Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mister Olympus posted:

Don't forget:

Yeah, but that's hardly unique to Rall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh ok so any and all forms of science and discovery are evil liberal plots got it.

Like, I don't think that's what he's getting at but it's the only message I can discern.

No you had it right the first time.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh ok so any and all forms of science and discovery are evil liberal plots got it.

Like, I don't think that's what he's getting at but it's the only message I can discern.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

This is the best rebuttal of Mr. Party of Personal Responsibility:

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Xander77 posted:

What would you say are the quintessential Rall cartoons? The most edgelord, the most ignorant of basic perspective and anatomy, and most utterly incompetent?

Also, whoever wrote up My War with Brian and 1984 - do I have your permission to repost elsewhere?

The graphic novels were before my time and I don't have archives, but over the past couple of years I've had plenty of exposure to Rall's more regular output. If you're looking for edgelord, you'll enjoy my personal Rall sampler:

Rall is more accomplished than Roger Ebert:

And a teacher who saved her students' lives:

And Nelson Mandela:

Rall hates firefighters:

And trans people:

And gay people:

And widows:

And disabled kids. This one actually cost him his position at the time:

Speaking of Rall's job, Todd Rall knows the real victim of the Charlie Hebdo attack (spoilers: it's Rall):

This one was in response to people criticizing his grape-flavored Obama:

Here's his hit piece on Pat Tillman. When the truth came out regarding the circumstances of Tillman's death, Rall claimed responsibility for "starting a conversation":

Here's entry 87453 in a running series the thread has come to call "Throw the first brick, you pussy":

Here's Rall's contribution to that timeless genre, "White man explains why the accomplishments of minorities don't really count":

Here's a review from Rall's website, perhaps better titled "Man in Glass House Throws Grenade". I'm including it mostly for the line, "Another piece by someone who has had more success than me":
http://rall.com/2013/04/18/cartoon-critique

While Rall's current kick is complaining about how people aren't resisting Trump violently enough, his output in the run-up to the election mostly consisted of insisting that voting was futile and shaming anyone who thought that Hillary was a preferable option to Trump. I didn't bother to save any of those, since I was basically tripping over them anyway.

I'm also including some choice edits the thread has produced. I'm afraid I no longer have the attributions, so if this is your work, step on up and claim your prize:

Any full write-up on Rall should also include something about his bizarre beef with Maus author Art Spiegelman. Rall views Spiegelman as some sort of Cartoon Kingpin of Crime, blaming him for shutting Rall out of New York's underground comics scene. I'm not sure if Spiegelman himself has actually ever heard of Rall, or if, like Ebert, this was just Rall trying to raise his profile by making GBS threads on someone famous and respected. Either way, it's Rall punching way, way above his weight class.

I'm sure this thread can point you to plenty of other Rall classics, but these are the ones that most immediately jumped out to me. Enjoy?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

It's an illegal aliens joke.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

I was the exact same way. His comics used to get published in my local alt weekly when I was a teenager. I thought he was pretty funny, though not as good as Derf. Then once the internet was more of a thing, and I got to see more of his work, and the personality behind that work, I decided that he was basically a worthless prick.

Oh, and when I said so on some random blog I was starting up (where said post was the only content on the site), he found said post within an hour and made an angry reply. Think about the devotion to googling ones self that the alacrity of that response to such a tiny, insignificant speck requires.

I wish I'd kept it for posterity, but I basically just called him a talentless egomaniac, one of my friends trolled him for a few posts, and then I forgot about it for a while, and eventually wound up deleting the site because I had better things to do with the server space.

I'll admit to once being the same way, though I was introduced to him through his work in Mad. Understanding his thought process has done a lot to cha thing my perceptions of those strips.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Wasn't Ted Rall the one who did a whole "pay for the privilege to watch me eat" thing years ago? I can't remember what site it was being done through but it amounted to if you pay for all expenses, Ted agrees with the chosen restaurant/lodging, and thinks you're interesting enough... you get to talk to him. For a while.

Am I crazy or was that a thing he did? I'm trying to search for it but I'm not finding anything.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I think that was on Ebay. Yeah.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

King Superman posted:

Any full write-up on Rall should also include something about his bizarre beef with Maus author Art Spiegelman. Rall views Spiegelman as some sort of Cartoon Kingpin of Crime, blaming him for shutting Rall out of New York's underground comics scene. I'm not sure if Spiegelman himself has actually ever heard of Rall, or if, like Ebert, this was just Rall trying to raise his profile by making GBS threads on someone famous and respected. Either way, it's Rall punching way, way above his weight class.
Art Spiegelman on Ted Rall:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

King Superman posted:

I'm sure this thread can point you to plenty of other Rall classics, but these are the ones that most immediately jumped out to me. Enjoy?

Nowadays a write-up of Rall should also mention that he's repeatedly taken money from Russian propaganda outlets. I'm not clear on how far back that's been happening, but you can now fins his stuff with Sputnik credit on it and everything. He's been a tool of their for a while.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Discendo Vox posted:

Nowadays a write-up of Rall should also mention that he's repeatedly taken money from Russian propaganda outlets. I'm not clear on how far back that's been happening, but you can now fins his stuff with Sputnik credit on it and everything. He's been a tool of their for a while.

Isn't Rall also the only person to make the LAPD look like calm and reasonable people?

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

King Superman posted:

And gay people:

He doesn't HATE gay people! He just wants us to not take on normal heterosexual lifestyles. He wants us to be equal, but just separate. Thank Gay Jesus that we have such a noble straight man such as Ted Rall, who is willing to shoulder the burden of telling me how I should, as a gay man, live my life.

Ironically, though, my partner and I have 0 interest in serving in the military, having a formal marriage ceremony, or adopting kids. That said, knowing Ted Rall thinks I MUST live this way or be transformed into a 0 Kinsey Scale heterosexual kinda makes me want to go buy a ring and start looking at adoption paperwork, just to show him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crazycryodude posted:

The idea is that liberals are only pro-immigration because immigrants are more likely to vote for them. It's the conclusion you jump to when you're so deeply mired in racist attitudes that you think everyone else is just as racist as you.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Some old cartoons from the awesome tumblr Yesterday's Print:

St. Louis Post Dispatch, March 4, 1910

Evansville Press, March 27, 1913

Brooklyn Daily Eagle, May 2, 1923

San Bernardino County Sun, April 20, 1929

The Winnipeg Tribune, September 30, 1939 #BlueLivesMatter

Ladies Home Journal, July 1948

Ladies Home Journal/Colliers, May 1949

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

I made this one, and still consider "@keenspot.com" the best part

This one was by Neeksy.

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Wasn't Ted Rall the one who did a whole "pay for the privilege to watch me eat" thing years ago? I can't remember what site it was being done through but it amounted to if you pay for all expenses, Ted agrees with the chosen restaurant/lodging, and thinks you're interesting enough... you get to talk to him. For a while.

Am I crazy or was that a thing he did? I'm trying to search for it but I'm not finding anything.

He would also present you one copy of one of his books, which he would select.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Speaking of Rall....

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I made this one, and still consider "@keenspot.com" the best part

Thank you for your service. The keenspot part went over my head the first time, but looking it up now, and that reminds me, doesn't Rall also have some bizarre hate-on for webcomics? I gather :thejoke:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

King Possum III posted:

Speaking of Rall....

I'm guessing this is a genuine Rall only because the parody would have added a Hitler.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pants Donkey posted:

Interesting thought: I don't think I've ever seen a conservative/transphobic cartoonist acknowledge the existence of trans men.

If the right wing troglodytes I work with are any barometer, it's because "trans men" are just ugly lesbians. No other type exists.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

King Superman posted:

The graphic novels were before my time and I don't have archives, but over the past couple of years I've had plenty of exposure to Rall's more regular output. If you're looking for edgelord, you'll enjoy my personal Rall sampler:
Thanks. I had some of these, but others will be useful. Where are you getting decent sized cartoons from btw? Like a lot of other lovely political cartoonists (forgive the tautology) the copies Rall puts up on his own website are for ants.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only things you really need to know about Rall are: 1) he made a comic in which he claims to have literally gutted a fellow student in shop class because the guy was a bully and 2) he had a fake wart burrow into an artery causing fake massive bleeding and requiring a fake transfusion. Despite being claiming there was an HIV scare regarding tainted donor blood at the time, Rall never got tested and continued to sleep around.

Dude is like a shining example about how you can have mostly correct opinions and still be a massive rear end in a top hat and terrible human being nonetheless.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

King Superman posted:

Thank you for your service. The keenspot part went over my head the first time, but looking it up now, and that reminds me, doesn't Rall also have some bizarre hate-on for webcomics? I gather :thejoke:

Keenspot started off as a haven for extremely ugly, dumb, and self-serious trash, even compared to other webcomics. They're slightly less ugly now on average but that's about it.

Pants Donkey posted:

The only things you really need to know about Rall are: 1) he made a comic in which he claims to have literally gutted a fellow student in shop class because the guy was a bully and 2) he had a fake wart burrow into an artery causing fake massive bleeding and requiring a fake transfusion. Despite being claiming there was an HIV scare regarding tainted donor blood at the time, Rall never got tested and continued to sleep around.

Dude is like a shining example about how you can have mostly correct opinions and still be a massive rear end in a top hat and terrible human being nonetheless.

Again, I really loving love the stories Ted Rall tells to make himself look cool.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 2, 2017

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I know we've moved on from Lester's lovely wrestling cartoon but I want to say that the timing makes it even more of a lovely cartoon than usual since the Transgender Day of Visibility was the day before.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

The only things you really need to know about Rall are: 1) he made a comic in which he claims to have literally gutted a fellow student in shop class because the guy was a bully

I believe that was even one of the events which he claimed were true in a court of law. If someone still has the link to the transcript from the last time it was posted, they should post it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Again, I really loving love the stories Ted Rall tells to make himself look cool.

Nothing will ever top Ted saying he led a riot against his unlawful arrest by crooked cops, only for the cops to release a recording of the incident where he mostly mumbles, and chats with the officer about local restaurants.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rall also did a piece about the time he was harassed, cuffed and physically assaulted by a police officer who then threw his wallet down a stormdrain. Then the LAPD tracked down the audio recording of the incident which demonstrated a very polite policeman warning Rall about something, and then the two of them making small talk about restaurants in the area.

Rall insists to this day that the audio actually proves his story was true.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Also, he once murdered a homeless man for no reason.

This is an actual anecdote Rall told to a colleague.

And he straight-up butchered 1984 in order to make a lovely edgy version of it, and managed to miss almost all of the book's major themes in the process. 1984 is not a subtle book.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Rall also did a piece about the time he was harassed, cuffed and physically assaulted by a police officer who then threw his wallet down a stormdrain. Then the LAPD tracked down the audio recording of the incident which demonstrated a very polite policeman warning Rall about something, and then the two of them making small talk about restaurants in the area.

Rall insists to this day that the audio actually proves his story was true.

No but see the audio was altered by police hackers and Rall only needs a few thousand dollars in donations to hire a forensic audio expert to clean it up and finally he'll be proven right

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also, his art hurts to look at

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pants Donkey posted:

Considering his newest comic, even saying he has mostly correct opinions is pretty off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somfin posted:

And he straight-up butchered 1984 in order to make a lovely edgy version of it, and managed to miss almost all of the book's major themes in the process. 1984 is not a subtle book.

Please don't remind me, it was actually physically painful to read that thing. :gonk:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jerusalem posted:

Please don't remind me, it was actually physically painful to read that thing. :gonk:

Didn't someone post and dissect that in a previous version of this thread? We should do that again...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pants Donkey posted:

2) he had a fake wart burrow into an artery causing fake massive bleeding and requiring a fake transfusion. Despite being claiming there was an HIV scare regarding tainted donor blood at the time, Rall never got tested and continued to sleep around.

I was going down a checklist of: Ebert, Mandela, Spiegelman, firefighters (anyone got the "firefighters shooting people" parody?), teacher, Charlie Hebdo, my war with Brian, 1984, LAPD, Danny Hellman, sad blowjob, everyone is Hitler, purple Obama, drones, trying to suck up to Trump (anyone got the "please contact me" tweet?), "I once pushed a hobo onto rail tracks"... and there's probably a bunch of stuff like rhis I still managed to miss. How much of a pure shitstain can one person be?

Discendo Vox posted:

Didn't someone post and dissect that in a previous version of this thread? We should do that again...
I'm pretty sure it was Somfin. Hey Somfin:

Xander77 posted:

Also, whoever wrote up My War with Brian and 1984 - do I have your permission to repost elsewhere?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 2, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funny.

And the excellent (albeit uncredited, naughty boy) homage by Deep Hurting:

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Xander77 posted:

Thanks. I had some of these, but others will be useful. Where are you getting decent sized cartoons from btw? Like a lot of other lovely political cartoonists (forgive the tautology) the copies Rall puts up on his own website are for ants.

I don't recall. I just accumulated them over time. Mostly I'd save a copy when someone posted a particularly heinous one in the thread, but I also googled for a few I remembered just using "Rall" and the subject matter. Then I put them on imgur for easier hosting.

If you're making some sort of Rall effortpost, I like forward to seeing it (as much as I can look forward to anything Rall, at least). Like I said, I haven't actually seen anything from his graphic novels (though I know the broad strokes), so a review of those will be exciting.

Typing this up, I remembered that Rall once wrote a graphic biography for Trump, and got really jittery when Trump ignored his requests for an interview. Remembering that caused me to remember that for months and months, Rall's utterly unrecognizable Trump caricature (as seen here) had bright orange hair. Trump's hair has been his most recognizable/joke-foddery feature for decades, and Rall couldn't even get that right.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Forums Superstar and Ghost in the Shell Avatar Enthusiast fool_of_sound laid out the basics, but we can't forget the ever-present narcissism.

• He has claimed that he and one other equally untalented political cartoonist (whose name escapes me at the moment) are the only relevant cartoonists on the planet, and the rest should stop working in order to give him and the other cartoonist more attention.
  • In that vein, he gets really salty whenever another cartoonist is honored for anything.
  • He has an entire comic (mentioned a few posts back) about how much smarter than Ebert he is, and how Ebert could never defeat his argument that "Citizen Kane is boring". He posted this comic as a response to Ebert's death, I believe.
  • His autobiographical comic is essentially "And then this woman walked up to me and was like 'Ted Rall you are so smart and funny and talented and handsome. I want to make a sex on you.' and then we made a sex and she had like a million orgasms and gave me $100 and told me I was the best sexhaver that totally had a sex."
  • His idea of chronicling life in Afghanistan was basically "So I showed up in Afghanistan. I wore the same clothes as the locals and wondered around without a guide. They were all super-impressed with me, Ted Rall, and told me I was the only real journalist in Afghanistan. I know the names of the garments I'm wearing, BTW. It's, like, a super-hard name."
  • He got into a slapfight with Scott Kurtz, and SCOTT MOTHERFUCKING KURTZ came out looking like the calm, rational, well-centered one.
  • Has claimed that he is the voice of his generation, despite all evidence to the contrary.
In summation, when I was spellchecking this post, it recommended that I change the word "highschooler" from the quote of your post to "preschooler", and I don't think that there's a better metaphor for everything Ted Rall is.

The best part of Ted Rall is that that's a SECOND summary of what a poo poo he is and STILL misses some key bits of Ted Rall assholery like:

He wrote a book about a dude that "bullied" him in high school, in reality Ted Rall was a loving psychopath who tried to kill the other kid multiple times and brags about it like we're supposed to think he's the cool one in all that. Also it's 95% stdnh.txt
He claims Art Spiegelman, the dude who wrote Maus, was "capitalizing" on his father being a holocaust survivor to get attention and accolades that instead should have gone to Ted Rall.
Ted Rall claims the LAPD brutalized him needlessly, LAPD produced the tapes instead showing that Ted Rall was a snippy shithead and largely got away with it. He was fired from the LA Times for lying, and this is in fact just proof the LA Times are secretly controlled by the LAPD and out to silence the genius that is Ted Rall.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Somfin.

That was me! I've lost where the hell I made all those posts, though. I wouldn't mind doing a bit of an edit in a few places, if it's okay, but hell yes spread that poo poo far and wide. (I hadn't actually read 1984 for the first few posts and there's a couple of jabs that I'd like to tighten up a bit, or draw more attention to, like holy gently caress Rall's stand-in for the Junior Anti-Sex League doomsday cult is just regular feminism what the gently caress)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Somfin posted:

That was me! I've lost where the hell I made all those posts, though. I wouldn't mind doing a bit of an edit in a few places, if it's okay, but hell yes spread that poo poo far and wide. (I hadn't actually read 1984 for the first few posts and there's a couple of jabs that I'd like to tighten up a bit, or draw more attention to, like holy gently caress Rall's stand-in for the Junior Anti-Sex League doomsday cult is just regular feminism what the gently caress)
Sure. Post here or PM or email me with whatever you want to change.

Someone mentioned that they don't have archives and wouldn't mind seeing the whole thing(s) reposted, and since that's the path that would require the least effort on my part, I'm entirely for it.

I'd probably make a (public) imgur post separate from the Rall profile, and link within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He filed a spurious defamation lawsuit against fellow cartoonist David Hellman for sending emails round in character as "Rall's Balls"

• Locked thread