Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Do they ever explain why Zelda didn't age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Shield parry is kinda broken vs guardians. I cleared almost all of the guardians in Hyrule Castle with nothing but 2x knight's shields and parrying. Except when the turrets glitch out, but when they do that you can just wail on them with the master sword as they randomly laser in the opposite direction.

Just try to parry everything from the same distance (roughly the same distance that walkers stop gap closing on you). After a while it becomes muscle memory and you only screw it up if you do things like 10x or 12x parry a skytank at long range. You adjust to the different timing and then screw it up vs walkers and turrets.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 2, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't believe you can stasis the ancient machines and I never realized it. Makes them so much less of a pain.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

WanderingKid posted:

Shield parry is kinda broken vs guardians. I cleared almost all of the guardians in Hyrule Castle with nothing but 2x knight's shields and parrying. Except when the turrets glitch out, but when they do that you can just wail on them with the master sword as they randomly laser in the opposite direction.

It is a thing that I just loving suck at in this game and now that I'm done with the plot I will focus on because there is still so much to do. I might just have the worst timing ever tho, who knows.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Modus Pwnens posted:

Of course they didn't. She's exactly the same because it'd look weird for Link's girlfriend to be a lich.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

She stasised herself like usual. Probably turned herself into a crystal and got swallowed by Ganon.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Modus Pwnens posted:

Triforce

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

GobiasIndustries posted:

It is a thing that I just loving suck at in this game and now that I'm done with the plot I will focus on because there is still so much to do. I might just have the worst timing ever tho, who knows.

The timing doesn't have to be that tight. Its nowhere near Street Fighter.

Ignore the laser visuals and listen to the beep. Once you have target lock you can just close your eyes, wait for beep. When beep finishes, wait between 0.25 and 0.5 seconds then tap "A".

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Zelda is actually a Kokiri and she stays a child forever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Huh, do they actually ever say the word Triforce in the game?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

WanderingKid posted:

The timing doesn't have to be that tight. Its nowhere near Street Fighter.

Ignore the laser visuals and listen to the beep. Once you have target lock you can just close your eyes, wait for beep. When beep finishes, wait between 0.25 and 0.5 seconds then tap "A".

Oh god don't get me started on fighter games, I love them but am also miserable at them

I still had a ton of situations where I did just about that, though, and it didn't work, or it did work and then I got a laser in my face immediately after where was no sound, seemingly just because, and then sometimes it ended where I was sliding down a mountain while being shot at with lasers.

I think I have seen Link tumbling unconsciously down mountains more than I have seen him killing things in this game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ganon's plan was stupid. Only splitting into four copies of himself? Fucker should have stepped up that number to 13

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any reason to try and kill one of those dragons? I haven't seen a single mention of them for the entire game.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

veni veni veni posted:

Is there any reason to try and kill one of those dragons? I haven't seen a single mention of them for the entire game.

I don't think killing them is a thing but they drop rare upgrade items depending on where you shoot them as they pass.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

veni veni veni posted:

There are reasons to shoot them with arrows. If you think they are gonna be an actual fight you're wrong. You just get a material depending on where you hit them that can be used for upgrades, cooking, and 3 shrine quests.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Cojawfee posted:

Zelda is actually a Kokiri and she stays a child forever.

She's actually half-Zora.

Her dad had a fetish for Zora women.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Novum posted:

I don't think killing them is a thing but they drop rare upgrade items depending on where you shoot them as they pass.

They are super easy to farm too. There are 3 shrines you can warp to, rest until a certain time and then the dragons are within range in about a minute or so.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Viewtiful Jew posted:

She's actually half-Zora.

Her dad had a fetish for Zora women.

Link is her boyrfriend, not her dad

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

GobiasIndustries posted:

My inability kill Guardians well caught up to me at the castle, where running away from a guardian just meant running into the crosshairs of at least two others.

Sounds rough. I bet you could use a vacation from all that stress - I hear northeastern Akkala is nice this time of year.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Roundabout Route posted:

Sounds rough. I bet you could use a vacation from all that stress - I hear northeastern Akkala is nice this time of year.

Ha, or just not being terrible at combat because so much of that vacation requires killing the very things I run from.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.

spit on my clit posted:

i did because the headpiece reminds me of knuckles

That's bad for your Nintendo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish the master sword actually had a timer instead of disappearing until its ready.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What are folks' favored ways of farming Silver Lynels? I love fighting them(currently have like 7 Savage Lynel Swords with 70-98 damage on them, 2 Savage Lynel Crushers, 8 Savage Lynel Bows and 6 Savage Lynel Shields) and my general tactic is headshot, run in, whip out a two-hander mace/sword/hammer and Spin To Win them while they're stunned, Stasis them to avoid counterattacks, dodge followups and repeat. The two-hander always breaks before the fight ends but MAN does it just annihilate their health bar, especially if you hit that sweet spot where sometimes each spin will hit twice. Flurry Rushing tends to lead to 3 broken weapons before they die, but landing half a dozen headshots definitely helps in saving weapons. Urbosa's Fury also helps a lot.

Man, I remember the first thing I did when I first got off the Plateau was wander the world. I managed to get to the Rito area(but didn't get to Rito Village), and somehow wound up along the part at the top of the map where it's next to the end of the world(the bottomless valley). I managed to make it through the snow area eating heat food, and made my way all the way to the Leviathan Bones in the north(dodging Lynels and such on the way since they gibbed me instantly), and managed to kill all the dudes in there using all my bomb arrows, which set me up with a lot of fire weapons and such. Then I went after a Silver Lynel with only 4 hearts, meaning I had to perfect it to beat it, and did. Probably the best fight I had in the game, super intense. It also taught me how to Perfect Dodge better than anything else.

Also, is there any reason to kill Stalnox, they seem to be absolutely not worth it compared to Hinox. No guts, and rarely drop anything else besides weapons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

veni veni veni posted:

I wish the master sword actually had a timer instead of disappearing until its ready.

It does on the pause screen.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

veni veni veni posted:

Ever tried selecting it in your inventory menu while it's on cooldown? (Not the quick menu that you access with the D-Pad, the actual pause menu.)

My preferred method of fighting a Lynel ATM is dropping a heavy rock on their head a couple hundred times while wearing full metal plate and the Thunder Helm during a thunderstorm. Who needs weapons?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Headshot, full sword combo, mounting attack, slowtime headshot on dismount, repeat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

You can't kill them. You can, however, knock parts off with arrows, and there are three shrine quests that require you to do so. You also need some parts to upgrade certain armor, like the Champion's Tunic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If a shrine requires arrows, it should give you arrows somewhere in it. I'm mostly talking about the Shora Hah aka Blue Flame Shrine in the Death Mountain area. It's one of the longest puzzle shrines I've found, and surprise, you need regular arrows halfway through. It's one of the few puzzle shrines that really made me think, so I'll give it a pass.

It's amazing how good the mid to late game foods of one cooked Hearty Durian for a full heal and five cooked Mighty Bananas are for max attack bonus and they're all found at one place, Faron Tower.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

loving hahaha to whoever came up with the piloting guardians prank, you ruined the comment sections of literally every LP I was watching. Thanks for that.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

What? I didn't think you could land on the flying guardians.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GobiasIndustries posted:

For what it's worth, even when you can consistently parry them the flying machines are still complete bastards if you want to stop and kill them rather than run like a bitch evade them by breaking line of sight for two seconds (Which is a small comfort climbing a tall exposed surface). So after spending the whole game just sneaking around them, I killed the ones on my way through the castle with ancient arrows purely out of spite. Because I just want them dead, and parrying them will often fly right past their wobbly face anyways.

Also, even without the varying timing based on height and distance for everyone saying parries are easier in this game, I find them more inconsistent than harder games. The timing definitely feels tighter to me, even when I'm in the zone and bouncing back lasers 100% of the time.

How often you hear people saying "It's really forgiving timing!" and immediately following it up with "Unless the elevation changes. Or the distance changes. or-" is pretty fascinating, though. Even if it is very true that as the game goes on and you get more tools and experience, guardians of all types lose their credibility.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 2, 2017

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

bef posted:

3d has turned into this "open world" format...it's the same thing but done a hell of a lot better. I don't ever imagine them going back to what they've done earlier and tbh I don't think they should

I think you could very easily expand upon this format with more developed "corner stone" missions. Imagine if after the four beasts there were 4 more hyrule castle sized/styled racial dungeons. I agree that they probably can't do a super linear format again, but I would have loved another "here are 4 more things to do, go for it in any order" thing.

Like gently caress it, what if to beat Gannon I needed to go get the triforce out of the jungle temple, snow temple, and forest temple. There are some pretty significant areas in this game that could have awesome set piece dungeons. I think the way hyrule castle was presented owned, being its own area with a dungeon map but also having a cohesive set piece feel and level design that wasn't present in the great beasts. Sure the beasts has their own gimmicks, but in terms of aesthetics and mechanics they were very similar.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Section Z posted:

For what it's worth, even when you can consistently parry them the flying machines are still complete bastards if you want to stop and kill them rather than run like a bitch evade them by breaking line of sight for two seconds (Which is a small comfort climbing a tall exposed surface). So after spending the whole game just sneaking around them, I killed the ones on my way through the castle with ancient arrows purely out of spite. Because I just want them dead, and parrying them will often fly right past their wobbly face anyways.

Also, even without the varying timing based on height and distance for everyone saying parries are easier in this game, I find them more inconsistent than harder games. The timing definitely feels tighter to me, even when I'm in the zone and bouncing back lasers 100% of the time.

How often you hear people saying "It's really forgiving timing!" and immediately following it up with "Unless the elevation changes. Or the distance changes. or-" is pretty fascinating, though. Even if it is very true that as the game goes on and you get more tools and experience, guardians of all types lose their credibility.

The timing is "forgiving" in the sense that "every guardian with 3 or more legs left will conveniently typically place itself at the exact same location relative to you in such a way that you can reliably use random cues unrelated to the beam's travel time like "right when the eye flashes" or "half a second after you hear X noise".

As soon as you have something stationary or flying, all bets are off and you get some fly by the seat of your pants training. Forgotten Temple I'm looking straight at you, rear end in a top hat

e: I will say it's also "forgiving" in the sense that if you wait too long, you "just" lose a shield or, potentially, get a bad parry that sets some poo poo on fire but doesn't blow you straight to gently caress. If you're like me and regularly parry too early, well.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 2, 2017

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Drewjitsu posted:

What? I didn't think you could land on the flying guardians.

Some site said that you could pilot the walking ones by mixing together horns from the three dragons plus a core or whatever and you get a key and then you can go inside the walking ones and zap things. So every comment section is, "Do that!" and I'm like, "... It's loving April first dudes."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The timing is "forgiving" in the sense that "every guardian with 3 or more legs left will conveniently typically place itself at the exact same location relative to you in such a way that you can reliably use random cues unrelated to the beam's travel time like "right when the eye flashes" or "half a second after you hear X noise".

As soon as you have something stationary or flying, all bets are off and you get some fly by the seat of your pants training. Forgotten Temple I'm looking straight at you, rear end in a top hat

... do people seriously not just glide throughForgotten Temple. Like... none of that poo poo will ever hit you! Just glide forward!

:psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I do wish this game had some cool hidden recipes for cooking stuff like a bunch of guardian parts or one of every gemstone. Let me make dragon scale stew too.

Zore posted:

... do people seriously not just glide throughForgotten Temple. Like... none of that poo poo will ever hit you! Just glide forward!

"I have to kill everything!"- a lot of people, including me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just finished it up. I skipped about half of the memories. I'm curious about what I missed. Im guessing there might be more to the ending if you get all of them, but I could be wrong?

Really awesome game. Like, it was kind of crazy playing Horizon then this and that they came out a week apart. Easily the two most enjoyable open world games I've ever played by quite a wide margin.

Zelda honesty annoyed the gently caress out of me sometimes but I wouldn't change much about it. Most of the things that annoyed me were also what made it good. If I was in the right mood running around and looking for stuff was a blast, but sometimes I'd just want to get something done and the game would drag it out as long as possible and start to feel grating.

Overall the whole structure of the game and the physics stuff were amazing though. Really nice breath of fresh air with how stale the genre has been. It really captures the feeling of going on an adventure better than any game I can think of. I really hope it has a lot of influence on games in the future. Fantastic art direction too.

I still kind of can't believe how big it is. I played for about 60 hours and I feel like it would have probably taken twice that to do everything. Probably way more if I was trying to be a total completionist with all the seeds and photos.

Anyhow I'm rambling but all in all a pretty remarkable game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zore posted:

It was my first test run of the Master Sword so my reaction to what was inside that place was 100% :getin:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

I bet you're the dude that walks into a shrine, sees a massive fuckoff puzzle, and shield bomb jumps to the monk 10 feet away then complains that it was too easy :colbert:

Kidding aside I actually had a lot of fun in that place doing it "legitimately" also I had treasure chest tracking on and they were a bit of a bitch to find even without ancient laser beams raining down on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Just finished it up. I skipped about half of the memories. I'm curious about what I missed. Im guessing there might be more to the ending if you get all of them, but I could be wrong?

Really awesome game. Like, it was kind of crazy playing Horizon then this and that they came out a week apart. Easily the two most enjoyable open world games I've ever played by quite a wide margin.

Zelda honesty annoyed the gently caress out of me sometimes but I wouldn't change much about it. Most of the things that annoyed me were also what made it good. If I was in the right mood running around and looking for stuff was a blast, but sometimes I'd just want to get something done and the game would drag it out as long as possible and start to feel grating.

Overall the whole structure of the game and the physics stuff were amazing though. Really nice breath of fresh air with how stale the genre has been. It really captures the feeling of going on an adventure better than any game I can think of. I really hope it has a lot of influence on games in the future. Fantastic art direction too.

I still kind of can't believe how big it is. I played for about 60 hours and I feel like it would have probably taken twice that to do everything. Probably way more if I was trying to be a total completionist with all the seeds and photos.

Anyhow I'm rambling but all in all a pretty remarkable game.

Yeah, there's a small post credit scene if you've gotten all the memories/master sword/have done all the Divine Beasts. Nothing huge, but it ties up Link and Zelda's story a bit.