Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dexie posted:

Especially when most of the time, those new types don't fit in or make sense or are strong enough thematically to be a new type.

Light? It's arguably already covered by Psychics and Fairies, and if you want a counterpart to Dark, you have Fighting and Fairies.
Sound? Moves that utilize sound work fine as Normal type moves.
Mystic? Covered by Fairies and Psychics.
Cosmic? Eh. I almost want to give this one a pass and say it'd be fine as a new type.

tbh, I was semi-convinced the new type in X/Y would be sound before they revealed Fairy. It definitely has enough stuff in the game to support an archetype already with a ton of pokemon based around it, sound moves having special mechanics, multiple abilities that affect sound moves etc.

Not saying it should be, but I could easily have seen Gamefreak doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zore posted:

tbh, I was semi-convinced the new type in X/Y would be sound before they revealed Fairy. It definitely has enough stuff in the game to support an archetype already with a ton of pokemon based around it, sound moves having special mechanics, multiple abilities that affect sound moves etc.

We do have Liquid Voice, Popplio's HA: "All sound-based moves become Water-type moves."

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zore posted:

I can see maybe Rock being weak to it, but as far as it's other type relations go, what else would work?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

iospace posted:

We do have Liquid Voice, Popplio's HA: "All sound-based moves become Water-type moves."

Yeah, and Soundproof. And sound moves pierce substitute. And throat chop locks out sound moves for 2 turns.

I dunno, its an interesting little subarchetype that has a lot of special rules.

Dexie posted:

I can see maybe Rock being weak to it, but as far as it's other type relations go, what else would work?

Ice :downs:

Personally, I'd make it SE against Water, Ground and Fairy. Resisted by Rock, Dragon, Fire and Ice. Resistant to Fairy, Water, and Fighting. Weak to Steel and Poison.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 2, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dexie posted:

Yeah, I don't think this idea is very sound.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
What that gently caress is Mystic even?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

dungeon cousin posted:

What that gently caress is Mystic even?

"Mystic Type is not what you'd expect, and that's the entire point of it. Mystic is a type dedicated to that which can not be explained, but is still incredibly powerful. The entire type is about messing with your expectations.

Mystic is a type with the most trickery of all types, with many moves and abilities that exist purely to mess with you, to subvert what you've learned and to trick you into making mistakes. Remembering all tricks Mystic has to offer will be incredibly tough."

http://www.projectazurite.com/mystic-type

A typing that's already covered by Fairies and Psychics.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexie posted:

"Mystic Type is not what you'd expect, and that's the entire point of it. Mystic is a type dedicated to that which can not be explained, but is still incredibly powerful. The entire type is about messing with your expectations.

Mystic is a type with the most trickery of all types, with many moves and abilities that exist purely to mess with you, to subvert what you've learned and to trick you into making mistakes. Remembering all tricks Mystic has to offer will be incredibly tough."

http://www.projectazurite.com/mystic-type

A typing that's already covered by Fairies and Psychics.

How is a single type double resistant to another single type :psyduck:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's messing with your expectations!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

FreezingInferno posted:

This game was considered for Geoff Keighley's Spike Game Awards show.

This game could have been nominated for a goddamned Game Award.

This game. Nominated for a "Best Of" award.

To boot, I think the only reason it wasn't was because Nintendo told them "don't do it".

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Dexie posted:

iospace posted:

How is a single type double resistant to another single type :psyduck:

gently caress right off

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 2, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexie posted:

It's messing with your expectations!

:ughh: And their website isn't consistent with it.

Like, there's some halfway decent ideas here. Item that increases encounters? Cool, good for grinding EVs. I'd know I'd want one now that I see that. A defense version of the Assault Vest? Also not bad.

Though I do find it funny they included a 0.1 catch rate ball after everyone was using beast balls.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

iospace posted:

Like, there's some halfway decent ideas here. Item that increases encounters? Cool, good for grinding EVs. I'd know I'd want one now that I see that. A defense version of the Assault Vest? Also not bad.

I forget whether an Illuminate haver needs to be in the front slot but between it and Sweet Scent the convenience seems unnecessary.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AweStriker posted:

I forget whether an Illuminate haver needs to be in the front slot but between it and Sweet Scent the convenience seems unnecessary.

Field moves are gone, so you have to spam honey. I forgot about Illuminate, though.

But Stench and that one held item also reduce encounter rates, which does overlap with repell.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Nah, that would completely gut the already anemic list of normal-type special attacks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

Nah, that would completely gut the already anemic list of normal-type special attacks.

Its not like thats stopped them before. Remember during the Physical/Special split where they had to create Dark Pulse because all previous Dark moves became physical?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I do like that the mega evolution of Electrode is straight up a Great Ball, who's ability is a boost to recoil moves (namely Self-Destruct and Explosion). Sure, lets use your once per battle mega-evolution to do a suicide attack, that's smart.

That said the region Pika-clone isn't that horrible.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Edginess aside I also like the Kurian Buneary line.

e: Oh my god mega land-form Shaymin is adorable, I want one

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 2, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I want a game that's just, like, FireRed/LeafGreen/maybe Yellow, but with all the improvements we've gotten since Gen 4. Physical/Special split, faster battles... hell, bring back Pokemon following you again from HG/SS and I would legit pay full-price for that.

I don't think we're likely to get it so soon after the VC rerelease of Red/Blue, but I can dream.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Its not like thats stopped them before. Remember during the Physical/Special split where they had to create Dark Pulse because all previous Dark moves became physical?

Yeah, but at that point what do they even do with it? Regular Beam? Boring Pulse? Sound attacks are an important conceptual niche for normal types and without them normal becomes even more of a joke.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Sound's a moderately solid type prospect, and I've always liked the idea of a 'synthetic' type, for stuff like Porygon and Genesect and possibly Voltorb. Sometimes I sorta think a Fossil or Ancient or Relic type would be neat too since I just think Rock is weird for all of those.

Fairy does pretty much cover Light though, a bit abstractly but it's a better type ultimately. Cosmic's very very limited in my opinion, right now it would by and large cover space stuff which is like seven or eight Pokemon and like five moves, most of which are legendary, there'd need to be a game that explicitly has like, a space colony or orbital ring as a major area for me to say that a space-ish type is suitable. And Mystic's way too abstract, and they didn't really define it. A good type immediately evokes an idea of what it's supposed to be and obviously describes the Pokemon in question while also not being too specific, and Mystic seems like it just treads ground that Psychic handles fine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah, but at that point what do they even do with it? Regular Beam? Boring Pulse? Sound attacks are an important conceptual niche for normal types and without them normal becomes even more of a joke.

Lean in and give them more poo poo like Tribeam imo. Or hyper beam style lasers.

I mean its not like some of the other types have varied attacks. Oh look I shot fire. This time tho, Im going to shoot more fire. This time even more fire!!!!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"There needs to be Light because there's Dark" is one of my personal Pokemon pet peeves. Sound would theoretically work, but I don't think it'd happen unless they needed another meta-rebalancing Type. (Remember, literally every new type released up to this point was done to provide a check for an at-the-time overpowered type.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sound definitely would be the most solid of all those ideas, even if it's still kind of weird and limited in what it can apply to. also the whole crystal thing just seems like a weird mega variant? a lot of why it sucks to just cram all this junk into a game is because the official games tend to not just throw in whatever whenever they feel like it. mainly since there's...usually not enough of a valid reason to actually include it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tribeam should actually be handled as three fire/ice/electric type attacks, but get STAB from normal type :colbert:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The biggest problem with a "sound" type is that there are existing sound moves with non-normal types that make sense with them. Bug Buzz is the sound a bug makes, it shouldn't be anything other than bug type but it's still a sound-based attack. Same for Metal Sound and Grass Whistle. The other issue comes with what Pokemon get the type. There's Exploud line, Noivern line, Chatot, Meloetta...and that's about it. You could make an argument for Vibrava/Flygon as well but that line has enough typing issues as-is.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Sometimes I sorta think a Fossil or Ancient or Relic type would be neat too since I just think Rock is weird for all of those.

B-but all of the fossil Pokemon are literally made of stone

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I don't think this idea is very sound.

:golfclap:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

LAY-ZX posted:

The biggest problem with a "sound" type is that there are existing sound moves with non-normal types that make sense with them. Bug Buzz is the sound a bug makes, it shouldn't be anything other than bug type but it's still a sound-based attack. Same for Metal Sound and Grass Whistle. The other issue comes with what Pokemon get the type. There's Exploud line, Noivern line, Chatot, Meloetta...and that's about it. You could make an argument for Vibrava/Flygon as well but that line has enough typing issues as-is.

yeah, they go through the process of adding around 5 new types but the list of pokemon they each apply to is like 10 at max. what's even the point. dark, steel and fairy were added since they were pretty broad things that could be easily applied to existing pokemon or new ones, but unless they go through the hassle of just making a bunch of pokemon sound-related in the future then there's really no reason to have even added it into the official games, you know?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

B-but all of the fossil Pokemon are literally made of stone

There are a bunch of other sound based pokemon though? Kricketune line, Jigglypuff line, Seismetoad line, Lapras, Chimeco line, Gigalith line, Crobat line...

Granted not all would or should be retyped, but :shrug:

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 2, 2017

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Zore posted:

There are a bunch of other sound based pokemon though? Kricketune line, Jigglypuff line, Seismetoad line, Lapras, Chimeco line, Crobat line...

Granted not all would or should be retyped, but :shrug:

Fair, I didn't think about it that hard. The moves are really the bigger issue, though, I think.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

LAY-ZX posted:

Fair, I didn't think about it that hard. The moves are really the bigger issue, though, I think.

I'm still stuck on the relationships with other types as my point for why Sound wouldn't work. I'm looking at the Azurite type chart for it and most of it makes no sense to me.

If I had to do it at gunpoint, I guess I would have Psychic be weak against it (loud noises disrupts their concentration), Flying be weak to it (the sound waves disrupt their flying?), Rock be weak to it (a loud enough noise can shatter stone maybe?). Ground would resist (because it outright stops the sound waves), Ghost either resists or is immune (because what the hell is noise going to do to a ghost?). Sound would be immune to itself. Other than that, I'm not sure

Eh. It's just too abstract to work for me, you know?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The real problem is that the type chart is nonsense to begin with.

I mean, ground and rock are both types.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tunicate posted:

#CombineGroundAndRockIntoEarth

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
gently caress that, divide every type arbitrarily.

Fire is now flame and lava; Grass is now leaf and vine; Ghosr is now gas and spirit; Electric is light and plasma;...

Also Sea is Water and Ice

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Zore posted:

I never understood why dark was special in the first place. I mean what part of a punch of underhanded evil monsters that like to beat up and steal from people screams special type to the designers? I mean it made by a freaking special mover for 2 gens, which is just silly.

edit: Plus there main reason for existing, balance wise, is ruining the day of psychic types, who are mostly know for having good special defense not regular defense.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 2, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zore posted:

gently caress that, divide every type arbitrarily.

Fire is now flame and lava; Grass is now leaf and vine; Ghosr is now gas and spirit; Electric is light and plasma;...

Also Sea is Water and Ice

Water should be divided into fresh and salt

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

I never understood why dark was special in the first place. I mean what part of a punch of underhanded evil monsters that like to beat up and steal from people screams special type to the designers? I mean it made by a freaking special mover for 2 gens, which is just silly.

I mean, Ghost and Dragon are right in the same boat there. Ghost was physical and the only pre gen 4 move that stayed that way after the split was Lick. And the vast majority of Dragon moves, once they started existing in Gen II, were things like Dragon Claw or Outrage.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Tunicate posted:

The difference it that Rock types are usually (not always, but usually) actually made out of rock, while Ground types live in the ground/underground or are otherwise associated with it in some way. :eng101:

Vorpal Cat posted:

The counterpart to that is 'why are Ghosts physical'?

The answer being, of course, that early Pokemon games are very, very rough and poorly put together.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Teenage me playing Sapphire thought Absol was so cool, but since its SpAtk was garbage, I just couldn't get one to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Zore posted:

I mean, Ghost and Dragon are right in the same boat there. Ghost was physical and the only pre gen 4 move that stayed that way after the split was Lick.

Actually the only ghost move that became special was shadow ball (well also night shade but that doesn't count). Meanwhile astonish and shadow punch both stayed physical making the count 3 physical to one special for pre gen 4 ghost moves.

• Locked thread