Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not 100% sure but wouldn't be that surprising, 360 wireless controllers are that way, and old Xbox One controllers may be that way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Go on google maps for a retro game surprise.

haha nice, I was zoomed in on some intersection with only 2 roads and could cheese it indefinitely using the same pattern, got bored after level 20

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

univbee posted:

Not 100% sure but wouldn't be that surprising, 360 wireless controllers are that way, and old Xbox One controllers may be that way too.

Again: what.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any board recommended cleaning agents for plastics? Specifically N64 and Gamecube. Friend's dad was liqidating their pawn shop so I got them both (and Donkey Kong bongos... how to clean those?).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I mean three days ago emulationstation told me to press a button to configure a controller while I had a pro controller connected with a wire and when I pressed a button it said "Wii U Pro Controller." Then before I connected it via bluetooth, I looked at the bluetooth device screen and there were no bluetooth devices connected. :iiam:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Star Man posted:

What are you confused about?

All Xbox One controllers do support the controller data over a simple microUSB cable though, unlike the old Xbox 360 controllers which only supplied power and a simple syncing signal over the cable you would get with the rechargeable battery pack kit.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The only piece of Xbox hardware I own is a 360 controller for my PC.

It's more that I'm confused by the idea of having a cable that connects to the console but it only provides power.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

Well in the Wii U's case of the multiple types of controllers it offers:

Wii Remote can't be wired
Classic Controller and any controller using that port can only be plugged into the Wii Remote, and therefore by extension can't be wired.
Wii U Gamepad can't be wired
Pokkén Tournament controller is USB wired-only but officially only works with Pokkén
Gamecube controllers are wired-only using the USB adapter, but only work with Smash Bros. for Wii U.

And since the Wii U Pro Controller is more or less a Gamepad without the screen (and slightly varied button layout) they probably designed it similarly, and the USB port only handles charging.

With Xbox 360, there were wired-only USB controllers (cord can't be removed from the controller side), and although the wireless controllers with a battery pack could use a weird dock cable to plug into USB and charge, said cable does no data transmission whatsoever so the actually controller-to-console communication happens entirely wirelessly, so if the hardware responsible for that communication is damaged or whatever it still won't work, and it won't be visible when plugged into a PC at all (it'll charge with the right battery pack but that's it).

With Xbox One, they made the controllers have built-in firmware that could be upgraded, and at least in the early days it was possible to have sporadic desync issues even if you were USB-wired in. Not 100% sure if they eventually properly fixed it, or if the issue was really one with earlier controller revisions (there have been at least 3 revisions of controller and a 4th is on its way) that wasn't doing its communication through the wire like it should have been.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Star Man posted:

The only piece of Xbox hardware I own is a 360 controller for my PC.

It's more that I'm confused by the idea of having a cable that connects to the console but it only provides power.

What's confusing about it? Every 360 console (and every Wii U console) already has the wireless controller support built in, so every user with a functioning console already can use it wireless. So there's no point to going to the extra effort to have the controller switch between sending over wireless and sending over a wire. And with the 360 controllers, they by default ship with a holder for two regular AA batteries and no cable to the console anyway, you only got the cable if you bought the separate pack with a rechargeable battery to attach in place of the AA holder.

The Xbox One changes this to support a USB connection for the data, because this time around Microsoft explicitly planned for the Xbox One controller to also be a standard PC controller that you'd switch between console and PC, without needing to buy a special wireless adapter - and because there isn't really an official wired controller to buy instead. While they also did the "use on both things" plan for the 360, it was kind of after the fact, and they expected more people would use the optional wired only controllers for it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Any board recommended cleaning agents for plastics? Specifically N64 and Gamecube. Friend's dad was liqidating their pawn shop so I got them both (and Donkey Kong bongos... how to clean those?).

The retro gaming community found it can be fixed with a UV light and hydrogen peroxide. They call it retr0bright http://www.retr0bright.com/.

This guy figured out it was a hair cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7vXMezW_I

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Dehry posted:

The retro gaming community found it can be fixed with a UV light and hydrogen peroxide. They call it retr0bright http://www.retr0bright.com/.

This guy figured out it was a hair cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7vXMezW_I

Yes but neither N64, or Gamecube are made out of that plastic that yellows over time.

Vintersorg posted:

I generally use clorox disinfecting wipes, and then dry them off with paper towels to prevent residue. For deep in the grooves (Like a 2600 or a genesis) I've used armoral multipurpose cleaner with a q-tip. Really any cleaner that doesn't eat plastic is fine. (read the labels).

For controllers, run a toothpick in the seam lines where the different plastic pieces join, and be amazed and disgusted at the years of poo poo that comes out of there.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

univbee posted:

Well in the Wii U's case of the multiple types of controllers it offers:

Wii Remote can't be wired
Classic Controller and any controller using that port can only be plugged into the Wii Remote, and therefore by extension can't be wired.
Wii U Gamepad can't be wired
Pokkén Tournament controller is USB wired-only but officially only works with Pokkén
Gamecube controllers are wired-only using the USB adapter, but only work with Smash Bros. for Wii U.

And since the Wii U Pro Controller is more or less a Gamepad without the screen (and slightly varied button layout) they probably designed it similarly, and the USB port only handles charging.

With Xbox 360, there were wired-only USB controllers (cord can't be removed from the controller side), and although the wireless controllers with a battery pack could use a weird dock cable to plug into USB and charge, said cable does no data transmission whatsoever so the actually controller-to-console communication happens entirely wirelessly, so if the hardware responsible for that communication is damaged or whatever it still won't work, and it won't be visible when plugged into a PC at all (it'll charge with the right battery pack but that's it).

With Xbox One, they made the controllers have built-in firmware that could be upgraded, and at least in the early days it was possible to have sporadic desync issues even if you were USB-wired in. Not 100% sure if they eventually properly fixed it, or if the issue was really one with earlier controller revisions (there have been at least 3 revisions of controller and a 4th is on its way) that wasn't doing its communication through the wire like it should have been.

I just bought 2 Wii U GameCube controllers on clearance. Can they really only be used on smash bros?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

I just bought 2 Wii U GameCube controllers on clearance. Can they really only be used on smash bros?

Mod your vWii and use it to play gamecube games.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

On the Wii U yes. They're literally just gamecube controllers with a longer cord and a smash logo on them. So you could use them on the Wii or a Gamecube too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Gonna clarify since there are a few variables at play here:

I'm assuming you got one of the more recent Black (or White if you imported) "Wii U" controllers with the Smash logo on them, which are actually just freshly-made Gamecube controllers:

If your controllers are actual Gamecube controllers (the round connector like pictured above) and you're hooking them up to your Wii U with a USB adapter, then officially they only work with Smash Bros, but softmodding does expand that support somewhat (I'm not 100% on the full specifics).
If you have Gamecube controllers and you're hooking them up to an original Wii, specifically a non-late model so it has actual Gamecube controller and memory card ports, support is expanded to multiple (although not all) titles including Virtual Console stuff.

If your controller plugs into the bottom of a Wiimote like the ones pictured below, then it's technically a "classic controller" and so it'll work with all games compatible with those.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's the best SNES-controller-to-USB converter? Got the urge to be all nostalgic and my TV is spoken for by the roommate most of the time I'm free. Official SNES controllers, obviously.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's the best SNES-controller-to-USB converter? Got the urge to be all nostalgic and my TV is spoken for by the roommate most of the time I'm free. Official SNES controllers, obviously.

I know you said official only, but honestly the 8bitdo sfc30 is really nice, and can work with pretty much any blutooth capable device. It can even work wirelessly with your snes with an addon.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be honest, I'd recommend just buying an 8bitdo SNES30 or SFC30. It's literally the SNES controller only w/bluetooth and USB.

When I say literally I obviously mean that they modified the molds for battery and usb port, but it's a 1:1 look/feel controller that would fool the most hardened Nintendo fanboy in a blind test.

If you're dead set on an adapter then that's cool I guess but if you're spending the money then the SNES30 or SFC30 aren't that expensive and you can get adapters to use them in a real Nintendo if you want to go that route later on.

I own three. Two SNES30s and one SFC30. I ended up opening my SNES30s and replacing the buttons with ones from my official SFC controller. They're identical fits. Buttons are the same, even the rubber membranes are the same so if you really MUST have the same feel of your old broken in SNES controller you can just put the old worn membrane in and go to town :haw:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Martytoof posted:

When I say literally I obviously mean that they modified the molds for battery and usb port, but it's a 1:1 look/feel controller that would fool the most hardened Nintendo fanboy in a blind test.
All right, I can handle that. I just figured I already owned controllers!

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This guy makes good adapters.
http://raphnet.com/products/snes_to_usb_cable/index.php

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's absolutely fair. There's a good number of adapters that exist (none of which I know to recommend), I just assume everyone hates cables as much as I do :q:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

This is so cool. I couldn't find it on romhacking.net. Could you link me to the patch or pm me info on how to obtain it?
It was never published there. Did you have trouble finding it in the description of that video or my link earlier? Maybe I messed it up, cant check link now.

E:late

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 2, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Please welcome to the family, my new son. I love him very much:

Thanks Grapeshot, it works great. Haven't been able to test out the disk drive though because local retroshop didn't have any c64 games. I ordered a few today.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

worthless. posted:

Please welcome to the family, my new son. I love him very much:

Thanks Grapeshot, it works great. Haven't been able to test out the disk drive though because local retroshop didn't have any c64 games. I ordered a few today.

what a handsome boy

... huh, I've never seen a 1541 that looked like that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If I wanted to buy an SNES style gamepad that does USB, what's my best option?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ő_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ő

Sigma-X posted:

If I wanted to buy an SNES style gamepad that does USB, what's my best option?
I've never tried one myself, but I've heard great things about the SNES30 controllers. It says it's Bluetooth, but you can also plug it into a USB port.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
For slightly less, the Buffalo SNES pads are supposed to be really good.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I did this earlier tonight at Arcade 2084 in Anaheim. My personal best. 1,534,500. Stage 130. Took me 75 minutes. Killed my previous personal best by 400k.

I'm never gonna play for 56 hours straight though, because I'm a healthy and balanced person, or something.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Code Jockey posted:

what a handsome boy

... huh, I've never seen a 1541 that looked like that.

That's the 1541C, which was designed to match the C64C model, although they were more common with the Newtronics lever system instead of the Alps mechanism pictured. The 1541-II that came after it had just the lever system.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Elliotw2 posted:

For slightly less, the Buffalo SNES pads are supposed to be really good.

I bought a few of them about 5 years ago when I was building a HTPC. 2 of the NES ones, two of the SNES ones. Goal being to have as legit an experience as possible when playing emulated games.

The quality was bad. Couldn't even get past 1-1 in Super Mario Brothers due to the combination of bad buttons and input lag delay on my TV. Maybe they have gotten better since.

Then the Chromecast came out and my need for an HTPC dropped so it's been unused since.

Now I have a RetroPi and the 8bitdo SNES controller and it's awesome (one you get it configured with the various emulators)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I made the stupid decision to buy a SNES. Never had one as a kid so there was stuff I missed back int he day. I got it hooked up and running and already I am experiencing the joys of Retro gaming

1: This green bar going down the center of the screen when the screen is black. From what I read this is what happened when you hook a old system up to a modern TV.

2: If I nudge the thing enough to rattle the components inside the system glitches out and I need to reset.

I mainly wanna play RPGs on it. Right now I started FF6

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

BigRed0427 posted:

This green bar going down the center of the screen when the screen is black. From what I read this is what happened when you hook a old system up to a modern TV.

Bright green bar, or just a subtle vaguely-green discoloration?

If the latter, then that's normal for most SNESes, unfortunately. http://retrorgb.com/snesverticalline.html

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

ullerrm posted:

Bright green bar, or just a subtle vaguely-green discoloration?

If the latter, then that's normal for most SNESes, unfortunately. http://retrorgb.com/snesverticalline.html

It varies depending on the screen I find. As long as theres not a black space where I'm playing it's fine.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I made the stupid decision to buy a SNES. Never had one as a kid so there was stuff I missed back int he day. I got it hooked up and running and already I am experiencing the joys of Retro gaming

1: This green bar going down the center of the screen when the screen is black. From what I read this is what happened when you hook a old system up to a modern TV.

2: If I nudge the thing enough to rattle the components inside the system glitches out and I need to reset.

I mainly wanna play RPGs on it. Right now I started FF6

Welcome to the club! Yeah, retro systems are pretty much designed with old CRT TV tolerances and sync technology in mind whereas modern systems expect anything you plug into them to output a fully standards-compliant signal. The green bar is likely the system having a hard time discerning which part of the image is the top and which is the bottom (this is what "vertical hold" was for back in the day) since the TV signal was a continuous rolling signal and not a rigid number of complete frames.

For the nudging, yeah, the old systems can't deal with any part of the cartridge/console communication being even slightly interrupted. I swear they weren't always like that, but it's definitely extremely common, even on Game Center CX while playing Super Mario World, Arino gave the cartridge the lightest tap with the corner of a foldout sheet and that was enough to completely bork the session.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

BigRed0427 posted:

It varies depending on the screen I find. As long as theres not a black space where I'm playing it's fine.

Yeah, sadly that's perfectly normal for most SNESes.

(Technical explanation: The SNES does a burst DRAM refresh in the middle of each scanline, and it generates noise on the PPU Vcc lines.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picked up a Xbox today after searching for a few months. Mostly got it to play Links again (it's been so long since we had such a great golf game like Links). Wondering how Rallisport or PGR aged. Anyone know? Also any hidden gems you guys recommend?

Thanks

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Obligatory Phantom Crush, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future I guess.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Weren't the KOTOR games originally made for the XBox in mind?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah played both on pc may try on Xbox.

jSRF is my fav game of all time so gunna try to get that again. Has top spin aged well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also what's a good place online to buy retro games besides GameStop?

• Locked thread