Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Aquaman became the king of the seas, got a couple sidekicks in Aqualad and Aquagirl, and a queen in Mera. Mera herself is some kind of human-looking alien or something.

Mera's thing these days (i don't know how much of this is a retcon) is that she's from some exiled Atlantean tribe stuck in basically the underwater Phantom Zone and was sent by them to basically assassinate Aquaman by getting close to him but then she fell in love with Aquaman by accident. It's kind of cute, if a little stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/848023327134404608

Lame

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I don't get it

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktUx57i63e0

Wonder twins would own as a character actually.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Evil Canadian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktUx57i63e0

Wonder twins would own as a character actually.

what did they put in the water back then, jesus

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get it

It's an april fools joke that will generate so much internet faux hype for the wonder twins that NRS will make it DLC and release it alongside the Joker.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Mera's thing these days (i don't know how much of this is a retcon) is that she's from some exiled Atlantean tribe stuck in basically the underwater Phantom Zone and was sent by them to basically assassinate Aquaman by getting close to him but then she fell in love with Aquaman by accident. It's kind of cute, if a little stupid.

Lol is that just a random dude in the last panel? Because that would own even more than it being a real character.

E: Wonder twins would be totally awesome, if they did like a Noob/Smoke thing with them.

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 1, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It is just some random dude. That comic run was full of people not being impressed wi Aquaman

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol was just thinking how Wonder Twins would be an incredible left-field DLC choice. They should totally do it for real.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

This would actually be a good one if it were even remotely believable any sane person would have the Wonder Twins in their game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I want them in the game so I can beat them up with monkeys and amazon warriors

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
If they did the version from JLU it'd be worth it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Ed should just post "Here's Joker" and it's actually Zombie Liu-Kang with Joker's head photoshopped on top.

Actually if Joker came back but looked/played like Zombie Liu-Kang that'd be pretty good. Just say a wizard/Shang Tsung brought him back.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Ed should just post "Here's Joker" and it's actually Zombie Liu-Kang with Joker's head photoshopped on top.

Actually if Joker came back but looked/played like Zombie Liu-Kang that'd be pretty good. Just say a wizard/Shang Tsung brought him back.

A Shang Tsung did it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

This would actually be a good one if it were even remotely believable any sane person would have the Wonder Twins in their game.

I mean, many people want Red Hood, a guy whose power is "wears a dumb mask and has a gun" so I'd welcome something like "twin magic elves who turn into water and tigers"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they'd probably have an amazing move set

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Netherrealm-style Wonder Twins would be an interesting choice, since it'd basically be a stance system where the girl turns into an animal and the boy is some weapon made of ice that the animal is wielding.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope the thread title was serendipitous so that I can astound everyone with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg

Gavok posted:

Really good write-ups of the Injustice comic

Gavok actually had to skip over a ton of really endearing and fun details when summarizing the story, it really is a great comic, at least during Tom Taylor's run. There's a genuine love for the characters and a lack of cynicism in the writing that you completely wouldn't expect to see in a video game tie-in set in an edgy gritty alternate universe.

Gavok posted:

Start with Green Lantern: Rebirth and just work your way through Geoff Johns' GL run. It does really run out of gas towards the end (after Blackest Night), but it's a very solid run.

The most amazing thing about all of Johns' Green Lantern epic is that brief period where Hal didn't have a Green Lantern ring and was basically a sadsack unemployed loser, and then Sinestro showed up to make fun of him.

There's a spectacular moment where Hal manages to gently caress up so badly during a date with his long-standing love interest Carol Ferris that she angrily peels out of the restaurant's parking lot, prompting Hal to yell "Carol, wait! YOU DROVE ME HERE!"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Imagine Wonder Twins where one character is a grizzly bear and the other character is Rain from MK9

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Imagine Wonder Twins where one character is a grizzly bear and the other character is Rain from MK9

I'm imagining him as literally rain from MK9 just falling from the sky all match while Grodd or Aquaman or whatever fights his sister the grizzly bear.

Lurdiak posted:

The most amazing thing about all of Johns' Green Lantern epic is that brief period where Hal didn't have a Green Lantern ring and was basically a sadsack unemployed loser, and then Sinestro showed up to make fun of him.

There's a spectacular moment where Hal manages to gently caress up so badly during a date with his long-standing love interest Carol Ferris that she angrily peels out of the restaurant's parking lot, prompting Hal to yell "Carol, wait! YOU DROVE ME HERE!"

That sounds awesome because of how closely it mimics my actual life at the moment.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

I mean, many people want Red Hood, a guy whose power is "wears a dumb mask and has a gun" so I'd welcome something like "twin magic elves who turn into water and tigers"

I'm honestly going to be kind of offended if Red Hood is his own character and not just a premium skin for Deadshot.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I would love if The Wonder Twins were legit characters in the game, especially if it was the Shifter and Downpour versions from the JLU animates series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PRJnLBva3w Wish I could find a better clip though.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

I would love if The Wonder Twins were legit characters in the game, especially if it was the Shifter and Downpour versions from the JLU animates series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PRJnLBva3w Wish I could find a better clip though.

Aquaman: talks to fish, pimp slaps elves.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I was kinda hoping for a 2nd beta since I couldn't get in the first, but now were a month and change from release so that's probably not happening :smith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

And now the most recent character to show up in the game.

ATROCITUS

Alias: Atros
First Appearance: Green Lantern v.4 #25 (2007)
Powers: Wields a Red Lantern ring, which allows him super strength, durability, napalm vomit and light constructs. Can see visions of the future.

When Geoff Johns did his lengthy Green Lantern run through the 00’s, he looked at a lot of pieces of the Green Lantern mythology and used them as connected building blocks towards something bigger. They had the big villain Sinestro, who used a yellow energy ring, but with yellow no longer being a Green Lantern weakness and there being an entire corps compared to one bad guy, where else can you go than have Sinestro start his own team of yellow ring-slingers?

Then there’s the Star Sapphires, who are like violet, voluptuous offshoots of the Green Lanterns. And once upon a time, Alan Moore wrote a short story that mentioned a prophesized “Blackest Night” that would put an end to the Green Lantern Corps. So Johns decided to connect the dots. There are Green Lanterns, Yellow Lanterns and Violet Lanterns and some future event tied into the color black. Why stop there?

Johns created Atrocitus, the leader of the Red Lanterns. Atros was a psychologist in Sector 666 whose entire planet was wiped out by a bunch of rogue Manhunters (think Space Terminators). Losing everything, especially his family, Atros renamed himself Atrocitus, hooked up with the few remaining survivors, and started a crazy blood cult. Through their rituals, Atrocitus saw a few glances into the future, including the coming of the Blackest Night.

Atrocitus was retconned into not only being the guy who killed Abin Sur on his way to Earth during Hal Jordan’s origin, but he also told Sinestro that his home world of Korugar would fall into chaos, thereby pushing Sinestro into the path of self-destructive dictatorship.

Atrocitus sacrificed the other survivors and created a giant Red Lantern battery and rings. He built up an army of rage-induced soldiers, some in response to the big Green Lantern vs. Sinestro Corps war. For most Red Lanterns, they remain mindless and savage in their hatred, acting like the infected from 28 Days Later. There’s a fix for that, but Atrocitus chooses not to use it for the most part because he’s a dick and I guess it keeps them in line. Also, losing your red ring proves fatal unless a Blue Lantern is able to cure you.

Since the Manhunters were originally created by the Guardians of Oa, Atrocitus was originally dedicated to wiping out the Green Lantern Corps as a giant middle finger. Then again, he also hated Sinestro too, so he wasn’t initially going to side with either gang.

One of the more marquee members of the Red Lanterns is Atrocitus’ pet and sidekick Dex-Starr. Formerly a cat from Earth named Dexter, he was powerless to stop his master from being killed by a home invader. After being tossed into a sack and thrown off a bridge by some rear end in a top hat kids, Dexter’s anger summoned a Red Lantern ring and empowered him.

Another notable member is Bleez, whose design is so completely NetherRealm that I’m genuinely surprised they used Atrocitus in the game instead of her. She seriously looks like Ed Boon tried to redesign Morrigan from Darkstalkers. Eventually granted her wits by Atrocitus instead of being a mindless psycho, Bleez attempted to usurp Atrocitus once or twice, but never pulled it off. She later became a bit more of a heroic figure.

Being forced to team up with the different Lantern Corps several times over, Atrocitus started to become more of a Galactic Frank Castle and was portrayed as more of an antihero. He also got his revenge on Krona, the renegade Oan who was responsible for the Manhunters that took his family. After the revenge, Atrocitus chose to use the Red Lanterns to kill the guilty of the universe, as he’d otherwise lose his anger.

As the main character in the Red Lanterns series, Atrocitus was kind of lame and angsty. Especially when he discovered that if his planet hadn’t been killed, he would have become a dictator and his son would have killed him. Luckily, writer Charles Soule briefly made Red Lanterns one of the most underrated comics in DC by having Guy Gardner (complete with Lemmy mustache) join the team as a mole, overthrow Atrocitus, free the minds of the other members and go on pissed off space adventures. Supergirl joined the team for a bit too. It was great.

With Guy as the hero, Atrocitus and Dex-Starr became the villains of the book, briefly starting their own splinter group. They vanished after a pretty major defeat, but the book ended soon after and Guy went back to being just a Green Lantern.

Since Rebirth, Atrocitus is back in charge of the Red Lanterns with Bleez back on his side and they’re outright villains again. Such is life.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Dex-Starr is a good kitty.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Whats the story behind the giant space bull in Atrocitus's super

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Whats the story behind the giant space bull in Atrocitus's super

IIRC each of the various lantern corps has kinda like a spirit animal that is the primordial incarnation of that emotional spectrum (green/willpower, yellow/fear, red/rage, etc). It is called the Butcher and is the incarnation of rage. Parallax the yellow one is easily the most important/famous of them and has had many stories over the years.

The green one is a whale!

*ed*

A wiki link, has actual info http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Butcher_Entity

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

When I was reading Johns' Lantern story, the hinting of the spirit animals briefly led me to think he was going to do a thing where the Butcher was actually based on man's ancestor, since it was shown in a panel violently murdering another caveperson. That probably would've been pretty shallow commentary, but also less goofy than a space bull.

The fact that Love(star sapphires) and Compassion(indigo lanterns) are super hosed up corps with dubious morals and that Love's spirit animal looks like this:

Says a lot about Geoff Johns.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And the Star Sapphires are composed entirely of women who dress like they're in a space striptease revue.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

When I was reading Johns' Lantern story, the hinting of the spirit animals briefly led me to think he was going to do a thing where the Butcher was actually based on man's ancestor, since it was shown in a panel violently murdering another caveperson. That probably would've been pretty shallow commentary, but also less goofy than a space bull.

The implication was that The Butcher was created by Abel's murder IIRC.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The implication was that The Butcher was created by Abel's murder IIRC.

is vandal savage still abel after all those reboots

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I hope the thread title was serendipitous so that I can astound everyone with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg

haha that's exactly what I was thinking of. I only just saw it months ago and was amazed at how great the intro is.

Reading the Atrocitus bio and ending with "now he's just a regular villain again" is why I dislike DC. They continuously, almost accidentally, let great narratives happen and then just reboot poo poo back to the most boring and bloodless status quo. How can anyone bear reading a comics license that repeatedly retcons every single thing? How could anyone get away with this poo poo like 5 times already?

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 2, 2017

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

Wasn't the Phantom Stranger Judas Iscariot for awhile or am I thinking of someone else?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

Kaine but yes, he's still is.

HMS Beagle posted:

Wasn't the Phantom Stranger Judas Iscariot for awhile or am I thinking of someone else?

Correct. Personally I liked the idea.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MinibarMatchman posted:

haha that's exactly what I was thinking of. I only just saw it months ago and was amazed at how great the intro is.

Reading the Atrocitus bio and ending with "now he's just a regular villain again" is why I dislike DC. They continuously, almost accidentally, let great narratives happen and then just reboot poo poo back to the most boring and bloodless status quo. How can anyone bear reading a comics license that repeatedly retcons every single thing? How could anyone get away with this poo poo like 5 times already?

You don't even need the retcons. Marvel and DC decide "now he's just a regular villain again" all the time and it's a pain in the rear end almost every time. The absolute worst was the Riddler. For maybe two years, Riddler had a new status quo where he decided he wasn't going to live a life of crime anymore. Instead, he started his own detective agency. Not only would he make bank for doing what comes natural to him, but he'd still be able to prove his intellectual superiority to Batman by beating him to the punch... without going to Arkham for it. The two became uneasy allies for a time and it came to an end when one writer had Riddler survive an explosion and suddenly go, "I now remember that Batman is Bruce Wayne and I'm evil again!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

You don't even need the retcons. Marvel and DC decide "now he's just a regular villain again" all the time and it's a pain in the rear end almost every time. The absolute worst was the Riddler. For maybe two years, Riddler had a new status quo where he decided he wasn't going to live a life of crime anymore. Instead, he started his own detective agency. Not only would he make bank for doing what comes natural to him, but he'd still be able to prove his intellectual superiority to Batman by beating him to the punch... without going to Arkham for it. The two became uneasy allies for a time and it came to an end when one writer had Riddler survive an explosion and suddenly go, "I now remember that Batman is Bruce Wayne and I'm evil again!"

I'm more upset about them going the same route with Bane. Having him clean of Venom and having settled his beef with Batman (he even asked Bruce for help every now and then!) was much more interesting than the junkie obsessed with Batman that seemingly can't go five minutes without saying how he will break you.

gently caress you DC :argh:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Lurdiak posted:

The fact that Love(star sapphires) and Compassion(indigo lanterns) are super hosed up corps with dubious morals and that Love's spirit animal looks like this:

Says a lot about Geoff Johns.

Another thing to note about the different corps is that the emotion spectrum they represent also shows how volatile the power is. Willpower is the center of the spectrum, so it's the most tempered/controllable. Love on the other hand exists on a farther end, which makes it harder to control, and makes the wielder more extreme in their actions.

Also, the different corps affect each other in different ways. Compassion itself isn't a power that is tangible that can create constructs, it channels the other corps' powers (and they could teleport); Hope's main ability is amplifying the power of Willpower, and I think it was also used to removed the Rage rings from the wielder (becoming a Rage Lantern meant permanently fusing it to your body).

The best corp of course was the Avarice Lanterns, who were actually a army of light constructs of past ringbearers killed by Larfleez, who wanted all the power to himself, becoming the single wielder of the full power of a entire corp.

MINE!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm more upset about them going the same route with Bane. Having him clean of Venom and having settled his beef with Batman (he even asked Bruce for help every now and then!) was much more interesting than the junkie obsessed with Batman that seemingly can't go five minutes without saying how he will break you.

gently caress you DC :argh:

lol that pissed me off so much more than even Riddler. he just completely goes nuts and literally says "oh I'm bane, I break people, that's what I do" loving why, it's not like Batman was starved for villains, they were making new ones like The Talons and Dr. Hurt at an insane clip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/injusticegame/status/848580805496512512

Catwoman gameplay tomorrow

• Locked thread