving rules. I think it's a little understated how great it is we are getting neo geo titles right out the gate on a portable system. Lame as poo poo that kof98 doesn't have online play though, that's a total miss but I guess these emulated titles don't have the budget.

Also, neo turf masters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BambooEarpick posted:

I know this is a complete shot in the dark but does anyone know when they'll be making Switch 1.01? Like, with 0% chance to get a wonky joy-con and other Day1 issues the system has had? I mean, I couldn't get a switch if I wanted to (still sold out everywhere for me) but if the wait isn't super long I'd prefer to get one that works great out of the box.

The joycon issue was solved at the factory. All the switches that could have had the issue have been sold. Even if you do get one, Nintendo will replace your joycon for free.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah they claim that the joycon issue has already been addressed at the source. i'm not sure about other issues like dead pixels, but i would expect those to be within acceptable levels for electronics. i don't know anyone personally who has had that happen yet. you're never going to get a 0% chance of encountering problems but i wouldn't worry about it too much.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

The joycon issue was solved at the factory. All the switches that could have had the issue have been sold. Even if you do get one, Nintendo will replace your joycon for free.

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah they claim that the joycon issue has already been addressed at the source. i'm not sure about other issues like dead pixels, but i would expect those to be within acceptable levels for electronics. i don't know anyone personally who has had that happen yet. you're never going to get a 0% chance of encountering problems but i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Cool. That's good to know. Yeah, the dead pixel thing is unfortunate but it seems like it's just a thing that happens. Did Nintendo ever come out with a statement saying how many pixels would be enough to get a change of Switch? I think industry standard is usually around 5 or so, right?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Jimbozig posted:

Then people would deride the notion of paying for a bunch of lovely weapons in Zelda. It'd be inserting f2p-style microtransaction bullshit into Zelda and people would hate it. The fact that you do get a lovely plastic toy for your kid to play with is the only thing that makes it acceptable. Kids love cheap plastic poo poo, as baffling as that is to many adults.

I'd never purchased an Amiibo before I got BOTW. After finding out about the Amiibo functionality, I went out and bought Resetti.

Beat you at your own game, Nintendo! Anarchy, bitch!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress amiibo. If you're going to put a bunch of poo poo locked behind these awful toys then at least make it purchasable for people who don't want them. I'd pay for all of the extra armors and weapons in BOTW if that were an option but instead I had to spoof all of it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

s.i.r.e. posted:

gently caress amiibo. If you're going to put a bunch of poo poo locked behind these awful toys then at least make it purchasable for people who don't want them. I'd pay for all of the extra armors and weapons in BOTW if that were an option but instead I had to spoof all of it.

No one made you steal, you decided to do that on your own. There is an option and you chose not to exercise that. You are not robin hood, you are the snake.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Colorspray posted:

Years ago, I would've killed for a portable Metal Slug 3. That dream's now a reality, and that game still loving rules. I think it's a little understated how great it is we are getting neo geo titles right out the gate on a portable system. Lame as poo poo that kof98 doesn't have online play though, that's a total miss but I guess these emulated titles don't have the budget.

Also, neo turf masters.

Years ago, I got all of Metal Slug on my Vita when I wanted Metal Slug on the go. They run pretty smoothly as well!

They might eventually put the rest of the games on Switch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

gently caress amiibo.

Do not have sexual intercourse with toys

Unless they are sex toys

But they aren't

So don't do that

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Infinitum posted:

Do not have sexual intercourse with toys

Unless they are sex toys

But they aren't

So don't do that

They're not good for anything then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

No one made you steal, you decided to do that on your own. There is an option and you chose not to exercise that. You are not robin hood, you are the snake.

If Nintendo's going to leave a fuckton of money on the table by underproducing $15 trinkets and leaving them unobtainable except through scalpers and ridiculous markups I don't know why it matters tbh

they may not be robin hood but while you can make the argument of "not buying music on itunes affects the livelihood of the artists", the only people being bitten by this are scalpers and i'm not gonna lose any sleep over that

• Locked thread