Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't mind people using cheatengine to bypass Street Fighter's 5 lovely fight money system so I don't mind people spoofing amiibos either.

Maybe Nintendo should stop locking on-disc content behind lovely toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Years ago, I got all of Metal Slug on my Vita when I wanted Metal Slug on the go. They run pretty smoothly as well!

They might eventually put the rest of the games on Switch.

lol true. Years ago happened to be way before the Vita released. Nowadays you can play metal slug on a toaster.

Totally diminishes the value of a non-zelda switch game, but its still one of my favorite games ever and I'm glad to see it here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Amiibo main "value" is as a collectible not for any of the in game functionality.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I honestly never thought I'd see the day when people talk of amiibo scalping not because of their rarity or their collectability, but because of the dumb useless NFC poo poo they do hahaha

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSzJj1c1z0

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also do you like Bayonetta? Because there is an actual countdown happening on Sega's website that is likely not an April Fools joke

Likely has nothing to do with that 8bit Bayonetta game that got released on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/567090/

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

People speculating this is Bayo 2 getting ported to PC/other systems lol they still don't get it only exists cause Nintendo funded, helped develop, and co-published it. Bayo 2 is never going to be on a not-Nintendo system :getin:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If Nintendo's going to leave a fuckton of money on the table by underproducing $15 trinkets and leaving them unobtainable except through scalpers and ridiculous markups I don't know why it matters tbh

they may not be robin hood but while you can make the argument of "not buying music on itunes affects the livelihood of the artists", the only people being bitten by this are scalpers and i'm not gonna lose any sleep over that

They print money with Amiibo, what the gently caress are you talking about lol.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Andrast posted:

I don't mind people using cheatengine to bypass Street Fighter's 5 lovely fight money system so I don't mind people spoofing amiibos either.

Maybe Nintendo should stop locking on-disc content behind lovely toys.

It's okay when Nintendo does it in a way that is just different enough from what sent people on gently caress Capcom diatribes (totally justified, as well) years ago.

It's the exact same mentality that drives people to defend their garbage virtual console practices. It bothers me, because I loving love me some Nintendo games, but I don't love the way the company handles their products unconditionally.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Spellman posted:

what if this functionality was activated using a game card or an eshop download

I'm looking forward to digital amiibos. It's like DLC you buy that unlocks things in several games!

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
A few days ago I realized I could use this extra-long HDMI cable I have to hook up my Switch dock, which is several feet away by the TV, to my main computer display. It's a 1440p monitor with multiple inputs and built-in speakers (that I've never used until now), which means it works perfectly for this Switch setup.

That combined with me finding out I could turn on the Switch remotely by holding the Home button has dramatically improved my experience playing Zelda.

This is the monitor I have by the way: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236452

At this point I no longer feel the need to use my TV for gaming. The monitor is much larger from my perspective and looks nicer.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Alternatively digital amiibos could be like "premium currency" in f2p games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

People speculating this is Bayo 2 getting ported to PC/other systems lol they still don't get it only exists cause Nintendo funded, helped develop, and co-published it. Bayo 2 is never going to be on a not-Nintendo system :getin:

It's probably for Bayo 1 which I may triple dip on since the Wii U port has some frame rate issues.

I hope Nintendo does the same thing for a Vanquish 2.:hellyeah:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mahoning posted:

They print money with Amiibo, what the gently caress are you talking about lol.

If a significant number of people are willing to buy amiibos for $50+ (and even with that can't because the amiibos just don't exist), that's money that would be going to Nintendo but is going to someone else (or nobody) instead.

I mean, unless the scalpers are all secretly employed by nintendo i guess

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Nintendo Switch is an other system :colbert:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm genuinely confused by the idea of people buying amiibos for their paltry and gimmicky in-game effects. They're cool Nintendo toys and I got a Samus for like $10 as opposed to whatever outrageous price they charge for the other Samus figures out there.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

unimportantguy posted:

I'm genuinely confused by the idea of people buying amiibos for their paltry and gimmicky in-game effects. They're cool Nintendo toys and I got a Samus for like $10 as opposed to whatever outrageous price they charge for the other Samus figures out there.

I had already bought the 8-bit Link, but I finally took it out of the packaging in hopes of getting the clothing in BotW from it.

I only got the hat and nothing else but rupees and other junk before I finished the game. :negative:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

unimportantguy posted:

BotW changed people. The need those ancient arrows.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The switch needs a real Tetris game and none of this payo mayo bologna

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can you not get classic clothes/wolf without amiibo? That would be weird since Zelda goes out of the way to almost hide it's amiibo functionality.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

Wtf is this post, is this real

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If a significant number of people are willing to buy amiibos for $50+ (and even with that can't because the amiibos just don't exist), that's money that would be going to Nintendo but is going to someone else (or nobody) instead.

I mean, unless the scalpers are all secretly employed by nintendo i guess

They're collectibles. They're only sought after if they're rare.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can you not get classic clothes/wolf without amiibo? That would be weird since Zelda goes out of the way to almost hide it's amiibo functionality.

There's a set of clothing tied to every "generation" of amiibo, plus Wolf Link, Epona, and several special weapons, that are completely unobtainable without amiibos. Getting all of it legitimately would be at least $90 for the armor and $150 when you add in the weapons, assuming you could find the already-impossible-to-find 30th Anniversary ones from last year at their retail price. That does not include the TP wolf amiibo that's only available (I think) from the collector's edition of TP HD.

Mahoning posted:

They're collectibles. They're only sought after if they're rare.

Or if you retroactively tie DLC to them! :v: BotW releasing made all the SSB Ganondorfs and Sheiks just vanish from every place locally.

e: lmfao, amazon

Ganondorf is going for $32, "only" double the retail price

Shiek is at $96, for an in-game mask.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 2, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I have all the Zelda amiibos and haven't scanned a single one in-game yet. I just buy them because Zelda is the only game I care to own trinkets for and Amiibos are cheaper than those $200 play action statues you see for Final Fantasy and other games. I mean, I do have a Shovel Knight Amiibo as well and will grab a Cloud whenever that gets released. Oh, I guess I do have one of those classic Mario ones I got for Mario Maker.... that was the only one I bought to use in games. The rest are just shelf candy.

I really don't want to scan them in-game until I am done and just want to play around. Feels like using a cheat code. Maybe when I do a second play through

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's really lame but I probably wouldn't use any of that stuff anyway. I like that this Link doesn't wear the traditional clothes.

I have the Wolf Link one (they do sell it separately from TP HD now) and I scanned it in once and it kinda annoyed me since he gives up Link's position when I'm trying to sneak around.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Can you upgrade the amiibo gear or is it purely cosmetic? I funny hat would be neat but if it severely limits my defense then I'd never really use it anyway.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

All of the amiibo gear is upgradable.

It is fairly expensive in star fragments and ores though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's upgradable but only some of it has sets. Aforementioned $96 Shiek mask doesn't count for the Shekiah set run speed bonus, for example. also costs what appears to be a ridiculous 10 star fragments to upgrade fully

The other sets have similar grind-tastic upgrade requirements, usually involving aforementioned star fragments, or multiple dragon scales/claws/horns. Most of them appear to only have the set bonus of master sword beam up, same as the Wild set, with the exception of the Fierce Deity set which seems to have the same qualities as the barbarian armor with +atk.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I have all five of the Breath of the Wild Amiibos. Getting a ton of stuff every day does make the game a lot easier.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Empress Brosephine posted:

It might not be a "real" Tetris, but at least it wasn't made by Ubisoft.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Rexroom posted:

It might not be a "real" Tetris, but at least it wasn't made by Ubisoft.

Can you play it in classic mode though?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

LionArcher posted:

Can you play it in classic mode though?

AFAIK you can. That is, by classic you mean a regular old game of Tetris.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Tetris DS or bust

(actually Tetris Ultimate for the 3DS is pretty good too)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CoasterMaster posted:

Tetris DS or bust

Nintendo developed Tetris will always be the best but Puyo Puyo Tetris is pretty good. I made a Japanese account to get the demo and it's so generous that I'm not sure I need to buy the full game now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Port TGMs 1-3 to Switch please.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CoasterMaster posted:

Tetris DS or bust

I haven't kept up with Tetris, but from what I recall the DS title was somewhat derided for featuring infinite spin, which let you just keep a piece in play and tumble it across the play field as long as it doesn't get stuck. Did they get rid of that in future titles, or is that just part of Tetris now?

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

404notfound posted:

I haven't kept up with Tetris, but from what I recall the DS title was somewhat derided for featuring infinite spin, which let you just keep a piece in play and tumble it across the play field as long as it doesn't get stuck. Did they get rid of that in future titles, or is that just part of Tetris now?

Tetris Ultimate let you enable or disable it if I remember correctly

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's part of the Tetris-Company-standardized modern ruleset now. Alongside being able to store a piece and see three pieces ahead.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

yeah bayonetta 2 is never going on a non-nintendo platform, that's the definition of wishful thinking. i wouldn't be surprised to see bayonetta 1 remastered for other platforms but nintendo was so closely involved with the sequel and there's nintendo stuff all over the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's part of the Tetris-Company-standardized modern ruleset now. Alongside being able to store a piece and see three pieces ahead.

What the gently caress is this noob level piss baby watered down bullshit?

Not getting the long piece when you need it builds character, you don't get to "store" any pieces, deal with it and git gud.

• Locked thread